Anti-Bot Mechanic

PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 534
edited May 4 in General Discussions
So, after seeing how you can't get any kills until Wave 65+ on Atlantic's Void Pool due to how fast bots insta kill the mobs, i had an idea. Make it to where the mobs will periodically go into a "damage reflect" mode (or sometimes spawn while in it), and change color during that phase. Watch the bots just insta kill themselves with reflected damage, while legit players will avoid damaging the mobs during that phase.
:D

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 927
    edited May 4
    It'd be funny for a bit, but it also wouldn't take long for scripts to be updated, so the bots would end up doing better than legit players again.

I say that, because in some instances, a 'pirate' npc isn't exactly easy to see when you've got several groups of players & pets on top of them, so the 'color' won't always be visible, and so the only way a player could react to it, would be to take a reflected hit, and stop attacking.

while a script would just recognize the 'color change' and stop before any reflected damage would be taken. unfortunately.

It's upsetting, "Cheats are detectable", but there's no followup enforcement used against those 'detected' cheats. not even a simple disconnect with a login timer/penalty (I could understand not Banning everyone for doing it, with UO in the state it's in but damn)   empty threats of repercussion only work for so long.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,961
    So, after seeing how you can't get any kills until Wave 65+ on Atlantic's Void Pool due to how fast bots insta kill the mobs, i had an idea. Make it to where the mobs will periodically go into a "damage reflect" mode (or sometimes spawn while in it), and change color during that phase. Watch the bots just insta kill themselves with reflected damage, while legit players will avoid damaging the mobs during that phase.
    Why shouldn't the scripters then adjust their scripts to avoid hitting the MOBs when they turn into "damage reflect" mode ?

Furthermore, a scripts is a faster reaction then that of a human being so, once all scripts of the BOTs will be adjusted to compensate the change, I imagine that the BOTs will be more responsive then regular players who will end up, once again (the regular players), with the short end of the stick with the BOTs adjusting to the change...
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 534
    edited May 4
    Instead of a color change (which would be detectable via hue), it could be a visible effect like the sparkle from Consume Damage channel. Scripts would have a much harder time detecting that change.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 371
    popps said:
    Why shouldn't the scripters then adjust their scripts to avoid hitting the MOBs when they turn into "damage reflect" mode ?

Furthermore, a scripts is a faster reaction then that of a human being so, once all scripts of the BOTs will be adjusted to compensate the change, I imagine that the BOTs will be more responsive then regular players who will end up, once again (the regular players), with the short end of the stick with the BOTs adjusting to the change...

Odd I feel like I've read this before some where. @CovenantX
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,160
    First world problems.  Aka Atlantic.

Third world shards don't have bots there.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,062
    Bots are indeed on all shards including origin and baja, cats and pac
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,870
    Grimbeard said:
    Bots are indeed on all shards including origin and baja, cats and pac

I've seen them on Balhae, and Great lakes as well. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited May 4
    The Gargs we have in the Void pool belong to Dollar, and he is such a bad bot that he has to tell players to stop using summons in chat because he uses CC to play.  Or he is an advanced bot that talks in chat to fool everyone.  I am sure he has been paged on a lot and could be a reason they said they will action players who page on fantasy things that do not exist.  So ya full of bots...
  • MumblesMumbles Posts: 4
    There are definitely bots on Sonoma.  The first character may be controlled by a player but the 4 other sampires following one tile away are not.  As for my definition of a bot?  They press play and the script does the rest. It’s part of the game I have accepted.  They help level up the spawn and Bear & Nina seem to be decent enough people.  I personally have enjoyed the fruits of their labor so I can appreciate the lack of enforcement by our dev team. 

Mumbles said:
    There are definitely bots on Sonoma.  The first character may be controlled by a player but the 4 other sampires following one tile away are not.  As for my definition of a bot?  They press play and the script does the rest. It’s part of the game I have accepted.  They help level up the spawn and Bear & Nina seem to be decent enough people.  I personally have enjoyed the fruits of their labor so I can appreciate the lack of enforcement by our dev team. 

If they are at the entry spawn point.  Others can cover the other two and as you say also reap the rewards.  Such a fun event where you can get drops doing different things. We need more items to buy!!!  
    Mumbles said:
    I personally have enjoyed the fruits of their labor so I can appreciate the lack of enforcement by our dev team. 

I'm sure the people running the bots appreciate the lack of enforcement as well.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 272
    CovenantX said:

......the lack of enforcement as well.
    Every time I think abt coming back to play, I see the exact reason why I quit playing UO in the 1st place :(

A game where you have to cheat (go against ToS) to play isn’t worth playing imho.

Either update to ToS or take action. I <3 UO but Seriously.... WTF is going on here ?!?
    edited May 7
    Acid_Rain said:
    CovenantX said:

......the lack of enforcement as well.
    Every time I think abt coming back to play, I see the exact reason why I quit playing UO in the 1st place :(

A game where you have to cheat (go against ToS) to play isn’t worth playing imho.

Either update to ToS or take action. I <3 UO but Seriously.... WTF is going on here ?!?

yea the same thoughts cross my mind more and more frequently as of late also.
     UO has much potential, but cheating defeats the purpose of bothering for the most part.

It's so disappointing to know that even free shards disable certain features of third-party clients (which are often required, to even login to those shards), and they do a much better job at enforcing their rules than the official game that we the customers pay for...

I miss when I didn't feel like everytime I post it's always about how bad the cheating has gotten and that's all there is anymore.    the game just cannot get better without that being dealt with.
    ICQ# 478 633 659