A "crazy" idea: leave these temporary ToTs, Champ spawns and Quests in the game permanently

usernameusername Posts: 687
edited April 2022 in General Discussions
What a crazy idea: leave the content they added that has temporary attainable gear rewards in to the game permanently, with one caveat: make the turn-in items and reward items "Account Bound". 

The "Account Bound" preserves the rarity and value of the original items that dropped and rewards collected during this time yet allows people that may have missed a previous (like the Doom ToT many years ago) a chance to get these items themselves. This could potentially be taken a bit further and make all the gear "Character Bound" as well, but, we won't be discussing this here.

The Devs have stated they want to revamp old dungeons and give them purpose, well, they have with the ToTs, but only temporarily. Here's a perfect way to make it permanent and all ToT dungeons, past and future, relevant forever.

No, I don't want these eggs or seasonal stuff on 24/7/365, but, quests like the Yukiko Glass Earrings, these temporary champ spawns with rewards off the final boss, and all of the past ToTs... why not? The seasonal rewards are already being done with Krampus/Halloween content every year coming back. Could even remove all the non-gear/deco items if we're concerned with that.

Why would we ever want less things to do in game?
  1. Would you like all past Tot, Quests and Champ spawns be added permanently w/ 'Account Bound' rewards19 votes
    1. Yes
      36.84%
    2. No (explain in comments)
      63.16%
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Think all of us voting No just really hate account\shard\character bound items. Also, eventually everyone will have enough of these items and the dungeons will be dead again.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited April 2022
    Marge said:
    Think all of us voting No just really hate account\shard\character bound items. Also, eventually everyone will have enough of these items and the dungeons will be dead again.
    I agree but they're already shard bound....... at least my proposal they could be transferred if they remain account bound. Just another option. People are still doing blackthorns dungeon how many years later? I don't think that is a valid point.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited April 2022
    Then we would go back to the old routine.  Play Oct to Jan get everything the year had to offer. Shards are dead Feb thru Sept.  Just like it was before we got more events starting with the 20th anniv arc.

Other shards besides Atl have had players year round instead of just a few months.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2022
    Pawain said:
    Then we would go back to the old routine.  Play Oct to Jan get everything the year had to offer. Shards are dead Feb thru Sept.  Just like it was before we got more events starting with the 20th anniv arc.

Other shards besides Atl have had players year round instead of just a few months.
    Right, the old routine: we get a champ spawn, a quest, and a tot 2-3 times a year and nothing between. THE OLD ROUTINE? Half my guild doesn't play/sub during these lulls cause there's nothing to do.

edited April 2022
    username said:
    Pawain said:

Right, the old routine: we get a champ spawn, a quest, and a tot 2-3 times a year and nothing between. THE OLD ROUTINE? Half my guild doesn't play/sub during these lulls cause there's nothing to do.
    Then how would making them permanent help?  They could take a year long vacation from UO and then do it all for a month and go away again.  Eventually we would have 30 spawn locations that can't be used for what they are now.

They are bored because these last too long, not short enough then on to the next one.

They spent a year designing the dynamic content, Yes we will be doing those for a while.  Better get used to it.

Go to all shards EM events if bored.  Those are designed for a one time use.
    edited April 2022
    Pawain said:
    username said:
    Pawain said:

Then how would making them permanent help?  They could take a year long vacation from UO and then do it all for a month and go away again.  Eventually we would have 30 spawn locations that can't be used for what they are now.

They are bored because these last too long, not short enough then on to the next one.
    If you think you can collect everything from the previous ToTs for multiple characters, and, let's face it most people play multiple shards these days, in a single month, you're crazy. Most players can't collect everything from current ToTs in the 2 months they're around. The better question is why are we allowing, in several instances, BIS items to be released temporarily? Purely deco items, fine, but BIS gear?

It's literally content. How can more content = bad? Please answer, because you're arguing:
    1. More content=bad and
    2. Delete old content cause everyone's (you) collected everything from it already

Any player can do it at any time, any returning player WILL do old ToT content for the items. So what if you take a vacation and OH MY GOD ACTUALLY HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME TO GET THE GEAR! THE HUMANITY! They aren't forced to RMT and buy the items LOL. Hidden agenda you've got there or what?

Do the new ToT for tradable/sellable items, and in the 3-4+ months between, do old ToTs as something to do that hasn't been in the game for 20 years. Just because you don't want to do it there are heaps of players that would do old ToT even if they couldn't sell the item. Just look at blackthorn dungeon, people still do this routinely for gear for new characters, so any point you make falls apart.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Or put them in the black market;)
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Hopefully the devs can view the number of accounts who log in during the events vs not during.

They are the only ones that can tell us if their method is working or not.

I'll play either way.

It is sad that polls here have such low number of votes.  Hard to argue for an idea with 20 votes total.

Good Luck!
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    username said:

If you think you can collect everything from the previous ToTs for multiple characters, and, let's face it most people play multiple shards these days, in a single month, you're crazy. Most players can't collect everything from current ToTs in the 2 months they're around. 
    Sounds pretty exaggerated to say "most people can't collect in 2 months". Go look at any shard outside of ATL right now for the dynamic champ spawn; they are all dead stuck on level 1 for almost the entire day and we aren;t even at 30 days. The same thing happened with the last spawn; even on ATL during the last week or 2 of the last spawn there were only like 4-5 people actually still working it.

Same could be said of the ToT. While a month might be too short, I think 2 months is enough (or slightly more than enough) to get what you need. I'd argue these events are not designed for you to outfit every single character you own with every reward. They are designed to draw people in for the time they are active to build traffic. Just like everything else currently running in this game, people would eventually get bored of them and stop doing them.

As it stands right now (based on my lack of desire for decoration), I could of let my subscription lapse from Jan until today (almost 4 months) and really wouldn't have missed out on anything. I agree with @Pawain that by allowing these things to be permanent, you just take the urgency out of doing these things and people won't need to sub for 9 months out of the year.

I voted no because I feel the exact opposite of the poll; I think the events should be very limited in time so that it's something like 30days for the champ / 45days for the quest / 45 days for the ToT BUT have maybe a 2-4 week break and then jump in the the next set of dynamic events. That would encourage people to keep playing all year round. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Don’t mind shard bound since it’s unlikely I will ever travel to another shard.  But I think account bound is too restrictive.  The only way to make enough gold to get what you need is to have a vendor selling those hard to get items.  Would not mind if some of those quests, like Yukio’s earrings quest, were offered yearly or year round so players could get those items that really come in handy but not sure the UO operating system could handle very many of those.  This game is based on a very old operating system.  What you are suggesting may be beyond its capabilities.
  • KazKaz Posts: 123
    I dont know that its reasonable to argue that there is not enough to do in the game.  There is so damn much to get after.  These limited ToT style events keep things fresh.  If they were running full tilt all the time, well, they simply wouldn't be exciting or fresh.  I know I wouldn't play as hard or as often if they were running as permanent features.

But truth be told: these events were scheduled close together at one point. And people complained that it was too fast, too intense, they wanted to get back to normal for a bit longer in between.  Now people are complaining again, too much time between them.

Some things to do when ToT isn't active:
    Peerles (like 10 different encounters)
    Shadowguard
    Underwater
    Crafting
    Medusa
    Despise
    Champ spawns
    Shrine wars
    Scalis
    Charbydis
    Corgul
    EM Events (like 70%+ of the month theres an event)
    PvP
    Doom Gauntlet
    Pirating (Black Market)
    Blackthorns
    Exodus
    ... that should get your started, and Im sure theres more.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    The complaint is more all these things need updated drops to be made worth doing again....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited April 2022
    Kaz said:
    I dont know that its reasonable to argue that there is not enough to do in the game.  There is so damn much to get after.  These limited ToT style events keep things fresh.  If they were running full tilt all the time, well, they simply wouldn't be exciting or fresh.  I know I wouldn't play as hard or as often if they were running as permanent features.

But truth be told: these events were scheduled close together at one point. And people complained that it was too fast, too intense, they wanted to get back to normal for a bit longer in between.  Now people are complaining again, too much time between them.

Shadowguard
    Underwater
    Crafting
    Medusa
    Despise
    Champ spawns
    Shrine wars
    Scalis
    Charbydis
    Corgul
    PvP
    Doom Gauntlet
    Pirating (Black Market)
    Blackthorns
    Exodus
    Agreed there are lots to do, and agree with McDougle there needs some update to useful drops.

What I don't like is the lack of rewards after each long fight, since the RNG to get the top arties are so low. Maybe it's too much to ask for every 3 or 4 hours spent we are expecting a reward.

Tot, Blackthorn style gives sure-drop minor arties after each fight. Instant gratification.

So why not have points or minor arties to collect for all of the above events, which we can then exchange for powerful arties. If I don't get the undead cameo or mini soulforge I need then I get 3 minor arties which can collect or use to exchange or raffle for prize.

Someone is going to mention cleanup points but those rewards are also in need of an update. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Kaz said:
    Shadowguard
    Underwater
    Crafting
    Medusa
    Despise
    Champ spawns
    Shrine wars
    Scalis
    Charbydis
    Corgul
    PvP
    Doom Gauntlet
    Pirating (Black Market)
    Blackthorns
    Exodus

@Kaz - I agree with you 100% that these ToT events keep things fresh and there is technically a ton of things to do in game but I do think there should be less time in between encounters. Reason for me would be that the majority of what you listed doesn't actually give me what I want for drops at this point (except for maybe Shadowguard / Exodus) so doing them is more of a chore.

That said, since January I've been so bored at some points that I have revisited places like Doom / Blackthorns / Underwater / Scalis (ATL has public ones weekly) / pirating but even these things become tedious and boring after a few days because I already have all of the items I need from these things.
    McDougle said:
    The complaint is more all these things need updated drops to be made worth doing again....
    Well said. Especially for things like crafting/despise/shrine wars/Doom/black market... players who have been doing these for the past X years need some new / updated rewards to make it worthwhile.
  • FoosFoos Posts: 81
    No, not a fan.  I'm more a fan of re-releasing items during seasonal events.  In other words if an item was at one time available in a spring/summer event it should be available in the next spring/summer event.  But items should continue to be shard bound.  I'm a little tired as is of all the stuff that's farmed on my server being moved by chars with transfer shields to benefit Atlantic.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Foos said:
    No, not a fan.  I'm more a fan of re-releasing items during seasonal events.  In other words if an item was at one time available in a spring/summer event it should be available in the next spring/summer event.  But items should continue to be shard bound.  I'm a little tired as is of all the stuff that's farmed on my server being moved by chars with transfer shields to benefit Atlantic.
    Fully agree on this. It's always seemed to be the logical approach.
  • KazKaz Posts: 123
    Absolutely agree on the updated loot / drop rates for old encounters.  
    Some don't even need new named artifacts, even a tweak to their general loot table so that they produce higher quality standard gear would be amazing. 
  • If I had a plat for every time a player - any player - has asked for updated loot tables for old quests and encounters ... I'd be so UO rich. :D I can only conclude that updating loot tables is complicated and not at the top of the priority list for the devs.

That said ... No. No. NO! to making temporary content permanent. There are plenty of permanent quests and encounters in UO to do in between dynamic events. The other things are nice temporary time sinks to shake things up and keep things fresh. (As many others have already said.)
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    YES DO IT
    Making this stuff permeant will drive down the prices is the major reason people say NO.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    An event that should be made semi-permanent is the Invasions. Limit it to 1 week every other month.  And it automatically despawns after an hour.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    TimSt said:
    An event that should be made semi-permanent is the Invasions. Limit it to 1 week every other month.  And it automatically despawns after an hour.
    That event needs tweaking. It should not  reward based only on the mage generals that appear at the start of the invasion.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • YES DO IT
    Making this stuff permeant will drive down the prices is the major reason people say NO.

You do realize "permanent" content requires massive server space - that's why stuff like the Invasions and these champ spawns and such are temporary? Nothing is infinite, and not everything has to do with "gold" or the "market" in UO. I personally couldn't care less about most of the rewards for these ToT events or temporary events.

Most UO players are the same: we do the events until we get the things we want personally for our characters.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    YES DO IT

You do realize "permanent" content requires massive server space - that's why stuff like the Invasions and these champ spawns and such are temporary? Nothing is infinite, and not everything has to do with "gold" or the "market" in UO. I personally couldn't care less about most of the rewards for these ToT events or temporary events.

Most UO players are the same: we do the events until we get the things we want personally for our characters.
    You do understand that the servers are in the cloud and please do not use the word "most" UO players when very few players even post here or on the other forum.
  • You do understand that the servers are in the cloud and please do not use the word "most" UO players when very few players even post here or on the other forum.

1) Just become something is "in the cloud" doesn't mean there isn't hardware somewhere that has to support that data.

2) Your second point? Just proves my point about "most" players doing content for themselves and not to make gold.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie