Treasure chest loot upgrade

Does anyone feel like a loot upgrade to treasure chests is a good idea? It seems like the loot was good for a while after the "revamp", but was then (perhaps) "nerfed" a good while back. I run with about 2K luck, but maybe I am just having a LONG run of bad luck. Out of the last 20-30 LvL 7 maps I have done, I have gotten perhaps 5-6 pieces that I thought were really nice. How about some love for the treasure hunters @Bleak @Kyronix . Any possibility of it?
  1. Should there be a change to the loot in treasure chests?22 votes
    1. Yes, it needs a major upgrade.
      63.64%
    2. Yes, perhaps a small upgrade.
      18.18%
    3. Yes, keep the same higher quality loot, but reduce the amount of items to sort through.
      13.64%
    4. No, the loot is fine as it is now.
        4.55%
    5. No, actually the loot is too good. It should be lowered.
        0.00%
If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,108Dev
    Sure it's a possibility, however the solution to this, like most of what we see on this problem goes well beyond "just" doing something as some like to point out.

First we need a common understanding of what you consider "good" items.  We are at the point where the majority of players have maxed out their characters stats/skills/and equipment to the point where very few items are classified as "good" when it comes to item properties.  The old addage of "just" bump the intensity up or allow more clean items in the game does little to help with our already massive power creep problem.  

That being said we do have a lot of runway to incentiveize treasures chests with new items or with items that have few other counterparts (i.e. more belt slot items).  

It really depends on what it is a "loot upgrade" really means to those asking for it.  We often get incredibly broad requests for changes/additions that are difficult to implement because the person making the request isn't sure what exactly it is they are asking for, or worse refuse to offer up that clarification pointing to previous feedback that is either inaccessible or not germane to the conversation.  Conversations like these help to articulate and steer things so I encourage you, and anyone interested, to participate so we can take some action in a future publish.  
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    @Kyronix, is there any possibility of dropping fewer of the items that weigh 50 stones or the ones that require 125 strength to equip them?  I always just pile those up as I empty the chest and only take them if I'm running low on imbuing materials.  They're basically useless and just an annoyance, in my opinion.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited May 2018
    Kyronix said:
    Sure it's a possibility, however the solution to this, like most of what we see on this problem goes well beyond "just" doing something as some like to point out.

First we need a common understanding of what you consider "good" items.  We are at the point where the majority of players have maxed out their characters stats/skills/and equipment to the point where very few items are classified as "good" when it comes to item properties.  The old addage of "just" bump the intensity up or allow more clean items in the game does little to help with our already massive power creep problem.  

That being said we do have a lot of runway to incentiveize treasures chests with new items or with items that have few other counterparts (i.e. more belt slot items).  

It really depends on what it is a "loot upgrade" really means to those asking for it.  We often get incredibly broad requests for changes/additions that are difficult to implement because the person making the request isn't sure what exactly it is they are asking for, or worse refuse to offer up that clarification pointing to previous feedback that is either inaccessible or not germane to the conversation.  Conversations like these help to articulate and steer things so I encourage you, and anyone interested, to participate so we can take some action in a future publish.  
    Thank you. This is an AWESOME, thought provoking response! I didn't consider the "power creep" effect. sO, In my opinion, based on the time/effort/cost involved I could see value in the addition of different/new items. Perhaps the possibility of random (but up to 1.0 transcendence scrolls, power scrolls (up to 120's) in higher level chests, FOR ALL facets. The idea of new belt slot items is VERY intriguing. I think new ones with MODS on them would be a great thing. @Kyronix
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2018
    So you would trash a nice legendary due to it being heavy or unwieldy? Have you tried selling them? I’m sure not everyone has your high standards. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    Kyronix said:

This is thoughtful feedback.

The problem as you mentioned is not the quality of the loot in the chest.  As my characters become better geared the items in chests become less useful to me.  Thus less "good."

Perhaps two things could happen:
      1. The total amount of items in chests should be reduced.
      2. The base value of items should be bumped, slightly.

However, I really, really like the suggestion of finding alternate ways to make treasure maps more valuable:
      1. More Tmap specific drops especially belts, shoes, sash, cloaks, talisman etc.
      2. Level 6 maps should include better minor artifacts, especially deco.  The number of burglar's bandanas I have is ridiculous.
      3.  Level 7 maps should be much, much, much more difficult.  It should spawn a single Paragon version of its normal spawn, or even a specific chest guardian boss depending on the facet.  With their own loot table.  Just like Scalis can rise from a white net, level 7 should have a similar mob or mobs.

I don't think every chest needs to have something amazing in it.  The chance of it makes the system fun.  I am also a big fan of allowing some Tmap rewards to be ultra rare. 1/1000 level 7 maps or something.  I think what people want is a reason to keep doing maps once they are geared up.

• The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420

First I would make prized items cost like 50k to insure but make then totally clean with no durability.  This way it would serve as a gold sink and make the player using them happy cause they wont break. 

Second I would make brittle what its supposed to be, reduce the max durability to 100-150.  I would also just remove antique as a possible choice.  

I also like the idea of taking higher end jewelry that spawn with such ramdomness and make it so crafters can swap out skills on them even though they are overcapped in properties.  Like getting a ring with 15 music and 15 magery plus other mods to make it legendary, and being able to change music to eval or some more relevant skill to help the template.   This would make crafters useful again as well as make unusable items more usuable creating more market space and lowering prices on those perfect pieces.

• PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    Soulstones for jewelry properties would be sweet.  Even if it were craftable SS shards with 1 use that allowed you to suck a property off a piece of jewelry and store it.  Maybe craftable by imbuers?
    Mervyn said:
    So you would trash a nice legendary due to it being heavy or unwieldy? Have you tried selling them? I’m sure not everyone has your high standards. 
    On which shard would you suggest I sell them? I find them on Balhae and have no luck selling them at my shop there. I have no shard shields on any of my accounts because I haven't played long enough to earn any. Should I pay $20 a pop to buy a transfer token to send them to Atlantic to sell them? I have a house on Atlantic but it's way out in the middle of Malas. Who would want to go there to buy them? Or should I pay steep rent to rent a vendor in Luna on Atlantic? I don't have that kind of gold. Or should I just wait until the usual influx of EM event attendees hit up Balhae every other month or so, slap them on a vendor and hope one of them will buy the heavy items and transfer them to Atlantic to sell them there? Any ideas for how to actually get rid of these items if I decide to lug them back to the house or shop? I surely won't use them myself.

First I would make prized items cost like 50k to insure but make then totally clean with no durability.  This way it would serve as a gold sink and make the player using them happy cause they wont break. 

Second I would make brittle what its supposed to be, reduce the max durability to 100-150.  I would also just remove antique as a possible choice.  

I also like the idea of taking higher end jewelry that spawn with such ramdomness and make it so crafters can swap out skills on them even though they are overcapped in properties.  Like getting a ring with 15 music and 15 magery plus other mods to make it legendary, and being able to change music to eval or some more relevant skill to help the template.   This would make crafters useful again as well as make unusable items more usuable creating more market space and lowering prices on those perfect pieces.

Can't have music and magery on the same item because they are in the same group of skills. I try to do the skill swap thing on nice pieces that I find, but oftentimes there's one property that just doesn't fit, like SDI with a bunch of dexxer properties or HCI with a bunch of spell-casting properties. Would be nice if there was some way to make something like a whetstone to wipe off certain properties, but I doubt that'll ever happen.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,318
    On the whole I like treasure maps, and the few high end loot pieces my characters wear have all come from treasure chests but it's the other things in the boxes that make me think 'I wonder what will be in this one?'
    I like getting another map, especially if it's higher level, I like mibs, soas and I really like sots. Mana phasing orbs have kind of had their day, there are so many other talismans in game now. I like the coffin, but it doesn't fit the style of my house. I never really found a use for a 'sash of warding', or a surge shield. Maybe that's just me never remembering to use them.  I look forward to getting the key ring for skeleton keys (will they be craftable or in a treasure chest)

I tried googling images of pirate treasure, what else might be in a treasure chest. A gold belt, a silver goblet, an aladin's lamp, a silver charger (big plate) a jewelled crown?  Maybe a slayer talisman, a bit less powerful than the drops from Shadowguard, but still useful?
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    How about adding pet power scrolls (:
  • psychopsycho Posts: 282

Keep in mind Level 7 treasuremaps sells for 15-20million each,
    that sounds like alot for something that is here described as "bad loot".  Dont believe everything you read in here, people seem to buy up the level 7 maps they see for sale pretty fast and do them, also level 6 ones.  So they cant be that bad, can they :D

Also theres no restrictions, some do 50maps a day, it wouldnt be good with awesome loot when people indivudually do t-hunts 50 times a day. (you do one chest, you get another tmap for free  + the tmaps you buy) people do it so much so the "rare" items would become common pretty quick.

If you want to change/add t-hunts I suggest you improve the loot for felucca facet, risk versus reward. Add more items that only spawn in felucca chests, like the forged pardon.

Thank you

• SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Gear wise items I suppose they could use a slight bump in properties with higher level chests L5+.
    Would be nice if the higher level chests also had a chance to give give house deco items.

As for items to sell on ATL, Most ppl use the Vendor Search function to find items they want, you dont really see players sitting at a house in popular areas now searching for deals.

Fel Chests as well isnt making it "risk vs reward" if theres noone around while looting the chest. 2-3 servers perhaps would be a little "risk" but the rest there would be pretty well none since the shards are so dead and especially in Felucca.

Upping insurance for prized items to something like 50k would just make newer/poor players not bother using them and be something for the rich.   If you want a real gold sink just add house/plot taxes that go higher with larger plots.  
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited May 2018
    Thanks everybody, there are some good comments here. Keep up the good work!
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,659

I tried googling images of pirate treasure, what else might be in a treasure chest. A gold belt, a silver goblet, an aladin's lamp, a silver charger (big plate) a jewelled crown?  Maybe a slayer talisman, a bit less powerful than the drops from Shadowguard, but still useful?

I like these ideas...also like the idea of more belt slot items.

pirate treasure you say... how about a pirates treasure chest (looks like the chest from the log in)could be a rare item  found in the level 7s

how about getting a hook as a drop from Corgul? when equipped in the shield slot, turns you into a pirate (Captain Hook) or  in a level 7 chest.

• TeapotTeapot Posts: 58
    One of the biggest loot items I get from chests are high intensity 1 or 2 property jewelry I can imbue, they seem to come up frequently.  Level 7 maps have been a big let down, I have ended up with far more legendary items from lvl 6s and rarely have seen anything from a lvl 7 I'm happy with, especially given the grubbers that spawn from lvl 7 picking attempts.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    On the whole I like treasure maps, and the few high end loot pieces my characters wear have all come from treasure chests but it's the other things in the boxes that make me think 'I wonder what will be in this one?'
    I like getting another map, especially if it's higher level, I like mibs, soas and I really like sots. Mana phasing orbs have kind of had their day, there are so many other talismans in game now. I like the coffin, but it doesn't fit the style of my house. I never really found a use for a 'sash of warding', or a surge shield. Maybe that's just me never remembering to use them.  I look forward to getting the key ring for skeleton keys (will they be craftable or in a treasure chest)

I like your suggestions Petra, you always seem to put good thought into it. 

My suggestion, love the talisman idea, how about a Talisman like the roof one with the same stats but no slayer so we can wear it everyday.

I would agree with the thought of less stuff, just drop off the lower end stuff.  No one uses it and it just makes the chests tedious to do to hope to find that an item we can actually use in that large mess.
  • TimTim Posts: 783
    Why is it when ever someone suggests a change it is closely followed by make it better or exclusive in Fel. If the majority wanted to play in Fel we would but we don't and trying to force us to just ---- us off. Please for a change don't let this side track the thread as some very good ideas have been put forward.

I would suggest cutting back on the gold though. Tmaps should be about the loot. Anybody doing a level 6 or 7 probably doesn't need it and it adds to inflation. (I also think the boss monster gold fountain should stop but thats another issue )

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    T-Maps and MIBs should be upgraded every time monster loot/dungeons are upgraded by a proportional amount.  T-Hunters/Fisherman/Crafters are treated like the step-children in this family
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    How much longer does Snow Elemental Slayer have to be one of the most common mods ? That's been a more than dominant mod since AoS.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • TeapotTeapot Posts: 58
    I'd like to add to the list I think refinements count should get bumped a little, if rng is not on your side you might do 100+ chests to even halfway refine a suit.  Accessory slot items would be a nice rare to see also.