25 Years...

Comments

• LOL, you think I pay for UO?  :D

Seriously though, do you really not think the amount they've added or improved the game in the last 10-15+ years is pathetic? A game should at least add new content or do serious revamping and patches 2 times a year. At the very minimum! What does the UO dev team accomplish, add, or improve on the game in a year on average?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
     :D only paid accounts can post here. New O NOOB. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • New_O_RecruitNew_O_Recruit Posts: 22
    edited July 2022
    lol, maybe I only want to post here :D

You still haven't answered, does the UO dev team consistently improve the game?
    lol, maybe I only want to post here :D

You still haven't answered, does the UO dev team consistently improve the game?
    Yes that's pretty much all they do unless someone knows that they also work on other games. Kyronix has a very good work ethic from what I see.
  • Where are the game improvements? I think you just have a blind loyalty due to your love of the game
    Where are the game improvements? I think you just have a blind loyalty due to your love of the game
    You are correct I would rather it not change. 
  • You want no improvements to the game? So you admit the Devs do nothing for the game, lol
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2022
    @New_O_Recruit
    You have to realize that the small fraction of the remaining say 5% Population includes another smaller, yet forum-active, vocal group that insists that the current graphics, and game status whatever is OK. This is WHY they are still here and sing about it. 

The other (say) 95% who didn't like it and saw a better alternative has already left. They won't post here, because they just cancel their sub and don't look back. Won't waste a minute arguing with anyone. 

Some of us still here is already sitting on the fence asking for one last chance from the Dev - who has yet to respond to the many issues raised.  
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    UO is an old game apparently still incorporating much of now obsolete language from the original game.  The development team did create the enhanced client possibly with the hope phasing out the classic client.  But they now support both so every one gets to use the client they like best, They did completely revamp treasure hunting a few years ago, and they created the shard bound classification not so long ago because players complained about their shard being farmed by players mostly from Atlantic during special events.  It’s not fair to say the are not trying to improve the game.  But agree with most others the team should be responding more to many of the issues raised in this forum. 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2022
    Shard bound made the game worst not better. Not everyone can play everyday all day every week , month. So when you return and see all the new items that you can’t get because no one we’ll sell the only one they have and you can’t buy them from Atlantic it’s very discouraging, but at the same time you’ve paid for multiple accounts the hole time for what ? 
    Easy to why there is a steady flow of idocs  
    remove shard bound and make items account bound after selling them maybe. Has to be a better way. 

Honestly who cares if people farm items and sell them ? The scripting selling gold EM events lol really. Way big problems than the treasure of events going on. 
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited July 2022
    Shard bound is a double edged sword in a way.

Yes it is a problem to have people script farm things en masse during servers and then ship it all back to Atl to sell and no, "atlantic" players aren't the only people guilty of this. Atlantic is just the best place to buy things because it's the best place to SELL things. There is actual consistent demand there, and demand begets supply.

Yet at the same time it's a bad model because of that same supply. A player with less time to invest into these events, or who missed them, is unlikely able to acquire these items after the event has ended on a much less active server, and are not able to simply go to the market server and bring them back.

While I'm a fan of making high demand commodities shard bound to prevent off server script farms, it is equally a flawed system. The ultimate solution to all of those problems is actually very simple, but nobody wants to hear it.
    I see nothing good for shard bound or rather, the cons beat the pro 100000:1.

Hardly a double edge.

Back To OP:
    Improve? We are blessed if they can keep up with bug fixing for production shard.

Soon, their workload will be doubled by NLS launch and God Help Us All.
  •  :s 
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541

Your intent is notable ELG. Good luck with that.

Cheers from another vanilla 2D player.

edited August 2022
    Arnold7 said:
    UO is an old game apparently still incorporating much of now obsolete language from the original game.  The development team did create the enhanced client possibly with the hope phasing out the classic client.  But they now support both so every one gets to use the client they like best, They did completely revamp treasure hunting a few years ago, and they created the shard bound classification not so long ago because players complained about their shard being farmed by players mostly from Atlantic during special events.  It’s not fair to say the are not trying to improve the game.  But agree with most others the team should be responding more to many of the issues raised in this forum. 
    As some said, the issue is the lack of consistency

No one said the game has not improved over 25 years. 

Recent lack of response over bug list, scripts, newsletters, etc. There seemed to be a.pause.

But we are consistently paying sub. Can we still play while subscription is also paused?
    The lack of consistency is a huge problem it’s like trying to understand an addict at this point. 
    I really hope NL brings a less complex system to the main shards. 
  • I will be blunt, the lack of communication is scary but it could be for a great reason...or a terrible one. I for one do not want to rush anyone so I will try my best to wait...but I want more communication just like everyone else. 
  • Kirthag said:

Your intent is notable ELG. Good luck with that.

Cheers from another vanilla 2D player.

I appreciate the kind words. :)
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited August 2022
    I would like to hear @epiclutegaming thoughts regarding:
    1. The only content we've gotten in the past several years, and the only content we will get, is: ToTs, champ spawn and a quest. It's set up so lazily the devs just select a few rewards and copy/paste it over from the last one.
    2. PVP is dead to anyone that doesn't cheat through their teeth. You can find youtube videos to see what I'm talking about... they play clients that don't even resemble the CC/EC and have functionality and automatic help scripts legit players just can't keep up with.
    These two issues, imo, are the most pressing and I have seen so many people come and then inevitably go because of these. For #2 seems like the third party clients are the underlaying issue.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • For number 1 my honest opinion is I like the different events and I feel like they can only do so much with the old tech. I do not like how the last ToT was handled and turned into a grind fest, but it is what it is. 

As far as number 2 goes anyone who is in my Discord or watches my content knows that not only can I not PVP but I also have little interest in learning knowing I will be going up against what I call, "non-natural" PVPers. 

In the end it seems like the big issue is the underlying use of 3rd party programs without an insight into what can and cannot be used with getting us in trouble. 
    edited August 2022
    For number 1 my honest opinion is I like the different events and I feel like they can only do so much with the old tech. I do not like how the last ToT was handled and turned into a grind fest, but it is what it is. 
    I do not accept that, "there is only they can do with old tech". That's true at all and is giving the devs that we pay a hall pass to do nothing. In fact holiday/events/content in general in the past 20 years before they started to do this recycling was overwhelmingly unique and very few mechanics recycled:
    • the conjurer garb event
    • magincia rubble
    • shard of the dead
    • cures for the garg mini game
    • cures for the garg macro game (sashes/necklaces/staff)
    • shadowguard
    • umbra lake encounter
    • tot (until recently)
    etc, etc. I really could go on for a long time naming unique mechanics/events that they've done over the years. We've seen in the past what the Devs can do: they own the code to the game, they can literally do anything and I think most people miss that fact and give them a pass. Not acceptable at all.

It's only been recently that they have gotten 'lazy' (sorry, for lack of better term) and not releasing actual new and exciting content and recycling the same three: champ spawn/quest/tot rinse repeat cycle. It's objectively boring like you have stated and is a grind fest.

I will fully admit that repeating these mechanics are fine. We can do more ToTs, they were popular in the past for sure. Champ spawn and a quest? Sure, I like those. The quests are usually unique and have some nice Ultima lore. BUT my issue is that it's all we have seen the last few years, some with up to 3 a year, and it doesn't look like anything will be changing. 

We need to break the cycle and get something new.

Recycling the same content over and over doesn't get new subs. It doesn't retain subs from what I've seen; I know so many people that quit because they don't want to do the same ToT grind every few months. It's boring. If nothing changes, I'm probably not going to last much longer myself. Limit ToT/quest/champ to once a year maximum.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    NL should break the cycle bringing back pvp in a big way when groups of players engage in guild wars.  Pretty sure it will appeal to a lot of long time players that remember what UO was like in the early days.  No sure if will attract and retain new players but it should break the mold as at least some players will spend less time killing monsters.

Agree most player vs monster events center around killing various spans and then a boss, or random spawning monsters and paras. in a dungeon.  But generally the developers try to mix it up some so each event is a little different from the others in some respect.
    Arnold7 said:
    NL should break the cycle bringing back pvp in a big way when groups of players engage in guild wars.  Pretty sure it will appeal to a lot of long time players that remember what UO was like in the early days.  No sure if will attract and retain new players but it should break the mold as at least some players will spend less time killing monsters.
    What is this based on? They haven't spoiled really any of the gameplay so how do you know this? Either way they have said that you will still be using the standard clients to connect so all the cheats will still be available to these players lol so it's status quo as far as pvp, only for mega cheaters. It's going to be a flop.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Arnold7 said:

Unfortunately unless they are going to do something about scripting in PvP, there likely will not be a revitalization. Another big piece will be how consensual PvP works because if people are able to get all the perks without PvP then why would they even bother with it? You are going to have the same 10-15 people fighting each other while the rest of the shard "opts out".
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2022
    “I also suggested that since NL is supposed to be a classic style UO, they should not allow people to log into NL with cheat client. But they have as yet not committed to this.

People quit a long time ago due to cheating, imagine how the returning players will react now with the industrial scale all-in-one mass cheating that is permitted. Out of the frying pan and into the furnace. 

We don’t know exactly what pvp on NL will be like, but I can’t imagine many scenarios where being able to run and cast spells faster would not give you an advantage. I cannot believe they are going to subject the poor new customers to that sort of toxic environment, allowing cheats on NL, even allowing cheats on normal shard I believe is a negative thing for the future of the game. Although I understand my opinion on this matter is not shared by others”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    I really hope it’s a new client that blocks all the hacks/scripting/and 3rd party Bs if not …. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I appreciate @Kyronix commenting on the loot table but we still need to know what the road map is and why we've had no newsletter for months you know actual communication 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    It’s coming soon I’m sure 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2022
    "I could make a dozen of these clips a day
    all you have to do is disarm someone and speedhack and hit with a special on the move, NO moving shot required.

step 1 install faster running client
    step 2, press primary or secondary weapon special ability.

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    Amber now an honorary member of clan Mcdougle  ;)
    Ooh, Ooh, can I join?
    You of course already are you're also lead bagpiper 
    Wait... we don't get to vote on new members?!?  :p
    My resume 

Haaa-haaaa! Too much.