Luck & Treasure Chests

A question on treasure chests:  Back in 2014, @Kyronix said,

"The luck of whomever digs up the chest, at the moment they dig it up is used to calculate loot intensity. At the core, loot from mobs and in treasure chests is generated the same, the numbers that factor into those calculations for intensity however, are generated differently. "

Source: https://stratics.com/threads/question-about-luck-in-tr-hunting-after-86-pub.328473/

My question is what does "at the moment they dig it up" mean?  Is it dig #1, or is it the very last dig?

I've been wearing a luck suit while digging, but switching to a combat suit before the initial spawn appears.  I'm wondering if that strategy negates the luck bonus because I switch suits too soon.

Comments

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    I dunno the answer but I will wear my luck suit from the very start of digging until the chest is fully on the screen and the spawn appears. Then I invis and hope for the best.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Once the chest is spawned, so if you switch after you see the chest your luck has already been factored in.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    And if you're in a  party? does the party total get counted, or is it only the digger,. regardless of party luck...
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Who ever digs up the chest if I am not mistaken.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Does this remind anyone else of shrodinger’s cat? When gas escapes from a chest, is it the highest intensity item that gets destroyed or any random item?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    edited June 2018
    It will blow up anything in the chest.  I've had everything blown up from an ID Wand to worthless armor or weapon or jewelry to the Gold or new map.  Strictly random.  I have not seen them blow up the drop in the green bag but I'm sure they would do it.
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    how did you see what was blown up?
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    Kyronix said:
    Once the chest is spawned, so if you switch after you see the chest your luck has already been factored in.

@Kyronix sorry for my nitpickiness, but the answer still seems ambiguous to me.  I can see the partial chest while digging, so I'm not exactly sure when "once the chest is spawned."

I estimate I've dug over 10,000 treasure chests in 18 years - it's my favorite activity - but I'm still not sure when the luck if factored in.  On the very last dig, the chest is fully visible and the guardians spawn.  Are you saying luck is factored in between these two events, after the fully visible chest and prior to the guardians?
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I took it that he meant once you can see the whole chest and finished digging, but you are right he could mean as soon as you have started digging and the chest is in existence...
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2018
    I would say it probably would’ve been better for the game not to have disclosed when the luck check is triggered. We have people redlining monsters and insta switching to a luck suit for the last hit which I’m sure was not the intentional design of luck and gameplay.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Luck shoulda never been introduced anyway.  I'm still not convinced it works.  I've seen great things come out of chests where we forgot all about luck, and then had lots of luck and pulled total trash out of 3-4 in a row.  consistently.  
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    jaytin said:
    I took it that he meant once you can see the whole chest and finished digging, but you are right he could mean as soon as you have started digging and the chest is in existence...
    Isn't the chest spawned when you decode the chest, you just have to dig it up? #tinfoilhat

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I don't see how the coding for chests can be different than the coding for saltpeter. Anyone who mines knows that saltpeter is dug on the first dig, and luck supposedly plays a role in the success of saltpeter..which is gained on the first dig..this is why I don't trust luck coding.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Hmm there seems to be a big area of ambiguity here, it would be good to know exactly when the chest is 'spawned' as it seems opinions are a bit all over the place!  ;)
    Spawned is meant to mean once the chest is spawned into the world.  It is spawned when you start digging.  You can see it underground by viewing object handles.
    Wow you are fast! Thank you so much, that makes things much clearer!  :)
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    Perfect, thanks.  :)

That means I can use my luck suit t start the dig and switch to combat suit prior to the last dig.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    How about SOS chests? At what point does luck gets factored in?  On first cast? when the chest is hulled up?  When the waypoint is marked?
    Hmmm interesting, I didn't think about SOS chests, they don't work in quite the same way as t-hunt chests. 
    TimSt said:
    How about SOS chests? At what point does luck gets factored in?  On first cast? when the chest is hulled up?  When the waypoint is marked?
    Same as a treasure chest, when the chest is created as you "fish it up"