lobster traps

why are these not craftable ? at almost 200 gp a piece and given the loss rate 

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    That's a very good question, and if we took a poll, I'm sure we all could come to the same conclusion as to why this isn't a craftable item.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    Careful, you will get a Vet reward Lobster Trap.  :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,997
    Pawain said:
    Now a trap creating tool...
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,830
    Pawain said:
    If I never lost it, i'll take it.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,936
    Grimbeard said:
    If they were made as craftable, though, I would like to see them having varying efficiencies, depending on the skills and materials involved to craft them....

And, I would like to see multiple skills involved, such as fishing, tinkering, carpentry with the most efficient traps (i.e., sinking after a longer time thus being able to catch a larger number of crabs/lobsters) requiring 120 fishing and 100 tinkering and carpentry as well as some not so common components in order to make them.

Some of the materials involved, especially for the longest enduring and most efficient traps, could come as Rewards from the Fishmonger Quests.....
    edited May 2023
    Yes!  A vet reward that allows you to craft them but you have to have GM Fishing, Tinkering, Music, Carpentry, Alchemy, Tailor, Imbuing and Camping!  That will give a 1.43% chance not to catch no name crabs!   :D   

You will need Gold Dust, Crushed Glass, Scales, Lard of Paroxymus and 100 white pearls.

Nice going Popps!

Im still looking for Trophy Crabs!  You never get me any.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 902
    as mentioned many times in the past, I would also like to see a legendary fisherman 100% avoid catching crappy lobsters and crabs
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    as mentioned many times in the past, I would also like to see a legendary fisherman 100% avoid catching crappy lobsters and crabs
    You sound crabby pattie
    Much like footwear no names being caught should decrease with skill gain JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SKILL mages dont fizzle warriors miss less crafers fail less yet fishermen still catch trash
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Grimbeard said:

People keep talking about adding a "gold sink" to help with inflation; I'd consider this one of them. There are plenty of other items in game that also are bought via NPC and cannot be crafted.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    I'm not sure I see the need to involve multiple crafting skills, pushing crafting templates even tighter than they already are. We already have basket making in game, just add lobster pots to the menu for that? 
    I'm assuming that serious fishermen know that you don't have to sail to sea market to buy them? The Fisherman's guild on Magincia docks sells them.
    I'm not sure I see the need to involve multiple crafting skills, pushing crafting templates even tighter than they already are. We already have basket making in game, just add lobster pots to the menu for that? 
    I'm assuming that serious fishermen know that you don't have to sail to sea market to buy them? The Fisherman's guild on Magincia docks sells them.
    I am aware of selling locations but they are too expensive given the loss rate irregardless 
    I only lose traps when trying for the rare types, I mostly use the 'rowboat' method in EC with macro's I've developed myself. (video on my youtube if anyone is interested)

Would you be onboard with my idea of adding them to the basket weaving menu?
    IPetra_Fyde said:
    I only lose traps when trying for the rare types, I mostly use the 'rowboat' method in EC with macro's I've developed myself. (video on my youtube if anyone is interested)

Would you be onboard with my idea of adding them to the basket weaving menu?
    I would indeed!
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 637
    Weaving, carpentry or tinkering works for me. The old ones used in New England were made of wood slats nailed to a wood frame and rope.  Traps these days are made of wire mesh.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    Tinker
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Tinker , or even tinker/carp would be fine. Nothing more, the crafter doesn't need to have fishing either, no more than a Blacksmith back in the day had to also be a warrior in order to know how to make armor/shield.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Basket weaving sounds good. No other skills needed. Then we can make colors!
    edited May 2023
    Just to clarify for the sake of those that aren't aware Basket Weaving is an extension of the Tinkering skill.
    as described: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/tinkering/basket-weaving/