This is getting ridiculous

So i named two of my characters the same name and it screwed the macros for each Character when i would log in on each one reverts the macros to the other character, so @yoshi said get a name change, Like don't let the devs fix the issue they created!

So after a while and at great cost I have done that and its still screwed. No wonder this game is dead.

Comments

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    I told you how to fix it's a simple copy rename and paste the developers do a lot of stupid stuff but it's ridiculous you want to die on this hill
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    Which hill should i die on? The dupers hill? The bug Hill? The RMT hill? The scammer hill? The lag hill? The no communication from anyone hill?
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Saul pm me I’ll take a look”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Which hill should i die on? The dupers hill? The bug Hill? The RMT hill? The scammer hill? The lag hill? The no communication from anyone hill?
    All those much better Hills 
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 171
    So i named two of my characters the same name and it screwed the macros for each Character when i would log in on each one reverts the macros to the other character, so @ yoshi said get a name change, Like don't let the devs fix the issue they created!

So after a while and at great cost I have done that and its still screwed. No wonder this game is dead.
    The game is dead, but yet here you are.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Whitewolf said:
    So i named two of my characters the same name and it screwed the macros for each Character when i would log in on each one reverts the macros to the other character, so @ yoshi said get a name change, Like don't let the devs fix the issue they created!

The game is dead, but yet here you are.
    He just likes to spread hate and why he even plays UO nobody knows.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    @Yoshi how do you fix the problem with accounts that when I login the char is saying "all kill" or "all follow me" or I wish to release this... or other commands I have set in macros ? 
    "by changing your password to things that aren't on those keys lol"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    hmm lol ok !
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    In Saul’s original post on this he said the GM recommended he buy a name change.  He bought the name change.  He did what UO told him to do.  On reading this post the GM should be out there now helping him resolve the issues he is having with his macros.  That’s the way business works.  Or, at least is suppose to.

If a buying a name change messes up a player’s macros, UO should be up front about that.  The game should make it right.
    it's a simple matter of renaming the old user data file to your new name 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Do one of two things.

1. Make new macros using the new character names.
    2. Copy the files from the old name to the new name folder.

Then exit and rejoin any guild they were in.

Takes just a few minutes.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Hasn't this been the case for years? Or am I misunderstanding something?
    edited May 2023
    " here we go again,

if they leave something broken for a long time it's okay....

I murdered that woman years ago, what you arresting me for now 10 years later?

Okay, you know all those annoying ghost images on EC that remain and your char tries to attack them and you die cos its not real creature.... Hasn't this been the case for years? or am i misunderstanding something?
    "
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi said:
    " here we go again,

Okay, you know all those annoying ghost images on EC that remain and your char tries to attack them and you die cos its not real creature.... Hasn't this been the case for years? or am i misunderstanding something?
    "
    The idea to make non unique character names was brilliant. 26 years later!

Would you rather have characters with names like Jay10259, Bill10356, John XOXOX139
    The fad of UpPeRaNdLoWeR case was bad enough.

I doubt they can use ID #s, because those change when you transfer shards.  That is why I can not transfer one of my main toons because he owns 9 coops of Battle Chicken Lizards.

GM River told me a long time ago that he is probably the last GM that can make them mine again because the game rewrites that number when you transfer. You can see this on TC.  He said your toon is basically reborn.  He said he recommends not to transfer to be able to keep them at my house.  If this is not correct, take it up with him.
    edited May 2023
    “Why it matters if folder says John739465? You very rarely need to access these folders, should ideally never have to access them

John will still be called John in game”
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “Why it matters? You very rarely need to access these folders”
    I doubt it could be done that simply, I would assume the folder needs to match the name.

Learning where the files are and how to copy them is worth not having unique names.

Since all your toons have the same name, roleplay they are all identical twins?

My different account toons are all related in some way.
    “You’re basically accusing devs of being inept if you think they can’t do that.
    considering uoassist has option to save folders by a unique ID…”
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “You’re basically accusing devs of being inept if you think they can’t do that.
    considering uoassist has option to save folders by a unique ID…”
    I am not a programmer so it would be near impossible for me to do this. They decide what is the most important item on their ever growing to do list.
    They have had their jobs for many years do you know what they are capable of and not?  What do you base your vast knowledge of the developers skills on?  There is a difference between not doing something because it will not enhance the game enough to spend time on it versus what they are working on now, and not knowing how to do it.  All of us know how to do many things.  Do we do all of them every day/week/year just to prove to some anonymous internet troll that we can do it?  They know that troll will want something different the next day and not use what they did for him the previous day.

We work on computers, players have been making Mods for games since the floppy disk era. Many games have someone reveal cheat codes as soon as the game is released. Ya players that have the skills and no responsibility to the company or quality of the game can do many things.
    edited May 2023
    “Number of bugs fixed in last ‘publish’
    Enhanced client 0
    Classic client 0

Wow it must’ve taken them a long time to come up with that ‘priority’ list

I actually felt like I was robbed and scammed”
    edited May 2023
    Do you also pay to see movies you do not like?   Do you also frequent a restaurant that has food you do not like.  Sounds like it it time for a re-evaluation on where you spend entertainment money.  Plenty are like me, none of your "bugs" affect my play.  So they deem keeping the majority% of players happy and spending time on other content.

There are a heck of a lot more game choices than many forms of entertainment.  I am playing two others at the moment.  

Maybe after NL is released they will do a 5 year bug fix for all the things you think are bugs and see how well Mervyn Online goes.
    edited May 2023
    “I experience almost 0 bugs when I go to trammel

Select nearest hostile: don't need to seperate neutral animals from oranges as no orange in tram and when other players cast red drone you don't actually attack them as you can't, and guild members not possible for them to turn grey/red in trammel...

Wall of stone - no rubber banding as you walk through it in trammel

Nerve strike debuff missing, I don't think there even is a mob that nerve strikes in trammel

attunement cooldown - only bugged in CC, fixed 100% in EC default ui even, happens in trammel but mobs don't move as fast as player so you can just move out of the way of mob...

Proof that if dev ever played game they stay in trammel and probably use EC too"

• JohnKnighthawkeJohnKnighthawke Posts: 406
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi said:
    " here we go again,

"

Well your fellow popular kids in this particular playground have indicated that if they don't think something counts as "broken," it shouldn't be fixed. This of course begs the question of what counts as broken and whose definition of broken we should use.

Consider this: If the issue had been raised by, say, Popps, would it have gotten as positive a response? Or would folks have told him to just use the available workaround of not making characters named the same?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Have learned a lot about the UO files on my computer from players responding to this thread.  Thank you.  Thread seems to be meandering a little now to bugs. After four years of playing and looking at tons of older as well as newer stuff written about UO on the internet, have determined that a lot of the bugs have been around so long they are likely just inherent to the game and can’t be fixed.  Also, many charts are just so old, players can’t rely on fact and figures in them as being absolute anymore.  And, also learned not to rely 100% on explanations of how things work because some are more likely explanations of how things are suppose to work.  Overall. In my opinion the game itself still works for me, so I will continue to play it.  

Play mostly in Trammel rule set areas using EC and don’t use any third party programs.  Think sometimes UO staff responding to these discussions could show a little more empathy to players sometimes.  For example, don’t think what the poster asked for in this thread was unreasonable.  Was glad to see that other players provided him with the information UO should have provided.

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Characters with the same name has been a known problem for many, many years. There is no easy answer to it.

I try to keep in mind that the developers who created the classic client were pioneers, they were feeling their way as best they could, the game wasn't expected to last more than 6 months. They never expected their decisions to be affecting players 25 years in the future.

Later game companies learned from their mistakes, but some of those early mistakes can't really be fixed without a complete re-write of the client. 

UO is so different to the modern games that my nVidia graphics card doesn't even register it as being a game at all!
    The page linked in another thread can help people understand a little about how character files are stored. 
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/copying-character-files/
  • JohnKnighthawkeJohnKnighthawke Posts: 406
    edited May 2023
    Arnold7 said:
     Think sometimes UO staff responding to these discussions could show a little more empathy to players sometimes.  For example, don’t think what the poster asked for in this thread was unreasonable. 

Did staff reply in this thread? I must've missed it. Where?

Generically, I will say that communication problems between the players and the team have literally been an issue since the beginning with both sides being unreasonable -- sometimes alternately, sometimes both at once.

I tend to be harsher on staff because they're being paid to do it, but even then sometimes the players are clearly in the wrong.

Funny little story: I was once personally insulted on Stratics by a Stratics higher-up....Who, within days of that incident, wound up as UO's communications director. His disposition did not improve in that position. In fact I doubt he remembers this.

edited May 2023
    Characters with the same name has been a known problem for many, many years.

"it's not in the readme on the manual or anything,
    show me please

with this statement, it feels like you're blaming the user

if something has been a problem for a long time, that makes the issue worse, not better"
    " @Petra_Fyde please send me a link to your bug report on this if its been known for many many years, either this forum or stratics, or you decided to sit on the info and not tell anyone just to screw new players over?"
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I'm not 'sitting' on any info. I didn't report it and I didn't experience it. All my characters have unique names.  I merely remember reading about it in threads from years ago when people discussed it on Stratics. I'm not about to go searching through years of Stratics posts to find it, sorry. I'm not blaming the OP, only saying that some players knew about it. As far as I know there's no easy fix, and no 'official' information on it. 

edited May 2023
    Basic computer literacy has decreased in the last few years because of cell phones. It will be a benefit for people to learn what program shows you files and how to do a basic copy function. They will also understand why they can not name their characters the same names on the same shard and use different macros.

There are posters showing you how to modify the EC, which is what was intended, that looks a lot more difficult than copying a file or two.

Maybe more players will be confident enough to put those mods in their EC after they see they can do this.

Win win all around.

Note: you can not destroy your UO if you mess up and delete the character files.  New ones will be written when you log off.

A basic file setup up of a mage and warrior are great to have available to use when needed.

We do not have to dumb down the player base to prove a silly point.