Clarification needed on the Smuggler's Edge...

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited January 2019 in General Discussions
My understanding is, that this item purchaseable in the Store provides a Bonus when stealing from NPCs...

Question is, does one HAVE TO attack (hit) the NPC with the Smuggler's Edge in order to actually perform the stealing or is it only necessary to hold it in one's hand and perform the "steal" action on that NPC ?

That is, I am trying to understand whether or not an "attack" against the NPC has or not to be carried out with the Smuggler's Edge in order to "steal" something from the NPC...

Personally, I think that if the Smuggler's Edge provides a bonus in "stealing" then, it should be possible to make the steal WITHOUT necessarily have to hit the NPC with the edge but only holding it in one's own hand...

Especially, considering how a pure thief Template needs to invest HEAVILY on skills not leaving any room to combat skills or anything else pretty much....

Infact,
100 hiding
120 stealth
100 detect hidden
100 lock picking
100 remove trap
120 stealing 
100 snooping 

Make it for a total of 740 skill points leaving no room for any combat skills...
That's why, to my viewing, the Smuggler's Edge SHOULD be possible to be used for a stealing bonus  WITHOUT having to actually attack and hit the NPC....

Without combat skills it would be quite hard to have any effectiveness in that attack, I would imagine.....

Anyways, anyone who has used it can please comment on how this particular item exactly works ?

Thanks !

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    This page describes how the item works: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/smugglers-edge/

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Here's what I've done with smuggler's edge:

and here's the not-quite-complete template I've used to do it (ignore lockpick, it's going down)

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Here's what I've done with smuggler's edge:

and here's the not-quite-complete template I've used to do it (ignore lockpick, it's going down)

Frorm the answer and the Template I gather that, in order to use the Smuggler's Edge combat is a must ?

If so, that's unfortunate, I was hoping that holding in hand would be enough to get a bonus at stealing from Monsters...

So, "while" engaged into combat using the Smuggler's Edge with the Monster the character is supposed to "also" perform the stealing ?

It works Combat+Stealing as a combo ?

Stealing while holding the Smuggler's Edge in hand alone would NOT grant the stealing bonus from this item ?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Is there any chance that you'll just create a thread that says Hi, I'm Popps and here are my questions ? I don't mind helping you with what knowledge I have, but the amount of individual threads you're creating is getting silly.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited January 2019
    You don't use the stealing skill, the smuggler's edge uses it as you fight, the page Mariah linked to gives the formula for that - but if you don't want the pretty lanterns and smuggler's toolkits you can get the potions quite easily just by stealing - my youtube channel has a video demonstrating stealing that way.
    edited January 2019
    Is there any chance that you'll just create a thread that says Hi, I'm Popps and here are my questions ? I don't mind helping you with what knowledge I have, but the amount of individual threads you're creating is getting silly.
    Well, Hi !

I am popps and I am happy to see again fellow players who enjoy playing Ultima Online !!

The thing is that trying to "catch up" is intimidating....

While I have been reading a lot, the problem is that with the stuff having been around one never knows whether what is being read is "up to date" or obsolete because of changes happened after is was written...

And therefore, come the questions....

Sorry about it if they sounded annoying, it was not my intention.
    This link is up to date https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/

edited January 2019
    You don't use the stealing skill, the smuggler's edge uses it as you fight, the page Mariah linked to gives the formula for that - but if you don't want the pretty lanterns and smuggler's toolkits you can get the potions quite easily just by stealing - my youtube channel has a video demonstrating stealing that way.

Hold it.

You mean that the items which the Smuggler's Edge can steal from NPCs are "selected" and only those ?

Like the lanterns, the toolkits etc. ?

The reason that I am asking, is that, as I understand it, stealing from Monsters can provide a number of items "other" then those you indicated....

http://www.uoguide.com/Monster_Stealables

Not to mention, that, as I remember, the Exodus keys can also be stolen from the Exodus Zealots.....

The Smuggler's Edge gives no bonus for all those items stealable from Monsters and for the Exodus keys that are stealable from Exodus Zealots ?

It is only good for the Lanterns and Smuggler's Toolkit ?

That is why I was asking about the necessity to attack in order to use the Smuggler's Edge or not, because for a "pure" Rogue, having :

100 hiding
    120 stealth
    100 detect hidden
    100 lock picking
    100 remove trap
    120 stealing 
    100 snooping

With a total of 740 points, 20 points over the max CAP, leave little to no room for "also" combat skills.....
    it will steal the potions and balms, as well as it's own specials. It's not really meant for thieves I don't think, as I couldn't get anything with it till I put swords in her template. For stealing in Exodus I use my regular thief, similar to yours but without remove trap.  I have some magery instead.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Sorry about the necro thread here !

so can someone clarify that the lanterns can only be stolen in fel ?

here is both wiki i have read 

thank you

no, lanterns should be stolen as described in the page Stealing from monsters, champ spawns in all facets.

Thank you for the clarification !
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited February 2023
    deleted

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "you realise you're quoting and shouting at someone for a post they made 4 years ago..."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited February 2023
    deleted. Thanks Yoshi for comment
    is there a list of these colors ? im assuming it starts at 202 ?

"Smuggler’s Lantern:  
    A lantern with spell channeling available in 100 colors"
    201 -  300, here's what I have so far, not quite the full set, but I add to it now and then when I'm in the mood.

• RayRay Posts: 1

Hue 201 to 300
    Thank You Very Much Everyone !