Completely new player seeks advice.

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited March 2022
    Funny how LS and LA are in different zones when the US shore of Lake Superior is in the Central zone and Austin is in the Central Zone.
    My ping is 49ish for the east and 59 for the west.  But I'm 90 miles due south of Austin.  I guess the server is not there,  It should have been in RL Lord British's Castle it is on Travis Lake in Austin.  Central Time zone was recommended to use LS in 97.  That is why I am there.

@Sillyturtle ; Make a variation of Mage/Tamer,  a Melee fighter, and an Archer or Thrower.
    Those will cover a lot of the basics.

Then you can choose what you like and modify them to make them more effective.

Or you can press the easy button and go with a Sampire.

Not sure why someone above said a mage suit is expensive since the most common loot items are mage based.  Do 3 Scalis, or Corgul and you have a near max mage suit.  Or maybe they meant pet scrolls.  You just need 105s or 110s for a starter pet.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pawain said:
    Funny how LS and LA are in different zones when the US shore of Lake Superior is in the Central zone and Austin is in the Central Zone.
    My ping is 49ish for the east and 59 for the west.  But I'm 90 miles due south of Austin.  I guess the server is not there,  It should have been in RL Lord British's Castle it is on Travis Lake in Austin.  Central Time zone was recommended to use LS in 97.  That is why I am there.

@ Sillyturtle  Make a variation of Mage/Tamer,  a Melee fighter, and an Archer or Thrower.

Not sure why someone above said a mage suit is expensive since the most common loot items are mage based.  Do 3 Scalis, or Corgul and you have a near max mage suit.  Or maybe they meant pet scrolls.  You just need 105s or 110s for a starter pet.
    They were talking SDI suit 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    If they can do Scalis and Corgul they should already have pretty good suits.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Started new three years ago.  You will need to use the internet a lot.  Players passing through New Haven will often talk with you and answer questions you have.  Recommend you start as a mage or a  paladin as those builds are fairly straight forward. Hang out around the banks in Britain and Luna to talk with other players.  I played mostly solo games before coming here.  This is not a solo oriented game.  It’s designed to be played by players working together.  First year can be pretty rough.  Grand master your skills pretty much solo in New Haven.  Once you are comfortable killing the New Haven ettins you can use the moon gate to get out and look around,  But, you advance skill by killing things and New Haven is designed for that.  you will advance fastest there.  Take advantage of your young status to explore when you tire of killing things.  Good luck in the game.  Watch for the special events.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Pawain said:

@ Sillyturtle  Make a variation of Mage/Tamer,  a Melee fighter, and an Archer or Thrower.

That would be me that said that about mages. I would never ever ever recommend a new player start with such an item dependent temp like a SDI mage. 

Atlantic prices (my shard)
    protector of battle mage - 15mil
    yukio - 140mil 
    bracers - 38mil
    jumu - 35mil
    hawkwind - 26mil

These items are 65 SDI that would put a new player at such a tremendous disadvantage that didn't have it. That's not even diving into sdi slayer books. 

Starting with literally any other template he could at least reach caps at a fraction of what an eval mage has to spend to be able to compete. 

Most of us have been playing so long we've forgotten a time when a mil seemed like a lot of gold. 

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    The most powerful character that can kill quite a number of monsters while running around naked is the tamer. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited March 2022
    SDI items have dropped in price. Those are pretty cheap except Yukio which is just 10. You don't have spectors on there which is a cheaper alternative to halo which has dropped considerably. You can get 45+ books from others for free.

Discounting yukios a pair of feudal grips costs more than the whole SDI suit.
    They have gone up to near 200M.

He could not get the earrings and add a hooks shield and spectors or halo.
    I dont use battle mage because of the low resists. Kelp leggings are a cheap SDI item that I have on all my human mages. Elfs have their own legs.

Just a couple of days ago you could sell 200 eggs for 400mil.  Those are less now but at 500k an egg you can make gold still.

The dungeon is coming up. The drop items usually start at 5M per. They stay at that price if the drops are good.

So we have 2 opportunities to make gold right now.

I disagree that it is cheaper to make a sampire than a mage. And SDI is a part of a mage.

Price some 5 dex, 10 stam 10lmc pieces. Especially if hide, studded or bone.
    And have some mana and regens.
    edited March 2022
    You can make a mage tamer like some do and not cast spells, just all kill and invis as needed. I sell a bag of 110 pet scrolls for 15 mil.

The pet is free, just go grab a Cu Sidhe.
    Pawain said:
    You can make a mage tamer like some do and not cast spells, just all kill and invis as needed. I sell a bag of 110 pet scrolls for 15 mil.

The pet is free, just go grab a Cu Sidhe.
    Tamer will always be my recommended starter temp. A mythic token and a couple days casting a mastery anyone will be ready for full play. 

I hate samps too but pound for pound i can achieve the 100di and 1.25 swing cheap and easy using imbued gear and a hatchet/katana for swords and leafblade for fencing. I think i have 5mil total in one of my samps. You just simply can't get high enough SDI to compete for that kind of gold. 

Feudal grips is a luxury but that DI can easily be replaced in jewels, wep and talisman. 

I also didn't include Spectors because of reasonable alts like Kasa and Tal'Keesh. 

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this subject. 
    @Urge actually we agree. A tamer mage is a great starter template.  

The EVs are upgraded to pets and you can start cheap and work up.

I just did not want the OP to think a mage is too expensive. You can start with low SDI and work your way up. 
    Once you have a little gold don’t overlook vendor search.  A few vendors specialize in selling really good pieces at very reasonable and affordable prices.  Vendor’s set their own prices so always compare before you buy.  It is not uncommon, especially for armor and weapon drops
    To be sold over a very wide range of prices.  Sorry for the splitt screen finger slipped

• FoosFoos Posts: 81
    Find a guild, use chat, use discord, use uo stratics as a reference and also uoguide.  Don't try to "win" the game in a month.  Won't be possible with this game.  This is a huge sandbox with 20 years worth of content.  Enjoy.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2022
    Arnold7 said:
    To be sold over a very wide range of prices.  Sorry for the splitt screen finger slipped

You can edit a post by clicking the Gear in the upper right hand corner of your recent post and selecting "edit post" the option is there for 1 hour.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    When you decide a shard give a shout out in Gen Chat, I am sure there are players that will gladly set you up with some starter gear.
    Pawain said:
    @ Urge actually we agree. A tamer mage is a great starter template.  

The EVs are upgraded to pets and you can start cheap and work up.

I just did not want the OP to think a mage is too expensive. You can start with low SDI and work your way up. 
    Yes, you are correct. The mage tamer is very popular and will do the job. It just won't do the job for me.

I'm extremely biased against any eval template for pvm. I've tried it and found other hybrid templates to provide equal to higher damage at a portion of the gold and effort. 

This is why i point everyone towards a discord tamer. Once done with skills, one would only need to worry with upgrading pets and not sdi pieces as well. It's a very simple easy template that will never require a lot of gold to be extremely productive. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    @Sillyturtle have you picked a shard yet