New Legacy still a thing?

Back in September 2020, Mesanna and crew announced the next biggest thing for UO...since the announcement we have barely had any information about it.  The last (that I being 4 months ago with information we already knew and some random screen shots in Jan newsletter.  

The purpose given for the NL was to bring new players and bring excitement to "relive experiences", IF I was a new player hearing about this announcement in 2020, you can get basic info on the website and then that's it.  To me seemed like someone dropped the ball, why announce something and then rarely give updates, offer testing, or even a hint of availability then you have already lost my attention.

If anyone has a date, I haven't seen one so thanks ahead of time.

@Kyronix ;@Bleak ;@Mesanna

Comments

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,903
    Unfortunately no one knows..
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Idk but that champ spawn in hidden valley with the unreachable altar at the top of the mage tower seemed pretty lit. Also did you guys see how they were bandage xhealing in that one video, when was the last time someone used bandages in UO? It was like watching a mobile BK wall! Boy howdy it sure does look like we're in for a good time.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Be careful what you ask for.  They have published some more recent updates in a newsletter or something else longtime players know about.  But with the number of major obvious errors I am seeing, like flagging innocent players at the previous Deceit event and turning off the current egg spawn without notice, it is very obvious something is wrong at the top.  I am just hoping UO does not crash forever.

• MacroPlanetMacroPlanet Posts: 70
    I don't know. I just don't know what to feel about anything official UO anymore. It just feels like the love is gone from the devs.

Richard Garriott has mentioned he has tried reaching out to EA a couple of times about making a deal with the Ultima/UO license, but EA doesn't really have any interest. Kind of wish EA would just let Richard Garriott purchase the rights to Ultima again. It's gotta be better than what we have now.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I don't Garriot back. Look what he did with Shroud of the Avatar.
    Marge said:
    Look at where UO is now.

I think he could handle his old property just fine.
  • KarynKaryn Posts: 55
    I'd rather not have Garriot back; I don't see that as the saving grace, some folks might believe.

If NL is still a thing, the last monthly... er periodic newsletter said they were aiming for a mid-year Alpha (June / July). If that's the case, I would expect a monthly... er periodic newsletter to be coming out in the next week or so with an update of on-time or delayed. 
    Karyn said:
    I'd rather not have Garriot back; I don't see that as the saving grace, some folks might believe.

If NL is still a thing, the last monthly... er periodic newsletter said they were aiming for a mid-year Alpha (June / July). If that's the case, I would expect a monthly... er periodic newsletter to be coming out in the next week or so with an update of on-time or delayed. 
    I just have a difficult time believing it's going to release this summer since the last update we got was just a screenshot of a couple of flags and an orc tower. Most likely going to be a delay or no mention of it at all, per usual  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Richard Garriott sold his soul to greed. I hope EA never sells UO to him or anyone associated with him.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    Richard Garriot did not do UO on his own it took a large team to create UO and that team no longer exists so just having Richard would do nothing.  Richard has done nothing after UO so was it him or his team that made UO was it was/is.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    edited May 2023
    Jepeth said:

That is creepy as hell! Why would anyone want to bid on that! Where's the vomiting emoji?
    Marge said:
    Look at where UO is now.

I think he could handle his old property just fine.

SoTA is even a grindier mess than UO. He can stay where ever he is at now. I know he sold SOTA; not sure what he doing now.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    I would rather have Designer Dragon (Raph Koster).  He went on to do SWG which is really the way UO should have been built.
    edited May 2023
    It's not uncommon knowledge that Garriott isn't a great programmer himself, in fact he's even admitted it himself on multiple occasions. While his upbringing was in programming these games, that was only a secondary thing that he needed to do for his real passion, which was story telling and roleplaying. What he has always brought to professional development isn't actually coding or development itself, it's been building teams and putting the right people together, his teams just tend to get shafted from EA to NCSoft.

One of the original real power dynamics UO had when it came to it's production was actually Raph and his wife, but more than that there was a great deal of talent on the original teams who weren't the top credited names.
    gay said:
    It's not uncommon knowledge that Garriott isn't a great programmer himself, in fact he's even admitted it himself on multiple occasions. While his upbringing was in programming these games, that was only a secondary thing that he needed to do for his real passion, which was story telling and roleplaying. What he has always brought to professional development isn't actually coding or development itself, it's been building teams and putting the right people together, his teams just tend to get shafted from EA to NCSoft.

One of the original real power dynamics UO had when it came to it's production was actually Raph and his wife, but more than that there was a great deal of talent on the original teams who weren't the top credited names.
    Yeah, that's kind of the point with wanting to bring RG back. We all know Raph Koster was a master behind his work. However, he never really stated having an interest in coming back to the Ultima series. 

Richard Garriott has, a couple of times. He's even reached out to EA about possibly returning. So he's interested in coming back at some capacity. I know some of his other games were not hits, but he still has the passion to building worlds. He just excels at Ultima, I think with him we could see some cool things and he obviously has that passion for the series since it was his. That's something I think goes a lot further than you think, because I don't see that type of passion behind Broadsword.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    edited May 2023
    EA has nothing to do with bring Richard back as BS now takes care of that part.
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 91
    I like his rat tail
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    This team created SA right ? 
  • GaretjaxGaretjax Posts: 34
    Not sure who created what, just figured there might have been a poll or something that would've asked the people who kept the lights on all these years what they would want in game, instead of blind siding us with something that most have lost any hype about due to lack of any information given...
    Garetjax said:
    Not sure who created what, just figured there might have been a poll or something that would've asked the people who kept the lights on all these years what they would want in game, instead of blind siding us with something that most have lost any hype about due to lack of any information given...

I mean, there are a lot of us who wish they would have asked us "Hey is this how you would like UO to look?" and shown us gameplay of the EC before the committed to launching it. But instead they went full into it, and when it was met with majority disapproval they followed it up with "sure it's not how UO looked, but it's how the game looks in our vision of UO" and that right there should have told us all everything we needed to know. People who still play UO didn't stick around with the hopes of yet another failed attempt to port it over to a 3d client, the original look and feel of UO is largely what has always drawn people and kept people playing it. The 99/00/04 "3d client race to compete with other games" pipe dream was one of the most detrimental things to ever happen to UO.