What Is The Real World Official Stance On Using Scripts?

1234568»

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited July 2022
    “McDonald is saying to report people using unofficial client..for speeding etc

but at least their vehicle is roadworthy, I am driving around slowly with no brake light and bald tyres. I should be reporting users who are still using official client as it’s so defective it should be a crime”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630

And so with all this said, we are no closer to having an answer to the original question.

So if this was your sandbox and you got to write the rules regarding the use of scripts that everyone had to abide by, no exceptions, even for those that believe that they don't have to respect your rule for what ever blah blah blah reason, how would you word your official rule on using scripts?

This isn't being asked for arguments sake, this is being asked so to get an understanding of the broader opinion of those that read and post on this forum.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited July 2022
    IMHO as it stands the only thing that should be illegal is AFK Scripting (on the fence) and Multiboxing (BAN HAMMER).
    Open a new section on the Forum for uploading/downloading programs/scripts so everybody can be equal
    or ban every and all cheaters even if it closes UO due to subs.

The DEVs can not afford to follow the rules or they will find themselves in the unemployment line.

I am old and sometimes it hurts just to go around and collect BODs.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    https://www.uoguide.com/Rules_of_Conduct

Unless i missed it I see nothing about scripting only unattended actions 

Even if this is the case it's terrible customer service to not take 2 minutes and post a link 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    edited July 2022

24. You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Electronic Arts to be used with the Service. Information about approved software can be found *here.

*The link to the information about approved software is dead.

24. You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Electronic Arts to be used with the Service. Information about approved software can be found *here.

I think 3rd party programs different than scripting EC allows macros that can be looped i haven't played CC in years so can't speak to it i looked for a list of approved 3rd party apps and could only find 5 or 6 years old threads with of course no actual statements from the developers..
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Now that is funny
    Now that is funny
    Sadly none of this is funny rather a sad statement on the official state of affairs 
  • 3rd party programs destroyed pvp in the game. I would say 90% of the pvpers left in the game use scripts that: Share targets, auto-dismounts, target relative, auto-box, auto-summon/mount, auto-potions, auto-abilities, one macro to dmount/throw bola/tele to target, auto-rearm, auto-apple, heals that automatically target an injured friend. There's hardly any skill left in the game. 

The problem is that the Devs allowed this to go on for so long that if they start banning people they'll have no one left to keep them employed. Their inaction has caused many players to quit the game over the years. For what they've allowed to happen to UO they DESERVE to be unemployed. The current state of the game and Dev team is so disgusting that it's not worth paying for or playing this game anymore. Everyone should just let OSI die. If you have a craving to play join a different type of UO server...
    edited July 2022
    “There are no consumer rights that paying customers have?
    I’m interested to know if there are any legal proceedings customers could potentially group together to take against broadsword over demonstrable failures. If a couple of enthusiasts can create a whole client that fixes the bugs that paying customers do not receive it’s perhaps evidence of paying customers being scammed by broadsword?”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Now wonder you deserved to be banned.
    I won't have a groupie with u for legal action.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Now that is funny
    I think this says all that we need to know for that rule. They don't even keep the link alive to give approved software.

I think it's been said by a few and kinda confirmed via GM River (and the action/inaction of the Dev team). Use whatever 3rd party program you like to run whatever scripts you like as long as you are attended in a single session of UO.

The only question from that point is about multiboxing. Sure it's illegal but is it really actionable if you aren't blatantly abusing it (ie using 5 accounts to plow through everything on your screen)? My take on this would be if you are just multiboxing with 2 accounts (maybe 3 if 1 is a bard) it probably would be hard to prove because someone can say they are just toggling between 2 screens (with bard on auto-follow).
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Now that is funny
    I think this says all that we need to know for that rule. They don't even keep the link alive to give approved software.

I think it's been said by a few and kinda confirmed via GM River (and the action/inaction of the Dev team). Use whatever 3rd party program you like to run whatever scripts you like as long as you are attended in a single session of UO.

The only question from that point is about multiboxing. Sure it's illegal but is it really actionable if you aren't blatantly abusing it (ie using 5 accounts to plow through everything on your screen)? My take on this would be if you are just multiboxing with 2 accounts (maybe 3 if 1 is a bard) it probably would be hard to prove because someone can say they are just toggling between 2 screens (with bard on auto-follow).
    I feel it depends on the severity.

Let's say 3 bards are pretty harmless for what they can do. 

But let's say one can have 10 x legendary Spellweavers cast WOD to kill say Virtunebane or Osiredon in just 2 to 3 hits per toon in less than 20-30 secs... that is crazy.

I posted a multiboxer casting a low level spell to kill a monster during Yukio event. 10 x fireball is 300 damage per volley.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Well, this is the aftermath of having posted my previous picture three days ago. They are gone.

edited September 2022
    @devs ;
    the forum moderators seem to be under the impression that the o**** is not approved or illegal and don’t want people to talk about it.

please correct their record, 
    As far as I am aware it is the most commonly used client and absolutely not bannable to use as you can livestream playing on it or upload public videos on YouTube using this client on official servers without recourse

as far as I am aware there is no current list of approved/unapproved programs and people are free to use anything.

if this is not the case please state”
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator

Rules of Conduct

You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Broadsword Online Games to be used with the Service
    Only uoa, uoam and UO Cartography have such written permission.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited September 2022
    Mariah said:

Rules of Conduct

You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Broadsword Online Games to be used with the Service
    Then, if I may ask, why so many UO players are using that client, as well as others, which we cannot discuss about on the Forums, and, apparently, at least to my understanding, seem to do so without getting banned for their use ?

I do not understand it, please explain this to me. Are they illegal and thus players using them get banned, or, players using them do not get banned and, consequentially, that means their their use has implicitly been authorized ?

I mean, it does not look like Rocket Science to me.... if their use is illegal and bannable then, how is it that we can see UO players using them left and right and, yet, hardly getting banned ?

I honestly, do not understand it.

Thank you.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I don't know anyone that uses that client or needs to. Birds of a feather flock together so Yoshi just thinks so many use it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    I've actually been impressed with how many UO Twitch streamers are not using alternative clients. EpicLuteGaming uses the CC, LavaLynk, BehrlyThere, RiianRaspberry, are using the EC.

In Epic's case, he's spoken before on Stream that while he does wish the developers would clarify the third-party issue further, he's happy with the CC.

If you look on Twitch regularly as I do the people who aren't using the CC or EC are not players within the developers purview anyway. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    popps said:
    Mariah said:

Rules of Conduct

Then, if I may ask, why so many UO players are using that client, as well as others, which we cannot discuss about on the Forums, and, apparently, at least to my understanding, seem to do so without getting banned for their use ?

I do not understand it, please explain this to me. Are they illegal and thus players using them get banned, or, players using them do not get banned and, consequentially, that means their their use has implicitly been authorized ?

I mean, it does not look like Rocket Science to me.... if their use is illegal and bannable then, how is it that we can see UO players using them left and right and, yet, hardly getting banned ?

I honestly, do not understand it.

Thank you.

We do not discuss them, because by doing so, some of us encourage others to try them who might not otherwise deviate from the official, approved programs. We have no knowledge of whether anyone is banned for using them, only heresay that people are using them without consequence.
    Those people use such things at their own risk, accepting that they may, at some point, see action against their account, they accept such vulnerabilities that may, or may not, be in the client that could put their personal information at risk or which may corrupt the data defining their skills and their account's contents.
    This conversation is now concluded. Thank you for your feedback.
This discussion has been closed.