Wherein I complain pointlessly about the Doom Gauntlet drop table

I got part of the worthless Death's Essence set as a drop from the Dark Father the other night, and I'm not going to lie, I'm irrationally annoyed by it. This is one of those Mondain's Legacy armor sets that literally no one has ever worn, with stats worse than junk you might pull from killing ettins.

My question is, what on earth is it doing on the Dark Father? Doom loot was revamped in Publish 96, but there's no reference to these trash items in the notes for that publish. No one in 2017 could have mistaken them for anything anyone would ever want. No one wanted them when they were new.

But speaking of loot no one wants, I look at the publish notes and I see among the potential drops: "A randomly generated “Prized” magic item that is at least a Lesser Artifact, with no additional negative properties." Oh boy a randomly generated piece of garbage to leave on the floor.

I guess posting here because you hope anyone affiliated with the game will notice or care is a forlorn hope at this point, but really. I thought part of the purpose of the Doom update was to reduce the amount of stupid joke drops people get. They may as well have just left all the Bone Crushers and junk like that in the main drop table if they were just going to flood it with a different selection of garbage anyway.

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    turn-in points ?
    about all most of its good for imho...
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Skett said:
    turn-in points ?
    about all most of its good for imho...
    The problem is most stuff you can buy with clean up points equally worthless... so many things needing updating would have been far better served than time wasted on NL..
  • They've never really been able to handle the Gauntlet properly except for the first few years of Age of Shadows. The real rewards now is the ability to turn the lesser wanted items into the more wanted items, using various means. But they ended up making it a pretty rough slog with a high annoyance factor. The result being that no one wants to do it.

I know it's a hard balance to strike but I believe I remember people being annoyed by this even at the time. There are a lot of high level characters in this game, but they have issues correctly balancing high level content for those characters to do.

Couple this with the fact that sometimes groups are hard to find and you have a very odd situation.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    I believe your 'drop chance' resets if you get these items from doom bosses too.  -it would be easy to verify that if we could actually see the doom points we accumulate towards a drop, but we can't.... so we have to rely on a response from a Dev and hope that they're fully accurate with their answer.... IF they answer.

I also find it disappointing in Doom when you get a legacy drop that is not the AoF or one that's used for upgrading to the 'revamped' ones.   It'd be nice if they revisited Doom and revamped the rest of the drops that weren't done the first time.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a bug that those ML Set items drop from those bosses,  I've gotten them from other content bosses too,   Originally I'm pretty sure they only came from named mobs like Swoop and such, with the more rare parts of each set dropping from the ML Peerless' Bosses.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    I agree with @Lord_Nythrax (and the rest). A few years ago I grinded Doom for some of the newer drops (Bow of infinity / halo / etc) and ended up getting something like that pop into my pack. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was a "Lesser Artifact" too, not even an ML drop.

Covenant is correct in that it actually counts as your "drop" and your reward points pool reset after receiving it. After this happened to me I looked it up and it's actually documented in the loot table in the Wiki that these "other" drops are listed as rewards. It's listed as a "Random Prized Artifact" and it has an equal chance (as opposed to condensed) chance to drop. I think I even created a thread asking Kyronix if a Lesser Artifact (as opposed to Legendary) was correct and he confirmed that it was indeed.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/artifact-collections/artifacts-doom-gauntlet/ --> It's the 4th item down in the table.

This is one of many areas that should be revisited. I'd say 75% of the Doom main drops aren't as good as Legendary loot (ie the condensed items like Axe of Heavens) and then we get a Lesser Artifact or ML item on top that also is worse than items we can loot from the bosses. I asked for this several years ago but I don't think they have much interest in touching the loot table because it would increase "power creep". 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    I haven't done Doom in a while, but I do know that the "Prized" item used to drop with even lower quality than 'lesser artifact',  I've gotten at least 3 of them after the doom revamp, that was the main reason I stopped going to doom..

I'm not sure if that was ever fixed.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    Grimbeard said:
    The problem is most stuff you can buy with clean up points equally worthless... so many things needing updating would have been far better served than time wasted on NL..
    Another thing they promised to keep updating periodically. That was 2011. My vague recollection is they removed Bless Deeds, added a few dyes and called it a day. 

12 years ago, btw.

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Even if NL comes and is wildly successful it will not be worth the years of neglect shown production shards 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    CovenantX said:
    I haven't done Doom in a while, but I do know that the "Prized" item used to drop with even lower quality than 'lesser artifact',  I've gotten at least 3 of them after the doom revamp, that was the main reason I stopped going to doom..

I'm not sure if that was ever fixed.
    This is something I asked Kyronix - his response was that it was designed that way. IE it wouldn't have been on the list to fix. Unfortunately it's another example of the Dev team being out of touch with some of the rewards they implement. 
  • There needs to be a general game-wide purge of these garbage items that only exist because someone developing the game didn't fully understand how people play it. Like look at the Death's Essence set. Total stats are 40/70/30/50/60, MR 5, HPR 5, LMC 10, Necro +10. For the entire suit. Worthless the day it was published.

Or the Epiphany Armor. They created a couple of unique sets, added a brand new custom item property, but apparently didn't realize that players don't want armor with literal NPC trash resists. Now the pieces sit on vendors for 30k or something and never sell.

I'm not asking for the world here. If I had popped a Blade of Insanity or some old relic like that, I'd have probably just shrugged and given it away to some newbie. Whatever, let them go terrorize ettins with it. The items I'm talking about were literally never good and would be embarrassing to give to even a newb.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    Yes the developers should delete items so a certain poster can add that to his list of complaints about developers deleting things.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Yes the developers should delete items so a certain poster can add that to his list of complaints about developers deleting things.
    Yes because deleting outdated worthless items the same as memorials or houses...
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Yes because deleting outdated worthless items the same as memorials or houses...
    I agree.  
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Pawain said:
    Well, I would agree on useless items to get deleted... for example, Nexus Core Alchemy small BODs (and other small BODs, for this matter), didn't I ask in a recent for them to either be made yielding a lot more points or to be deleted since players, to my understanding, pretty much most always players discard them because they are not worth the effort ?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Well, I would agree on useless items to get deleted... for example, Nexus Core Alchemy small BODs (and other small BODs, for this matter), didn't I ask in a recent for them to either be made yielding a lot more points or to be deleted since players, to my understanding, pretty much most always players discard them because they are not worth the effort ?
    Every BOD group has its IMHO worthless BODs but there are others that may do them.  There is ZERO reason for the DEVs to delete them when all you have to do is throw them away.
  • Pawain said:
    Do you think keeping unusable garbage items in the drop table serves some purpose, or do you just have an unrelated gripe you can't keep in your pants? I didn't follow the player memorial thing and don't care about it, so you're going to have to spell things out for me.
    Pawain said:
    Do you think keeping unusable garbage items in the drop table serves some purpose, or do you just have an unrelated gripe you can't keep in your pants? I didn't follow the player memorial thing and don't care about it, so you're going to have to spell things out for me.
    Any time something is removed, someone will complain. 
    If they intended for us to get halos every time, they would modify the formula.

They modified the Artisan festival so you get more newer items than older ones.  So if they want to modify the Doom formula to satisfy your wants, they would. But apparently they like it as is.

Plenty of the high end Doom items on Atlantic vendors.  Lots of people want the rare ML armor pieces.

Sure the only reason to have ML armor now is to put on a mannequin.  I would like for them to  upgrade those. But they choose not to.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 101
    "Any time something is removed, someone will complain." Then go put these items on Drelgor the Impaler where they belong, not the Dark Father. "If they intended for us to get halos every time, they would modify the formula." They can make the drop rate for good things whatever they want, but it'd be nice if they didn't throw in a bunch of loser prizes just to disappoint people. Especially since that's kind of the opposite of the purpose of the overhaul.
  • DragorDragor Posts: 8
    I have to agree that loot in general needs to be looked at across the board. Basically, the way the game is now, there is no need whatsoever to go to 90% of the land and over 90% of all monsters are worthless. What can be really frustrating is when you spend a long time trying to kill some relatively high-end monster and it has garbage for loot. So, you spend 20 minutes killing something for 2k gold, where you could kill something easier and make 10 times that in the same amount of time.

To me, there should be some random dice roll for loot. Meaning if a monster has above a certain amount of hit points, it will have the chance to drop something decent. And I don't mean every 250th time you kill it. Years ago, like when Terathans were introduced, decent loot drops were more common. I recall getting many Power and even Vanquishing weapons off of them. Sadly, they nerf the loot on them making that another area that no one bothers to go to anymore.

I do not envy the position the Devs are in, because it is impossible to keep everyone happy. I am sure it is difficult to balance loot drops vs crafting. If you make loot too good, it affects crafters. If you make crafting too much of a time sink that also require ridiculously difficult items to get, people don't bother.

On a side note, I think it would be cool for crafting skills to be able to remove the "Cursed" property from items. Maybe make that require crazy difficult items to get in order to be able to do so.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 174
    edited March 28
    All of the armor sets should have their stats updated. Assassin armor etc.  the full suits were created before imbuing.  Make it something someone might actually use.  So much content in this game is dead due to bad rewards.  Update rewards - more content without any additional coding.  Like zero effort besides updating the loot details.  I haven’t been to doom in maybe 10-15 years.   That used to be the ‘roof’ at one point.  

Drop epaulettes and some Hawkwind robes in doom and it comes alive again.