What Is The Real World Official Stance On Using Scripts?

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    The server line respawn wasn't true for Jhelom. In the few hours I did do this, i constantly stole from vaccum bots while picking eggs from inside the rancher. They repawned. The farms also respawned while standing there. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "this is completely off topic but the eggs absolutely did respawn if you stayed on the server with the egg, at least at all farms in fel"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    They did in Trammel and Malas too.  Maybe not in the same exact spot each time.  If you just waited around, you could collect eggs from the same location or just come back to it over and over.  Respawn time might have varied. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “Okay so they cannot afford to ban anyone for using cheats. 
    But there are other actions:

how about re-introducing a permanent stat loss? A loss of 1% on all skills upon death for those using scripts

Or only allow entry into certain dungeons to those using official clients.

or simply just put a (cheat) after someone’s name so they lose credibility“
    It depends on how u define cheat vs the design intent.

The design intent has allowed macros since day 1 which is a simplified script to automate arm, disarm, dress up, and a series of actions. Since day 1.

The 3rd party scripts can much more automation.

So automation is not a cheat, but the type of automation, what it can do and only if it's un-monitored aka AFK.

So back to OP, scripts are ok but certain automation is still banned e.g. multi boxing.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Seth said:
    Yoshi said:

how about re-introducing a permanent stat loss? A loss of 1% on all skills upon death for those using scripts

The design intent has allowed macros since day 1 which is a simplified script to automate arm, disarm, dress up, and a series of actions. Since day 1.

So automation is not a cheat, but the type of automation, what it can do and only if it's un-monitored aka AFK.

So back to OP, scripts are ok but certain automation is still banned e.g. multi boxing.
    @EpicLuteGaming this, the steadfast unwillingness of the developers to reply to questions like this address this first 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I don’t have a problem with macros but when the macro gets to the point that it plays the game for you while you just monitor the screen without any interaction at all that is going to far.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited July 2022
    Arnold7 said:
    I don’t have a problem with macros but when the macro gets to the point that it plays the game for you while you just monitor the screen without any interaction at all that is going to far.
    THIS  I really wish UO would allow some of the 3rd party programs as old age really starts to take it toll even doing the everyday things starts to hurt.
  • McDougle said:
    Seth said:
    Yoshi said:

@ EpicLuteGaming this, the steadfast unwillingness of the developers to reply to questions like this address this first 
    I myself have been in a struggle with this. I really want to use some of the programs I see others running, but I am 100% afraid to risk my accounts so I do not. I would also love to work out a clear line of what is good and bad for us players. Thanks for tagging me, also noted. 
    @Seth I am going to prove that certain scripts are not supposed to be in use.

• Talisman Of The Fey [Cu Sidhe Form] (60 Ninjitsu Required)
    People on unofficial client have bandages auto heal without this talisman.

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Why people always circle back to "Only allow _official_ client to do x y z". Do you think if they had any method of actually filtering out who is on an official client and who is on a third party client in real time that they wouldn't already be blocking it from logging into their servers?

It's not some magical switch that they just don't choose to flip, the switch doesn't exist yet, and it won't exist until mesanna puts her big girl pants on and reaches out to the third party developers (who have stated time and time again that they would be more than happy to help the dev team, if they would reach out.) to start working on a negotiation/authentication protocol. Again, the rampant misuse of third party clients for automation and scripting was something addressed over a decade ago for the free servers, and these measures have already been implemented into the base framework.

The most UO has as far as "authentication" is a version check, even their client side checksum is rudimentary and hasn't been changed much in the last near two decades, which is why it can take 10 minutes to apply a paltry 15mb patch on an m2/SSD.
    edited July 2022
    "i can tell within 10 seconds in real time if someone is not using an official client,
    i am sure broadsword have access to more information than me, a player"
    edited July 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "i can tell within 10 seconds in real time if someone is not using an official client,
    i am sure broadsword have access to more information than me, a player"

No, you can make the assumption based on visual indicators, personal bias and experience. You do not have the capability however to register and compile raw data in real time to accurately ascertain the difference between a legitimate client and a third party client.

The computer is not a human brain. The only human factor that goes into what a computer can and cannot do is what a human tells it, what you're suggesting is actions that would take advanced algorithmic data compilation and AI. Outside of your fanatical hollywood delusions, that sort of thing isn't as readily available to "the highest bidder" as you think, and it certainly isn't something operable on a framework designed in the late 90s.

Bias and personal experiences are also flawed, do you know how long the majority of us have been listening to the same recycled stereotypes spouted by multi decade losers in this game? "I lost, they have to be cheating.", "They ran faster than me, they must be speed hacking", "They used potions on the run, they must be scripting. I know this because I use potions and I have to stop, look through my bag, and double click them to use them.", "I don't know how they killed me so fast. Cheaters, clearly.".

If you want to consider speed alone as the prime indicator, one of the fastest players I have ever played with and still play with, still uses UOA only. He's an east coast player, I am a west coast player, he can outrun me on most west coast servers, and every single east coast server, and he doesn't use a gaming VPN.
    edited July 2022
    “Okay it is all just pure skill, no extra speed on unofficial client, so let me ask you, why are you using unofficial client? 
    you just prefer the graphics okay…

I guess everyone who is using it is purely using the client for aesthetic reasons and not for the increased movement and spellcasting speed okay.

and when someone gets paralysed for a millisecond by accident between spells from reactive para, and their trapped box goes off for no reason, it must be pure coincidence that they accidentally hit their trapped box button at the same time. 
    Life is full of happy little coincidences

generally the cheats don’t bother me, auto cure, auto trapped box, auto bandage, auto re-arm, I don’t really care it’s not a big deal but the increased movement/casting speed is just OP. If someone on unofficial client is redlined and you try and chase on official classic client to hit with a weap, will never make contact. But the other way around and people can armor ignore, death strike etc. 

they removed the ability for splinter to proc on disarm because it was overpowered, but if you’re on unofficial client you can just disarm someone and catch up to them anyway so makes no difference.

but whatever nobody cares anymore cos everyone uses that client so all fair…”
    edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “Okay it is all just pure skill, no extra speed on unofficial client, so let me ask you, why are you using unofficial client? 
    you just prefer the graphics okay…

I guess everyone who is using it is purely using the client for aesthetic reasons and not for the increased movement and spellcasting speed okay.

and when someone gets paralysed for a millisecond by accident between spells from reactive para, and their trapped box goes off for no reason, it must be pure coincidence that they accidentally hit their trapped box button at the same time. 
    Life is full of happy little coincidences

generally the cheats don’t bother me, auto cure, auto trapped box, auto bandage, auto re-arm, I don’t really care it’s not a big deal but the increased movement/casting speed is just OP. If someone on unofficial client is redlined and you try and chase on official classic client to hit with a weap, will never make contact. But the other way around and people can armor ignore, death strike etc. 

they removed the ability for splinter to proc on disarm because it was overpowered, but if you’re on unofficial client you can just disarm someone and catch up to them anyway so makes no difference”

The last time I played I used UOA and the Journeyman's armor set to pvp on Atlantic.
    In my opinion the **** client is what the enhanced client should have been in terms of looks and feel. Gut the scripting out of it and it's actually a very good client.

You're going off the rails however into speculative theory, yes those are indicators of automated gameplay made possible by scripts. But you're misunderstanding (like usual) what is being said, so I'll quote what I said earlier. "You do not have the capability however to register and compile raw data in real time to accurately ascertain the difference between a legitimate client and a third party client."

Furthermore if speed is all anyone was after, EC would be the way to go as it is still the fastest client of all the clients put together. (Other than the Japanese client which is irrelevant due to it's huge limiting factors)
    edited September 2022
    "amazing skills, 2 people or more log in ****, catch up to person and hit with any weapon special, rinse and repeat. don't even need to splinter or sleep the target.
    Moving shot not required.
    This is on live shard right now, total joke game

people even video themselves doing it and upload on youtube"

edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "amazing skills, 2 people or more log in ***, catch up to person and hit with any weapon special, rinse and repeat. don't even need to splinter or sleep the target.
    Moving shot not required.
    This is on live shard right now, total joke game

people even video themselves doing it and upload on youtube"

Can you show us where you paged on them ?? Or when you report the members of your own guild?? You refuse to do your part then come looking for sympathy time to step it up and report 
  • I can say for myself I have seen a few streamers and youtubers using clients other than the official and while it looks good and smooth I can see how it may come with added benefits of use. This would be a tricky subject to work out but clearly, it needs done. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited July 2022
    What I do not understand, is that, to my understanding, 

https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-online-services-launches-two-new-free-services

On top of that, Epic Online Services is offering the industry-leading anti-cheat solution to all developers for free. Easy Anti-Cheat is a powerful feature necessary for the smooth running of any online game with players on PC. These services empower developers to launch, operate, and scale great games like never before. 

Apparently I seem to gather that, from the Link above, "Epic Online Services is offering the industry-leading anti-cheat solution to all developers for free. "

Would it solve all of the cheating issues for UO ? I have no idea.... 

Are there better options to stop cheating in UO ? Possibly, I do not know.... but at least, I would like to see something being done to stop all the scripting, the cheating, the use of unapproved Third Party applications.....
    popps said:

https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-online-services-launches-two-new-free-services

On top of that, Epic Online Services is offering the industry-leading anti-cheat solution to all developers for free. Easy Anti-Cheat is a powerful feature necessary for the smooth running of any online game with players on PC. These services empower developers to launch, operate, and scale great games like never before. 

Apparently I seem to gather that, from the Link above, "Epic Online Services is offering the industry-leading anti-cheat solution to all developers for free. "

Are there better options to stop cheating in UO ? Possibly, I do not know.... but at least, I would like to see something being done to stop all the scripting, the cheating, the use of unapproved Third Party applications.....
    Starting to wonder if popps is getting a commission from this company...let it go popps 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited July 2022
    McDougle said:
    popps said:

Starting to wonder if popps is getting a commission from this company...let it go popps 
    Not at all, I am just mentioning it as an example as a theoretical way to deal with cheating in Ultima Online because I saw it as mentioned that it is offered as free.

I totally have nothing to do with them at all, just thought that, when I read it as being offered free, that this could be one among the reasons to possibly consider it for the UO Developers..... of course, I imagine, there is also other factors which Ultima Online Designers' would want to consider to decide either way...

Of course that it is the UO's Developers call, ultimatedly....

I am just saying that, as a UO player, I would like to see cheating GONE from Ultima Online, however Ultima Online's Developers were to decide to achieve a "cheat-free" Ultima Online with...
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Here's a busy little bee on Formosa. Running two thieves at the same time. Was out marking runes for runebooks when I came across these twins. Maybe attended, I do not know, but they did not seem to notice me.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited July 2022
    @Ben
    In the Sims Online
    When we noticed an AFK player.
    We would set up a podium and deco the area for a wedding then the priest would come marry the afk person to me.

This person woke up right after the ceremony.
    You should try to incorporate some of these players you find into your cartoons.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Pawain said:
    @ Ben
    In the Sims Online
    When we noticed an AFK player.
    We would set up a podium and deco the area for a wedding then the priest would come marry the afk person to me.

This person woke up right after the ceremony.
    You should try to incorporate some of these players you find into your cartoons.

Ha! Great idea. I will try it.
    edited July 2022
    "if you are a group of half a dozen people, all of whom have been playing for 10+ years, and you're attacking 1 person,
    why you all need to use faster illegal client too?
    not necessary in my opinion"
    Yoshi said:
    "if you are a group of half a dozen people, all of whom have been playing for 10+ years, and you're attacking 1 person,
    why you all need to use faster illegal client too?
    not necessary in my opinion"
    Can you post screenshots of your reporting them if not you're as much as the problem as they are 
    edited September 2022
    "dated 17/7/22 when asking for a safe download link to **** client.

Looks like reporting would be a waste of everyone's time"

This is not you reporting this is you asking the GMs questions I'm sure you're familiar with the process of reporting in game but am sure there is a link explaining it somewhere otherwise 
    edited July 2022
    “Not fault of individual player. Players are innocent.
    scenario: innocent player has bugs EG attack nearest hostile attacks guilded chars who are criminal or red. 
    Or cannot even mount their own horse in combat mode.
    or missing option to auto navigate around objects on CC.
    Guild member sends player download link for working client. 

It’s not currently bannable offence. 
    As far as we are aware.

in every guild I join I am causing constant problems to everyone by using official client. As I keep attacking wrong person (due to targeting bugs and no mobiles bars) and keep stopping on every tree or wall of stone I touch - causing other people to die as I am so slow to get to them. And I cannot dispel fields for people that are behind houses (unless I’m stood next to it)
    It should be me who is banned for using defective official classic client which is causing grief to guild members

Rules of conduct:
    24. You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other Ultima Online users to enjoy playing the game…

By using the defective official client I am arguably breaking the rules of conduct.

if I am making people rage quit by stopping on every tree instead of being near to them to help them, who is the real troublemaker?”

Yoshi said:
    “Not fault of individual player. Players are innocent.
    scenario: innocent player has bugs EG attack nearest hostile attacks guilded chars who are criminal or red. 
    Or cannot even mount their own horse in combat mode.
    or missing option to auto navigate around objects on CC.
    Guild member sends player download link for working client. 

It’s not currently bannable offence. 
    Players are innocent.

in every guild I join I am causing constant problems to everyone because I am on official client. As I keep attacking wrong person (due to targeting bugs and no mobiles bars) and keep stopping on every tree or wall of stone I touch. And I cannot dispel fields for people that are behind houses (unless I’m stood next to it)
    It should be me who is banned for using defective official classic client which is causing grief to guild. “
    More excuses.  start your own guild find other players who don't want to cheat and have guild wars to continue to complain without making a change is insanity 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yoshi said:
    if I am making people rage quit by stopping on every tree instead of being near to them to help them, who is the real troublemaker?”

:D :D :D

Literally laughed out loud when I read that 
This discussion has been closed.