Why I think the town buff should be purgeable

Opinion piece
town buff should be purgeable/ loss at death for the following reasons:
1 maintain consistency with other buffs
2 instant power creep reversal
3 would allow people to play as reds - currently not many people play as red as it’s very difficult to compete vs players who have an extra FC1 and ability to use honor. (I have turned 5 of my reds blue due to this)
4 more diversity, 95% of people currently flock to FC1 town, if it was a temp buff then you might see people happy to use mana regen etc
5 reliance - as the buff is permanent, people have built their chars around it which I don’t think was the intention, so they find they can’t even play the char if the governor has changed the bonus or they are changing shard and their loyalty is to the wrong town.

let the flaming commence”
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Yoshi said:
    Opinion piece
    town buff should be purgeable/ loss at death for the following reasons:
    1 maintain consistency with other buffs
    2 instant power creep reversal
    3 would allow people to play as reds - currently not many people play as red as it’s very difficult to compete vs players who have an extra FC1 and ability to use honor. (I have turned 5 of my reds blue due to this)
    4 more diversity, 95% of people currently flock to FC1 town, if it was a temp buff then you might see people happy to use mana regen etc
    5 reliance - as the buff is permanent, people have built their chars around it which I don’t think was the intention, so they find they can’t even play the char if the governor has changed the bonus or they are changing shard and their loyalty is to the wrong town.

let the flaming commence”
    Most of your reasoning really only makes sense when applied to PvP.

Speaking for myself, the vast majority of my PvM toons do not use the FC1 buff, they use the SDI or SSI buff.  Dying to mobs is fairly common, many times in an instanced encounter where you can’t leave to reapply the buff and come back.

I do agree that there needs to be a better answer for reds getting town buffs, and for towns who change buffs under new leadership, but I’m not sure this is the right fix.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “You have fallen into reliance category, if you could instantly re-apply the buff when you lost it, it would be no different to losing the buff…
    having no buff should not cripple your char to the extent that you cannot complete an encounter”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    “You have fallen into reliance category, if you could instantly re-apply the buff when you lost it, it would be no different to losing the buff…
    having no buff should not cripple your char to the extent that you cannot complete an encounter”
    It isn’t about reliance.  Most of the buffs that can be purged or lost on death have a way to be reapplied in the field, either through a spell or consumable.  Your proposal would put town buffs at a significant disadvantage.
  • TrismegistosTrismegistos Posts: 193
    I am against that idea.
    Not the whole game base is making pvp.

Let's fix Bugs first. Let's finish the boldest Server second. Third is 25 Anni Party.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    1000% fel cities should have thier own governor and buffs...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ElvisElvis Posts: 53
    Bucs den need a town buff for reds and a vvv city
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I am against that idea.
    Not the whole game base is making pvp.

Let's fix Bugs first. Let's finish the boldest Server second. Third is 25 Anni Party.
    Excellent answer...
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • GarretGarret Posts: 64
    edited June 2022
     Each town buff should be represented and locked to associate towns, not this bs when we have 3 towns with fc  3 with ssi, governor job, if needed, should be around maintaining this buffs...
     Town cost of upkeaping buff should determinate from amount of citizens joined, so unpopular buffs should be maintained much much easier and actually exist.
      Im fine with death drop buff and purge, i say more, your reputation with town should some time go down so u need do donations or trade deals, so towns get their money to keep buff and not will be mem perma buff for 3 k logs ? lol.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    edited June 2022
    You all should stop smoking whatever it is you are. There are enough things to be fixed already, the one proposed by Mervin is NOT one of them, sheesh, and you people actually listen to what he writes? It's as if one suggested splintering weapons should break upon use because the name implies it... lol   U got a red, deal with it or cry me a river! :D

The straps need to be fixed, the drops should be improved, grass and sand should not fall under the pavers on their 2 day scheduled disappearance, Event-Paragons should not be so OP,  mages should not be so nerfd, legendary fishermen should not fish shoes, scripters should be banned, EM event drops should be shardbound, shardbound things should have the option to become account bound...

Those are some of the things that need be done...   plus mervin should not be listened to, that also...

and my house should get the historic-house-program banner! 

Now stop distracting the devs from what they should be doing.  start with the straps, grass and sand next please!
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Archangel said:
    You all should stop smoking whatever it is you are. There are enough things to be fixed already, the one proposed by Mervin is NOT one of them, sheesh, and you people actually listen to what he writes? It's as if one suggested splintering weapons should break upon use because the name implies it... lol   U got a red, deal with it or cry me a river! :D

The straps need to be fixed, the drops should be improved, grass and sand should not fall under the pavers on their 2 day scheduled disappearance, Event-Paragons should not be so OP,  mages should not be so nerfd, legendary fishermen should not fish shoes, scripters should be banned, EM event drops should be shardbound, shardbound things should have the option to become account bound...

Those are some of the things that need be done...   plus mervin should not be listened to, that also...

and my house should get the historic-house-program banner! 

Now stop distracting the devs from what they should be doing.  start with the straps, grass and sand next please!
    yeah, +1, please take a queue number.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    edited June 2022

Please leave town bonuses alone.   There is no need for these to be purgeable. 

If there is any alternative solution here, make the town buffs available in Fel.  

• King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Should be available in fel, Should be able to pick which buff you want to use for a fee/donation to the town. 
  •   To share what is likely to be an unpopular opinion, back in the day when dinosaurs used to chase me to "Software Etc..." and I played UO on Atlantic there was a lot of discussion on sites like "Crossroads" over the exact benefits of being Blue as opposed to Red. Especially when most people could just have a Dread Lord for one character and a town character to run into towns and do anything that needed doing. 

Town buffs from what I am reading are an answer to this question, and the statistical advantage probably exists to counterbalance the fact that most PKs are going to be attacking someone who is busy fighting monsters and such. Like in most MMORPGs with such systems PKs almost always have the initiative, a starting advantage, and typically get to choose the field of engagement. I doubt things are as bad as the old days where a single "Corp Por" from the edge of the screen can drop a Great Lord or Lady dead in their tracks while they are fighting an Ogre or Ettin (of course they might be, I am unlikely to PVP in the near future, if ever) but even so getting the first shot and attacking weakened targets needs to be balanced somehow. 

I would argue that if they added this for reds to the PVP zone, that it again defeats the purpose of being a "good guy". Also remember this is the world of Brittania, ever since the single player games it's been part of the concept that those who walk the path of virtue basically get super powers for doing so. <span>:smile:</span>
  • magrodnyc2magrodnyc2 Posts: 23
    Should be available in fel and with a drop down menu, allowing players to choose the Town bonus they want to use (24 hours).
    so we dont depend on Gov. changing the town bonus every election. I think ALL cities should offer a drop down menu with all bonus and let the player choose.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199

Choosing the town bonus is about the only advantage left to being a governor.  And for that matter, voting in the elections.   In my opinion, that should not be changed. 

In the event it did change, I would suggest that each city should have a specific bonus instead of merely allowing every city to give every bonus. 

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2022
    "a lot of posts in this thread saying this or that should not be changed,
    I have not proposed changing town buff or adding it to fel/reds.
    Just proposed a buff to act as a buff, instead of a permanent char stat upgrade that it currently is now"
    Yoshi said:
    Just proposed a buff to act as a buff, instead of a permanent char stat upgrade that it currently is now"
    Unfortunately it’s seems like your argument is that the buffs should be so inconsequential that losing it when you die doesn’t really matter… that kind of nerfs the whole reason for getting a town buff to begin with.

The fact that there are several town buffs that never get used only reinforces that fact.  Virtually no one uses a MR buff because it’s so inconsequential… rather than arguing for better buffs that might get used, your argument would make them all irrelevant.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Merus said:
    Yoshi said:
    Unfortunately it’s seems like your argument is that the buffs should be so inconsequential that losing it when you die doesn’t really matter… that kind of nerfs the whole reason for getting a town buff to begin with.

The fact that there are several town buffs that never get used only reinforces that fact.  Virtually no one uses a MR buff because it’s so inconsequential… rather than arguing for better buffs that might get used, your argument would make them all irrelevant.

Bards like MR!