I keep seeing posts with ICQ  I do not know anyone in the real world who uses ICQ anymore, and I started using it when it first came out.  Are we all stuck in the last century and that is why I keep seeing "Icq me"?  Surely by now, there is a better means besides a chat client no one I know has used since the mid 2000's  I got facebook messenger, whatsapp, skype, 10 different email addresses, my corporate email, Discord, Teamspeak.  Can traders pick one of those please instead of something that pretty much everyone else stopped using years ago?

Comments

• InLorInLor Posts: 354
    edited May 2018
    But "everyone" in UO does use ICQ still, even if many are also on Discord. You don't actually have to use the ICQ client. Install Trillian, which allows many chat protocols/accounts to be used, including Facebook. Also, Discord doesn't seem to have an option to be a viable compact asynchronous messenger like ICQ or chat clients that support it like Trillian.

Though almost all things you mention are not appropriate for gaming, unless you're personal friends (facebook/whatsapp/skype, etc.)... a bit of a useless list.

A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • HonkwompHonkwomp Posts: 44
    I  guess there is some irony in someone playing a 20 year old game griping about an obsolete messenger, but I see it in use no where else

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    I use pidgin for icq. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    I loaded it up on my phone and was surprised to see so many old players I forgot about. Also it showed when they last were on ICQ, which only a few still used it recently.  
  • HonkwompHonkwomp Posts: 44
    I had a 5 digit ICQ number, that is how long I used it. But it has been so long since I fired it up, I don't even have the email account that I need to recover it.  I guess I won't be buying or selling much if I have to install another program. 

• SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    If you can guess your old password thats all you need to do then.  The trouble I see with ICQ is changing your password, it wants your phone number to do it.   
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I stopped using it when Russia bought it.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Honkwomp said:
    I  guess there is some irony in someone playing a 20 year old game griping about an obsolete messenger, but I see it in use no where else

It's far from obsolete. It's very popular with people selling stolen credit card information from some of the group chats I've seen under the "explore" tab. 
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    A lot of people have played UO for a long time and they always had ICQ so they keep it because friends know where to find them, doesn't mean they don't also have something else, like Skype or Discord as well. 
    I do agree though that it became less popular after the Russians bought it.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662

I use ICQ cause that's what I started out using. I was told about discord but didn't try to download it til lately. It will download on my phone but not on my computer. so I guess I'm stuck with ICQ

• GraceGrace Posts: 148

I use ICQ cause that's what I started out using. I was told about discord but didn't try to download it til lately. It will download on my phone but not on my computer. so I guess I'm stuck with ICQ

You don't download it on your computer, I made that mistake too. Just open up the discord page and log in.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Grace said:

You don't download it on your computer, I made that mistake too. Just open up the discord page and log in.
    Using push to talk won't work in the browser last time I tried. 
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    100% in agreement with original post. I use all the same things too. I'm baffled as to why ICQ is still so dominant but I suppose it does tie in with why people have stuck with a game where the client drives one's CPU to the max, when not logged on, still!

I still use ICQ purely because.. that's what other people use. I stopped using it for almost a decade but not everyone is going to switch, too, unfortunately, so when I started playing UO again.. well.. I had to use it. Mad - but I am a part of the madness too!