Events are pretty much for Samps and Archers

I get kinda bummed when I see everyone saying they are getting 8-15 drops and hours on samps and archers. I have always played a tamer and its just not viable anymore . By the time all kill comes up a swarm of samps or archers have it dead. I wish there was a way to even it out a bit for us old school tamers.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I've earned 38 using a cu with my sdi tamer on cats another 50 on Origin with my disco tamer and a rc fire beetle
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    You need to cast.  Having weaving and riding your pet around you can thunderstorm things before the Sampires can hit them.

Thunderstorm can get the things in walls and the room where mobs are stuck in planters. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    McDougle said:
    I've earned 38 using a cu with my sdi tamer on cats another 50 on Origin with my disco tamer and a rc fire beetle
    Good disco tamer with rc beetle, as PlayerSkillFTW has recommended.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    dara said:
    I get kinda bummed when I see everyone saying they are getting 8-15 drops and hours on samps and archers. I have always played a tamer and its just not viable anymore . By the time all kill comes up a swarm of samps or archers have it dead. I wish there was a way to even it out a bit for us old school tamers.
    I entirely sympathize with you....

I also enjoyed playing a Tamer but, unfortunately, even though I tried quite hard to ask to Developers such as @Kyronix to introduce Design changes so that Tamers would not be so much disadvantaged at these ToT Events as compared to Warriors (dexers), I was told that some Events required certain Templates to do better.....

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/60800/#Comment_60800

Personally, I cannot find myself in agreement with the idea that certain Templates work better, and often much better for some content such as Dexers, for example, because this greatly reduces diversity in players' gameplay....

Of course that most players will then want to play with Dexers, most always, when such a Template outdoes, as I seem to understand that you have find out and lament in your OP, Tamers, for example.....

And infact, Dexers is what we mostly see at these ToT Events....

This kills gameplay diversity, to my opinion, and it is not right since it forces players not to play those other Templates which they more enjoy to play, to favour those templates which do better...

And infact, even though reluctantly, because I much more prefer to play a Tamer, I had to  make a Dexer and play with a Dexer at these Events, instead....

I wished, instead, that the Developers actually "buffed" Tamers' gameplay at these ToT Events so as to make them being viable and perfectly competitive versus Dexers....

And the one way which the Developers could reach such a balance, could be coding drops chances to be different for different Templates.... that is, not just depending on kills' rate which dexers can kill much faster as compared to tamers, but also increased for those templates having taming skills as compared to those templates having dexers skills....

By introducing such a character's "skill factor" in determining the Artifacts drop rate, then, also other templates could be used and enjoyed by players in these ToT Events such as Rogues, Bards, Spellcasters etc. etc. because, even if their kills rate was much much less as that od Dexers, their ToT Artifacts drop rate would be increased thus, bringing them "on par" with Dexers anyways....

The result of this, would be again "diversity" of teplates at these ToT Events because players would then play with the Template which they enjoy, and not necessarily always with a Dexer because it "gets the job done better and faster".....

@Kyronix , how about introducing a diversification of the ToT Artifacts drop rate based also on what skill or skills that Template is using ?
    edited October 2022
    @popps why do you completely ignore my reply?? I gave two Tamer build more than capable of keeping up with sampires. Keep in mind i also do the event and earn all their rewards on my fishermen. Don't get me wrong the egg concept was good and I'd love high seas. But your assertion that samps are king is just wrong 
    McDougle said:
    @ popps why do you completely ignore my reply?? I gave two Tamer build more than capable of keeping up with sampires. Keep in mind i also do the event and earn all their rewards on my fishermen. Don't get me wrong the egg concept was good and I'd love high seas. But your assertion that samps are king is just wrong 
    While Tamers can kill creatures in ToT Dungeons, I am highly sceptical that they can achieve it, even with your build, as fast as Dexers.

Hence, as long as rate of kills will pretty much be "the" main factor in ToT Artifacts drops rate, Tamers, and other Templates even more then tamers, will always get the very much short end of the stick as compared to using Dexers...

And this, is largely demostrated by the massive presence of Dexers at these ToT Events as compared to other templates.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    popps said:
    dara said:

I also enjoyed playing a Tamer but, unfortunately, even though I tried quite hard to ask to Developers such as @ Kyronix to introduce Design changes so that Tamers would not be so much disadvantaged at these ToT Events as compared to Warriors (dexers), I was told that some Events required certain Templates to do better.....

Personally, I cannot find myself in agreement with the idea that certain Templates work better, and often much better for some content such as Dexers, for example, because this greatly reduces diversity in players' gameplay....

Of course that most players will then want to play with Dexers, most always, when such a Template outdoes, as I seem to understand that you have find out and lament in your OP, Tamers, for example.....

This kills gameplay diversity, to my opinion, and it is not right since it forces players not to play those other Templates which they more enjoy to play, to favour those templates which do better...

And infact, even though reluctantly, because I much more prefer to play a Tamer, I had to  make a Dexer and play with a Dexer at these Events, instead....

I wished, instead, that the Developers actually "buffed" Tamers' gameplay at these ToT Events so as to make them being viable and perfectly competitive versus Dexers....

And the one way which the Developers could reach such a balance, could be coding drops chances to be different for different Templates.... that is, not just depending on kills' rate which dexers can kill much faster as compared to tamers, but also increased for those templates having taming skills as compared to those templates having dexers skills....

By introducing such a character's "skill factor" in determining the Artifacts drop rate, then, also other templates could be used and enjoyed by players in these ToT Events such as Rogues, Bards, Spellcasters etc. etc. because, even if their kills rate was much much less as that od Dexers, their ToT Artifacts drop rate would be increased thus, bringing them "on par" with Dexers anyways....

The result of this, would be again "diversity" of teplates at these ToT Events because players would then play with the Template which they enjoy, and not necessarily always with a Dexer because it "gets the job done better and faster".....

@ Kyronix , how about introducing a diversification of the ToT Artifacts drop rate based also on what skill or skills that Template is using ?
    My bard tamer with discord and running peace masteries kills fast and I rarely ever die... Hit a quick area peace if I get in trouble..I can target and kill just as fast as anyone plus as a tamer I can wear lots of luck items since I don't worry about taking much damage.
     Yes a Mele char is quicker and it should be since your right in the battle taking damage.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    edited October 2022
    Content shouldn't be dumbed down so a handful of less effective templates can get an equal amount of drops.  

By all means, it's a shame there isn't a better opportunity for tamers in some of these ToT events.  Melee fighters and ranged fighters definitely have an advantage.  However, the other side of the coin is that there is content like the Shadowguard encounters, where Tamers have an advantage.  (To be clear, that's not to say sampires/archers/throwers can't do Shadowguard... but not quite with the ease that a tamer can. )   Point being... that's the give and take of UO, different templates will have different advantages/disadvantages from adventure to adventure, which was indicative of Kyronix's reply to you.   
    edited October 2022
    Merlin said:
    Content shouldn't be dumbed down so a handful of less effective templates can get an equal amount of drops.  

By all means, it's a shame there isn't a better opportunity for tamers in some of these ToT events.  Melee fighters and ranged fighters definitely have an advantage.  However, the other side of the coin is that there is content like the Shadowguard encounters, where Tamers have an advantage.  (To be clear, that's not to say sampires/archers/throwers can't do Shadowguard... but not quite with the ease that a tamer can. )   Point being... that's the give and take of UO, different templates will have different advantages/disadvantages from adventure to adventure, which was indicative of Kyronix's reply to you.   

It would not be "dumbing it down", to my opinion but, rather, balancing it among different Templates with a different ability to kill.

Why shouldn't players be able to enjoy the ToT Events using the type of Template that they most enjoy plaing with, rather then always ending up using the template "that works" ?

By increasing the drop rate for skills with a lower ability to kill "as fast" as dexers, so as to help out players in their choice of "which" Template they may want to use for these ToT Events, I think that Ultima Online would gain, not loose, because diversity of Templates would increase and, most importantly, players would be enjoying playing with the Template which they most enjoy to play with, and not those which are most effective....

The problem with "Timed" Events like the ToT Events, is that they have a start and an end date.... contrary to permanent content like Shadowguardwhich you mentioned.

Therefore, using a Template which can maximize drop rate for a timed event like the ToT Events, is fundamental because, otherwise, players risk missing out some of the Rewards which they might be interested in.

So, balancing out ToT Artifact drops rates across different Templates with different skills becomes even moreso fundamental for timed Events like the ToT Events are where players, because the Event will end at some point, would want to try to maximize their drops rate....
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    edited October 2022
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

It would not be "dumbing it down", to my opinion but, rather, balancing it among different Templates with a different ability to kill.

Why shouldn't players be able to enjoy the ToT Events using the type of Template that they most enjoy plaing with, rather then always ending up using the template "that works" ?

By increasing the drop rate for skills with a lower ability to kill "as fast" as dexers, so as to help out players in their choice of "which" Template they may want to use for these ToT Events, I think that Ultima Online would gain, not loose, because diversity of Templates would increase and, most importantly, players would be enjoying playing with the Template which they most enjoy to play with, and not those which are most effective....
    So I should be able to take my Smith/Tailor/Tinker/Carpenter/Fletcher there and get drops like a Samp does.  They would have to reduce all the damage taken to go with my Skills/Suit/Weapon or I would last about 5 seconds.  Stupid.  Play what you want and accept what you get, if you want more than play the temp that gets more and stop whining for easy mode.  I like play a Tamer or a Pure Paladin and I expect to get the drops that they normally get, I do not expect UO to cater to me.  If I want better than I should make a temp that gets better.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

No one is stopping you from enjoying the ToT events on whatever template you want, that’s hogwash.  Expecting every template to be equal in every encounter it’s equally hogwash.  There will always be ways to optimize skills/templates/equipment for encounters, as it should be.  You are free to play as you wish… in the game, as in life, not everyone will get the same reward.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    Try a different set of skills. I changed my weaver mage into a mystic mage and I am getting 5 to 6 drops an hour without any luck or potion.
    edited October 2022
    Also consider that the spawn has been made more difficult in the past 48 hours.   There are now trains of tougher paragons out and about around the dungeon because single players cannot necessarily defeat them all by themselves.  This is where teamwork comes into play and having multiple types of templates helps (i.e., sampire, archer, SW tamer) is crucial to success.  Lots of times the only way those trains are defeated are when a group consciously works together to defeat them.  

Additionally, while I can understand that it might be tough to be a tamer and fight mobs before Sampires/Archers can get to them on Atlantic.  I have to imagine some of the non-Atlantic shards where the dungeon is not quite as populated would lend itself to having a tamer camp out in a room and be able to have free rein on anything that spawns without a train of sampires coming through and gobbling at all up. 
    Merlin said:
    Also consider that the spawn has been made more difficult in the past 48 hours.   There are now trains of tougher paragons out and about around the dungeon because single players cannot necessarily defeat them all by themselves.  This is where teamwork comes into play and having multiple types of templates helps (i.e., sampire, archer, SW tamer) is crucial to success.  Lots of times the only way those trains are defeated are when a group consciously works together to defeat them.  

Also, while I can understand that it might be tough to be a tamer and fight mobs before Sampires/Archers can get to them on Atlantic.  I have to imagine some of the non-Atlantic shards where the dungeon is not quite as populated would lend itself to having a tamer camp out in a room and be able to have free rein on anything that spawns without a train of sampires coming through and gobbling at all up. 
    My sdi tamer can clear a room of normal spawn before a sampire gets through doorway. Also i think in people's mind any fighter on a armored swampy using ww attack is a sampire and that's not the case 
    edited October 2022
    McDougle said:
    Merlin said:

Additionally, while I can understand that it might be tough to be a tamer and fight mobs before Sampires/Archers can get to them on Atlantic.  I have to imagine some of the non-Atlantic shards where the dungeon is not quite as populated would lend itself to having a tamer camp out in a room and be able to have free rein on anything that spawns without a train of sampires coming through and gobbling at all up. 
    My sdi tamer can clear a room of normal spawn before a sampire gets through doorway. Also i think in people's mind any fighter on a armored swampy using ww attack is a sampire and that's not the case 
    That's a relevant point.  Player skill can make up a significant amount of difference.  A good tamer will likely beat out a crumby sampire in terms of number of spawn killed, albeit it may take a little more work targeting, etc. 
    Merlin said:
    McDougle said:
    Merlin said:

That's a relevant point.  Player skill can make up a significant amount of difference.  A good tamer will likely beat out a crumby sampire in terms of number of spawn killed, albeit it may take a little more work targeting, etc. 
    Meteor swarm with undead slayer 200 sdi sometimes i just have my pet guard me and do all the work 
    edited October 2022
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

So I should be able to take my Smith/Tailor/Tinker/Carpenter/Fletcher there and get drops like a Samp does.  They would have to reduce all the damage taken to go with my Skills/Suit/Weapon or I would last about 5 seconds.  Stupid.  Play what you want and accept what you get, if you want more than play the temp that gets more and stop whining for easy mode.  I like play a Tamer or a Pure Paladin and I expect to get the drops that they normally get, I do not expect UO to cater to me.  If I want better than I should make a temp that gets better.
    Perhaps not a crafter..... but certainly, other templates like Tamers, Bards, Rogues, Spellcasters who cannot even dream of getting even remotedly close to the kill rate of dexers..... those yes.....

For these templates, adjusting the ToT Artifacts drop rates to the skills being used, would make them viable for these Events on par with Dexers thus permitting players to use the type of template which they enjoy playing without being at a gross loss as far as ToT Artifacts drops go.....

I like play a Tamer or a Pure Paladin and I expect to get the drops that they normally get, I do not expect UO to cater to me.  If I want better than I should make a temp that gets better.

Sorry, but for limited time Events that have a start and an end, as a player, and paying customer, I do expect UO to cater to templates other then Dexers making them also viable for all those players who enjoy playing with them without then losing in terms of ToT Artifacts drops that they can get, before the Event ends....
    edited October 2022
    popps said:
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

Perhaps not a crafter..... but certainly, other templates like Tamers, Bards, Rogues, Spellcasters who cannot even dream of getting even remotedly close to the kill rate of dexers..... those yes.....

For these templates, adjusting the ToT Artifacts drop rates to the skills being used, would make them viable for these Events on par with Dexers thus permitting players to use the type of template which they enjoy playing without being at a gross loss as far as ToT Artifacts drops go.....
    So you just ignore people telling you to use area spells like thunderstorm? You can kill all the skeles and damage everything else before a melee toon gets to them. Carry an undead book. Ride your pet. You only need your pet for paragons, which you can run by and kill everything  on a new floor.
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

No one is stopping you from enjoying the ToT events on whatever template you want, that’s hogwash.  Expecting every template to be equal in every encounter it’s equally hogwash.  There will always be ways to optimize skills/templates/equipment for encounters, as it should be.  You are free to play as you wish… in the game, as in life, not everyone will get the same reward.
    Of course it does stop players from enjoying playing with the Templayes which they would enjoy playing with !

They are LIMITED time Events that have an end.

This means, that players need to maximize their drops before the Event ends otherwise, they may seriously risk missing out on items which they might want.

Did you notice how Dexers are, and by far, the most used template by players during these ToT Events ?

Perhaps, just perhaps, this might hint that most players recognize that using Dexers, given their current Design, might be the best way to secure the items that players might want, before the Event ends ?

And this, because other templates are not even remotedly close to the drops rates which Dexers can yield ?

Just perhaps ?
    TimSt said:
    Try a different set of skills. I changed my weaver mage into a mystic mage and I am getting 5 to 6 drops an hour without any luck or potion.
    If you have a Dexer, try using one.... you will enjoy twice or thrice that drop rate, if not even more...
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2022
    “(slayer spellbook doesn’t work for thunderstorm)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited October 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “(slayer spellbook doesn’t work for thunderstorm)”
    For the mage fire spells, Thuderstorm kills the bone knights and below. It wounds the rest enough to get credit. when the Sampire cleans up.  That assumes he knows to get a 6 Focus and have high SDI.

Run into the Ram room right behind a Sampire so all the aggro goes to him and spam Thunderstorm or meteor swarm.  You can run in and fall off the ledge to get there faster.
    Both of you get credit for stuff.
  • popps said:
    dara said:

I also enjoyed playing a Tamer but, unfortunately, even though I tried quite hard to ask to Developers such as @ Kyronix to introduce Design changes so that Tamers would not be so much disadvantaged at these ToT Events as compared to Warriors (dexers), I was told that some Events required certain Templates to do better.....

@ Kyronix , how about introducing a diversification of the ToT Artifacts drop rate based also on what skill or skills that Template is using ?
    I dunno, my sampire is pretty crap at fishing. 7 chars per acct for a reason Popps, its not  one template fits all for a reason

stop crying and move on
    you have a sampire, guessing its crap. but this event only lasts a short while

GET OVER IT ONCE AND FOR ALL

this game will not change to suit you
    edited October 2022
    Yoshi said:

Never mind, there is no teaching someone that says something like this:

One would imagine that then, if they had the Max Luck possible, (3,982 ?), they should get a drop (100% chance) each and every 1 creature that they kill, whether it is a slime or a Paragon Balron...
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    popps said:
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Merlin said:

Of course it does stop players from enjoying playing with the Templayes which they would enjoy playing with !

They are LIMITED time Events that have an end.

This means, that players need to maximize their drops before the Event ends otherwise, they may seriously risk missing out on items which they might want.

Did you notice how Dexers are, and by far, the most used template by players during these ToT Events ?

Perhaps, just perhaps, this might hint that most players recognize that using Dexers, given their current Design, might be the best way to secure the items that players might want, before the Event ends ?

And this, because other templates are not even remotedly close to the drops rates which Dexers can yield ?

Just perhaps ?
    No, players don’t NEED to maximize their drops, that is a CHOICE… just like template is a CHOICE.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    popps said:
    TimSt said:
    If you have a Dexer, try using one.... you will enjoy twice or thrice that drop rate, if not even more...
    How about you try and report your findings if you think dexers so powerful... Try for a hour but I think your gameplay is all kill and invis and run from paragons 
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    who cares really? the rewards absolutely suck for this event....

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited October 2022
    My necro mage with spellweaving gets about four to six drops an hour.  With poison elemental, fire elemental, undead and snake slayers he can handle most anything in there except the para rams and executioners.  They have just too many hit points.  If he has room to run he can handle the other paras.  He does quite well working with other players on the big stuff.  What is frustrating though is when it gets really busy the auto targeting just fails.  It does not target anything nearby or even on the same floor sometimes.  There are not any mobiles I can actually target.  They are all jumbled up and moving.  So I use the cursor to target things which sometimes takes forever.  If the auto targeting worked I could kill a lot more.  Know the macro is ok.  It works perfectly if it’s just me and four or five targets.  When the going gets hot, it just disappears sometimes targeting stuff 4 or 5 hundred squares away if it targets anything at all.  I use EC.
    edited October 2022
    Arnold7 said:
    My necro mage with spellweaving gets about four to six drops an hour.  With poison elemental, fire elemental, undead and snake slayers he can handle most anything in there except the para rams.  They have just too many hit points.  If he has room to run he can handle the other paras.  He does quite well working with other players on the big stuff.  What is frustrating though is when it gets really busy the auto targeting just fails.  It does not target anything nearby or even on the same floor sometimes.  There are not any mobiles I can actually target.  They are all jumbled up and moving.  So I use the cursor to target things which sometimes takes forever.  If the auto targeting worked I could kill a lot more.  Know the macro is ok.  It works perfectly if it’s just me and four or five targets.  When the going gets hot, it just disappears sometimes targeting stuff 4 or 5 hundred squares away if it targets anything at all.
    With Chain lightning and meteor swarm you can target the ground near a target and it casts.

Use Thunderstorm it needs no target and goes thru walls.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    @popps has got to be the only person that I know of that would want a ditch digger performing brain surgery because you know everything has to be balanced.  GOD give me strength.