Road map for rest of the year

Current event runs until june ? Then what @Mesanna @Kyronix ;

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    26th anniversary
    trick or treat begging 3 new items
    turn on wild giant turkeys for thanks giving 1 new item and the old ones as well
    Xmas will be the same as few years Krampus with 1 news item
    no gifts this year just black painted rocks to look like coal its cheaper and we went green

oh and maybe 1 M&G and a NL suggestion that will keep you guessing  (I don't blame them for not saying anything about NL at this point)
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Summer Solstice is after this... I'd assume it starts in the summer but who knows what it will actually be. I'm hoping it's something with new rewards since this event is a repeat of everything.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    And Don't forget Artisan Fest! The Final Windows for the set is this year. It never too early to start on the BODs.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    This ^^^
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2023
    Left at Albuquerque.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 290
    I think with abit of humour the previous posters highlight the repetitive pattern of lack of creativity.
    Or should I say lack of resources/prioritizing.

I know the new NLshard will be great/amazing/fantastic etc, but when it breaks after 9months, and everyone is supposed to play prod shards.... You better make the prod shards more flawless, bugfree and improve some systems (VvV comes to mind, gardening system is a clickable pain, report system to GMs needs an overhaul, loot system should be tweaked, old quests overhauled based on difficoulty and reward items)

Newest big system to UO was the roof , which is now 5-6 years old and I believe not much new artis added since). Well its not a lack of creativity from the players, ask and you will get a million ideas of improvement.
    edited April 2023
    I'm with ya @psycho . Ironically enough there was the pro-NL and anti-NL groups at first when NL was announced, then 2 years went by and I most of those pro-NL people have lost interest and most people are in the "I just wish they would add some new content / maintenance to what we have" crowd.

It would be interesting to see what we actually get this year for NL because I feel like they've slowly but surely gone more into the rinse and repeat mode on Prod. The current event is a culmination of that thought where we wait 3 months for zero new reward...in fact they "brought back" the stealth robe which is a current reward for Blackthorns castle... it doesn't even make sense. The lack of originality is maddening when they could get tons of ideas from the players; even sorting through the unrealistic ones they could still arrive at a solid 3-4 low hanging fruit "new" things every 6 months that wouldn't be a dynamic event.

One thing that has been bugging me about the way the team is doing things now (lazily IMO) is that we are getting events for like easter eggs or halloween that are lasting 30-60 days PAST the holiday. Maybe it's just me but collecting easter eggs in May seems like extremely poor planning. It's like having Krampus still spawning in February. The easter egg piece should have been 1 month then it moves into something new.
  • looploop Posts: 302
    keven2002 said:
    I'm with ya @ psycho . Ironically enough there was the pro-NL and anti-NL groups at first when NL was announced, then 2 years went by and I most of those pro-NL people have lost interest and most people are in the "I just wish they would add some new content / maintenance to what we have" crowd.

It would be interesting to see what we actually get this year for NL because I feel like they've slowly but surely gone more into the rinse and repeat mode on Prod. The current event is a culmination of that thought where we wait 3 months for zero new reward...in fact they "brought back" the stealth robe which is a current reward for Blackthorns castle... it doesn't even make sense. The lack of originality is maddening when they could get tons of ideas from the players; even sorting through the unrealistic ones they could still arrive at a solid 3-4 low hanging fruit "new" things every 6 months that wouldn't be a dynamic event.

One thing that has been bugging me about the way the team is doing things now (lazily IMO) is that we are getting events for like easter eggs or halloween that are lasting 30-60 days PAST the holiday. Maybe it's just me but collecting easter eggs in May seems like extremely poor planning. It's like having Krampus still spawning in February. The easter egg piece should have been 1 month then it moves into something new.
    Don’t disagree with you, but the current event is a result of player feedback. People asked for more opportunities to earn past rewards and for the events to last longer.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 290
    loop said:
    keven2002 said:
    I'm with ya @ psycho . Ironically enough there was the pro-NL and anti-NL groups at first when NL was announced, then 2 years went by and I most of those pro-NL people have lost interest and most people are in the "I just wish they would add some new content / maintenance to what we have" crowd.

Don’t disagree with you, but the current event is a result of player feedback. People asked for more opportunities to earn past rewards and for the events to last longer.
    I’m pretty sure the devs came up with the event. Only a few players had input on the rewards.
    On top of this many assumed there would also be a dungeon accompanying this, there wasn’t.

• For my part, there are versions of cookie cutter events that I'd accept gladly. At least as of the last time I checked, which was a few years ago, Dark Age of Camelot had such a system, on a set, known in advance. Some events repeated (two examples: there was a "gypsy caravan" that sold you rare items that showed up, stuck around for awhile, then vanished; there was a world boss called Lillith that showed up in the PvP areas, and the PvPers had the choice to try and work together to fight it, or hope it slaughtered your enemies before it turned on you). Sometimes it seemed like the same type of event with new stories and new stuff. (Like what we have.)

It looked really cool and I lobbied UO for such a system.

We have elements of that now and I'm actually grateful for it. A rolling set of "stuff to do." It doesn't matter if I like it all, or if like it all equally, the point is that someone will.

So flash ahead to now. We have a variation on DAoC's cookie cutter system (yay!!!) with occasional more elaborate things just to keep it interesting (yay!!!) and EM events thrown in (DOUBLE YAY!!!).

So far so good....Except that the cookie cutter events don't seem to come as regularly, steadily, or often as what I thought DAoC had, and then there's New Legacy looming on the horizon...

You see, I favored the cookie cutter system because it seemed like a way for us to get steady streams of content with minimal problem at their end. It seemed like this was as good as we could get and I was totally fine....Until I saw what they were planning, and apparently have achieved already (based on the implications in the newsletters) at least in part, for New Legacy.

And then I realized that I was setting the bar too low. They're capable of more, they just choose to not do it. Yes, popular folks, I know that the current system isn't "broken." I just think they can do better by prioritizing shards they already have. Whether it counts as "broken" or not.

PS: Anyone who actually plays DAoC, please feel free to confirm or correct my perception of how they work it there.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,998
    Are we really still talking like NL  is happening? last we heard maybe ALPHA testing this year again and to make sure I'm communicating clearly SHOW ME @Kyronix @Mesanna
    So far so good....Except that the cookie cutter events don't seem to come as regularly, steadily, or often as what I thought DAoC had, and then there's New Legacy looming on the horizon...

You see, I favored the cookie cutter system because it seemed like a way for us to get steady streams of content with minimal problem at their end. It seemed like this was as good as we could get and I was totally fine....Until I saw what they were planning, and apparently have achieved already (based on the implications in the newsletters) at least in part, for New Legacy.

And then I realized that I was setting the bar too low. They're capable of more, they just choose to not do it. Yes, popular folks, I know that the current system isn't "broken." I just think they can do better by prioritizing shards they already have. Whether it counts as "broken" or not.

100% with ya on this. Obviously I'd prefer brand new events (like when Mag was blown up), I don't mind the notion of regular cookie cutter events. Keyword there is regular. IMO having 2-3 events a year isn't "regular".

I think you nailed it @JohnKnighthawke ; the bar was set too low (or maybe the bar is fine but the Dev team isn't hitting the bar). The idea was originally presented that "dynamic events would be far less work (all around) for the team which would allow for easier setup"  and they took the better part of a year to set this up with zero new content while they created this. From the start it was basically sold as they were switching to cookie cutter content creation with this tool but it also implied the trade off would be getting regular content to play given the tool allows for "much easier setup".

IMO we shouldn't go more than 2 months (let alone 3+) without some new dynamic cookie cutter content (and rewards). Perfect example is the current event with repeating rewards. It's similar to last year (which is fine) with all repeating rewards which isn't something I'm interested in but I'd be fine with if I knew we were getting another dynamic event in June with new rewards. The problem is that nobody knows if that will happen because their release schedule is sporadic. If we base it off last year then we will be waiting until October for the next dynamic content.

At this point it should be easy/simple enough to lockdown an actual roadmap of dynamic content, but the problem is that when you only put down 3 things for the entire year (which would include Krampus/Artisan fest) like we got last year it becomes very apparent we aren't getting regular dynamic content at all... it's actually semi-annually.