Why aren't we as a community working together to get rid of people like this?

Some of you have probably already seen the this reddit post, or listened to the video (warning: it has strong language), or even signed the petition that's been posted. But I think a lot of people have not.

I'm not the author of any of the original post, petition, or the video but as I haven't seen it here I am going to post it because I feel like it's something that has been going on for quite a while now and all the while has been being swept under the rug and largely just ignored. The out of game voice/text chat isn't really something we can expect the devs to do anything about, however when it spills over into the game and into the general chat I feel like it's our responsibility as members of the UO community to come together and demand that something be done about it.

The perpetrators captured in general chat have been skirting the ToS for months now by playing on what would be the ignorance of a responding GM. Ever since they learned about what had happened to a member of the community, they've wasted no time at all in weaponizing it against that person, and while I'm no fan of that person in particular, these sort of tactics are completely unjustified.

Now while what these two are doing is wrong, I'm not saying that there hasn't been any wrong doing by the friends of the person that they are harassing and I'm not condoning anyone's actions here, but when there has been so little done to prevent this sort of activity, it's only fair that people will lose composure.

@Kyronix since you seem to be the only active member of development on the forums I am hoping you can look into this and bring it up to the team.

@Mariah I guess doctor this post up as you see fit to make it presentable, but we're all adults here and this sort of thing needs to be taken care of as it's gone on long enough.

Here are the relevant links:

While the video is posted in the petition, I will refrain from posting it here and remind anyone who would listen to it that hasn't already that there is strong language used within the video and it is definitely not appropriate for children to overhear.

Comments

• OreoglOreogl Posts: 285
    edited April 2023
    Jesus Christ.  This needs to be addressed or I’m cancelling all subs immediately.

I will not support a game who would encourage this by inaction.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I do not think players can be banned for their video chats with others.  Mesanna was on Atlantic during the General Chat.

Frankly, there is not enough in game info for me to see anything bad.  Those 2 chat pictures are all there is?

First problem, why are you telling people in a video game about your personal business.

How do we know this Bill person has/had a daughter?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Pawain said:
    I do not think players can be banned for their video chats with others.  Mesanna was on Atlantic during the General Chat.

Frankly, there is not enough in game info for me to see anything bad.  Those 2 chat pictures are all there is?

First problem, why are you telling people in a video game about your personal business.

For once i agree with Allen and there is a block feature available 
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

These are the most ridiculous things I’ve
    read yet.  Victim blaming for not using the block button?

I’m appalled at both of your morals.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Has the person in person been on in chat sense that night @Mesanna went off.
    edited May 2023
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Explain what the player said in the game.  I see nothing that warrants a ban.

Yall fell for the troll that he is.

Every time someone says something about someones mother, should they be banned?
    It's fine with me, if you want to do that with my mother that died at 90 in 2008, go for it. Weirdo.
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Trying to insert your  moral values into a video game is absurd you want to punish someone for words that the "Victim" could ignore but if his child had played and he'd placed a monument you're perfectly fine with it being desecrated 
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

The recording and the chat log is clear where he is referring to.

Show some dignity.
    Grimbeard said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Trying to insert your  moral values into a video game is absurd you want to punish someone for words that the "Victim" could ignore but if his child had played and he'd placed a monument you're perfectly fine with it being desecrated 
    My morals remain the same regardless of what medium I’m using.  It is a shame a game is where yours ends.

Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.
    That tiny chat log?  It says nothing about the child that is bannable.  
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.
    See previous comment. 
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.
    See previous comment. 
    What the person says in a video is not supposed to be looked at by a video game for punishment.

I stopped listening at 10 seconds, knew it was click bait from a troll.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.

And this is why the context of the entire situation is important. They've been attacking this person for months on multiple out of game platforms, and more carefully within the game itself. What's captured in those two journal clips is just the most recent (a few nights ago) example, but it has been much worse in the past. All of which have been reported by multiple people. But again, when a GM responds, they only know what is being said in the game, ignorant of the context to which it references.
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.
    See previous comment. 
    What the person says in a video is not supposed to be looked at by a video game for punishment.

I stopped listening at 10 seconds, knew it was click bait from a troll.
    This is where our differences will remain then.  Good evening.
    edited May 2023
    gay said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.

And this is why the context of the entire situation is important. They've been attacking this person for months on multiple out of game platforms, and more carefully within the game itself. What's captured in those two journal clips is just the most recent (a few nights ago) example, but it has been much worse in the past. All of which have been reported by multiple people. But again, when a GM responds, they only know what is being said in the game, ignorant of the context to which it references.
    Tell them to call the police and see if they are stalking them.

Again, how does the other parties know what other platforms the person is using?  Why did the offended person tell his private info to anonymous people in multiple games.
    That person should learn from this and not tell people online about his private business.
    The internet is not a place to get sympathy. Especially Reddit.

Sure Tails is a crappy person, there are plenty of them in UO PvP. 

(I am Pretty sure it is against the RoC for this forum to mention player names. Or show chat logs.)
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited May 2023
    Pawain said:
    gay said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Show some dignity.

Tell them to call the police and see if they are stalking them.

Again, how does the other parties know what other platforms the person is using?  Why did the offended person tell his private info to anonymous people in multiple games.
    That person should learn from this and not tell people online about his private business.
    The internet is not a place to get sympathy. Especially Reddit.

Sure Tails is a crappy person, there are plenty of them in UO PvP. 

Ah yes "Shame on you for processing your grief at one point, you deserve to log into a video game and have it subtly thrown in your face at every opportunity."

Because that's what we all pay our subscriptions for.

• ArmyArmy Posts: 9
    Bottom feeders..always were always will be.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    The Dev's have the ability to look at past history of things that were said. If they really wanted to investigate something as horrific as this, they can. We've all seen this behavior which constitutes serious harassment. Some get away with it and bad us for not holding people accountable for their actions. Some do try to call out these emotionally immature people in GC but they end up being bullied by said individuals. These people have no boundaries.

If the GMs & Dev's can't/won't do it, then either they can't find anything or they don't think it's an important enough matter to attend to.

And Gay, thank you for boldly bringing this issue forward. Most don't have the guts to do that.

Is it time to change our ways in how we hold/ don't hold these people accountable?
    I disagree with this statement in the petition:

They must be on Tails and Ani's friends list, or getting paid off as no one should stand for this type of behavior when it comes to real life outside the scope of the game.

First they accuse the GMs of something, but have no proof of course.

Then they say we should be held responsible for things we do outside the game.

Who is going to judge which people are allowed to play UO?
  • gay said:
    Some of you have probably already seen the this reddit post, or listened to the video (warning: it has strong language), or even signed the petition that's been posted. But I think a lot of people have not.

I'm not the author of any of the original post, petition, or the video but as I haven't seen it here I am going to post it because I feel like it's something that has been going on for quite a while now and all the while has been being swept under the rug and largely just ignored. The out of game voice/text chat isn't really something we can expect the devs to do anything about, however when it spills over into the game and into the general chat I feel like it's our responsibility as members of the UO community to come together and demand that something be done about it.

The perpetrators captured in general chat have been skirting the ToS for months now by playing on what would be the ignorance of a responding GM. Ever since they learned about what had happened to a member of the community, they've wasted no time at all in weaponizing it against that person, and while I'm no fan of that person in particular, these sort of tactics are completely unjustified.

Now while what these two are doing is wrong, I'm not saying that there hasn't been any wrong doing by the friends of the person that they are harassing and I'm not condoning anyone's actions here, but when there has been so little done to prevent this sort of activity, it's only fair that people will lose composure.

@ Kyronix since you seem to be the only active member of development on the forums I am hoping you can look into this and bring it up to the team.

@ Mariah I guess doctor this post up as you see fit to make it presentable, but we're all adults here and this sort of thing needs to be taken care of as it's gone on long enough.

While the video is posted in the petition, I will refrain from posting it here and remind anyone who would listen to it that hasn't already that there is strong language used within the video and it is definitely not appropriate for children to overhear.

Gay, did you not recently post to another player about allowing to "let his memory fade" regarding this matter? While I agree that the people involved are the worst elements of society, it raises the question of why you are now bringing it up so directly and "boldly," as suggested by @AmberWitch?"

"Bunny — 04/28/2023 11:22 AM
    Tbh you're making this entire thing the highlight of his existence atm. Is he a piece of s***? Sure. But sometimes you have to concede the fact that you're giving  him exactly what he wants and it's better to let his memory fade than to live in your head and be brought up constantly.
    If bill is even able ignore him, then you're not really doing anyone any good by giving the retard the one thing he wants, any form of attention what so ever.
    And I mean ask yourself, would you get this upset at a pile of dog s*** that you stepped in, and start yelling at it and telling people it's a disgusting pile of shit? Nah, you wipe it off and move on with your life.
    Because it's not going to change. And at the end of the day, who ends up being a bigger piece of s***? The guy who weaponizes that incident once or twice a week to get his dose of attention, or the guy who brings the incident up every single day multiple times a day to showcase how much of a piece of shit the other person is?"
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    Petition to ban someone from the game, man let me know if this goes through! I know a bunch of people I would like to get banned and can VPN up a few hundred votes on change.org myself.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    gay said:

@ Kyronix since you seem to be the only active member of development on the forums I am hoping you can look into this and bring it up to the team.

@ Mariah I guess doctor this post up as you see fit to make it presentable, but we're all adults here and this sort of thing needs to be taken care of as it's gone on long enough.

Gay, did you not recently post to another player about allowing to "let his memory fade" regarding this matter? While I agree that the people involved are the worst elements of society, it raises the question of why you are now bringing it up so directly and "boldly," as suggested by @ AmberWitch?"

"Bunny — 04/28/2023 11:22 AM
    Tbh you're making this entire thing the highlight of his existence atm. Is he a piece of s***? Sure. But sometimes you have to concede the fact that you're giving  him exactly what he wants and it's better to let his memory fade than to live in your head and be brought up constantly.
    If bill is even able ignore him, then you're not really doing anyone any good by giving the retard the one thing he wants, any form of attention what so ever.
    And I mean ask yourself, would you get this upset at a pile of dog s*** that you stepped in, and start yelling at it and telling people it's a disgusting pile of shit? Nah, you wipe it off and move on with your life.
    Because it's not going to change. And at the end of the day, who ends up being a bigger piece of s***? The guy who weaponizes that incident once or twice a week to get his dose of attention, or the guy who brings the incident up every single day multiple times a day to showcase how much of a piece of shit the other person is?"
    This is classic so it's ok to refer to someone as a retard? 
    Need to Ban Bunny also?  Whoever that is.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    This is not an issue to be resolved on a public forum, but in private between the offended player and Broadsword by email.
This discussion has been closed.