Making a Skree to use for the upcoming Swamp Champ Spawn

PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
edited March 2023 in General Discussions
Since the Skree is in the spawn on test Center, it gave me an idea.
The spawn is on unlevel ground so your pet will constantly getting stuck on the hills.
So make a pet that does magic to shoot at the spawn on the hills.
The Skree comes with Mysticism and Magery.
This pet is not a high damager and will probably be great for the first levels. It can kill s few things other levels and get credit on the Boss.

I like to use things that fit an events theme. its a little Swamp Dragon.

I put the info and a sort of a Guide here:
https://community.stratics.com/threads/making-a-skree-for-the-spring-dynamic-spawn.428954/

The Skree does not have a lot of intensity points to use.  So you do not need to use any scrolls.
Just do not change the magic or it loses what it had.

This is what I call a disposable pocket pet:

Works great on Pirates and sea creatures also. Since it can shoot from a distance.
Its fun having a pet that shoots rocks out of its mouth and casts Flamestikes.

You can tame one now and increase the skills by next month.
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    Easy way to deal with pets and line of site issues:

"All Guard Me"
    Cast area effect spell.

--> pet will automatically attack and will be "smarter" about navigating to the targets.

p.s. use "Whisper" instead of "Say" when issuing pet commands.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Sounds great , but unless the tamer directs the pet to an exit spot once he goes up on the hill, the pet will never figure out how to get off the hill.

You cant even lead a pet past the 2 paladins in Luna sometimes.  they do not have a smarter navigation mode.
    You can usually repeat the process to bring the pet back out of the spot.  e.g. hit a fresh target in a new location with an area effect spell.  I find thunderstorm the best, as it casts very quickly and isn't so strict about line of site checks itself.

On the other hand, fixing this is a good bug report.

We know the UO server has better path finding ability, in at least two cases:
    1. The "All Guard me" aggressor version I call out here.
    2. The Paragon pathfinding "AI", which more aggressively tracks a target.

The UO server should be using the better path finding for common "All Kill" and "All Follow Me" commands.  At the very least, it should detect "no forward progress" in the current follow AI, and after a time, switch the approach.  heck, put a "smarter follow" AI gizmo that can be applied to a pet in the UO store.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Yup paragons follow you pretty good.

We will have to control the pets better if it is in unlevel terrain.  I tend to try to kill things with my toon in spawns so my pet will wander off while I am looking for other things.

Any tips that help us keep track of our pets is welcome. I hate when I am fighting the Boss with a group and notice my pet has wondered off trying to kill an imp on a hill 3 screens away.
    For single target, e.g. boss:

Use:
    All stop
    All guard me
    Hit boss with direct spell.

You can have all of that in a single macro (in EC anyway).

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Pawain said:
    Sounds great , but unless the tamer directs the pet to an exit spot once he goes up on the hill, the pet will never figure out how to get off the hill.

You cant even lead a pet past the 2 paladins in Luna sometimes.  they do not have a smarter navigation mode.

Try this, carry an insured rune. Mark the rune at the base of the hill, walk 2 paces away, cast gate on the rune.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “ or use the come command,
    also pet will pathfind off if you or it attacks a creature off the hill while guarding”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Mariah said:
    Pawain said:

Try this, carry an insured rune. Mark the rune at the base of the hill, walk 2 paces away, cast gate on the rune.
    I thought during these Dynamic Champ Spawns
    that you can't recall into that area during the active spawn.
    you have to run outside of the area for that.

during the first one on Fire Island
    we would mark runes on those hills
    but you couldn't recall in during the active spawn
    that is how we knew that the spawn had started again
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    oh of course! Sorry Cinderella, I obviously wasn't thinking.