Inscription BODs

Fulfilling Inscription BODs is incredibly time-consuming compared to other types of BODs due to the mana regeneration requirements.  Alchemy, blacksmithing, archery etc don't have any sort of "cool down", just the resources and crafting time.  But with Inscription, if you're filling a 20 count LBOD , you have to make 100 scrolls and most of the time you just sit there, waiting for mana to regenerate.

Can the mana requirements be removed when crafting scrolls?  (I'm not talking about *using* scrolls, that's fine as-is, just the crafting time).

Comments

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    That always confused me.
    You don't have to have regs to use the scroll, becayse the regs were used making the scroll.

So why doesn't the same logic apply to mana?
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Yea would be great to remove the mana requirement.  Also be great to make reagents spawn in stacks of 500 or so on vendors as well and make scrolls lighter.   
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    edited May 2018
    At one time, wasn't there talk from one of the (long-gone) devs for having LRC and LMC affect scroll or potion creation in a weaker sort (essentially, subtract the cap from the total, and what's left actually effects the crafting)?

Now, the LRC idea wouldn't work anymore (After all, it's now possible to make a 200% LRC suit), but having it to where someone that had 50% LMC had an effective 10% LMC for scrollmaking would be a suitable compromise. That way, scribes could theoretically put together a specialized suit that would give them roughly the same amount of LMC as a caster would. Say, an 80% LMC suit that would grant 40% when scribing.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    I thought they wouldve had suits mods affect Inscription with LMC at least, I guess I shouldve asked first before building a nice LRC/LMC/MR etc suit for the task  :#

Not to mention they could fix Inscription skill gains as well.  Like just looking at magery scroll making the skill required from say Mark (6th level) and Gate (7th level) is huge (30%).   
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

The inscription gump should have an option to auto meditate when you run out of mana then auto restart inscribing when mana is fully recharged.  It will only end when the user says to or the character runs out of resources.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Hadn't thought about it before but 
    Wouldn't it be fare and work with game "logic" that you use regents to make the scroll then use mana to cast the scroll? 
    At he moment the same amount of mana is used to make the scroll as use it. That just doesn't seem right.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Imagine how many buildings were destroyed back in the mythical day while Scribes were making Earthquake scrolls to sell ...
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    I've spent the last 30 minutes making the scrolls to fill just 1 10 count LBOD.  This wait time for mana regeneration sux.

Get rings, bracelets, and spell books with mana regen, mana bonus, lower mana cost, and intelligence bonus. I was able to do 150 recalls in about 10 minutes.

got all the MR  and MI i can get on the armor (some looted, good stuff)  a MR +9 staff, Lich form and shadow wisp FTW!!!
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    Ok, I have MR+30.  How long does it take you to make 100 summon earth elemental scrolls?
    It took me about 35 minutes to make 100 summon earth elemental scrolls.  My current stats are 114 Magery, 100 Inscription, 100 Meditation, 172 Mana, 40 Lower Mana Cost, and 12 Mana Regeneration. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2018
    Step one, stick half a dozen EJ account chars outside your house with no resisting spells.

step two, cast mana vamp

step three, I’ll let you figure out the rest. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2018

Please, for the love of God, don't make inscription easier. It's one of the few skills that still uses reagents.

Plus, you're using a player character scribe, not a printing press, using the skill should use mana and reagents.

If anything, remove LRC from the game. :) (That will be a popular opinion!)

As a test, I just logged in my scribe. I can make 59 recall scrolls (*make max*) before I get the "you don't have enough mana" message.

Then I pushed the meditate key, waited for not quite 15 sec, and ran off the other 41 blanks as additional recalls. Total time, about 3 minutes.

And this character is nowhere near maximized for inscription.

EDIT:

Just made 13 Earth Elemental scrolls in 2.5 min. That's three cycles of craft and meditate. No macro, all just me point and click. 

So, ~104 scrolls in ~20 min.

That could be shortened significantly by a macro (EC) and by better organization on my part, so I'd guess 100 level 8 scrolls is probably a 12-15 min task. 

-Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited May 2018
    TimSt said:
    It took me about 35 minutes to make 100 summon earth elemental scrolls.  My current stats are 114 Magery, 100 Inscription, 100 Meditation, 172 Mana, 40 Lower Mana Cost, and 12 Mana Regeneration. 

Look on vendor search and buy +4 mana regen crap items. Theres some +9 weapons. Stand next to a mannequin and meditate when needed.

12 MR is not enough.

And why does your mage have such a crap suit.  + Int + mana stuff drops all over the place.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    Pawain said:

Stand next to a mannequin and meditate when needed.

What is the benefit of standing next to a mannequin??
    Your crap armor is not always medable.
    Pawain said:

And why does your mage have such a crap suit.  + Int + mana stuff drops all over the place.
    I am waiting for my imbuer and tailor to get to GM and have them build me a specific suit.  Having a character that is too powerful makes the game less appealing. There should be some risk involved.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2018
    TimSt said:
    I am waiting for my imbuer and tailor to get to GM and have them build me a specific suit.  Having a character that is too powerful makes the game less appealing. There should be some risk involved.

You might also be able to find some nice pieces using vendor search.

On a different tack...

Got curious about mana regen and meditation and did some poking around. (150Intel, 120 Med, 120 Focus would make a nice scribe...)

http://www.uoguide.com/Mana_Regeneration

If that calc is still accurate, 30 Mana regen on gear might not be necessary at all.

My scribe is running

168 Mana

150 Intel (125 + 25 from gear)

120 Med

20 Focus

28 Mana regen (15 from gear + 13 Lich form)

With this setup I'm running 3.01 passive and 4.41 active. So in 10 seconds I'm getting 30 mana back just standing there, and 44 back if I'm actively meditating.

If I bring on a 4x120 bard using the peacemaking mastery that's another 22 mana regen (50 total), which is a tiny increase to 3.07 passive and 4.47 active. In a 10 second block I'm getting the same amount, 30 for standing there, 44 actively meditating.

For my setup, not much point in going above 30 mana regen. I could gear up to 30 and use lich form to push to 43, or not worry about it, keep the 15 base from the gear and use lich from to take me to 28. Either way, the result is basically the same.

Seems like getting to 30 mana regen is the sweet spot, whatever the gear/skill combo used to get there. Pushing above that offers very, very little return.

Anyway, something to take into account when looking for gear with mana regen. Badass gear might not be necessary. You might effectively offset 13 points with lich form rather than use lich form to push from 30 to 43, which basically gives you nothing in return.

(Although, gearing to 30 MR, switching to Lich Form, and running a 4x120 peacemaking bard would be fun, just to see the 65 MR on the stat sheet!)

-Arroth
    TimSt said:
    Pawain said:

I die a lot with my nice suits.  Go whack on a Paragon Cu if you want a challenge.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    AGREE  It should NOT require mana to make scrolls, only to 'cast' them. 

Never understood the need for mana to craft them.  Sure you need the regs and the blank scrolls, as they can be cast with 0 regs so they need it there.  Even with max mana regen items (+30) and med it still takes forever to fill a level 8 20 scroll Lbod. I hate doing it, it is NOT fun, and it makes no sense to have to have mana to craft an item used to cast a spell which should be the point that the mana is required. 

I fill spellbooks for my shop and also find it so tedious once you get to the high mana spells.  Sure I do it as there is no other way, but the mana requirement is the thing that makes it so bloody boring.

Sadly it is like Lumberjacking and Mining in the respect that you are better off getting your wood and ingots from merchant ships rather than devoting 100 points to a skill.

Likewise with inscription, on prodo you are better off just buying up to level 4's, using mibs to get sunken chests for the ones above lvl 4 and always looting the bosses in shadowguard, doom and crimson dragons when spawned to get the level 8's.  I get more spells from doing the above than I get from actually using inscription skill.  All due to the boring aspect of waiting for mana to regen.

It is kinda mad when you think about it that for stuff like lumberjacking, mining, and inscription you actually get MORE resource output from 'other' means than the thing you devoted 100 points of skill to.  It really needs a LOGIC look over @Kyronix

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    And even tho it takes a while and some loss of materials, remember the kicker...that 8th circle bod still counts as just one bank point, same as a first circle bod.  Logic anyone?

• PicusPicus Posts: 13
    edited May 2018

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1369/how-much-is-that-doggy-in-the-window#latest

NM, wrong regen....but the chain of thought was close:)

CLICKITTY CLICK IS LAMESAUCE!