Why new forums?

FreelsyFreelsy Posts: 70
We've had stratics for over 15  years. Why now create your own forums? Once again, we've split the community up. *shakes head

Comments

• ShandaraShandara Posts: 34
    Stratics was not really free speech and IMO kept forgetting we are the paying customers of UO and needed to be heard. I am glad to see a game with its own forums, once again,  that we can actually comment on game play instead of trolling and bullying. I really like playing on Siege and am still considering defecting from Great Lakes full time.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    I have nothing against Stratics, but having its own official forum is good for Ultima Online on a professional level. I support anything that helps UO join the 21st century, which raises the odds of its survival.

• Freelsy said:
    We've had stratics for over 15  years. Why now create your own forums? Once again, we've split the community up. *shakes head
    Ok Princess.
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • Many of us have been asking for a UO ran forums for years. I have been a huge advocate for one since the governor program started. The other site(whatever it was called) tended to make up rules and the staff could be harassing. Even coming to the shard you play on to continue... yep.. so Thanks again devs
  • Sir_Sir_ Posts: 1
    *raises his hand, finger to the air as if to interject*

Be weary of "free speech"... For the lands I come from have forsaken the virtues and created unholy mantras that advocate not only chaos, but vice. Avarice, jealousy, envy, greed, pride... Protect this new sanctuary from the venom of vipers and their silver forked tongues of wickedness - to those who would slay the serpents, I say to thee, tread lightly but carry a big stick.

*lowers his hand and slowly stokes his clay pipe*

(OOC: I've been a long time free shard player because I enjoy the old UO:R era many of them have offered in the past, but hear my words - trolls are infectious and if not contained and managed by staff, they'll turn the entire shard forums/disco/whatever into one giant toxic internet meme like you see everywhere else.. Protect and police your community while there is still hope! I wish Broadsword and the free-to-play movement the best!!!)
  • FreelsyFreelsy Posts: 70
    Freelsy said:
    Ok Princess.
    Your comment makes no sense :/
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    I havent felt comfortable posting much of anything (except simple sales threads) on stratics for a few years now.  Many are in the same position, so essentially didnt have a forum at all.  Not going to dig up old dirt, and wish them the best, but i think a fresh start, especially when many might be returning for endless journey is just what the game needs.  And every game has its official forum.   Stratics can do its thing.  Theres no harm in having another outlet for game disscussion.
  • BoBoBoBo Posts: 21
    ad revenue. 
  • I'm cool with keeping "official" forums and "community" forums separate. Should have always been that way in my opinion.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    WHY NOT?  The more information there is the better it is for the players and you do understand that there was already more than one forum before UO brought back the original UO Forum
  • AQHFAQHF Posts: 47
    edited March 2018
    Didn't UO used to have their own forums? I remember posting on a forum as AQHF in 1999 which I assume was the official one. Not sure when it stopped because I left UO until about 3 years ago. 
    AQHF said:
    Didn't UO used to have their own forums? I remember posting on a forum as AQHF in 1999 which I assume was the official one. Not sure when it stopped because I left UO until about 3 years ago. 
    YES they did.
    annnnnnd 6 months later I was correct. "Official" UO forums are dead.
    Freelsy said:
    You do understand that UO had forums before stratics, they just brought it back most likely because BS requires DAoC people to only use their forum.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Both Siege forums are also somewhat dead, or are we in denial about that too ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Both Siege forums are also somewhat dead, or are we in denial about that too ?

Oh yeah. The shard is dead as well. Some will come to defend it, but when there's only 10 or so unique characters talking... that's dead.
    On a good day Siege can get quite a few people logged in, I was talking about these forums, here and over on stratics. Siege talk has dwindled quite a bit, not sure of the reason. Reading the Siege Stratics forums was one of the big reasons I came to the shard. You guys were pretty vocal all of the time. Maybe everyone's hoarse from all of the screaming and hollering over the return of NEW :P 

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    So you blame the forums for a lack of posts and not the players themselves, priceless.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    Stratics is not a good place to post about pvp issues.  Whenever a valid post concerning pvp is created there, there is always a swarm of angry trammel players who come in to derail the thread.
    Bilbo said:
    So you blame the forums for a lack of posts and not the players themselves, priceless.
    Where did you get that I was blaming a forum for anything, and not the actual posters ? I'm absolutely blaming the community.

Bilbo said:
    Where did you get that I was blaming a forum for anything, and not the actual posters ? I'm absolutely blaming the community.
    If I was blaming you I would have quoted you which I did not, I am also blaming the community.
  • I predicted the future! >:)
    You said it would turn into an auction page ?  :p

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2019
    Next on the auction block: Victims soul. do i hear tree fitty?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo