Monsters "sticking" onto characters no matter what ? Anyone else noticed this ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited May 2022 in General Discussions
Something odd happened to my character....

I had some time to log in and went to Destard which was pretty much deserted.

A Paragon Crimson Drake spawned and, since it was too much trouble for me to be worth the effort alone to deal with it, I dragged it towards the inside of Destard 1st level, away from the entrance.

Then, I recalled to outside of Destard and went back in.

Oddily enough, after a few seconds the Paragon Crimson Drake was back on me by the entrance...

So, I lured it once again well inside the dungeon, towards where the Champ Altar is in Felucca, and then recalled but this time, to a different subserver.

Then, waited a few seconds and went back to outside of Destard and entered again using the entrance.

Well, surprise surprise, shortly after my getting in, the Paragon Crimson Drake was back on me again...

So, with great patience and because, at this point, how was very muchcurious on how the Developers may have coded this spawn, I once again lured the Paragon Crimson Drake towards the inside of lvl 1, towards where the Champ Altar is in Felucca, and then recalled to a different sub-server but this one time, logged off entirely and stayed logged off for like a minute or two.

Then logged back in, recalled to the outside of Destard, went back in from the main entrance and, guess what ? Within a few seconds that I was inside, that Paragon Crimson Drake was back onto me...

How is this possible to be considered as reasonable, if I may ask ?

I hope that this is some sort of an aggro bug and not intended design because players should have the ability to get monsters lost which they do not have the ability to kill, I think....

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Popps this has happened forever...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • OrdoviciaOrdovicia Posts: 36
    Yeah I know the situation you describe. I have seen this for years actually. In fact, I have seen this happen and the mob comes back to me, after leaving it in a similar fashion you described, and isn't attacking and sticks to me like its on follow. I usually either then attack it to stop the odd no-attack follow or leave the instance area again.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Breaking agro before you recall fixes this.  Invis (by spell or potion), or area peace are a couple ways to break the agro.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Lol I've only noticed this happening for 18 years. Please debate though...
    vortex said:
    No no these are special summons dispelling beast ...
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    As has been stated, this is mob behavior that has been in game for many years. If a mob is aggro'd on you, it will find you when you return, although it won't attack until you interact with it in some way. Before you recall, invis to break the aggro.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Merus said:
    Breaking agro before you recall fixes this.  Invis (by spell or potion), or area peace are a couple ways to break the agro.
    That is what I do before I recall.... I always inviso and then recall to buy time since I run protection... but it did not help to break aggro....
    popps said:
    Merus said:
    That is what I do before I recall.... I always inviso and then recall to buy time since I run protection... but it did not help to break aggro....
    So despite everyone including a mod saying this has always happened and how to fix it you will continue to debate? 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2022
    Also, if you are being chased anywhere in UO and recall out, if you recall back into the area, whatever was chasing you before makes a beeline for you moving twice as fast as it was before.  Use invis. all the time to break the lock.  Works like a charm even with paras but with those you have to be a fairly long way from them before you invis.  
    Note paras being attacked by others at these kinds of events will often single you out if you join the fray.  At least they single me out.  Sometimes think they can sense the weakest player.  Most normal stuff stays focused on what ever it was fighting first when I join the fight but paras can change targets.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Arnold7 said:
    Also, if you are being chased anywhere in UO and recall out, if you recall back into the area, whatever was chasing you before makes a beeline for you moving twice as fast as it was before.  Use invis. all the time to break the lock.  Works like a charm even with paras but with those you have to be a fairly long way from them before you invis.  
    Note paras being attacked by others at these kinds of events will often single you out if you join the fray.  At least they single me out.  Sometimes think they can sense the weakest player.  Most normal stuff stays focused on what ever it was fighting first when I join the fight but paras can change targets.
    Sometimes think they can sense the weakest player. 

I am really starting to think that there might be some code about that.... with several players' characters around that are alive, I noticed that, if a ghost resurrects in the area, most likely, the MoB will disregard the characters alive and target right away the character which just resurrected....

With obvious results, often.... since a character thatjust resurrected is usually low in health....
    Please let's lock this before I respond to his nonsense 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited May 2022
     :D 

Monsters like to res kill.  It's because you are a new target.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2022
    McDougle said:
    Too late, you already did. Doh!! now you made me respond!
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    vortex said:
    Now we know how often he plays.  This happens anywhere and soo often. Find a color Hiryu you want, recall back to drop off your pet, come back and its chasing you at warp speed.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Actually this thread has a discussion that will be quite useful to newer players.  We all know about going invisible to break the lock but newer players don’t have a clue.  I started out as a mage and learned about invis  early on but only mages can cast that spell.  Other newer players would not know about invisibility potions because I don’t believe NPCs sell those.  You need a special Heartwood quest recipe scroll to make them.  For newer players that do their research on the internet this discussion will explain a lot.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    McDougle said:
    Too late, you already did. Doh!! now you made me respond!

:D
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2022
    Monsters are persistent, like how someone persistently target warriors in this forum. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    Back in the day when hiryu were 1st introduced & everyone had to tame some this speed hacking monster glitch was hysterical. Every time a critter, any critter, is aggro’d on a player and that player changes servers via recall, gate, crossing serverlines, etc,... that critter gains incredible speed of movement. That speed of movement is directed toward the original player until the critter re-aggros something else.

One of the hiryu spawns is just a few screens west of a serverline. Enter the trolls.... folks would aggro a hiryu, run across the serverline and inviso. Since, at that time, there were dozens of players trying to tame hiryu it wouldnt take but 20-30secs for a hiryu to retarget now w/ its new found speed of Mercury. Within mins the entire area was littered with the corpses of dismounted tamers that had no hope of outrunning winged death.... HyStErIcAL ;)
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “This bug has already been officially reported October 2018
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/2475/please-fix-the-monsters-following-me-while-i-am-stealthed-bug

and again 
    November 2018
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/2784/mobs-following-while-stealthed#latest

If you have any additional information please add to first thread”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.