Best 1-slot pet?

What would be the best 1-slot pet trained to max skill/stats but still 1-slot, to use as a group of 5? 

Just looking at a list, I would think the 'blood fox' would be pretty good since it has wolf pact instinct, Grasping Claw and Bleed, and high base damage (16-21) according to uo-cah
Stone slith also has a few abilities but no pact instinct and a large range of base damage (6 - 24).
Lesser hiryu has a few abilities too but again no pact instinct, however, high base damage (18 - 23).

Anything I haven't considered? Or does anyone have experience?
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Wolf spiders can be pretty lethal.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited April 2023
    I don't think there are 1 slot Blood Foxes any more. And the ones that were 1 slot were nerfed to 2 slot I think.

Five Wolf Spiders took down the Invasion Captains pretty fast.

I always wished Raptors were 1 slot, they don't do anything special but 5 of them would be cool.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    How do you keep all 5 healed ? 
    What about the hungry coconut crab 
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    Pawain said:
    I don't think there are 1 slot Blood Foxes any more.

Five Wolf Spiders took down the Invasion Captains pretty fast.
    Aww, rats. Ok spiders it is then unless any other suggestions!
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Skett said:
    My other tamer put a tank pet on the Captains first.  Also you could use the As One ability to heal.

Captains didn't switch targets.  When the first dungeon event came out, we found that paragons switched targets and killed them fast. So I let mine go.
    @Skett ; The crabs would be cute, but no pack instincts. May as well use 5 goats.

Also they start at less than 20 stats so gaining stats and skills would be a pain.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2023
    Ty 

ya I been slooooooowly trying to train one 
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited April 2023
    Your best bet is to farm wolf spiders. Aim for as close to 165 Dex, 265 Str, 200 HP as you can get (in that order). Ideally over 160 dex and 260 str.

And if you can, run them with a necro tamer and keep the mob corpse skinned,
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:
    My other tamer put a tank pet on the Captains first.  Also you could use the As One ability to heal.

Captains didn't switch targets.  When the first dungeon event came out, we found that paragons switched targets and killed them fast. So I let mine go.

This is bad information. The mastery ability As One does not heal the pet, it merely splits the damage taken among all controlled pets and you have less to heal per pet, you still have to do the healing yourself though.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:

This is bad information. The mastery ability As One does not heal the pet, it merely splits the damage taken among all controlled pets and you have less to heal per pet, you still have to do the healing yourself though.
    Also as one only works with pets that use pack instinct 
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    Grimbeard said:
    Also as one only works with pets that use pack instinct 

I use a trained up wolf spider to tank allosaurus and then use the pet I want to actually pet train as the second pet. Through As One it get's half the damage and advances it's pet training. I have done so with giant beetles, crimson drakes etc. and it always worked. None of those have pack instict, especially not with wolf spiders.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Sorry Grimbeard, you are mistaken
    As One: allows pets to share damage while they are close to their master.
    @Max_Blackoak has the correct information.
    As one works well for training up a second pet, sharing the damage between two pets. The only problem is it takes an awful lot of mana, so difficult to maintain it.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Mariah said:
    Sorry Grimbeard, you are mistaken
    As One: allows pets to share damage while they are close to their master.
    @ Max_Blackoak has the correct information.
    As one works well for training up a second pet, sharing the damage between two pets. The only problem is it takes an awful lot of mana, so difficult to maintain it.

Interesting I'd never tried it because my mistaken belief!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2023
    “ I haven’t found a use for 
    As-one
    you’re using all that mana to split the damage between pets which helps you how exactly? Healing more pets is just harder work..
    generally once a mob hits one pet it will stay attacking that one, you put consume damage on that one pet. Less mana and it actually heals the pet.”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Training up a weaker pet, for example a 2 slot pet, paired with a 3 slot pet, the 3 slot tanks, the lesser pet, by sharing the damage, progresses through the training faster than if it was attacking but receiving no damage, and if the mob does switch, it's less likely to be a one hit kill if the stronger pet has absorbed some of the damage..
    edited May 2023
    Mariah said:
    Training up a weaker pet, for example a 2 slot pet, paired with a 3 slot pet, the 3 slot tanks, the lesser pet, by sharing the damage, progresses through the training faster than if it was attacking but receiving no damage, and if the mob does switch, it's less likely to be a one hit kill if the stronger pet has absorbed some of the damage..
    Yes this is what I meant by healing.  Also 3 low HP pets taking shared damage makes it possible (sometimes) to heal them.  Where without it, a single pet dies in 2 hits before you can cast heal.

Yoshi said:
    “ I haven’t found a use for 
    As-one
    you’re using all that mana to split the damage between pets which helps you how exactly? Healing more pets is just harder work..
    generally once a mob hits one pet it will stay attacking that one, you put consume damage on that one pet. Less mana and it actually heals the pet.”
    Yup thats why 5 Wolf Spiders in a Dynamic Dungeon does not work, even with As One.

They work on Mobs that do not change targets or hit real soft. 
  • ErwinErwin Posts: 1
    The real trick to As One though is having 1 tank pet and the rest dps pet(s). You don't have to invest much into hp as long as you max out resists as HP is very expensive. The split damage is post-resist (all pets take equal share of unresisted damage divided between them) So if your pet who is taking the hits has crappy resists like 35% resist then 200 damage * .65 = 130/5 (5x 1 slotter) = 26 damage to each spider (which yeah is hard to keep up with). On the other hand if you have a 2-slot pet with 80 resist act as tank, that would be 200 damage * .2 = 40/4 (1x 2 slotter + 3x 1-slotter) = 10 damage each, depending on how fast that damage comes in, Prov Bard will passively heal that much damage. Granted you lose 25% damage per pet from 1 less pack bonus plus the extra damage of the 5th pet so it's a pretty hefty hit to dps, but can greatly increase survivability. 320 DPS vs 500 DPS but the survivability can be worth it.

The other trick to As One is it's fantastic for training pets. They will gain 'XP' from taking As One damage the same as if they were taking direct damage. So a 2-slot Tank like a Triton can take the hits offering great mitigation before the damage is split. Tritons come with overcapped Energy Resist too which makes a 2 slot the perfect tank for Unbound EVs.

DPS wise there's nothing anywhere stronger at single target damage then a Tamer/Bard Running Prov Buffs with 5 Wolf Spiders. Just make sure you have backup who can res your pets if they die because there's no room for Vet on that build, as you have to run meditation and max mana regen in order to sustain bard buffs indefinitely.

The single biggest threat to wolf spiders is AOE damage. Anywhere AOE damage is dealt, don't take wolfies there you'll spend most of your time just rezzing pets. AOE damage is also the bane of As One
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/

Pets with Pack Instinct

• The Frenzied Ostard

The first ‘aggressive’ pet most tamers add to their stable and needing a single control slot, used in a pack their damage output through pack instinct is phenomenal. However controlling 5 creatures at once, and keeping them alive, is not a task for the faint hearted. A single frenzied is useful where you need to keep tight control on damage output, such as reducing a giant beetle to the ‘subdued’ state necessary to tame it.

• frenzied ostard, get five, max stats (uo-cah.com) train, bond, fell yew gate, all kill, hide. yw