The Value of a Valorite Runic Hammer

13»

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Valorite hammer use depends on how far into the end-game you want to go. Since obtaining Val hammers is not nearly as difficult as it used to be, thanks to the BoD rework, you can just keep getting hammers to make the armor and weapons you want, knowing you're going to have to make new armor/weapons shortly. It's a cyclic system. 

I'm not saying people should do this, I'm saying it's a possibility, you can. Generating hammers for these types of weapons and amor is probably not realistic gameplay for many, but it can be for some.

--
    Using a val hammer you can easily get 7 mod weapons that can still be enhanced. (These are on TC as a demonstration only. I wouldn't actually use these on Pac.)

I chose vampiric and vitality here, but you could choose vampiric and something else to bump your leeches to 2x100 easily, or maybe 3x100 with a bit of work, or a hit spell effect, etc. You might even get a bit of ele damage with a 2x100 leech and could still enhance.

Yes, they cannot be repaired, so you're not going to be using them for that long. However, I can generate all the val hammers I need (thanks BoD's!) to make the weapons I need. Armor can be a better choice (and easier to craft), since it wears so much less (and has better enhance opportunities). Especially for non-melee characters.

All said, a 7 mod weapon with 2x100 leech is not that hard to acquire, since you can just run BoD's to generate the val hammers needed to craft such weapons.

Sure, for PvM farming, I wouldn't use a 7 mod, but for boss fights where I can get 100 boss kills or something before needing a new weapon, yeah, it's something to consider. (It's something I consider, although I run gear slightly lower than this.)
    Sweet weapons but how many sampires you see with them?? Exactly 100 elemental damage specific slayers etc once again crafted with lessor runic 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Some players have Chivalry and do not need 100% elemental weapons.  There are many variations of Sampires. The Sampire part is just 1 skill at 99.  There are 620+ other points to make a template from.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2022
    McDougle said:
    Sweet weapons but how many sampires you see with them?? Exactly 100 elemental damage specific slayers etc once again crafted with lessor runic 
    They are ok. I was just creating those on TC as an example.

I think most Sampires use 100% Ele specific slayers because that is a well-known and established build, and it works very well against many things. It's also a fairly low investment to build, hammer wise, and the weapons basically last forever. If a Sampire wanted even more space on their template, a val hammer weapon might open that up, but would need to be replaced frequently.

My point was that it is not that hard to make those types of weapons, since Val hammers add so much intensity. However, to really hit the high end, you're going to need to use "Cannot be repaired" during reforging, which means you're going to be cycling through weapons consistently. Although, that does give a template even more "power creep".
    -Arroth
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Its just become so specialized come next dungeon everyone will craft new specific slayers godlike weapons just sit at home 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    Its just become so specialized come next dungeon everyone will craft new specific slayers godlike weapons just sit at home 
    I can agree with this.  I make things that I need. I do not see a runic or any item in UO and think, "what can I sell this for". If it is a runic, I make something that I want, if it is deco, I lock it down, If it is a pet, I kill stuff with it.

The Hit Fatigue on a weapon is something I may try someday.
  • ValeriaValeria Posts: 97
    Anybody got experiences to share with heartwood Runic fletchers kits? 
    edited August 2022
    McDougle said:
    Well, you can reforge Slayer with Valorite hammers, so that is something to shoot for!

The 5 below were crafted with just Vampiric, opening the second set of (up to) 3 properties to be, basically, anything in the reforge options. 

Anyway, this was just me messing around on TC to see what would happen if I used a Val hammer with only one name selected. Looks like the system will spawn at least 3 properties from the selected name group and then anything else from the reforging library.

I'd use that top left one on Pac though, if anyone wants to put one in my mailbox...just saying.
    -Arroth
    edited August 2022
    Yup they can give you more things than you want.  When trying to make a 100% elemental you can get some property you did not want.

If you get self repair, that goes away when you imbue.  But lower requirements sux to get.

Thats why I pick 2 categories so I Limit what categories it picks from.  But, you never know, it might choose a pleasant surprise for you.  I buy elemental weapons so I don't have to stress over that. I have even given another player hammers to make elementals for me so I don't see the results.

Looks like hit fatigue comes up often.  You are tempting me to try to make a few weapons.  I hate making them on TC because I know if I hit a winner, ill never repeat it on the live shard. :D
    Well, if you're choosing Vampiric, you only have 5 properties in that name group (if you're not using a weapon with the Bleed special move): 

Life Leech
    Mana Leech
    Stamina Leech
    Hit Fatigue
    Hit Mana Drain

With a Val hammer you are likely to see at least three each roll. Fatigue, and the others, all show up a lot. I've seen a number of swords with all 5. It is not hard to get 100 Life Leech, 100 Mana Leech and 1 or 2 other good, high intensity, properties. It's getting the last two properties to roll out nicely that is difficult. Knowing you'll need another weapon in short order makes it easy not to get attached though!

As you said, when you add the second name things get messy. Especially with Exquisite/of Quality when trying for elemental damage. If it rolls ele damage, it's almost always 70/30, so you could still enhance, but it would take a lot of rolls to come up ele damage/slayer (or ele damage and all 5 from vampiric) and not lower req or mage wep as the other properties. Only the most min/max of players would burn that many hammers and enhance for a weapon that cannot be repaired.   
    -Arroth
    More tempting.  The only bad thing is the mana Drain.  

I'm more interested in rolling a high Hit Fatigue.  Ill be putting it on a War Hammer.  You can imbue 93 Mana and Life leech on those so 100 is not that much more.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    Altho fatigue is king, mana drain has its PvM uses. Monsters need mana not only for casting but for special moves. Mana drain causes Dreadhorn to switch from flamestrikes to fireballs faster then normal. When I was farming him it took abt ~7mins per kill. W/o mana drain flamestrikes lasted abt ~4.5mins With mana drain flamestrikes switched to fireballs in ~2.5mins. His curse is brutal so stopping a huge chunk of his dmg faster is pretty nice. Could give other examples but Dreadhorn was who I tested mana drain on & timed him.

If your not using fatigue & possibly mana drain(where applicable) in PvM your making things tuffer then needed.
    Acid_Rain said:
    Altho fatigue is king, mana drain has its PvM uses. Monsters need mana not only for casting but for special moves. Mana drain causes Dreadhorn to switch from flamestrikes to fireballs faster then normal. When I was farming him it took abt ~7mins per kill. W/o mana drain flamestrikes lasted abt ~4.5mins With mana drain flamestrikes switched to fireballs in ~2.5mins. His curse is brutal so stopping a huge chunk of his dmg faster is pretty nice. Could give other examples but Dreadhorn was who I tested mana drain on & timed him.

If your not using fatigue & possibly mana drain(where applicable) in PvM your making things tuffer then needed.
    Kinda wonder if you whop the crazed mage with mana drain it would cast fewer spells so it would be easier to train an unbonded 1 slot pet.

Good info.  Between you and PlayerSkill  maybe more players will make these weapons. 
    I tried making 20 on Test Center.  I got no keepers but its funny what the game decides to add to Vampiric.  Total bad luck with Fatigue.  Got it one time at 50.  I got a few 100% elementals and 2 150 luck.  :D

Have to have more patience than I do. 
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited August 2022
    Acid_Rain said:
    Val hammer crafted. Whetstone removed dmg as its all on jewels & armor. Don’t need ssi. Imbued to add 5th property since dmg removed. This baby DesTroYs any single target standing toe to toe never backing down.

Took MANY tries to get 100% mana leech w life leech, fatigue, & mana drain. More tries to get one that could fit imbuing. Used on a human healing chiv warrior that uses joat weaving, NOT a sampire.

Absolutely beautiful. How did you put the herald, "Blessed For..." on this Bladed Staff? 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Comes from a personal bless deed. I don't remember the exact specifics of it but you had to be active around X time frame (I want to say 15+ years ago?) and each character you logged on was given a personal bless deed in their pack. 

Although they were given 1 per character; I believe they are account bound so technically you could take them from each char that has one (on any shard you have them on too) and you can use them on the same char. I think it will still work as long as it's your account they are tied to.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure, but I think the personal bless deeds came with The Second Age. My characters created then have them, but the account I added at Age of Shadows does not. 
    When the item is unequipped and in your pack there is a context menu to unbless the item, that returns your bless deed to your pack allowing you to move it to a different item.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2022
    "i have yet to see a sampire with the same weapon as mine, all sampires i see go for hit elemental and overcap mana leech or life leech on their double axes.
    But I have found with whilwind attack, that the hit area effect triggers with each target you hit, i waited in this screenshot to get everything around me, but you will get the idea.

I actually would say mathematically it's many times more efficient for damage output to have hit area, and if you can, also elemtal damage.

I am giving away my secrets here. (This is a bokuto mage)"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • ValeriaValeria Posts: 97

It's funny you mention that... I just happened to make one of these.  If I imbued it with the leeches, would you consider it fit for Yoshi?  ;)

I think this one is garbage but I've never actually played with battle lust before.  I do have a mystic thunter with 120 magery I might give it to just for a little bit of protection now and again when the colossus wanders off into the woods haha

"they are as easy to make as any other mod,
    battle lust is bugged, doesn't do anything at the moment"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    My "Favorite" Thing about high end runics is that if I randomly roll names, I can get some hilariously bad outcomes. 

Auspicious of Fortune + Vicious of Slaughter 

Possible mods 
    Luck 
    Hit Chance Increase 
    Damage Increase

You'd think, high end runic, rolling multiple charges, only 3 possible mods it should basically always be 

Luck 150 
    Hci 5 
    Di 35 

^ Decent shield 

BUT instead you get crap like 

Luck 150 
    Hci 4 
    Di 30 

Luck 150 
    Hci 5 
    Di 20 

Luck 100 
    Hci 5 
    Di 30 

And it's just kind of a joke when you think its a 1/132 reforges to get the name combo x 4 charges 

The greying out of names on certain runics is just silly

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Yoshi said:
    "i have yet to see a sampire with the same weapon as mine, all sampires i see go for hit elemental and overcap mana leech or life leech on their double axes.
    But I have found with whilwind attack, that the hit area effect triggers with each target you hit, i waited in this screenshot to get everything around me, but you will get the idea.

I actually would say mathematically it's many times more efficient for damage output to have hit area, and if you can, also elemtal damage.

@Yoshi

Out of curiosity, why is that wapons of yours "Spell Channelling" if you use it for a Sampire and not a Mage ? Isn't it a wasted Property for a Sampire ?
    edited August 2022
    “Normal sampire won’t need spell channeling, also there’s no slayer on my weap as I use it for all spawn but you will prob want 5 different slayer weaps, I don’t have room for the macros, my samp has Margery and eval which yours prob won’t.

It’s possible I am wrong as it’s unlikely that I would single handedly break the status quo of the sampire weapon

if you have slayer talisman you would prob want

super slayer
    hit area 70
    hit mana leech 81
    hit stamina leech(or life leech)
    hit lightning 50

ideally elemental damage

you prob don’t need hit life leech in vampiric embrace form.

but other people have been playing true sampire for many years maybe they know more”
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yoshi said:

In this thread about crafting with a valorite runic; I just want to point out that this is a weapon likely made with a copper runic and was imbued to get the desired mods. Kind of reconfirms that by in large using a valorite hammer isn't really worth it; the 120k trash points would be more valuable in most cases. Certainly if you count how many charges you needed to use to actually get something worthwhile; even then how much better will it be than a copper reforged imbued weapon? 
    edited August 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:

In this thread about crafting with a valorite runic; I just want to point out that this is a weapon likely made with a copper runic and was imbued to get the desired mods. Kind of reconfirms that by in large using a valorite hammer isn't really worth it; the 120k trash points would be more valuable in most cases. Certainly if you count how many charges you needed to use to actually get something worthwhile; even then how much better will it be than a copper reforged imbued weapon? 
    Yes it says reformed lesser. But you can get 100 ele damage if you choose 1 category and the game decides to add something from the ele making category.  But that is not the case for his weapon.