Changing Character Graphics in Enhanced Client.

ZyloZylo Posts: 15
edited June 2018 in General Discussions
I've played Ultima Online since Feb. '99 off and on over the years like the rest of you/us..... I still play now, have a Large Tower on Atlantic just outside Wrong Dungeon (Wrong Tower) feel free to visit me anytime.

Now directly to the point.

I LOVE the features of the enhanced client, I love zooming out, the containers, all the macros/hotbars, etc, it's fantastic, the Radar Map is perfect. Thank you.... It's BETTER than the classic client in many ways. The world even looks better, the water is beautiful, the mountains....

The problem, THE PLAYERS ARE SOOOOOOO UGLY OMFG. NO ONE LIKES THEM.

Can you PLEASE simply change the art/graphics for the players in the enhanced client to use LEGACY GRAPHICS for the characters just like the paperdoll?

Honestly, they are SO UGLY in the enhanced client I can't even play it..... I use a WORSE FEATURED Classic Client because I HATE the way my character looks in the enhanced client...

Everyone I talk to feels this way.... I don't know, anyone else care to comment?

Any of the Devs from Broadsword? Please,  please let me know what's up?? The graphics are soooooo UGLY for the characters/mounts... The horse looks like a fat cow..... it's laughable.
  1. Do you prefer the Avatar/Mount Graphics in Classic Client or Enhanced?15 votes
    1. Classic
      40.00%
    2. Enhanced
      60.00%

Comments

• Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    having recently switched to using both clients depending on what I do there's another thing I hate about the enhanced client graphics.
    Monsters and the ground they walk on seem blurred and are sometimes hard to distinguish, especially in dungeons. In CC the outlines are much more clean and thus make it easier to see.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I know at least 4 other people who use the EC, I also use it myself, while we all agree that some monsters look better in one client or the other, none of us HATE the EC graphics. Some of us also prefer the EC paperdoll, just because you don't like something doesn't mean that 'NO ONE LIKES THEM' that was a quote by the way. If we had to go back to the CC we would stop playing.
    My advice, if you hate it so much then don't use it, nobody is forcing you. 
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    Not everything is uglier in the EC, but as a whole there are so many aesthetic missfires, that I just can't bare it. And it's not only purely looks, but also function. There are hues and colors that are supposed to look more dashing originally (in the CC), but look dim in the EC client. The avatars are also goofy and funky looking, and in the case of many mounts they are too big. 

There is a reason why a 3D platformer like Croc from 1997 has aged 100x more poorly than a game like Donkey Kong Country from 1994. And why many today's 2d indie game are beautiful and timeless (even if the retro pixelated look is overused) - it just ages better. 

It befits Ultima much better to upgrade the classic client rather than to chase the 3D one that just shows it ages much more. And with all its functions, the whole interface is just ugly and doesn't feel like Ultima either. All these canned successors, spin-offs and engines just show how deeply and endlessly misunderstood this IP has been under EA. 
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    I was thinking of making this post yesterday.

The enhanced client is currently the best player experience, no doubt about it.  It is well done.

But it is UGLY as sin.  And the main culprit is character models.

Can we PLEASE have an updated and higher resolution character model for EC?  Please?  

Tell ya what, create it and put it in the store.

"High-Resolution Character Token"  Charge me 20 bucks.  PLEASE.
  • ZyloZylo Posts: 15
    edited June 2018
    jaytin said:
    My advice, if you hate it so much then don't use it, nobody is forcing you. 
    They are forcing us…. They refuse to add enhance client functionality with legacy graphics.

Why do you care that people who like Classic Graphics want Enhanced functionality? Honestly, why are you ***** on me for wanting to enjoy modern functionality of the game with GOOD CLASSIC GRAPHICS? Who **** in your cheerios?
    InLor said:
    Not everything is uglier in the EC, but as a whole there are so many aesthetic missfires, that I just can't bare it. And it's not only purely looks, but also function. There are hues and colors that are supposed to look more dashing originally (in the CC), but look dim in the EC client. The avatars are also goofy and funky looking, and in the case of many mounts they are too big. 

There is a reason why a 3D platformer like Croc from 1997 has aged 100x more poorly than a game like Donkey Kong Country from 1994. And why many today's 2d indie game are beautiful and timeless (even if the retro pixelated look is overused) - it just ages better. 

It befits Ultima much better to upgrade the classic client rather than to chase the 3D one that just shows it ages much more. And with all its functions, the whole interface is just ugly and doesn't feel like Ultima either. All these canned successors, spin-offs and engines just show how deeply and endlessly misunderstood this IP has been under EA. 

I totally agree with you!
    Wow, over-reacting much? You made a blanket statement that EVERYONE hates the EC, this is not true. You have a really unpleasant and aggressive way of talking which makes me think that this is just another EC hate troll thread. I don't eat cheerios. *yawn*
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    It's not at all about resolution only. Animations and style are meh. It's not that the CC is so beautiful in every way, it's just that amazingly some of that work from the 90s no less, holds up and works together as a whole way better. 
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited June 2018
    Most fights threads about CC vs EC quickly turn into a Rock vs County music type fight.
    Please for the sanity of everybody reading keep it to functionally or at least graphics the affect game play.
    Some people like EC graphics others like CC. Neither is right or wrong. 

Personally I would prefer new content and bug fixes over making it pretty. After all they are only going to make 50% happy no mater what they do.

PS Zylo in my opinion you poll would carry more weight if you had included my choice "Both are good enough".
    @Tim very nicely put sir! +1  :)
    Tim said:
    PS Zylo in my opinion you poll would carry more weight if you had included my choice "Both are good enough".
    You're probably right, I just made a quick poll as I just came back to UO and this was my immediate experience/reaction with the new EC...

Is there anyone from Broadsword that can explain to me why we can't have Legacy Graphics in the Enhanced Client?

You would get a lot more subscribers back if you made this happen.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Zylo said:
    Tim said:
    You're probably right, I just made a quick poll as I just came back to UO and this was my immediate experience/reaction with the new EC...

Is there anyone from Broadsword that can explain to me why we can't have Legacy Graphics in the Enhanced Client?

You would get a lot more subscribers back if you made this happen.
    I think you would find a lot of CC users would switch to the EC if we had true CC Graphics and no I do not need the zoom to play UO.