Lava fishing pole over 20% failure rate

That’s with 120 fishing & over 900 luck. This is patently ridiculous for such a hard to obtain/expensive item. That was just the first 10 casts btw. After that we gave up.

The pole was a much longed for holiday gift. The pleasure has now been ruined.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited December 2022
    "I'm not sure skill helps with this, or luck, i remember succesfully fishing up a searing weapon using it without fishing skill"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    You expected to get items in just 10 casts? It does not have charges so common sense tells you it is not meant for instant gratification. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,083
    edited December 2022
    Pawain said:
    You expected to get items in just 10 casts? It does not have charges so common sense tells you it is not meant for instant gratification. 
    If we are talking about applying a lava proof hook to a pole (making it a "lava fishing pole") then I believe it does have charges... 50 charges for a "new" hook. 

https://www.uoguide.com/Lava_Proof_Hook ;

20% failure rate really isn't that bad if you put it in terms of a 50 use pole. That means that 40 casts will pull something. 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    The lava fishing poles have 50 uses also. After they are used up, it turns into a regular npc bought fishing pole.
  • First of all, that was just on the first 10 casts. The failure rate will likely be much higher. The previous pole also brought up a lot of junk. Someone on Stratics posted that she used 3 poles and got nothing. This is supposed to be a reward item—any item with a failure rate of 20%-100% does not meet my criteria for a reward item.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,083
    Miretar said:
    First of all, that was just on the first 10 casts. The failure rate will likely be much higher. The previous pole also brought up a lot of junk. Someone on Stratics posted that she used 3 poles and got nothing. This is supposed to be a reward item—any item with a failure rate of 20%-100% does not meet my criteria for a reward item.
    Meh. Just to summarize this thread... you complained about the failure rate after just using it 10 times (who knows maybe you hit an unlucky streak and it's really closer to 10% failure) and you are taking the word of just one other person that said they didn't pull up anything with 3 poles (without getting any other details of why) as 100% truth? Is that right?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    They actually misread the post. That person used hooks.

Marge said:
    The lava fishing poles have 50 uses also. After they are used up, it turns into a regular npc bought fishing pole.
    I don't fish but looked it up and the only picture I saw had no charges. 

Apparently  the poles have been replaced by hooks?

All I know is I have a lot of the stepping stones, so they work for some fisher people. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    The pole does not show uses but after 50 casts, it turns into a plain pole. The lava poles are the original reward, then after some publish (to early for research) it became a hook. It has the same odds of pulling up stuff as the hook does. They work exactly the same. I was curious myself and tried a few. 
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    edited December 2022
    Too early for research?

Quote from publish 71 notes:

New Rewards for the fishing Quest
    Lava Proof Hook: This is replacing the lava fishing pole and has the same effect, the main difference is that hooks are stack-able.

Also, this publish happened in 2011.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]