New Expansion Idea - Kingdom of Dwarves

OnixiaOnixia Posts: 81
edited July 2022 in General Discussions
Greetings everyone.  It's been awhile since we had a new expansion.  I was thinking about this idea.  There is so much vast areas of nothingness but woods across all of Britannia that no one ever really explores them unless they are treasure hunting or lost.  My expansion concept is the return of the Dwarves.  Long ago the entire kingdom of Dwarves was cursed for a 1000 years by an evil sorcerer.  Their mighty city and scattered settlements all vanished into a void and became hidden from the rest of the world.  Their vary existence wiped from all memory and record.  A 1000 years have passed and the curse disolves.   Their mighty city and villages finally revealed again.  This would usher in new skills, new craftables, new deco, new armor items and a new class of character that you could create.  Not to mention, new locations to explore.  Maybe a new ridable animal to tame that dwarves can only ride like giant cave rats.  There would finally be small villages here and there to break up the huge tracts of nothingness wilderness.  And even a new underground dungeon where the Kingdom of Dwarves exists.  What does everyone think of this idea?
  1. Would you like to see a expansion with Dwarves?21 votes
    1. Yes I would love a new expansion with Dwarves.
      52.38%
    2. Yes I would like a new expansion but not with Dwarves
      14.29%
    3. No, I would not like to see a new expansion.
      33.33%

Comments

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    I'd love to see the race of Dwarves introduced. I could be dreaming but I think I've seen pros and cons to this idea over the years. The cons being Dwarves didn't exist throughout any of Ultima's history. I don't really care about that at all.

I'll add, if I really had my druthers, and we could only choose one new race to build new characters with, it would be orcs.
  • OnixiaOnixia Posts: 81
    edited July 2022
    Orc would be interesting.  We get around the whole did not exist in the history of Ultima by introducing the curse that wiped all mention and memory of them.  And dwarves would be masters of stone craft, jewellery making (think battle jewels just like weapons) and macers.  Plus they would be much cuter than orcs.

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Goblins
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Dwarves look great in all modern games... but I can't imagine how it could look nice in UO graphics  :s
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    it's easy to throw out ideas for the game like new skills but what would those skills do to improve the game, considering the amount of already useless skills existing in game that apparently the devs cannot find a use for.

Marge said:
    Goblins
     :D 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Dwarves with enhanced crafting abilities
    or
    Fix BUGS first
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I would also like to see a bit more ethnic inclusion for armor, clothes and weapons. Examples such as:  Ancient Egyptian striped headdress and the fancier Pharaoh version;  Zulu leopard skin shield and assegai:  Aztec feathered headdress and obsidian edged warclub; Persian helmet, Indian turban, Arabic keffiyeh; American Indian buffalo horned headdress and feathered war bonnet. And yes -  Dwarves and halflings, orcs and goblins - would be cool, maybe as body types not distinct races.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Orcs plz 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Just created a new character on Atlantic mostly just to get prices from vendor search. Have been exploring a little and think all of the housing especially in wooded areas might create some problems for this idea on that shard.  Like the idea though.
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    edited July 2022
    LilyGrace said:
    I'd love to see the race of Dwarves introduced. I could be dreaming but I think I've seen pros and cons to this idea over the years. The cons being Dwarves didn't exist throughout any of Ultima's history. I don't really care about that at all.

I'll add, if I really had my druthers, and we could only choose one new race to build new characters with, it would be orcs.
    Dwarves did exist in the Ultima Saga.  They were a playable race in Ultima 3.  :smile:
  • OnixiaOnixia Posts: 81
     <3 
    Sable said:
    LilyGrace said:

Dwarves did exist in the Ultima Saga.  They were a playable race in Ultima 3.  :smile:
    Sweet! Did the females have beards?   :D
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited July 2022
    I would love to see a solen event or expansion. Including defending the existing hives from invading solen armies. All different colours abilities etc. with great new rewards for helping the hives.  New caves open up underground etc. 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2022
    Sable said:
    Dwarves did exist in the Ultima Saga.  They were a playable race in Ultima 3. 
    In Ultima 1 as well...

LilyGrace said:
    No one had beards...

-Arroth
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    I want to be a bobbit, whatever that is 
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Sable said:
    In Ultima 1 as well...

LilyGrace said:
    No one had beards...

I want Bobbits

If you look closer, you can see a beard and bobbit protector. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
     :D 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    LilyGrace said:

If you look closer, you can see a beard and bobbit protector. 

LOL
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    I think a dwarf race would be cool with a new expansion... However, with the very limited dev budget,  I think bug fixes and a client overhaul takes priority.

When I say CLIENT OVERHAUL
    • Improve pixel count (no  change to art) for modern computers.  a 30 year old client doesn't handle 2k+ resolution monitors... even EC.  #pipe_dream.  
    • One client to rule them all #pipe_dream ...if they took some of CC art, increased pixel density + using some of KR terrain (which is way > CC terrain),   and coupled it with EC interface, it would be happy medium. Such a waste of resources is used managing 2 clients.
    • Fix annoying bugs, EC Ghosting during champ spawns, which was supposed to be fixed.
  • There will never be a new expansion. That era is over. At this rate I'm not convinced there will ever be new content apart from whatever it is that the new shard gets and EM events.

Bobbit was a Hobbit from the early Ultima games, because it's not copyright infringement if you change one letter. Another example would be "balrons."
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited August 2022
    JohnKnighthawke said:
    There will never be a new expansion. That era is over. At this rate I'm not convinced there will ever be new content apart from whatever it is that the new shard gets and EM events.

Bobbit was a Hobbit from the early Ultima games, because it's not copyright infringement if you change one letter. Another example would be "balrons."
    Yeah, unless they can really win back the 95% population lost, by attracting younger players - which then justify the cost to hire more developers to handle UO and NLS separately. 

If they are using the same team, I think you are 100% right - even if they can come up with a new expansion that could take years and lots of bugs. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Sable said:
    In Ultima 1 as well...

LilyGrace said:
    No one had beards...

I want Bobbits
    Great find!
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Onixia said:
    Greetings everyone.  It's been awhile since we had a new expansion.  I was thinking about this idea.  There is so much vast areas of nothingness but woods across all of Britannia that no one ever really explores them unless they are treasure hunting or lost.  My expansion concept is the return of the Dwarves.  Long ago the entire kingdom of Dwarves was cursed for a 1000 years by an evil sorcerer.  Their mighty city and scattered settlements all vanished into a void and became hidden from the rest of the world.  Their vary existence wiped from all memory and record.  A 1000 years have passed and the curse disolves.   Their mighty city and villages finally revealed again.  This would usher in new skills, new craftables, new deco, new armor items and a new class of character that you could create.  Not to mention, new locations to explore.  Maybe a new ridable animal to tame that dwarves can only ride like giant cave rats.  There would finally be small villages here and there to break up the huge tracts of nothingness wilderness.  And even a new underground dungeon where the Kingdom of Dwarves exists.  What does everyone think of this idea?
    Dwarves would be cool.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    If there were those statue thingies like they have for goblins, I'd love to see them for Orcs and Dwarves.