Curio Collector Payout Bug?

This has happened (at least) twice now, went to the curio collector (Chessie) with a bunch of eggs (40-60+), blindly tag em and turn em and restart the quest and repeat without really paying attention to the payout part, then went straight over to the other guy to trade in the ingots and had one less than there should be. Happened when i did like 60 eggs and only had 5 ingots to turn in (eggs were all gone) and just happened again when I did 20 eggs, only had 1 ingot to turn in. Refreshed my packs and tried logging out and back in in case something was in limbo somewhere but definitely both the 10 eggs and the ingot are missing, so its like the transaction never finished. Pack not over-full (was able to turn in enough eggs for other ingots so at least 10 items+ free space), umm... Don't really have much more info beyond that cuz I didn't figure I really needed to double-check to make sure the NPC didn't scam me, so I just kinda been doing the ok ok ok sort of process. Will keep a closer eye on things and update if/when it happens again, but wondered if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

-Shy

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2022
    Was fine yesterday on my shard.  I was turning in 30 at time.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    If you don't click the accept button at the end and restart the quest, you are SOL
  • Happened to me twice in the last week, out of prolly a couple dozen quest redeems, idk how or why... Definitely keeping a closer eye on the transactions to make sure I get paid each time now. Even tried over-tagging extra before turning in to see if maybe that's what happened but the extras just untagged and he took the 10 he wanted and paid out the ingot, so it wasn't that. The quest windows don't close from right-click or ESC, and hitting close instead of continue when you go to turn the eggs in just leaves it unfinished with tagged eggs still in your bag. No way to pass the payout other than the accept button either, so it doesn't look like it should be a quest window issue. I'm not sure how it could even be possible to turn another batch in before the ingots went into your pack to like "skip" a payout somehow unless maybe there's crazy lag, but haven't really seen too much lag even when there's a decent crowd outside hanging out & turning stuff in & resurrecting people. Only weird thing I did notice is that you can apparently still tag the eggs as quest items even without any of the active egg quests in your list (i.e. still let me tag em even though only had elf quests in my list), but that seems more like a minor bug rather than something could explain the missing ingots... Been fine so far today though since my first message and I'm actively tryin to figure out what could have happened, so we'll see how it goes... For now I guess it's more just like momma's voice sayin "count your change before you leave the store" lol

-Shy
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Happened to me twice in the last week, out of prolly a couple dozen quest redeems, idk how or why... Definitely keeping a closer eye on the transactions to make sure I get paid each time now. Even tried over-tagging extra before turning in to see if maybe that's what happened but the extras just untagged and he took the 10 he wanted and paid out the ingot, so it wasn't that. The quest windows don't close from right-click or ESC, and hitting close instead of continue when you go to turn the eggs in just leaves it unfinished with tagged eggs still in your bag. No way to pass the payout other than the accept button either, so it doesn't look like it should be a quest window issue. I'm not sure how it could even be possible to turn another batch in before the ingots went into your pack to like "skip" a payout somehow unless maybe there's crazy lag, but haven't really seen too much lag even when there's a decent crowd outside hanging out & turning stuff in & resurrecting people. Only weird thing I did notice is that you can apparently still tag the eggs as quest items even without any of the active egg quests in your list (i.e. still let me tag em even though only had elf quests in my list), but that seems more like a minor bug rather than something could explain the missing ingots... Been fine so far today though since my first message and I'm actively tryin to figure out what could have happened, so we'll see how it goes... For now I guess it's more just like momma's voice sayin "count your change before you leave the store" lol

-Shy

Try reusing the npc with the accept window up. 
  • @King_Greg Good point! That seems plausible, but I just tried it and there's no way to not click the accept button on the last screen to be able to restart the quest... You might be on to something though - in tryin to close the accept screen I ran way away and it stayed up on the screen, but then I recalled to Luna and it closed. Went back to the quest giver and he's offering the quest again even though i never accepted payment from last time (RIP 10 more eggs to the bugtesting gods)... One would think that if you can't intentionally bypass the accept, you shouldn't be able to recall your way past it and have the quest reset either - seems like it should still be sitting at the payout screen when you go back IMO... That smells like a bug *cough* i mean an "oversight" to me. (lol)

While that kinda explains it in an extreme case, it doesn't explain why it would happen while I was still within what, 6 (?) tiles of the npc with the window going thru its "expected" steps. But something definitely seems a bit fishier now, cuz if the window can be bypassed by a location glitch, it means other glitches could possibly affect it too... question now tho is... what. 

I did somehow just manage to have the quest active in my list and tag all 10 eggs and have it not recognize any of them, checked the quest progress it saw 0 even though they were all orange, untagged and retagged each one and it told me quest was complete. That seems kinda sus. it's almost like there's a minor underlying timing bug or something, (and something like that definitely could affect payout). It's one thing to be able to tag eggs when no egg quest is active, but it's something different to be able to tag eggs with an active egg quest and have them not register unless you untag and retag them again, like something wasnt ready to look for them yet. Hmmm...

-Shy
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2022
    “Have you been picking up eggs in fel? My friend with stealth has stolen over 100 ingots from egg hunters”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • @King_Greg talked to someone else who lost eggs that way, they moved the quest window out of the way to see someone talking to em underneath it or something and then went back and talked to the quest giver again while it was still open. Seems like that should definitely count as a bug - if it's virtually impossible to accidentally close the payout window otherwise, restarting it shouldn't really be an option, I mean, nobody works for free... lol

@Yoshi 100 ingots, jeez... guess thieving can still be pretty lucrative after all... lol yes, I do collect in Fel also but these are eggs that vanish as part of the turn-in process. I doubt I'd notice if anyone was swiping them while I was out collecting - I only know the total when I go to turn em in cuz the bag has however many items in it. 

All that said, I think I figured it out (only cost me another prolly 50 or so more lost eggs).. It looks like the pack drop routine runs independently of the quest routine. I just dropped off 30 more eggs and got my 3 ingots, then did 10 more and clicked accept for the 4th ingots but the actual drop lagged longer than the first 3 times and I was able to restart the quest before it hit my pack, so the drop vanished. 

So I'm gonna chock it up to 50/50 bug/player error... Player error cuz apparently just clicking accept doesn't guarantee payout - you have to wait for the actual drop to hit your pack. Bug cuz pretty sure we'd all agree that clicking to accept the quest reward *should* guarantee payout...

Seems like the quest engine and the backpack drop engine run independent of each other and it's possible to set the 'iou a reward' flag in the quest engine and pass it to the drop engine, which confirms it and pays it out. Since they run separately though, if the drop engine is laggy, the 'iou' flag can be reset by restarting the quest engine before the drop engine processes it, which would make the drop engine see it as a 'no iou' hiccup and discard the request. But that's just my QA hunch from an IT background without having any clue how any of the the actual code works.*shrugs*

Question is will it get fixed before the event ends (or ever)? cuz it seems like it could be recurring issue any time they use the same item/quest grinding format. I'm just coming back to the game after years away, but wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't already an intermittent issue from way back that's just been kicked down the road since the quest engine went in, it just wasn't really noticed much because 99% of the time people probably don't finish and restart multiple times in a single visit to the quest giver. (Though admittedly there's quite a few quests I haven't done cuz I've been gone so long, so I could be wrong)

.... now we just have to hope one of the QA people or devs reads this and if it doesn't make it to a to-do list, it maybe at least makes it to their meeting talking points... lol *shrug*

-Shy