Mage Dismount spell please.

CookieCookie Posts: 1,301
edited May 6 in General Discussions
In current PvP, Dismount damage trains are basically an IWIN button.

Ranged have dismount abilities with their weapons, Warriors have dismount abilities with their weapons, there is a generic for all Bola ability which takes off a mages shield.

Please can Mages have a Dismount spell. Of course we would have to be on foot to cast it.

Please make Mages equal.

I would quite happily fight on foot, and would like to force everyone else on foot, like they currently do to mages.

Would make it a lot of fun, and equal the playing field.

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,301
    edited May 6
    If you want, this can be the new Additional 65th spell, you can add into my Mage Offensive properties spell book I am after. :)
    edited May 6
    Extra concept.

In the same way Warriors can use all the different weapons, and many overpowered specials, please create a method for Mages to access all spells, from all Mage schools :)

Make a quest, or set a reward, for obtaining all Avatar Virtues, then let them customise their own spellbook - choosing say 50-60 spells.

Make it the top level Inscription reward maybe.
    To be able to Inscribe a spellbook with customised spell choice, from all the mage schools.

Tired of playing with 2 hands tied behind my back.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 250
    no more dismounts are needed.
    no more dismounts are needed.
    Get rid of them, or do it properly.

Don't just penalise the mages.
    edited May 6
    Make EarthQuake useful - please make it dismount every player in range - clearly it logically would.
    I'd be happy if it also Dismounted myself and my own team equally.

It is also the longest casting mage spell, too dangerous for a mage to use in any pvp scenario and does basically no damage for the effort. Make it useful by adding Mass Dismount.

Awesome. :)

I'm full of great ideas today.
  • sibblesibble Posts: 129
    edited May 6
    Clearly you are out of touch with current meta PVP templates.

Mages do not need a dismount spell.

You want to dismount?  Maybe start carrying bolas.
    edited May 6
    sibble said:

I maybe out of touch with current Metas.

I had already mentioned the generic Bola approach where we lose our shield. Not great for a mage tbh. Could script it of course, have chosen not to so far. Would rather a mage played like a mage.

But I am not out of touch with having fun. :)

and pray tell me, which of my spells allows me to cast dismount then, as a pure mage, without losing my shield, and without scripting ? :)

We could also discuss, how the current Meta is completely broken, but I did not chose to whine about that, I proposed a fix, to make it more fun for mages.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,210
    The difference with a warrior/archer using their special to dismount (versus the suggested mage spell) is that they are prone to missing whereas the spell is going to hit every time.

When it comes to a bola, everyone clears their hands, not just a mage. The difference is that a mage can also invis themself before or after throwing a bola without needing the hiding skill.

If anything, the comparable thing would be to have a mage have a chance at dismounting someone with energy bolt (like 30% chance but must be on foot) given the name seems to imply it could knock someone off a mount.
    edited May 6
    keven2002 said:
    The difference with a warrior/archer using their special to dismount (versus the suggested mage spell) is that they are prone to missing whereas the spell is going to hit every time.

When it comes to a bola, everyone clears their hands, not just a mage. The difference is that a mage can also invis themself before or after throwing a bola without needing the hiding skill.

If anything, the comparable thing would be to have a mage have a chance at dismounting someone with energy bolt (like 30% chance but must be on foot) given the name seems to imply it could knock someone off a mount.
    so lets go with my Earthquake scenario :)

It is even more fair, in that it takes longer to cast, but it should be a 100% dismount rate - and completely levels the playing field for all.

The thing is with Dismounts, it only takes 1. You may have 5 fails, and 1 success, that success is critical. It swings/destroys an entire team fight.

The Meta should not be relying on Dismounts. And if people want to fight on foot so much, give mages the power to put everyone on foot. I am happy to go on foot. Do you think the dismounters are scared to?  I do. :)
    Cookie said:
    sibble said:

For this reason you don't have a good idea of how it will impact PVP.  How can you speak of fairness when you're currently unaware?
    edited May 6
    sibble said:
    Cookie said:
    sibble said:

For this reason you don't have a good idea of how it will impact PVP.  How can you speak of fairness when you're currently unaware?
    Your logic does not follow.

I may be out of touch with the latest Drug culture, but I have a clear understanding of how badly it will affect me.

I PvP non stop, I am very aware of the current metas, and all possibilities, I am very aware of what it will do, I believe the Meta is broken, and am trying to fix it. I chose not to follow the meta like all the sheep.

If players like Dismounting so much, which they clearly do - let me Dismount us all, and lets duke it out on foot - it would actually be way more fun. Unless you just want to dismount players without any consequence.
    edited May 6
    This is simple logic.

You said you're out of touch with PVP meta, then suggest PVP changes.  Being out of touch with the PVP meta means you have no idea how those changes will affect players.

Now you've changed your story to being "aware of current metas" - nice 180

Getting angry about it won't change anything.
    edited May 6
    sibble said:
    This is simple logic.

You said you're out of touch with PVP meta, then suggest PVP changes.  Being out of touch with the PVP meta means you have no idea how those changes will affect players.

Maybe I am not out of touch.

Maybe you should not jump in and make assumptions when you know nothing about me.

Starting a sentence like that, quite frankly, you are toxic.

I said MAYBE in my reply, just to stay polite. and appease you.

Not anymore. I am not angry, I am just replying in kind, in a way you will understand more - you know, the way you like to treat people. Liking it ?

Cookie said:
    sibble said:
    This is simple logic.

Maybe I am not out of touch.

Maybe you should not jump in and make assumptions when you know nothing about me.

I'm not making assumptions, I can clearly see you're suggesting something that would hurt the game more than help.  That lead me to believe that you are currently unaware, which you've admitted to.

So at this point, you're upset that I don't agree with your idea and you can go on and whine about it as many times as you want.  Your idea of a response is to post in another thread that I started to quote "hijack" it.

Sounds like something a toddler would do.

edited May 6
    sibble said:

I'm not making assumptions, I can clearly see you're suggesting something that would hurt the game more than help.  That lead me to believe that you are currently unaware, which you've admitted to.

So at this point, you're upset that I don't agree with your idea and you can go on and whine about it as many times as you want.  Your idea of a response is to post in another thread that I started to quote "hijack" it.

Sounds like something a toddler would do.

First, you need to learn English.

The word maybe, means maybe. It means, I may, or I may not be, I am not committing on that response.

Whereas you were quite black and white in your assumption about me. - Clearly.
    Which was wrong, but I was not going to get into an argument about it at the time.

You want to be toxic, you want to make assumptions, you want to insult people, yeah sure, I'll respond in the same way back to you, I love doing this, I am not proud, I am not going to try and maintain any moral high ground, I will get in the gutter and scrap with you toddler face. :)

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,012Moderator
    That's Enough!
    Mariah said:
    That's Enough!
    :D

You have to admit, this is the funniest thread of the day. :D
    Cookie said:
    keven2002 said:

It is even more fair, in that it takes longer to cast, but it should be a 100% dismount rate - and completely levels the playing field for all.

The thing is with Dismounts, it only takes 1. You may have 5 fails, and 1 success, that success is critical. It swings/destroys an entire team fight.

The Meta should not be relying on Dismounts. And if people want to fight on foot so much, give mages the power to put everyone on foot. I am happy to go on foot. Do you think the dismounters are scared to?  I do. :)
    I wouldn't want a single spell like EQ (which takes the same time as EB to cast btw) to dismount multiple targets; that would be way too overpowered as literally nothing else can dismount multiple targets all at once. 

I can see it now, one person in a gank squad stealths in to cast EQ and dismounts everyone on screen and then the rest of the baddie team runs in and kills all the mounts and everyone else on foot within seconds... sorry hard pass on that.
    edited May 6
    keven2002 said:
    Cookie said:
    keven2002 said:

I wouldn't want a single spell like EQ (which takes the same time as EB to cast btw) to dismount multiple targets; that would be way too overpowered as literally nothing else can dismount multiple targets all at once. 

I can see it now, one person in a gank squad stealths in to cast EQ and dismounts everyone on screen and then the rest of the baddie team runs in and kills all the mounts and everyone else on foot within seconds... sorry hard pass on that.

I don't think they are the same time to cast?

I think EQ is at least 0.5 seconds longer to cast, which is an eternity in pvp.

It is one of the longest casting spells. (I'd appreciate a fact check here, for my own knowledge).

In your scenario - any team of pvpers, would have disturbed the EQ cast before it was cast, and secondly, as the other team run in, they could equally foot them all.

Yes, it would add a new dimension to pvp, but when players are happy to dismount gank say 10v1, why not everyone be on foot and fight it out, or is that too much for them to actually be on foot? Or to have any sort of equal response?
    Cookie said:

Not going to be any fails if the mage is in Protection (page 2 of your spellbook)
    Cookie said:

It is one of the longest casting spells. (I'd appreciate a fact check here, for my own knowledge).

In your scenario - any team of pvpers, would have disturbed the EQ cast before it was cast, and secondly, as the other team run in, they could equally foot them all.

Yes, it would add a new dimension to pvp, but when players are happy to dismount gank say 10v1, why not everyone be on foot and fight it out, or is that too much for them to actually be on foot? Or to have any sort of equal response?
    I checked it before I posted (working from home today). It's the same timing from what I saw.

But in my scenario, the person is stealthing onto the screen... meaning it's a bit of a surprise where they are and they run protection so they don't get interrupted. Their cavalry is safe off screen (mounted). Suddenly everyone in your group is on foot.... as soon as the dismounter casts EQ he's calling in the cavalry and they are getting on screen just after the spell hits.

Again - a 100% chance of dismount to multiple targets is too OP whether it's 3v1 / 10v2 / 5v5 due to the fact that nothing else allows 100% dismount to a single target, let alone multiple, let alone to everyone on the screen. I think you are only looking at it from your style of PvP rather than more of a general thing.
    sibble said:
    Cookie said:

Not going to be any fails if the mage is in Protection (page 2 of your spellbook)

Reduces cast speed, physical resist, and magic resist, the guy would be dead before he finished casting the spell. :)
    edited May 6
    keven2002 said:
    Cookie said:

I checked it before I posted (working from home today). It's the same timing from what I saw.

But in my scenario, the person is stealthing onto the screen... meaning it's a bit of a surprise where they are and they run protection so they don't get interrupted. Their cavalry is safe off screen (mounted). Suddenly everyone in your group is on foot.... as soon as the dismounter casts EQ he's calling in the cavalry and they are getting on screen just after the spell hits.

Again - a 100% chance of dismount to multiple targets is too OP whether it's 3v1 / 10v2 / 5v5 due to the fact that nothing else allows 100% dismount to a single target, let alone multiple, let alone to everyone on the screen. I think you are only looking at it from your style of PvP rather than more of a general thing.
    Cast time - I have seen a couple of places it is posted incorrectly, maybe you picked up on one of them. I used a stopwatch, and EQ was about a second longer. 

I also checked this page, but was not sure if this was cast time, or recovery time after. I'd assume it to be cast time.
    ​​​Magery Spells – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Re your scenario, it is not really realistic in a Felucca setting.
    We always have fields up as protection around us, we have JOAT tracking, we have trackers, we have elves who reveal, we are very attuned to stealthers, and knowing they are around. It would also be very funny, and add to the whole pvp and tactical experience.

Yes you are right, it would change the dynamics, and I am saying, it would be a lot more fun, more exciting, and a lot more fair than the current scenario.

Once upon a time, there was no dismounting.
    Then Bola's came along, and there was Dismounting.
    They were prepared to make game-changing adjustments back then.
    I'm now saying, in the current meta, of scripted dismount trains, Mages do not have enough to combat this, and I would like a better mage based response.
    Cookie said:
    sibble said:
    Cookie said:

Reduces cast speed, physical resist, and magic resist, the guy would be dead before he finished casting the spell. :)

Not for bushido parry mages, which is what over 90% of the mages I run into have.

Sooo click evasion run up cast EQ in protection

:)

edited May 6
    sibble said:
    Cookie said:
    sibble said:
    Cookie said:

Not for bushido parry mages, which is what over 90% of the mages I run into have.

Sooo click evasion run up cast EQ in protection

:)

So in my EQ Dismount spell scenario, he would put himself on foot, with protection on, along with say my team.

a. we would be purging him, and he would be dead fast. (remembering the latest patch has reduced effectiveness of multiple Evasions when area spells or effects are used so we would use these against him also).
    b. if there was this team running in mounted behind him, we would have someone equally casting EQ to dismount them all, then everyone dukes it out on foot - and that would be absolutely awesome.
    This team coming in, would also have to come in through fields.
    edited May 6
    keven2002 said:
    I think you are only looking at it from your style of PvP rather than more of a general thing.

This is the actual issue to this entire thread.

Cookie said:

So in my EQ Dismount spell scenario, he would put himself on foot, with protection on, along with say my team.

a. we would be purging him, and he would be dead fast. (remembering the latest patch has reduced effectiveness of multiple confidences when area spells of effects are used so we would use these against him also).
    b. if there was this team running in mounted behind him, we would have someone equally casting EQ to dismount them all, then everyone dukes it out on foot - and that would be absolutely awesome.

This is all with the assumption that a group of PVPers is going to sit back and send in a dismounter by themself.  Maybe it won't happen that way.

Maybe the group of 5 run in and you don't know who the dismounter is going to be - you going to purge all 5 people before they get their cast off?  No.

If I'm with a group of PVPers and we're going into another group, our dismounter is going in with Gift of Renewal, Protection, Evasion, War Cry, consumables, etc.  So you have to get lucky and purge the right guy, and even if you did he's still going to be taking heals from my group.
    edited May 6
    sibble said:
    keven2002 said:
    I think you are only looking at it from your style of PvP rather than more of a general thing.

This is the actual issue to this entire thread.

Cookie said:

a. we would be purging him, and he would be dead fast. (remembering the latest patch has reduced effectiveness of multiple confidences when area spells of effects are used so we would use these against him also).

This is all with the assumption that a group of PVPers is going to sit back and send in a dismounter by themself.  Maybe it won't happen that way.

Maybe the group of 5 run in and you don't know who the dismounter is going to be - you going to purge all 5 people before they get their cast off?  No.

If I'm with a group of PVPers and we're going into another group, our dismounter is going in with Gift of Renewal, Protection, Evasion, War Cry, consumables, etc.  So you have to get lucky and purge the right guy, and even if you did he's still going to be taking heals from my group.
    Response to the first bit - do you accept, believe and support that the current scripted dismount damage train is the most fun pvp going? Do you think that is a majority opinion?
    Look, If I am wrong on that, and I'm quite happy for you to poll it, I will accept I am wrong - and my concept is not needed. Yes, I am talking about mages, it has to be admitted, but if all the mages quit, the pvp pool gets smaller and smaller.

I said - the EQ dismount spell, would take everyone out, in that area. Your entire team would go down, so would my entire team - again, absolutely awesome. :)

edited May 6
    Do I enjoy running around by myself on ATL so that when I run into my enemy who has several people the most common first action is for them to put me on foot so that they increase their chance of killing me?

Of course not.

I've always hated it, it's the single most used action against me when I played by myself on ATL for years.  It's extremely lame that I go out to participate in PVP and my enemy who is already out numbering me resorts to putting me on foot to ensure my demise.

I would not be opposed to removing dismounting all together.  Usually when it comes to PVP suggestions, the development team seems to side with majority rather than reason.  Also usually the voices that speak up are the majority that are running these meta templates and want to keep these type of features in the game.  The solo PVPer has less of a voice, sadly.  That's just my opinion though.

EDIT: I understand you're saying it would take out everyone.  What you and I are not seeing are the ways other people will think of how to abuse this.  Even with played out scenarios in our head we couldn't possibly conceive of how it would actually play out than to test it.  Another sad fact is that there are not enough PVPers on test center to viably test this to a point where I'd feel safe to publish.

1v2 should not be an easy fight - and if you're willing to fight two people at once, it usually sadly delves to them dismounting you.  If I'm at least willing to fight two of you at once I'd like to think my enemy would have enough respect for me that they would let me stay mounted - but that's just not the case.
    sibble said:
    Do I enjoy running around by myself on ATL so that when I run into my enemy who has several people the most common first action is for them to put me on foot so that they increase their chance of killing me?

Of course not.

I've always hated it, it's the single most used action against me when I played by myself on ATL for years.  It's extremely lame that I go out to participate in PVP and my enemy who is already out numbering me resorts to putting me on foot to ensure my demise.

I would not be opposed to removing dismounting all together.  Usually when it comes to PVP suggestions, the development team seems to side with majority rather than reason.  Also usually the voices that speak up are the majority that are running these meta templates and want to keep these type of features in the game.  The solo PVPer has less of a voice, sadly.  That's just my opinion though.
    So we have some agreement, I completely agree with your statement, I pvp solo hell of a lot btw, and face that scenario a lot.

One of my very first responses in this thread, was get rid of dismount, or do it properly.
    Get rid of dismount - see - I am not unopposed to that.

Or, do it properly. You have just described yourself, exactly how I see the current scenario, so why are you even disagreeing?
    Mages currently, have the least responses, or ability to dismount. 
    Give them, with their most powerful spell, the one that is never even used in pvp, the ability to take everyone down, it takes away so much of this lameness.
    I believe, players being forced on foot, would actually raise the excitement level, rather than the current being ganked to hell lameness. An EQ spell, has a much slower cast time than Bolas, and gives a lot of warning unlike most of the warrior methods out there right now, that give zero warning - you would certainly have time to get out of range if required.

Can you explain the scenario where you think an EQ-type spell that dismounts every one would be helpful to you?

If you're 1v2 and you go on foot to attempt to dismount them both (yikes), spell goes off and they're both dismounted.  Then you're going to have 1 player interrupting you while you try and mount while the 2nd is free to mount again.