Multi boxing ??

Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
edited April 2023 in General Discussions
So a GM showed up and immediately took my EJ characters to jail, for standing on my ship for the past 30 minutes doing nothing while I was talking to my son. I won't post his name because really it doesn't matter. I multi client, like a lot of people do, but I don't multi box as I'm playing on the Enhanced client, so that would be a neat trick. Anyway, the GM pulled all of my EJs only to jail, he didn't take my 3 paid for accounts, which were all still standing on my ship. So he proceeds to pull them all to jail, and says to each one with his little script, hold on I'll talk to each one of you individually, which he then DID NOT DO!!. I hit alt tab on each client and said, it's me dude, this isnt' illegal. He never answered me, instead he said I would be receiving an email, which as of the typing of this post, I haven't received. They've all been given a warning as I can still log in on them and they're in jail, I just can't leave. But I'm beyond pissed about this. Multi clienting is legal and has been stated as such.I think this was the last straw for me. I"ll be closing my 3 active accounts, I'll box all of my s&*t up and give it away as I"ve done before. Good luck to the rest of you and have fun.

The 3rd one will be cancelled once I have all of my crap ready to give away.

And before the haters chime in, at the time of the interaction, my crew was standing on the ship all hidden. There were no players around as I was out in the middle of the water, I wasn't paged on as far as I can tell. I think this was the same GM that moved my ship previously and he had nothing better to do than to check up on me and once he saw my EJs he flipped his abuse of GM powers switch on and...anyway...doesn't matter lol...
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited April 2023
    Report the GM and his/her/they /them actions to the higher ups.  As described this sounds like an abuse of power.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Report the GM and his/her/they /them actions to the higher ups.  As described this sounds like an abuse of power.

Who you really think they're going to believe? I don't think the gm is required to provide video proof of tos violations, but that would be a great idea for the future. 

Either way, EJ accounts are considered throwaway accounts for a reason. You have minimal gold invested so it shouldn't be that great of a loss to justify trashing all your paid stuff. lol
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    A direct result of all the threads here about bots.

Like I keep saying these "bots" are players sitting at their gaming stations.

Seems the UO employees are doing what we ask.

We shall now call you Garth Bot.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    So check this out, this was the reason copied from the email.

Rules of Conduct: 23)    You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other site where Ultima Online may be played, and you will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Broadsword Online Ggames to be used with the Service.The Rules of Conduct clearly defines that users of the Ultima Online service are not allowed to use unapproved 3rd party programs.

???? Again, what unapproved 3rd party program was I using ? Apparently I was only using it on my EJ's huh ? Oh, and I've read the other emails. So they banned my EJs which they weren't making any money on, but didn't ban my paid for accounts. This just makes it that much easier to leave this game finally...

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited April 2023
    "what exactly were the EJ accounts doing?
    like, what were you using them for?
    i can see how it would look fishy

normally when people play, they don't log in multiple EJ accounts too with them"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
    Don't rage quit mate you will regret it.  Email Mesanna let her get to the bottom of it.  Like many of us you have invested far too much time and money to finish this way.  Wait for her to assist you 
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
    I assume you had to buy high seas for them to work. Hopefully she sees you are on EC client.  Send her screenshots this should  all be sorted out.  Show a screenshot if the macro u created if they were doing something.  The fact you spoke to the fm will surely be recorded in a journal somewhere at their end 
    Yoshi said:
    "what exactly were the EJ accounts doing?
    like, what were you using them for?
    i can see how it would look fishy

normally when people play, they don't log in multiple EJ accounts too with them"

I had paid the High Seas upgrade for all of them. I was collecting orc ship parts which I've done for years. You only have to do minimal damage to the pirate in order to get an ammo/ship part drop. My main tamer actually kills the dread, the others just collect their rewards for participating, or they did.

“okay but I don’t think that is what EJ accounts are supposed to be used for.
    I could be wrong”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    First off don't QUIT @Garth_Grey !

email @Mesanna she will fix this issue
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    If the OP is telling the truth, it looks like not all the 'multibox' numbers and potentially all the 'Actioned accounts" numbers in the "not-so-monthly news letter" are accurate... at all, as many of us suspected.

it's all been bullshit from the start, i know that canned e-mail you posted is absolute horse shit cause there are people all over discord playing official shards with several unapproved clients literally every single day, and these people are interacting with other players in pvp... not to mention what they use it for while they're not pvping.

Anyway, good luck.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2023
    Yeah good luck with that. What you the player intend to do legally or not with EJ accounts is largely up to the responding GM to decide whether or not it's gonna be allowed. And that's the problem when you recruit EMs out of the player pool, and GMs out of the EM pool. They come with bias and prejudice that they're hardly capable of putting aside, especially now that they have a little power to flex.

Ultimately it should be up to the players to decide how to use their EJ accounts, especially when they've paid for the upgrades for them, that's the door that the devs opened up when making a free-to-play model of the game, and have resigned themselves to respecting by limiting what EJ accounts are capable of doing instead of closing the program. It's very rarely enforced fairly though across all scenarios, more often as of recent though EJ accounts are simply just being terminated for even the smallest infractions.

There was an instance last year of a player using general chat to advertise recruitment of their guild as they were expanding within General Chat (inaccessible by EJs by then) a GM told them to stop advertising guild recruitment, the player refused because honestly that's absurd to tell a player to not use an ingame chat to put out an ingame guild recruitment message, the GM noted that the player had a few EJ accounts on their master account and terminated the entire master account citing that "every account was just an EJ account" and disregarding the fact that EJs cannot access general chat. So put yourself in their shoes, you're publicly recruiting for your guild to expand, you have collected some of your family's accounts over the years that have quit playing, allowed those accounts to transition over to EJ, and now those old accounts which have gone EJ can be used against you as a weapon anytime a GM feels you've stepped out of line by questioning their command for simply existing on your master account.

edited April 2023
    I've been thinking about the incident more, and while nothing was 3rd party anything, I think what happened was I didn't use the correct GM Talk key, which I couldn't remember so I simply spoke out loud, hell I even alt/tabbed each of my guys and stood them side by side in Jail and spoke on all of them as quickly as i could, but the GM never responded to anything I was saying. It's a tough pill to swallow because not only am I out the cost of High Seas on each account, but they were also somewhat scrolled which cost me a fortune, their skills were almost identical except for some Spirit Speak that a couple still had from when I started them, always start new char's with Necro skills, don't ask me why. Anyway I had also just 1 week ago activated 2 of my EJ accounts  because I got tired of them not being able to log out at my house. 3 of the banned accounts were old ones I had paid for for years and let them slip into EJ status... Anyway.....back to real life lol.

I've been thinking about the incident more, and while nothing was 3rd party anything, I think what happened was I didn't use the correct GM Talk key, which I couldn't remember so I simply spoke out loud, hell I even alt/tabbed each of my guys and stood them side by side in Jail and spoke on all of them as quickly as i could, but the GM never responded to anything I was saying. It's a tough pill to swallow because not only am I out the cost of High Seas on each account, but they were also somewhat scrolled which cost me a fortune, their skills were almost identical except for some Spirit Speak that a couple still had from when I started them, always start new char's with Necro skills, don't ask me why. Anyway I had also just 1 week ago activated 2 of my EJ accounts  because I got tired of them not being able to log out at my house. 3 of the banned accounts were old ones I had paid for for years and let them slip into EJ status... Anyway.....back to real life lol.

I not 100% certain but I don't think that there is any requirement to use the [chat feature to respond to a GM. As 90% of the time they are already there in person but hidden. Any in game attempt to speak with them would be sufficient, and even if they weren't there, they would have to move themselves to you if you didn't respond to their remote chat, that way they can observe what you're doing, again meaning basic in game speech is sufficient. I mean what if that key is broken on your keyboard? Given the fact that GMs are given the same exact responses by botters every single day ("hello i am using virtual keyboard pls give me a couple minutes to plug in my real keyboard to respond" is the most used message bots running on a certain package give when a GM shows up, disregard the fact that those characters are simultaneously casting spells, looping specials, attacking the same mob, xhealing, looting and insuring all at the same time... somehow a GM doesn't notice that and thinks the person really thinks they're being played on a virtual keyboard with a mouse only.), that should be a more than viable reason to not reply via the red text.
  • gay said:

I not 100% certain but I don't think that there is any requirement to use the [chat feature to respond to a GM. As 90% of the time they are already there in person but hidden. Any in game attempt to speak with them would be sufficient, and even if they weren't there, they would have to move themselves to you if you didn't respond to their remote chat, that way they can observe what you're doing, again meaning basic in game speech is sufficient. I mean what if that key is broken on your keyboard? Given the fact that GMs are given the same exact responses by botters every single day ("hello i am using virtual keyboard pls give me a couple minutes to plug in my real keyboard to respond" is the most used message bots running on a certain package give when a GM shows up, disregard the fact that those characters are simultaneously casting spells, looping specials, attacking the same mob, xhealing, looting and insuring all at the same time... somehow a GM doesn't notice that and thinks the person really thinks they're being played on a virtual keyboard with a mouse only.), that should be a more than viable reason to not reply via the red text.
    Yep, they can see anything you type. I have had more than one tell me that.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited April 2023
    This post is ridiculous. You did not get banned for doing nothing else everyone in Luna/Britain banks would be banned. Emailing Mesanna won't help. I'd imagine in this scenario since you were multiboxing they have no reason to open a chat with you, cause uh, you're already clearly doing something illegal:
    "Hey duper, please respond to me with [." ....  "Oh you're there, ok you're free to dupe"
    Doesn't make sense.
    Garth_Grey said:
    but I don't multi box as I'm playing on the Enhanced client
    That's the cutest thing I've ever heard.
    Appeal it but it sounds like you were multiboxing so I wish you luck.
    As we'll never get the full story from the OP I urge everyone to just ignore this post and @Mariah to close it.

EJs were a mistake.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    Also boohoo you lost a few EJ accounts, move on.

EJs were a mistake.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    "its not certain he was doing anything illegal, only immoral"
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Yoshi said:
    "its not certain he was doing anything illegal, only immoral"

And how exactly is legally multi clienting immoral?  
    "very often people come here to complain about people creating many EJ accounts and bringing them to event to get reward, abusing EJ account to get more orc ship reward is same thing no?"
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited April 2023
    Urge said:

Who you really think they're going to believe? I don't think the gm is required to provide video proof of tos violations, but that would be a great idea for the future. 

Either way, EJ accounts are considered throwaway accounts for a reason. You have minimal gold invested so it shouldn't be that great of a loss to justify trashing all your paid stuff. lol
    They look at the data which is recorded no matter who you are.  I guess you think GMs are so power that they can erase their data in the system.  Seriously how do you think they do system back ups every day.  A video, LOL, this whole game is nothing but a video.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited April 2023
    @Yoshi is on the right track, EJ accounts were not intended to be used to supplement paid accounts getting more rewards from an encounter.

The OP may have stated his reason and the GM declared it not within game mechanics.

The intent of EJ accounts is for new or returning players to play for free.  Not for paid accounts to gain more rewards.

@Kyronix
    The way to fix this is:

EJ accounts should not get any pack drops, They get a message saying. You would have earned a reward if you were using a subscribed account.

EJ accounts should not get any special drops on a Mob Corpse.  IE: Drops from Scalis, Champ, Peerless, etc like the Soulforge, etc, Again they would get a system message saying the above.

They should be able to get a feel for gameplay but no special rewards.

I assume they did it well in the last dungeon event where things were account bound to them, but I think they should just get a message that encourages them to subscribe when they would get something special.

You can tell that I have never used an EJ account.

PS a cool message would be,  HA HA you would have been given a 120 Tactics scroll just now if you were on a subscribed account!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    this seems logical  ^^^

• RockoRocko Posts: 174
    I would have never thought to use an EJ account in the first place let alone use an EJ account to get multiple rewards. 

Is it that players that simultaneously use EJ accounts are violating the TOS because the use of multiple accounts by one person to get more rewards creates an unfair advantage?
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    Sorry to see you go Garth.

We haven't always agreed, but it's always been a pleasure having you around.

Fair winds and following seas.
    -Arroth
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    They look at the data which is recorded no matter who you are.  I guess you think GMs are so power that they can erase their data in the system.  Seriously how do you think they do system back ups every day.  A video, LOL, this whole game is nothing but a video.

Idk what they can or can't do. Do you?
    Yoshi said:
    "very often people come here to complain about people creating many EJ accounts and bringing them to event to get reward, abusing EJ account to get more orc ship reward is same thing no?"

Which events are you talking about? EM events EJs dont receive drops, they get a message indicating that they would have gotten a drop but cannot due to their trial/ej status. Seasonal events are account bound when claimed by EJ accounts.

Most people farming now actually just use throw away paid accounts because GMs don't punish them as harshly as they do EJs for doing literally the exact same thing.
    edited April 2023
    “Hmm, the treasures of the fey event or whatever in destard I think you could get rewards as EJ and everyone complained,
    and if you could get EM reward with EJ, people would complain, 
    is my point”
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited April 2023
    Yoshi said:
    Rather then blaming player who try to make the time they have to spend in the game to get anything more reasonable by using more characters, subscribed or EJ that they might be, let us ask, instead, "why", there is players who feel such a need.....

Perhaps, "just" perhaps, this is because the Design makes the in-game time to get some items too time consuming, too long ?

Perhaps, "just" perhaps, if the Designers ( @Kyronix ? ) Designed the ingame mechanics so that the time to be invested to get items in the game was not so much time consuming, players would not feel the need to have to use multiple characters at once to get those items ?

Time, to my opinion, is the real asset.... the time gone will never come back, and to some players, the idea of seeing a whole lot of their time begone in a game just to get some pixels, might not be that much interesting.... so, to try to cut down that time spent, they use multiple characters....

Make items more readily obtainable in the game, and players will hopefully no longer feel the need to use multiple characters to get those items since their time to get, would already have been a reasonable one with no need to further shorten it by using multiple characters....

Ultima Online is, to my opinion, too much a time sink and this is not a good thing, IMHO.

At least, that is how I see it.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited April 2023
    Pawain said:
    @ Yoshi is on the right track, EJ accounts were not intended to be used to supplement paid accounts getting more rewards from an encounter.

The OP may have stated his reason and the GM declared it not within game mechanics.

The intent of EJ accounts is for new or returning players to play for free.  Not for paid accounts to gain more rewards.

@ Kyronix
    The way to fix this is:

EJ accounts should not get any pack drops, They get a message saying. You would have earned a reward if you were using a subscribed account.

EJ accounts should not get any special drops on a Mob Corpse.  IE: Drops from Scalis, Champ, Peerless, etc like the Soulforge, etc, Again they would get a system message saying the above.

They should be able to get a feel for gameplay but no special rewards.

I assume they did it well in the last dungeon event where things were account bound to them, but I think they should just get a message that encourages them to subscribe when they would get something special.

You can tell that I have never used an EJ account.

PS a cool message would be,  HA HA you would have been given a 120 Tactics scroll just now if you were on a subscribed account!
    And what about all of those players who have spent their REAL money to upgrade their EJ accounts to High Seas and Time of Legends ?

@Kyronix , if EJ accounts were to be deprived drops as I seem to understand Pawain might be suggesting, will players who no longer were to be able to use them be refunded their real money spent on ugrading their EJ account with High Seas and Time of Legends ?

I think that the ship to further restrict EJ accounts has sailed long ago.... now I think it too late, when many players have invested heavily in ugrading EJ accounts, in time, 120 Powerscrolls, Masteries and real money, that they can be made further useless.

It should have been done when introducing EJ accounts, now, I am of the opinion, it is way too late.