Add a like button to posts

Captn_NorringtonCaptn_Norrington Posts: 14
edited February 2018 in Forum Feedback
It makes it easier to support something without having to quote it and type "I agree!" which just leads to tons of "I agree!" posts cluttering up a thread.
  1. Should there be a like button?35 votes
    1. Yes
      65.71%
    2. No
      34.29%
ICQ - 678566021

Comments

• Please do not add a like or thanks button to posts. It is the most wretched thing ever to be added to forums. If someone wants to contribute they should at least have to type half a dozen letters and press a button.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I agree with Norry....sometimes I just wanna say YES THIS! Or..YES I like it! with a like button I can just LIKE it without cluttering the forums with unecessary quotes that say YES THIS! lol so please add a like button :)

• Please do not add a like or thanks button to posts. It is the most wretched thing ever to be added to forums. If someone wants to contribute they should at least have to type half a dozen letters and press a button.
    That sounds like a nice idea in theory, until you have to scroll past 75 "I agree!" posts to get to one that actually adds real content to a discussion.
    ICQ - 678566021
  • There's a Vanilla Forums plugin for this, I'd say it'll make it in eventually.
    UWF Emissary
    Developer of Ultima Mapper
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    i have to say happier without a "like" button.  Facebook hate aside, the ability to "like" usually leads to a degradation of discussion quality.  why post your own thoughts when you can just "like" and agree with someone else?
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 458
    edited February 2018
    No, neither a like button or a comment just saying you agree are necessary.  I'd like something different from Stratics.

• I would like your post Captn... but... you know.....
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • A dislike button would be awesome too ;)
  • FatFat Posts: 97
    I would prefer a dislike button. 
  • It does save a lot of work. Like if someone quotes you and basically agrees with you or whatever you can just like it without having to respond kinda thing. Saves a lot of posting.
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    *like*

• I vote yes for a like button.
  • Captn_Norrington said:

That sounds like a nice idea in theory, until you have to scroll past 75 "I agree!" posts to get to one that actually adds real content to a discussion.
    That doesn’t happen on forums without a like/thanks system.
  • GigglesGiggles Posts: 62
    It makes it easier to support something without having to quote it and type "I agree!" which just leads to tons of "I agree!" posts cluttering up a thread.
    I like this post.

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    I would prefer there to not be a 'like' button, but not terribly important to me. But please, PLEASE, do not add a 'dislike' button. Silence is a virtue, or people can politely explain why they have a different opinion.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I want the No button added too <span>:wink:</span>
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • EM KincaidEM Kincaid Posts: 187Event Moderator
    *hands out buttons*

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    *hands out buttons*

I like this! <3

Can we has that like button?? :)

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 458
    LOL
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2018
    give us like, dislike, and jolly, candy-like buttons
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    jolly, candy-like buttons
    What he said..
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • OlchOlch Posts: 36
    I'm going to go with a hard 'No' to the like button. Solely based on the fact there was once this other forum where moderators/admins had a hidden thread where they would all like other's posts to purposely inflate their like count. 
  • PatriciaPatricia Posts: 9
    Liking does nothing for a forum...the person with the most likes has a higher reputation but as far as I know and have read it doesn't give a forum higher status or anything..it's just a nice way of saying ~Hey I like what you said but really don't have anything else to add~ so as far as your implication that some other forum bumps their like count makes no sense as it does nothing to help the forum...look it up....

I think a like or agree button would help cut down on unnecessary quoting just to say HEY I LIKE THIS....

But I honestly don't think they are going to add one...so spam away :)
  • Olch said:
    I'm going to go with a hard 'No' to the like button. Solely based on the fact there was once this other forum where moderators/admins had a hidden thread where they would all like other's posts to purposely inflate their like count. 
    And?.....
  • Captn_NorringtonCaptn_Norrington Posts: 14
    edited March 2018
    Olch said:
    I'm with Longtooths and Patricia on this... why would that even matter when likes don't add privileges to an account? Especially for staff members, considering an admin can just set their amount of likes to whatever they want through the admin control panel. It's just a typing box they can set to any number they want, there is no need to have a secret thread.
    ICQ - 678566021
  • Vanilla Forums are way too easy to modify.  It’s as easy as clicking a like button.

I like the ability to react because I think it’s silly to post comments of reactions.

I just want to like something and move on.  

I don’t see a negative side to a like button.
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • *Likes this thread.*.  :s
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • TjalleTjalle Posts: 77
    I see no point in having them so No.