Could Monsters' dispelling summons be toned down some ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

Tamers' pets cannot be dispelled.

Warriors have nothing that can be dispelled.

Spellcasters, which are usually ranged combat characters, instead, rely quite often on summons for their combat effectiveness. Summons, which cost mana to be cast, not to mention the casting time delay...

If Monsters can dispel spellcasters' Summons "that" easily, this often results in Mages being way more disadvantaged as other Templates, in their ability to fight Monsters.

I am fine with Monsters being able to dispel Summons, it is only that, to my opinion, it is way too easy for Monsters to dispel Summons, as I see it....

It should be possible, but, only, a fraction of the times it now seems possible to be, so as to permit to spellcasting Templates not to be so much disadvantaged as compared to other Templates...

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
     direct damage problem solved 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Use a magery class mastery - The higher the skill and the mastery; the harder it is to have your summons dispelled (and they also receive some HP). Problem solved.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Mages fight differently from most other characters.  I use energy vortex a lot to keep monsters busy while I kill them using direct damage spells or death ray.  If you invis, the monster usually will forget about you on concentrate on the summons opening the door for you to kill it.  But some monsters, for example dragons, can dispel my EV with ease, but I still routinely kill those using a hit and run tech.  Know it’s frustrating with the dragon paras but I don’t try to solo those.  Not sure a mage without some other skill can.  Usually, help other players to finish them.  Game is set up to provide offsetting disadvantages for each class of player so don’t expect things to change in this area.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    All the players trying to target mobs hate your summons.

Mage Tamer is the advanced mage template.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JamesJames Posts: 81
    edited May 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Use a magery class mastery - The higher the skill and the mastery; the harder it is to have your summons dispelled (and they also receive some HP). Problem solved.
    I run Legendary Mysticism with Mastery III, EV's and RC's are dispelled instantly on most of the Paragon's and a lot of the Greater Dragons in the Fey of Wrath event.
    James said:
    keven2002 said:
    I run Legendary Mysticism with Mastery III, EV's and RC's are dispelled instantly on most of the Paragon's and a lot of the Greater Dragons in the Fey of Wrath event.
    Direct damage there i solved the problem again the paragons dispelling is no different than warriors being unable to life leech adapt and move on or try another template. I'm using my disco tamer with an rc ice mite and can solo all the paragons 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited May 2022
    keven2002 said:
    That is a good tip, thanks, unfortunately, I need to run the Spellweaving Mastery, other spellcasters probably need to use the Mysticism Mastery or Necro Mastery so, for quite a number of spellcaster characters, using the Magery Mastery to have their Summons be less likely to be dispelled, might not be possible....

I am not saying that MoBs should not dispell summons, only, that now it is way too easy and too frequent to see one's own Summons get dispelled with consequent waste of one's own mana, issues resulting with casting timers, especially if one runs Protection, and all that.

Personally, I think that Summons should, in general, be made more difficult to be dispelled by MoBs....
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    That is a good tip, thanks, unfortunately, I need to run the Spellweaving Mastery, other spellcasters probably need to use the Mysticism Mastery or Necro Mastery so, for quite a number of spellcaster characters, using the Magery Mastery to have their Summons be less likely to be dispelled, might not be possible....

Enchanted Summons is a passive mastery with all magic masteries.

popps said:
    keven2002 said:

I am not saying that MoBs should not dispell summons, only, that now it is way too easy and too frequent to see one's own Summons get dispelled with consequent waste of one's own mana, issues resulting with casting timers, especially if one runs Protection, and all that.

Personally, I think that Summons should, in general, be made more difficult to be dispelled by MoBs....
    You choose to run weaver mastery not have too...
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:

You should know by now that UO is all about choices. If you need to use one mastery over another that is your choice. You shouldn't get an added benefit of that mastery just because you want it. Your other choice is to use the tamer that you have posted about (not getting enough drops in every other events). Again it's all about choice.
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:

Indeed..... yet, the cost of seeing one's own Summons be dispelled like 9 out of 10 times and in a spit second after they are summoned, seems to me too excessive.... the ability of MoBs to dispel Summons should be toned down, me thinks.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I use mostly the mage mastery.  Summons might last longer but have not noticed much of of difference in the summons being dispelled.  Death Ray while holding a slayer book is very effective.
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:

Indeed..... yet, the cost of seeing one's own Summons be dispelled like 9 out of 10 times and in a spit second after they are summoned, seems to me too excessive.... the ability of MoBs to dispel Summons should be toned down, me thinks.
    Again I point out life leech doesn't work for warriors adjust nothing here needs to change 
    I'm confused. Aren't those 20 blue things in the pictures from Atlantic, EVs.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2022
    I am getting sick of your comparison using warrior again and again. After removing life leech he is worse than any other template.

Warrior melee requires direct contact with all monsters.
    - They don't stand at a safe distance.
    - They don't have unlimited HP unlike pets and summons (you can spam summon all u want, see current event)
    - Equipment wear and tear due to direct contact.
    - Slowest to attack other monsters at a distance.
    - Often no chance and first to die against the toughest boss and monsters while mages and tamers hide behind eating pop corns.

Same comparison, same answer, 100000 times popps.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited May 2022
    Seth said:
    I am getting sick of your comparison using warrior again and again. After removing life leech he is worse than any other template.

Warrior melee requires direct contact with all monsters.
    - They don't stand at a safe distance.
    - They don't have unlimited HP unlike pets and summons (you can spam summon all u want, see current event)
    - Equipment wear and tear due to direct contact.
    - Slowest to attack other monsters at a distance.
    - Often no chance and first to die against the toughest boss and monsters while mages and tamers hide behind eating pop corns.

Same comparison, same answer, 100000 times popps.

BTW Warriors are Not Summons. They got Nothing to fight for them. 

The only comparison u can make that is closest is pets versus summon.

Summon vs Warrior... Why not Summons VS Popps?
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    I hear using begging in the monster before casting a summon distracts it and summons last longer.
    Anyway, summons and pets are both better if not as good as life leech. 

Warriors needed life leech to tank, or else they require another buddy to heal.

Summons are unlimited, expendable tanks and fighters which can be called upon anytime to fight for the mages. There is absolutely zero burden, no wear and tear, no training, no loyalty to take care of.

Pets being the tank, so the tamers can sit behind and heal continuously.

Stop nerfing life leech because warriors are tank themselves! If you keep blocking life leech then remove summon!
    EVs are so pre pub 97.  (The pet revamp)

vortex said:
    I hear using begging in the monster before casting a summon distracts it and summons last longer.
     :D 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    As @keven2002 suggested, a magery class mastery helps.. Spellweaving is such a class. The shared spell being 'enchanted summoning'

Assuming the spellweaving mastery used is at level 3, then the protection from dispel is already in place.
    I have, myself, witnessed spellweavers using summoned reapers at the event to good effect, also mystics using rising colossus. EVs, being only 2 slot rather than 5 slot, are a weaker summoning and thus dispelled more easily.

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    This Troll will Whine about anything. IBTL
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited May 2022
    Mariah said:
    As @ keven2002 suggested, a magery class mastery helps.. Spellweaving is such a class. The shared spell being 'enchanted summoning'

Assuming the spellweaving mastery used is at level 3, then the protection from dispel is already in place.
    I have, myself, witnessed spellweavers using summoned reapers at the event to good effect, also mystics using rising colossus. EVs, being only 2 slot rather than 5 slot, are a weaker summoning and thus dispelled more easily.

Then, the problem of MoBs dispelling Summons must be even worse, because I do have a Spellweaving Mastery 3 (as well as 120 Spellweaving and a 6 Focus) and, yet, my Reaper Summons are quite easily dispelled by several MoBs and, mind you, not even Paragon ones !!

And, each time I cast a Summon Reaper all for nothing because it gets dispelled shortly after, I have wasted not only the 50 Mana cost to cast it, but also wasted the casting time to cast as well as the cast recovery time spent before I can cast something else... all for nothing, because MoBs can dispel it too easily, too often with a little dispel spell which takes little mana, little cast time and little cast recovery time to them (besides, some MoBs have tons of Mana ....).
    See... this is what happens when we have a broken event. Some people have way too much time on their hands because they aren't playing said event and they feel the need to post the same nonsense. 

IBTL.
    edited May 2022
    @Kyronix
    It's unfair for players who can have 10 EJ accounts spam 20 EVs standing at one location. Even the paragons find it hard to dispel 20 EVs. 

Please add wider area mass dispel and cooldown timer for summons.

If not, then give melee warriors back the ability to life leech paragons because they are the truest hardworking dude that run every inch of your dynamic event to kill every critter.
    Seth said:
    @ Kyronix
    It's unfair for players who can have 10 EJ accounts spam 20 EVs standing at one location. Even the paragons find it hard to dispel 20 EVs. 

If not, then give melee warriors back the ability to life leech paragons because they are the truest hardworking dude that run every inch of your dynamic event to kill every critter.
    I'd suggest sending the broken life leech back in a wave of summons despelling
    McDougle said:
    Seth said:
    @ Kyronix

I'd suggest sending the broken life leech back in a wave of summons despelling
    Definite +1
    @Rorschach - More toxic trolling. Please lock this thread too.