Why does the Moderator keep closing down threads.

What is your reason for ending all the discussions. They hit on subjects that have personally killed my drive to play this game. I feel they should be discussed more and not just dismissed and swept under the rug. I keep waiting for someone in charge to get on with a answer to some of the questions being asked and all I get is this tread is closed. 

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Mostly because they have ceased to be 'discussions' and become trollfests with every poster attacking other posters. None of the threads are removed, they are there for the devs to see what has been said, and if the devs wish to comment, they have the ability to re-open a thread. 
    Troll posts have been removed, and simply replaced with more of the same. At some point I have to reach the conclussion that it is an excercise in futility to try to keep a thread on track and troll free.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    Mariah said:
    and if the devs wish to comment, they have the ability to re-open a thread. 

“Umm, why game dev has moderator privileges on forum site? They are qualified moderators?

Seems like a privilege they should not have”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2023
    While there tends to be some overmoderation, there are also a large amount of threads in which people just root themselves into a looped argument and refuse to accept even the idea of any solution other than the one they feel best suits their needs, regardless of how poorly thought out it might be. Thus creating a pointless and stagnant thread that has no actual purposeful direction. In those threads generally every point that the OP is going to try and make has already been written and posted by them, and everything else is just some vain regurgitation of that point and biased dismissal of any counter point, and there is no real point to it staying open past that point.
  • BenjaminBenjamin Posts: 13
    I'm probably wrong but isn't that what a forum is for. If it stays at the top of the list must be an issues many feel passionate about. It shouldn't be set to the bottom because it was closed. Let it fall to the bottom when it is not an issue anymore. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

“Umm, why game dev has moderator privileges on forum site? They are qualified moderators?

So you hire someone to Mod your forum/game that you own but you do not give yourself the same if not more abilities as you give your employee, LMAO, good thing you are not a business owner.  @Mariah as you are all powerful would you use your powers to rewrite the UO code and put any changes into UO you think are good and stop locking threads and just delete them because you are the all powerful OZ.  @Yoshi is under the impression that you have more power or should have more power than even the Dark Lady herself. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Most of the time the moderator closes discussions for legitimate reasons with trolling, to be honest, just being one of them.  I don’t always agree with the moderators reasoning but most of the time I do and I think so do most others.  Recommend you review a couple dozen or so of the closed ones.
    Lord_Frodoは言いました:
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

So you hire someone to Mod your forum/game that you own but you do not give yourself the same if not more abilities as you give your employee, LMAO, good thing you are not a business owner.  @ Mariah as you are all powerful would you use your powers to rewrite the UO code and put any changes into UO you think are good and stop locking threads and just delete them because you are the all powerful OZ.  @ Yoshi is under the impression that you have more power or should have more power than even the Dark Lady herself. 
    What she was getting at was people like you have to get in threads and give nothing but negative insults with no solutions. Way to prove her point lol.

edited April 2023
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

So you hire someone to Mod your forum/game that you own but you do not give yourself the same if not more abilities as you give your employee, LMAO, good thing you are not a business owner.  @ Mariah as you are all powerful would you use your powers to rewrite the UO code and put any changes into UO you think are good and stop locking threads and just delete them because you are the all powerful OZ.  @ Yoshi is under the impression that you have more power or should have more power than even the Dark Lady herself. 

"Mesanna is not a dev
    she don't know anything about coding, or even the game"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited April 2023
    Benjamin said:
    Lord_Frodoは言いました:
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

What she was getting at was people like you have to get in threads and give nothing but negative insults with no solutions. Way to prove her point lol.

LMAO So telling someone that they are clueless about how a real business works is now an insult or better yet telling someone that tells everyone that they know everything about UO, Just ask him/mervyn is an insult.  UO owns UO Forum they tell the MODs their duties not the other way around and sorry if this hurts your feelings.  TY for letting us know Yoshi/Mervyn is a she and that you support Yoshi attacking the DEVs
    " how have i attacked the devs?
    by saying that they should not have forum moderator privileges is not an attack at all"
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited April 2023
    "Mesanna is not a dev
    she don't know anything about coding, or even the game"
    As proven by your bug reports that are not bugs. You know less about the game .

I think anyone would consider this a personal attack.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,895
    Some posters are allowed to attack anyone who post an issue this simply needs to stop 
    edited April 2023
    "as far as i'm aware she is not a dev or coder

again not a personal attack, i am not a coder, doesn't mean i'm stupid

she prob has more important things to do

and she don't play the game, as per all the meet and greets, people say things to her and her reaction is like its the first she has heard of it, these are not personal attacks, she prob too busy to play the game. "

"people find absolutely everything i type as
    a personal attack/offensive

when to me i am just writing factual statements.

It's a good job that my eyesight does not allow me to read chat in game and respond and that i am not logged into general chat, or else it seems i would be banned after 5 mins"
    Yoshi said:
    " how have i attacked the devs?
    by saying that they should not have forum moderator privileges is not an attack at all"
    LOL How is it possible that the people that write the code for the game not know more about the game than the MODs, now that is funny.  They are MORE qualified than the MODs and to tell them they should not have more power than the MODs is funny and wasn't it the DEVs that banned you/Mervyn and isn't it the DEVs that have the power to delete threads and isn't it the DEVs that everyone wants to answer questions.  And yes as is your norm now every chance you get you do put down/attack the DEVs you just aren't as blatant about it as when you posted as Mervyn.
    edited April 2023
    "okay... what are you talking about?
    I did not say that devs do not know more about the game than the mods.

But they are not inherently qualified as a forum mod.

Being a forum mod requires diplomatic and social skills. Something that IT professionals quite often lack (not always, but as a nature of the profession)"
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    gay said:
    threads in which people just root themselves into a looped argument and refuse to accept even the idea of any solution other than the one they feel best suits their needs, 
    Yeah, you should stop doing that when people make suggestions on possible game changes that you don't happen to like. You might also not want to, based on play style differences, get so personally insulting toward fellow posters. That's bound to cause people to retaliate. Which of course will move the thread toward getting locked. While you're at it, stop cherry picking, twisting, and ignoring the facts and true meaning of what other posters have to say. That just makes you look willfully ignorant. You might also want to consider not trolling in a thread that's specifically talking about how trolling gets threads shut down.
    edited April 2023
    "there is actually an inherent danger of a Dev having moderator privileges.

here is an example.

Dev will always default to position on any bug as 'working as intended' as its in their interest as that way they don't have to fix anything or do any additional work.

There has been an occasion in the past where a dev posted that something was working as intended - which turned out to be false, i think it was VvV epaulette not being repairable and after dev posted this, thread immediately got closed. I don't have proof the dev closed the thread (will give benefit of doubt and say it was forum mod), but it is not beyond reason to assume dev could've abused their power and just tried to have final say and close issue without giving customer opportunity to respond and correct their statement. "
    Grimbeard said:
    Some posters are allowed to attack anyone who post an issue this simply needs to stop 
    We are not attacking the OP,  We are attacking the mister know it all.  @Mariah gave a very well thought out reason and explained that the DEVs have the power to post in locked threads and even reopen locked threads and as UO is the owner of this forum than they should have this ability and more but not to Yoshi.  So if a DEV thinks that the OP has a valid point and the thread was locked by a mod than by all means the DEV should and does to either post a comment and leave it locked or unlock it maybe after a little house cleaning for more discussion.
    edited April 2023
    We are attacking the mister know it all.

"that is all, i'll just leave this right here"
    Yoshi said:
    We are attacking the mister know it all.

"that is all, i'll just leave this right here"
    We are all glad that you want to remember why we post about you so much.  Glad I could help.
    "is this a royal we?
    how many people in your basement?"
    Lord_Frodoは言いました:
    Benjamin said:
    Lord_Frodoは言いました:
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

LMAO So telling someone that they are clueless about how a real business works is now an insult or better yet telling someone that tells everyone that they know everything about UO, Just ask him/mervyn is an insult.  UO owns UO Forum they tell the MODs their duties not the other way around and sorry if this hurts your feelings.  TY for letting us know Yoshi/Mervyn is a she and that you support Yoshi attacking the DEVs
    Lol It was you all jumped on a thread to start insults and bashing each other. When the thread was clearly for the moderators and they clearly answered my question. Sorry I asked. You all jumped right in and validated her point.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 285
    Dear lord I would have locked and deleted a lot of those threads too.

Some days I understand why some of the devs never respond.   :D
    Oreogl said:

I say BS  we all have jobs where we put up with "difficult " customers the only difference is we cant play ostrich 
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    LilyGrace said:
    gay said:
    threads in which people just root themselves into a looped argument and refuse to accept even the idea of any solution other than the one they feel best suits their needs, 
    Yeah, you should stop doing that when people make suggestions on possible game changes that you don't happen to like. You might also not want to, based on play style differences, get so personally insulting toward fellow posters. That's bound to cause people to retaliate. Which of course will move the thread toward getting locked. While you're at it, stop cherry picking, twisting, and ignoring the facts and true meaning of what other posters have to say. That just makes you look willfully ignorant. You might also want to consider not trolling in a thread that's specifically talking about how trolling gets threads shut down.

Hey, when you want to have an adult sized conversation and stop talking to yourself in the mirror. Let us know.
    Grimbeard said:
    Oreogl said:

I say BS  we all have jobs where we put up with "difficult " customers the only difference is we cant play ostrich 
    I doubt she’s getting paid and this is a private forum for paid players.

Unless you’re going to help moderate I don’t think you have much of a leg to stand on.
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Oreogl said:

Unless you’re going to help moderate I don’t think you have much of a leg to stand on.
    I was speaking of the Dev team but same for the mods they are both veterans from stratics and are volunteers not victims 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    @Benjamin I think you have found the answer to your question in a very short amount of time. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Grimbeard said:
    Oreogl said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Oreogl said:

I was speaking of the Dev team but same for the mods they are both veterans from stratics and are volunteers not victims 
    I knew what you’re implying but the devs don’t moderate the forum.  The rest is irrelevant.