Pet diversity needed

We need a patch adding healing to every pet. 
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• gaygay Posts: 358
    There is plenty of pet diversity. If you would like to use a pet with healing these are your options, https://www.uo-cah.com/pet-search#r.

There is a mountable pet and multiple non-mountable pets, nobody is forcing you to not use any specific pet. Enjoy!

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    gay said:
    There is plenty of pet diversity. If you would like to use a pet with healing these are your options, https://www.uo-cah.com/pet-search#r.

There is a mountable pet and multiple non-mountable pets, nobody is forcing you to not use any specific pet. Enjoy!

Pets with healing always stronger than those without 
    McDougle said:
    gay said:

Sure, and the fact that there are some with and without, and some of those with are not the perfect ideal pets to use is what is called "diversity". You choose to use a pet understanding that it isn't as niche as another pet, and vice versa.

At this point I'm not even certain you understand the actual meaning of diversity.
    Yas eeyes is not smart but i would like to see something beside Triton and cu and even as dum as i is i under hand der be udder pets but we talkin likes 90% Triton/cu be dat diverse to u
    I'm pretty sure google translate just blocked my IP for trying to figure out what you wrote, but let's focus on the subject of your original post and the last 6 words you wrote.

"Pet diversity needed" Giving all pets the same ability is not making them diverse.

"Triton/cu be dat diverse to u" Actually yes, because there are so many pets that don't have healing that I would choose to use, and having two of the five other pets in my stable to make use of depending on the situation means that I have a diverse stable.

Pets all have their own way of fitting into the game in the form of when they were added, so that they can match the lore of the expansion at the time, and it's that factor primarily which goes into deciding what natural abilities they have. And to be perfectly honest, it doesn't make any practical sense whatsoever that non-humanoid pets with no opposable thumbs to speak of can use healing at all. So I would argue that healing should be removed from them completely.

Also what you're looking for isn't diversity in pets. It's diversity in pets with healing, to which the solution isn't to give every pet healing. A more reasonable solution would be to add healing as a thing that can be trained at the cost of points.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Ya @gay I thought this thread was going to ask for new damage types or pets with other natural specials.

Alas it is a thread asking for less diversity.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Pets with HEALING and trainable to 5 slot
    Cu Sidhe
    Lion
    Sabre-Toothed Tiger
    Triceratops
    Triton
    How many more do you think we need
    Pets with HEALING and trainable to 5 slot
    Cu Sidhe
    Lion
    Sabre-Toothed Tiger
    Triceratops
    Triton
    How many more do you think we need
    Three of those are the same pet. All those Eodon pets do 100% physical damage, can only get poison as a magic, and have the same ability choices.

So you can make a Sabre-Toothed Lion.
    So what other pet types do you want to have healing
    edited February 2022
    I guarantee that if they made a new Equine type pet that was able to be built as well as a Cu, and had healing, it would become the most popular pet.

Players have asked for the Silver Steed.

I prefer the Push Me Pull You.  One head does 100% fire damage, the other does 100% cold damage.  It spins around as it attacks. 

So what other pet types do you want to have healing
    I would like new pets that have mixes of non physical damage.  That have enough points to build well.

Things like 50% poison 50% Fire.  Or 25% of 2 elementals and 50 of another.

Healing optional if these pets start like a Lesser Hiryu or a 2 slot Reptalon.  With no inherent specials.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I would like to see an ancient hellhound pet trainable with all magic that has native life leech instead of healing to start.  Damage could be split cold/poison.
    On the topic of Equine types. I would like to see them re-vamp pack instincts to work with pets in the same party. With the changes to taming and the majority of pets being built taken to 3 or 5 slots as finished pets, it's pretty rare to see pack instinct groups anymore (granted they do exist and can be extremely effective). And then cap the amount of same-type pets that benefit from pack instincts within a party to five. And then maybe flesh out the pets that don't currently have any sort of inherit pack instincts.

Expected results:
    Pack instinct now extends across parties, meaning tamers who team up to take on encounters can now benefit from using the same pack-type pets.

Party-wide pack instinct (PWPI): Pets that are the same pack-type will gain bonus damage while their controllers are part of the same party. Any pets that are the same-type within a party will automatically be added to each other's PWPI up to a maximum of five same-type pets.
    The same target limitations apply towards PWPI as with PI standard PI, all creatures hoping to benefit from PWPI/PI must be engaged with the same target.

Scenario:
    10 Person Group: Five 5-slot Fire Steeds, Ten 1-slot Wolf Spiders, Three 5-Slot Cu Sidhes.
    The Fire Steeds have their own PWPI and benefit to the maximum capacity for bonus damage of 100%
    The Wolf Spiders also benefit to the maximum capacity of PWPI, this would be the case with or without a party.
    The Cu Sidhes have no pack instinct so they do not benefit from PWPI, however if there was a pack instinct for them (Canine for example) then they would gain 50% increase to their damage with PWPI.
    Or ask them to be able to use Healing PSs on all pets.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited February 2022
    McDougle said:
    gay said:

Depends on your template (SW/Tamers can use GoR on pet for heals, and Disco/Tamers debuff the victim so they deal less damage to pet), and what you're hunting. When going for maximum single target damage output, i'll use a 120 Chiv+AI Crimson/Platinum Drake (or Frost Drake) with 100% damage type that matches the victim's weakest Resist. For buffing group damage output, i'll use a RC+AP Fire Beetle/Frost Mite. For dishing out AoE damage, i'll use a FWW+PB Najasaurus. Against certain foes, i'll use Berserk with a 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Ram and laugh at the absurd damage output. Against some real hard hitters with non-Physical majority damage (like Putrifier), i'll use a 120 Chiv+AI Triton.

For buffing my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © damage, i use a 120 Disco+CB Triton. Hit a new Death Ray tick record on Wednesday, 1,325 damage Death Ray tick with an Undead Slayer spellbook against a Sampire Captain in Blackthorn's.

I actually rarely use Cu Sidhes anymore.

It's all about having a wide variety of pets in the stables, and knowing which one is the best tool for the job at hand.
    Cu Sidhes honestly seem like, and no offense to people who love them, noob bait pets in all aspects.

They're great entry level pets and will get the job done, but between their bugged walking speed for pvp (they're slower than every other pet, which might be an oversight in an effort to address old stambugged cu sidhes specifically pre-taming changes that just carried over and wasn't noticed) and their mana sink bleed for pvm. There are so many better options out there.

But they do have a great aesthetic appeal to them, and one of these days I'll brick a blaze for pvp purposes.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    gay said:
    Cu Sidhes honestly seem like, and no offense to people who love them, noob bait pets in all aspects.

They're great entry level pets and will get the job done, but between their bugged walking speed for pvp (they're slower than every other pet, which might be an oversight in an effort to address old stambugged cu sidhes specifically pre-taming changes that just carried over and wasn't noticed) and their mana sink bleed for pvm. There are so many better options out there.

But they do have a great aesthetic appeal to them, and one of these days I'll brick a blaze for pvp purposes.
    Cu and tritons are great general purpose pets.  They have great survivability and with Chiv AI have pretty decent damage output.  As other posters have pointed out you can get specialized pets to match damage types to resists or enhance parties, but that generally requires a large stable full of specialized pets.
    If you lore mobs that have ??? HP.  You will find that one of their 3 lowest resists is cold or energy.

Dreadhorn is the only peerless that is low in physical resist.

So not sure what ???  HP mob you are fighting that does not have one or two of the 3 lowest resists as cold or energy.

Can you provide an example?

Also the tough paragons for the dynamic dungeons have been lowest in cold or energy or both.

The next combination to hit 2 of the 3 lowest resists would be Poison and Fire.  But some things have 100% poison resist.

Maybe you should Lore things. 

Pet Speed is based on dexterity.  Most pets cap at 150.  So I'm not sure where you came up with Cu Sidhes are slow.  Tritons, Frost dragon, new drakes, Tsuki Wolves, phoenix  can have higher than 150. May be more, those off the top of my head.  Dex is capped at 190 on pets even if they have more.

All pets with 150 dexterity walk at the same speed.  Build a 3 slot Dragon wolf their str is so high, they can't get 150 dex. They walk slow. A fresh Triceratops walks very slow because they start with low Dex.

gay said:

edited February 2022
    Pawain said:
    Pet Speed is based on dexterity.  Most pets cap at 150.  So I'm not sure where you came up with Cu Sidhes are slow.  Tritons, Frost dragon, new drakes, Tsuki Wolves, phoenix  can have higher than 150. May be more, those off the top of my head.  Dex is capped at 190 on pets even if they have more.

All pets with 150 dexterity walk at the same speed.  Build a 3 slot Dragon wolf their str is so high, they can't get 150 dex. They walk slow. A fresh Triceratops walks very slow because they start with low Dex.

gay said:

Correct, this is not an unknown factor in pet speed. It's been known that pet's dexterity affects their movement speed for over 15 years now. The issue is unique to cu sidhes and has been tested extensively, the only plausible conclusion that could be surmised was that given how cu sidhes in the past were stat bugged (Known as stam bugged, and stam being directly correlated to dexterity) and how the devs of those eras specifically targeted cu sidhes to "normalize" their speed to be more in line with that of 125 dexterity pets. Now that it is possible to reach 150 dexterity through training (on pets that dont overcap dex) it's believed that this intentional change towards tamed cu sidhes is still in effect and was overlooked. And considering that the team who implemented this normalization change was a completely different team than what worked on the taming overhaul, paired with the fact that it's been widely noted how unorganized internal development was catalogued during the earlier years, it's not so farfetched a theory.
  • Maybe the way to go would be pet breeding and different cross breeding could possibly create rare pets with rare abilities

gay said:
    Pawain said:

gay said:

Correct, this is not an unknown factor in pet speed. It's been known that pet's dexterity affects their movement speed for over 15 years now. The issue is unique to cu sidhes and has been tested extensively, the only plausible conclusion that could be surmised was that given how cu sidhes in the past were stat bugged (Known as stam bugged, and stam being directly correlated to dexterity) and how the devs of those eras specifically targeted cu sidhes to "normalize" their speed to be more in line with that of 125 dexterity pets. Now that it is possible to reach 150 dexterity through training (on pets that dont overcap dex) it's believed that this intentional change towards tamed cu sidhes is still in effect and was overlooked. And considering that the team who implemented this normalization change was a completely different team than what worked on the taming overhaul, paired with the fact that it's been widely noted how unorganized internal development was catalogued during the earlier years, it's not so farfetched a theory.
    Please provide a link to this extensive testing you are talking about.  @Pawain may be an ass at times on other matters but Pets and Pet Training is not one of them and has done MANY write up about the Pros and Cons of MANY Builds, I am 10000000000000% positive that if there were a STAM Bug with Cus he would know.  Will await your Link to this extensive testing you talk about.
    gay said:
    Pawain said:

gay said:

Please provide a link to this extensive testing you are talking about.  @ Pawain may be an ass at times on other matters but Pets and Pet Training is not one of them and has done MANY write up about the Pros and Cons of MANY Builds, I am 10000000000000% positive that if there were a STAM Bug with Cus he would know.  Will await your Link to this extensive testing you talk about.
    Very early he said it was a issue in pvp something neither you or Allen would know 
    McDougle said:
    gay said:
    Pawain said:

gay said:

Please provide a link to this extensive testing you are talking about.  @ Pawain may be an ass at times on other matters but Pets and Pet Training is not one of them and has done MANY write up about the Pros and Cons of MANY Builds, I am 10000000000000% positive that if there were a STAM Bug with Cus he would know.  Will await your Link to this extensive testing you talk about.
    Very early he said it was a issue in pvp something neither you or Allen would know 
    At the end he says it is a theory. So, not something I want to argue about.

I just know pets have poor AI when it comes to following you.  Try running to the end of Yomotsu mines with a pet in tow.

Of_Beasts said:
    Maybe the way to go would be pet breeding and different cross breeding could possibly create rare pets with rare abilities

Yes!  We asked for this when pub 97 came out.  Would all the pets in UO lay eggs?  Or would they work like plants? Pet breeding could be fun.  
    McDougle said:
    gay said:
    Pawain said:

gay said:

Hard to believe that Pups are bugged in PvP only with a Stam Bug
    edited February 2022
    There is no "stam bug with cu sidhes". This was a stat bug with all potential pets that involved cursing an animal, taming it, releasing it, re-taming it. And it was fixed over a decade ago. It just so happened that before the taming re-vamp there were pets that still existed and had what was then "over capped" stats. Namely in strength and dexterity+Stam and the predominant pets that were most notorious for this were cu sidhes, followed by hiryus, however cu sidhes were the most popular.

The term stambugged came to be because dexterity was fixed but the stamina portion remained overcap and at the time there was dev focus solely on cu sidhes as that was the pet most associated with the "bug" at the time. Which led to devs of the time referring to "normalizing speeds of the cu sidhe" due to a large number of misconstrued instances of "cu sidhes skipping tiles" after the dex fix, which as anyone who's ever said all kill and targeted something more than a few tiles away should know, pet skipping (or jumping) happens with all mounted pets.

And then sometime during the current iteration of the taming system, those old prepatched "stam bugged" cu sidhes were once again altered, most likely during one of the multiple pet reverts to address more recently exploited pets ( which btw @Mesanna you guys missed a lot of non-1 slot pets like banes and cu sidhes).

For example, this cu sidhe is pre patched and is about 16 years old, it used to have 141 stamina and 125 dex. I can't say when the dex+stam were altered as I've only played this character maybe twice since the original taming changes, and I never did any combat training with the pet.

Well those Cus are pretty useless now.  Not much you can do with a Cu that starts at 4 slots.
    Pawain said:
    Well those Cus are pretty useless now.  Not much you can do with a Cu that starts at 4 slots.

Pretty much lol. Point is cu sidhes have caught a lot of dev focus even before the taming revamp. Friend of mine recorded a lot of his speed/movement testing with cu sidhes though, I'll ask him if he still has them but I wouldn't hold my breath, it's been a couple years now. I was gonna go through the publish/hotfix archives because I remember reading about that specific old bug being addressed in the past, but my god that archive/wiki takes like five mines per page to load anything.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    A pet with healing isn't always the best option.  For example in some situations, my bushido lesser hiryu can out survive my cu sidhe. A pet with the right damage output kills faster and therefore has less need of healing - besides, isn't it the tamer's job to keep the pet healed? That's why my tamers have vet skill.
    My own wish list for pet diversity revolves around an idea I had to have one tamer with only rideables.  I did fine for elemental damage diversity until I got to 'cold', but unless I've missed one, I could find no rideable that had majority cold damage.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    I fail to understand why, "pre-training-release-publish"  CU-Sidhes could not be reverted to 3 slots as those that currently spawn....

I mean, with UO players returning to the game after Years, there can likely be many UO Tamers having CU-Sidhes (and Greater Dragons or other already tamed pets) in their Stables from before the Pets' Training Publish and I do not see "why" they should just throw those pets away, when they had, before stopping playing UO, lots of fun and memories associated with those pets.

I mean, there is no reason why the Designers should penalize these older Tamers and force them to have to discard their pre-Training Publish stabled pets because the Designers do not offer a "conversion" mechanics of those pets to a number of slots that would permit for their training in line with what new tamed pets permit.

Sure, it would take Developers' time, no doubt, yet, we want to see older UO players come back and return to UO but then, penalize them with their old pets stabled from before the Pets' Training Publish and, thus, make their returning to the game more penalizing, rather then helping them out to keep their old pets and convert them to the new Training mechanics ?

Makes no sense to me.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    A pet with healing isn't always the best option.  For example in some situations, my bushido lesser hiryu can out survive my cu sidhe. A pet with the right damage output kills faster and therefore has less need of healing - besides, isn't it the tamer's job to keep the pet healed? That's why my tamers have vet skill.
    My own wish list for pet diversity revolves around an idea I had to have one tamer with only rideables.  I did fine for elemental damage diversity until I got to 'cold', but unless I've missed one, I could find no rideable that had majority cold damage.
     A pet with the right damage output kills faster and therefore has less need of healing - besides, isn't it the tamer's job to keep the pet healed? That's why my tamers have vet skill.

Too bad, though, that with MoBs doing area effect damage a lot more now, and with MoBs (particularly the paragons at the "Treasures of" Events) not only revealing across anything and at very large distance, but also always retargeting from the Pet onto the Tamer, make healing them closely with Veterinary, almost impossible, if not flat out impossible.... sometimes, healing with Greater Heals becomes way difficult with the MoBs always retargeting onto the tamer and hardly staying focused on the pet.... 

Break aggro with invising ? Hardly possible when the automatic reveals reveal the Tamer BEFORE the timer to loose aggro from the MoB ticks...

At the very least, the Designers should introduce a timer for MoBs reveals whereas a Reveal would ONLY kick in AFTER the loose aggro was ticked.... therefore, even if a Tamer got Revealed by a Paragon, for example, that Paragon would no longer be aggroed on the Tamer who hid to break that aggro and, thus, it would not be having those MoBs always sticking on the Tamer because of the way that the mechanics is now....
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    edited February 2022
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    I fail to understand why, "pre-training-release-publish"  CU-Sidhes could not be reverted to 3 slots as those that currently spawn....

To my knowledge they already did this years ago when they introduced pet training; I wasn't around for that but a friend of mine told me about it when I returned and asked why my 4.5 star cu sidhe (back when that was the rating measurement) was a 4 slot instead of a 3 slot that I could tame.

I don't know the exact details because I wasn't around when they "fixed" these pets that were bumped up a slot but from what I understand if you emailed the Devs they would show up and adjust the slots down without reducing the power/stats due to there being so many. So for a small period people were able to train their "average" pet up to the next level and then make a claim that their pet was broken (ie bumped up a slot) which essentially gave them an even stronger pet because a GM would just show up and reduce the slot by 1 without touching the stats. It was limited but my understanding is that those pets still exist.