Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    Sux for some vendor houses.  They deactivated them because of complaints about that.  I guess they forgot.  

Could make them not cast till attacked.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Always repairing things that is huh?

Things that we keep bringing up and care about are ignored.

This typical UOish
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Spellbook straps,ghost mobs??
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    Spellbook straps,ghost mobs??
    Reapers affects every player on a daily basis, definitely a top priority.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    Maybe Reapers will be part of the Wrath of the Fey and will need to cast...
    -Arroth
    edited April 2022
    Maybe...
    But definitely the spellbook strap and ghost and targeting bugs will be encountered during the event and everything else.
    edited April 2022
    No someone told the devs that they did not cast at a meet and greet and the devs did not know that. So they changed them back.

They have not cast for many years.
  • Pawain said:
    No someone told the devs that they did not cast at a meet and greet and the devs did not know that. So they changed them back.

I heard many theories on why they quit casting but the two main ones were: 
    • A Z-Axis issue 
    • Reaper form 
    I do not know why they don't cast but it will be nice to see again. getting insta-fried while mining in northern Minoc should be a thing again.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,299
    Really don’t see the point.  They have never cast as long as I have been playing.  They are just a part of the scenery that’s useful to gargoyles training throwing.  Really don’t see any purpose in adding casting spells to their ability.  Maybe, if they provided something of value when killed it might make a difference.
    Unfortunately, this discussion only confirms those negative comments i have seen in other discussions relating to the developers lack of knowledge about how this game is played.  Anyone playing it would have known they just stand in place waving their arms around.  Have played a lot of games and except for one that usually crashed about five minutes in UO has far more glitches than any other game I have ever played and I have played a lot of them.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 240
    reapers casting is a good thing I had no idea they didn't.  they used to be best way to 120 resist pre aos
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    reapers casting is a good thing I had no idea they didn't.  they used to be best way to 120 resist pre aos
    Except they changed which spells have a resist check ages ago.  All the flamestrikes and ebolts in the game won’t raise your resist anymore.  There was virtually no downside to them not casting.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Arnold7 said:
    Really don’t see the point.  They have never cast as long as I have been playing.  They are just a part of the scenery that’s useful to gargoyles training throwing.  Really don’t see any purpose in adding casting spells to their ability.  Maybe, if they provided something of value when killed it might make a difference.
    Unfortunately, this discussion only confirms those negative comments i have seen in other discussions relating to the developers lack of knowledge about how this game is played.  Anyone playing it would have known they just stand in place waving their arms around.  Have played a lot of games and except for one that usually crashed about five minutes in UO has far more glitches than any other game I have ever played and I have played a lot of them.
    When they were created, they were spellcasters. That was the original design, so having them cast again is reverting them to how they were intended to be. 

Of course we all got used to them just standing there not doing much for the last decade or whatever, but I think them going back to being spellcasters is great. The general environment needs some more danger as it is a lot easier to gear yourself up with a more defense compared to how things were when reapers were casting spells in the past.  I remember them being pretty nasty and would even teleport (iirc).

It is a drag if you have vendors near reapers though, I agree with that. Not to mention how annoying it is when you get the combat timer activated on your character when all you are trying to do is get some shopping done. Of course getting killed in the process of shopping is also an annoyance. 

Also want to add that this game has existed for a long time and has passed through different developers and studios. If I remember right, I recall reading that some of the original design documentation has even been discarded. So I do think that the current dev team not knowing every single thing about the game and the details of every single decision made over the course of 25 years is understandable. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,791
    No outcry yet about the other half of the hot fix: drowning of non-paralithode pets. Morbid thought is have their corpses just float around the screen.
    TimSt said:
    No outcry yet about the other half of the hot fix: drowning of non-paralithode pets. Morbid thought is have their corpses just float around the screen.
    It was made to get rid of the pets that players left there by logging off down there. So, it will only happen one time per player that did this.  Bring your own drinking water for a while.
  • Pawain said:

I heard many theories on why they quit casting but the two main ones were: 
    • A Z-Axis issue 
    • Reaper form 
    I do not know why they don't cast but it will be nice to see again. getting insta-fried while mining in northern Minoc should be a thing again.

I know quoting myself may seem narcissist, but I just wanted to say that I logged on to Atlantic after server up and sacrificed a Lord title to feel some of that old school feeling. went to Northern Minoc mines and around the bend where the reapers group and it didn't take long to get a deathrobe. Ahhhhhh, the good old days.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    dvvid said:

Also want to add that this game has existed for a long time and has passed through different developers and studios. If I remember right, I recall reading that some of the original design documentation has even been discarded. So I do think that the current dev team not knowing every single thing about the game and the details of every single decision made over the course of 25 years is understandable. 
    I agree with you on this as I've played hit or miss for most of the 25 years and even things I used to know I might have forgotten if I don't use them so I don't blame them for not knowing every piece of how the game works.

That said, not knowing how reapers (which are literally everywhere AND were included in level 3 of "the guardian" spawn just last year) work is kind of like someone who plays the game not knowing mongbats are brown. If you actually play the game (and do testing) you are bound to notice that reapers didn't cast a single spell. 
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 300
    edited April 2022
    good thing about this reaper fix, as I figured, is it actually fixed the Harrower second form not casting , so after 15 years Harrower 2nd form is now casting necromancy + magery again and is not a spongebob target anymore...
    Too bad it's loot still sucks tho and didnt get revamped.... maybe one day the devs will listen more to the player base....
    This Reaper spawned next to my keep and killed me while I was on the roof before I had a chance to even move.  I had to have my second account res and invis me.

@Mesanna could you have the devs tweak the reaper spell casting to not target people in houses?
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,387
    Was better broken if that’s what you call it 
    I feel it had been fixed and is now broken again ;) 
    edited April 2022
    If this is where I think it is at least one reaper is always spawned right next to that building.  Lots of reapers spawn in that area making it a great place to raise weapon skills.
    The game really needs a proper voting of the type of fixes. Granted there are many bugs, exploits and issues, they will never satisfy the majority because they decide on which one is top on the list. Bugs can go on for years and until the game dies.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 490
    edited April 2022
    TimSt said:
    This Reaper spawned next to my keep and killed me while I was on the roof before I had a chance to even move.  I had to have my second account res and invis me.

@ Mesanna could you have the devs tweak the reaper spell casting to not target people in houses?
    Where's your body? LOL

IMO Reapers being dangerous again and well... reaping... is a good thing.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
    I'm actually glad that I sold my fel castle.
    I always had reapers spawning next to it.
    And they would target me through the walls.
    I would be on the middle floor, with no line of sight.
    And I would get flagged for combat.
    @Feigr I am standing on it.  This is where I was standing when I was attacked and killed by the reaper.  My second account character barely had time to invis me before I almost got killed again in the same spot. Reapers have powerful magery attacks.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    The most feared attack was them teleporting after you...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
    TimSt said:
    @ Feigr I am standing on it.  This is where I was standing when I was attacked and killed by the reaper.  My second account character barely had time to invis me before I almost got killed again in the same spot. Reapers have powerful magery attacks.
    maybe you should place some of the new tall hedges on that ledge.
    Then let us know if they can cast through it.

@Cinderella, I was thinking of using hedges as well if the devs do not fix the reapers ability to attack people in their housing.  Hedges would fit in with the gardening theme I have on my keep's roof.
    edited April 2022
    Just don’t see what contribution reapers make to the game.  Some thought went into creating them, some thought went into the reasoning that that led to their casting ability being turned off, but appears very little thought went into turning it back on.  This game’s culture which now appears to be “that’s the player’s problem” whenever something does not work as intended or goes wrong always strikes me as being rather uncaring about the player.  Really, the answer here should be “we will fix that or make the player whole again.”  Reapers cast pretty well and respawn quickly.  Having to kill one every minute or so whenever I am home trying to do something or shopping would get old pretty quickly.  Don’t have reapers near my home but do have another monster that comes around and have to kill it once in awhile but don’t consider a game flaw because once i kill it the area is cleared for a long time, and if a shopper runs into it most should be able to do the same.  
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 490
    edited April 2022
    Except it is working as intended, now.  Reapers aren't oak trees.  They're reapers.  Video games need dangerous monsters.  If you're getting hit through the walls of your home, that's the bug, not the reapers.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Feigr said:
    Except it is working as intended, now.  Reapers aren't oak trees.  They're reapers.  Video games need dangerous monsters.  If you're getting hit through the walls of your home, that's the bug, not the reapers.
    Well, it started by altering the reapers, so yeah, they are the bug. NO ONE should be hit inside their home, EVER!