What client do you play? CC or EC?

2»

Comments

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Art is a matter of perspective lol. In your example, the CC EV looks like a purple blob drawn with a crayon, but the EC one is shiny and ethereal like.. well, like energy.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    The CC version of the EV looks like a pink-ish Michelin man with his legs stuck together.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    The EC gives me a headache within 10 seconds.  

The Hiryu looks like a plucked bird. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I sure wish i had my Void Mare in EC

• I play CC
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    jaytin said:
    The CC version of the EV looks like a pink-ish Michelin man with his legs stuck together.
    But it's an actual vortex.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    InLor said:
    jaytin said:

No, it's a purple Air Elemental.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    InLor said:
    jaytin said:

No, it's a purple Air Elemental. 
    :D
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    InLor said:
    I would put all efforts into upgrading CC to have all the features of EC, and then kill EC. I've given EC a chance a million times. It's simply an abomination. I don't like 80% of the graphics. While the 2d art is actually in style (retro) and aged pretty well, the 3D just looks dated.

It's not just aesthetics either. Many things don't look right in EC in a functional sense. Pet colors, armors, hues. Next, the gameplay doesn't feel or look right. The characters are too big for the mounts. They look dorky. The walking/running feels completely out of sync. The legs don't actually land on the ground, they glide. The gait is all wrong. It goes on and on.While the CC has the stop-motion framerate (this can be upgraded), it just feels snappier, tighter and smoother to play in.

Back to the graphics. Here's a simple example, the energy vortex:
    CC

EC

CC: A cool, actual vortex-like looking graphic
    EC: Hazy blue bloud with sparkles. 

Yeah, no. There is no end to examples like this, where the EC version is just shabby, whack, unfitting... you name it.

I would revamp the classic client, call it Classic Client Enhanced. Allow for macros/settings to be copied over from EC and add all top EC features (grid containers, zoom, screen resize, etc.).. then dump EC already. I would replace some of the CC art where it clearly seems fitting and aesthetically an upgrade (certain tiles, creatures), etc.
    Ha ha well each to their own, the example you provided shows a spinning lumpy purple dog poo that actually doesnt have anywhere near the 'energy' of the blue cloud, which actually shows an inner spark that you would get with energy!  The only reason you prefer the lumpy dog poo one is that that is what you are used to :P.  

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    For the record, a vortex is a mass of whirling fluid or air. It does not have to be a funnel shape to qualify.

Most item art is the same for both client, so the main difference - art wise - is landscape and creatures. Reptalon, hiryu, and ostards are better in CC imo, but pretty much everything else looks much better to me in EC. I mean no disrespect to the original artists. You must remember the tools they had to work with to build Sosaria 20 years ago were rather rudimentary, and I think they did fantastic work with those tools. But the art tools now are a bit fancier :)
    MissE said:
    InLor said:
    I would put all efforts into upgrading CC to have all the features of EC, and then kill EC. I've given EC a chance a million times. It's simply an abomination. I don't like 80% of the graphics. While the 2d art is actually in style (retro) and aged pretty well, the 3D just looks dated.

It's not just aesthetics either. Many things don't look right in EC in a functional sense. Pet colors, armors, hues. Next, the gameplay doesn't feel or look right. The characters are too big for the mounts. They look dorky. The walking/running feels completely out of sync. The legs don't actually land on the ground, they glide. The gait is all wrong. It goes on and on.While the CC has the stop-motion framerate (this can be upgraded), it just feels snappier, tighter and smoother to play in.

Back to the graphics. Here's a simple example, the energy vortex:
    CC

EC

CC: A cool, actual vortex-like looking graphic
    EC: Hazy blue bloud with sparkles. 

Yeah, no. There is no end to examples like this, where the EC version is just shabby, whack, unfitting... you name it.

I would revamp the classic client, call it Classic Client Enhanced. Allow for macros/settings to be copied over from EC and add all top EC features (grid containers, zoom, screen resize, etc.).. then dump EC already. I would replace some of the CC art where it clearly seems fitting and aesthetically an upgrade (certain tiles, creatures), etc.
    Ha ha well each to their own, the example you provided shows a spinning lumpy purple dog poo that actually doesnt have anywhere near the 'energy' of the blue cloud, which actually shows an inner spark that you would get with energy!  The only reason you prefer the lumpy dog poo one is that that is what you are used to :P.  
    The Energy Vortex in motion on CC looks better to me and it's because a vortex is a whirling mass of fluid or air, which in the CC is actually the case. On EC it's blue haze with sparkles, and it's incredibly poorly done. I obviously would like it to be updated for higher fidelity.
  • ZyloZylo Posts: 15
    This post hit the nail right on the head.... I love all the FEATURES of the enhanced client.... BUT the graphics for the players/mounts are AWFUL... The paperdolls are AWFUL... Classic Client has better graphics for the players themselves which is what you are looking at 99.99% of the time....

I do ENJOY the look of the WORLD in the enhanced client... but man.. the graphics for a lot of the avatars/weapons/mounts are terrible.... like they are really REALLY BAD...

PLEASE, can you CHANGE THE GRAPHICS of the enhanced clients AVATARS IN GAME & IN PAPERDOLL to LEGACY. Including the weapons/mounts/etc...

Everyone keeps saying the same damn thing. HOW COME DEVS NEVER FLIPPING LISTEN TO WHAT PLAYERS ARE SCREAMING FOR.  AND HOW DO THEY NOT SEE HOW UGLY AS HELL THE ART/GRAPHICS ARE IN THE ENHANCED CLIENT FOR MOUNTS/AVATARS/ETC.
  • ZyloZylo Posts: 15
    AMEN  How can you honestly play something you can not stand to look at.
    This. 

The player characters are ugly as hell in E.C..... World looks great, features are amazing but the players/weapons/mounts are UGLY... What do you look at 99.99% of the time, UGLY TOON in E.C.....
  • TeapotTeapot Posts: 58
    I remember the third dawn client fire steed, man that was one of my favorite models ever.  With a flame animation and even fire crackling.  That was a long time ago.  I remember how much that client crashed too.  I will say EC stablity has been refreshing since I came back last year.  Ive never been overly attached to the graphics, I much prefer the larger area view in EC.
  • BelmardukBelmarduk Posts: 4
    Zylo said:
    This post hit the nail right on the head.... I love all the FEATURES of the enhanced client.... BUT the graphics for the players/mounts are AWFUL... The paperdolls are AWFUL... Classic Client has better graphics for the players themselves which is what you are looking at 99.99% of the time....

I do ENJOY the look of the WORLD in the enhanced client... but man.. the graphics for a lot of the avatars/weapons/mounts are terrible.... like they are really REALLY BAD...

PLEASE, can you CHANGE THE GRAPHICS of the enhanced clients AVATARS IN GAME & IN PAPERDOLL to LEGACY. Including the weapons/mounts/etc...

Everyone keeps saying the same damn thing. HOW COME DEVS NEVER FLIPPING LISTEN TO WHAT PLAYERS ARE SCREAMING FOR.  AND HOW DO THEY NOT SEE HOW UGLY AS HELL THE ART/GRAPHICS ARE IN THE ENHANCED CLIENT FOR MOUNTS/AVATARS/ETC.

CC graphics are:

1. Ugly as hell

2. Outdated

3. Jerky movements like in a Windows 3.11 Game

4. CC is TERRIBLE

EC is marginally better but atleast no jerky movement and some artworks are ...ok...

WHY was KR scrapped and not further developed ????

KR was not sooo bad if they had made the artwork a little more HD - The bugs and playability was a different story, but that... could have been improved

As sad as it is  - if UO one day goes down the drain - a BIG fault will be on the books of the people who never wanted to switch from CC and their Win98 computers...

I find the CC very jerky too, I asked a relative to try UO and she said that the jerking in the CC gave her a headache so she wouldn't come back. Maybe I should have asked her to try the EC but I was still using the CC at that point. The Devs have already stated that most of the features of the EC cannot be added to the CC, it's just too old, as for adding the CC graphics to the EC, well I couldn't really care less about that one way or the other, (except the paperdoll, I don't like the CC one!) but if they could do that surely they would have done it already?
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    When I restarted playing, I began with the EC and have not looked back.  It strikes me as simultaneously sad and humorous that the devs are forced to maintain two clients, one very outdated and one somewhat outdated.  What a waste of resources, but I understand that it is long-time vets with multiple accounts who keep this game alive.

... But, if one more vet tells me, "The enhanced client gives me a headache", I think I'll explode.  I'm pretty sure they do not realized that the 3d client has been gone for years, and the EC is just as 2d as the CC is.   I have no problem with folks having years of experience with something and not wanting it to change.  "I'm used to the CC" is a perfectly valid reason to keep using it.  But at least know what the alternative is!
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
    @Rock I totally agree, it's the very reason that I refused to use the EC for years, I thought they were trying to sneak KR on me! Some of KR was fine but somehow it was all a bit washed-out looking. When I finally tried the EC I got quite a shock, it didn't look that different so long as I wasn't zoomed too much. I stuck with it for a couple of weeks and never looked back.
  • InLor said:
     B) 
    I play both. I use UOA with clasic when training and EC when hunting because of the loot all feature in each corpse and the scavenger agent for picking up dropped gold.
    Don't let heartburn and indigestion keep you from relishing life's special moments. Use Alka-Seltzer for speedy relief when you need it.
  • For me:
    EC by far, i really can't stand the ultra old GUI and graphics of CC anymore.

• CC is just how the game was intended to look/play.

They made a 3D mock up of Ultima Online 2 that in my opinion looked terrible, like a less cool Ever Quest, and I'm not an EQ fanatic. And it didn't even make it into the marketplace. It didn't need to, Ultima just works with pixelated ghettometric graphics. I just down loaded EC and tried it again, and couldn't roll around the block from my house before I just logged out and back into CC. It's just that bad for me. If you zoom in it's terrible, if you zoom out it's terrible, if you try looking around your house, it's terrible. Just no way I would ever play this game if EC was the only option available. I'm so glad CC is still kicking. Maybe if they gave us an option to forego some of the so called benefits of EC like zoom or whatever else is keeping them from importing CC artwork in I could stand it, but as it is EC is a complete disaster for me. Totally unbearable, yuck, like trying to go to someone's house that has piles of poop on everything, and trying to act like you're just ok with it, and maybe almost walking over to sit on a couch covered in poop, but then just stepping back and hanging out by the door. And leaving. And never going back. Yuck.