Issues hitting Bosses as melee in big crowds

Hey Folks,
I was curious if people have any suggestions for targeting the bosses in big crowds like at champ spawns. What I mean is that as melee I sometimes (most of the time) have trouble positioning my self to actually make sure I am hitting the boss. The boss sometimes moves a bit in the crowd and suddenly I am not hitting and I find myself trying to move to starting hitting it again but cannot even see the boss in all the mayhem. Basically i just flail around until I start seeing double strikes start coming up again. Maybe this old, poor sighted man needs to take up archery...

Comments

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    If you play in classic client, put auto follow on the boss.
    Alt-click
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Norry said:
    Alt-click
    WE NEED AUTOFOLLOW ON EC TOO!!!! please!
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Archangel said:
    Norry said:
    Alt-click
    Agreed!!

I grab the health bar and just continuously clik it 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • OrdoviciaOrdovicia Posts: 36
    Norry said:
    Alt-click

I use the EC but that is interesting that the CC has auto follow and the EC doesn't.
    McDougle said:
    Archangel said:
    Norry said:
    Alt-click
    Agreed!!

I do that as well, however, if you are not right next to the boss you still wont be hitting. For instance, the Artio boss on Atlantic is so mobbed with pets and people I cannot for the life of me see where the boss is at exactly. So I basically walk back and forth where it looks like the boss is and hope to start seeing numbers coming up. As a sampire, with no healing abilities other than life drains, if you are not hitting you can quickly start taking damage without counter heals from your hits.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Ordovicia said:
    McDougle said:
    Archangel said:
    Norry said:
    Alt-click
    Agreed!!

I do that as well, however, if you are not right next to the boss you still wont be hitting. For instance, the Artio boss on Atlantic is so mobbed with pets and people I cannot for the life of me see where the boss is at exactly. So I basically walk back and forth where it looks like the boss is and hope to start seeing numbers coming up. As a sampire, with no healing abilities other than life drains, if you are not hitting you can quickly start taking damage without counter heals from your hits.
    The benefit of having the health bar is it shows where the moved to but i feel your pain as it happens with my lone swords character
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited March 2022
    Use EC, it tells you the distance to the selected target.  Single-click the boss, and watch it's status.  For melee, distance of 0 or 1 and you're fine.  Learn the distances for other things like magery, throwing, etc, as well as note the non radius based distance calculations used by the server - you can use those to your advantage.

Auto-follow should be removed from CC, there are so many issues that should be fixed in EC before that were contemplated for bringing to EC.  Not to mention auto-follow is likely more mis-used than not.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I understand the OP. If you can not see it you can not follow or target. Sometimes it takes 20 seconds for me to get the spawn boss that's running now.

When you cntr shft it shows everything the EVs and RCs are red also. I try to right click those away but the boss has moved.

Best bet is try a next target macro and hope you get the boss soon.

I have missed to many EM bosses.

Good luck
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    If you're using EC, make sure the mobile bars is activate, the boss simply pops into the list there, and you can target it, single click (to keep distance up), etc.

You can also set an object handle filter, name for the boss, so ctrl-shift only brings up the label for the boss.

Whether those things would be added to CC is something you'd need to ask separately.

Use EC, it tells you the distance to the selected target.  Single-click the boss, and watch it's status.  For melee, distance of 0 or 1 and you're fine.  Learn the distances for other things like magery, throwing, etc, as well as note the non radius based distance calculations used by the server - you can use those to your advantage.

Auto-follow should be removed from CC, there are so many issues that should be fixed in EC before that were contemplated for bringing to EC.  Not to mention auto-follow is likely more mis-used than not.

That is a good idea to keep an eye on the distance. Problem is even if the distance goes to more than 1 I still can't tell exactly which direction I should start walking in the mess of players and pets.
    If you're using EC, make sure the mobile bars is activate, the boss simply pops into the list there, and you can target it, single click (to keep distance up), etc.

You can also set an object handle filter, name for the boss, so ctrl-shift only brings up the label for the boss.

Whether those things would be added to CC is something you'd need to ask separately.

Oh I like the object handle filter tip, that might be good to set for the boss fight. Thanks for the helpful information btw.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    I had completely forgotten you could use Action>Switch Object Handle to set a name filter.

*face palm*

That makes life so much easier. Thank you.

If you have the mobiles bar up for the boss, mouse over the mobiles bar and it will show you the big red arrow on the boss. Combine that with the distance on the target window and you'll know exactly where to walk.
    -Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Sounds like it is easy to target in EC.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    I had completely forgotten you could use Action>Switch Object Handle to set a name filter.

*face palm*

That makes life so much easier. Thank you.

If you have the mobiles bar up for the boss, mouse over the mobiles bar and it will show you the big red arrow on the boss. Combine that with the distance on the target window and you'll know exactly where to walk.

Ah yeah, forgot about that big goofy arrow thingy, I had shut it off a while back and forgot about it. That will be very helpful as well, even I think I can see that lol.
  • drcossackdrcossack Posts: 145
    Ordovicia said:
    Hey Folks,
    I was curious if people have any suggestions for targeting the bosses in big crowds like at champ spawns. What I mean is that as melee I sometimes (most of the time) have trouble positioning my self to actually make sure I am hitting the boss. The boss sometimes moves a bit in the crowd and suddenly I am not hitting and I find myself trying to move to starting hitting it again but cannot even see the boss in all the mayhem. Basically i just flail around until I start seeing double strikes start coming up again. Maybe this old, poor sighted man needs to take up archery...

Archer, Thrower, or Tamer would work best for it, IMO.  On a Sampire you can just use the boss's aoe to follow where the boss is, and it will let you attack her too - you never need to pull the bar.  Archer/Thrower can just armor ignore as soon as the aoe damage hits you once, and a Tamer can set a pet to guard.  Works for EM events as well.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Arroth_Thaiel Do you know if you can use multiple filters?  I want to filter on "Rabbit" and "Egg" so only those two things show up.
    edited March 2022
    @TimSt

I do not think you can set a filter that way. At least as far as I know. It appears the filter is set to accept one term for one item. So a filter for "Rabbit Egg" would work if there were an item named "Rabbit Egg" or "A strange rabbits eggo". It looks like the filter is looking for a specific string in a single item.

As a work around, set your object handle to item and set your filter as "curious" or "egg", whatever. I've been using object handle - item, with filter - "curious". Works well.

Then set your mobiles bars for only Attackables and Neutral Animals. (Attackables will allow you to use the grey dockspot - which seems to work better than the mobiles bar list). I use the grey dockspot and set a mobiles bar filter for "rabbit". It's working so far, but the mobiles bars can be wonky. I had to set it up then log out/in for it to start registering. It works though. And I have the big grey arrow on, so when a rabbit mobile bar appears I can mouse over it to see where it is.

And just like that, not 2 min later, the mobiles filter stopped working and I have to log in/out again. Might be easier just to use the mobiles bar without a filter. 
    -Arroth
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    McDougle said:
    Archangel said:
    Norry said:
    Alt-click
    Agreed!!

Agreed!!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited March 2022
    TimSt said:
    @ Arroth_Thaiel Do you know if you can use multiple filters?  I want to filter on "Rabbit" and "Egg" so only those two things show up.
    I have EXACTLY that filter.. on the hand I chose dynamic objects, then in add filter: egg, accept, then add filter : rabbits, accept... so you add filter 2 times... (then put it in the object-handle memory action for easy reinstating)
    so only eggs and rabbits  apear with my ctrl+shift
     *using Pincos, don't know in vanilla
    Yeah, I tried in default and it wouldn't accept multiple filters. At least for me, maybe some else can get it to work.
    -Arroth
    Yeah, I tried in default and it wouldn't accept multiple filters. At least for me, maybe some else can get it to work.
    don't you get the option "add filter" after having added one already? 
    edited March 2022
    Yes, but it just adds the new filter, replacing the old one. Doesn't look like default EC will let you filter by multiple parameters.
    -Arroth
     :'( 
    edited March 2022
    Archangel said:
    don't you get the option "add filter" after having added one already? 

In standard EC, indeed, if you keep clicking "add filter", the new term becomes an OR.  So you can start with first filter:
    <boss name>

add another filter:
    "egg"

and you'll get labels for <boss name> and "egg"

There's an EC bugfix posted in the bugs section that allows you to correctly use terms like:

boss|egg

which is handy for shadowguard roof boss corpse labels:
    lich|human|virtue|mage's

I think if you search my posts in the bug section you'll find it.  I think somebody else pointed out the same problem as well.

You can apply that fix to your EC install, not sure why the dev team hasn't made that change.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Thank you @ForeverFun.  I made the change to my personal Custom UI and I can now filter on more than one name.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited March 2022
    Archangel said:
    TimSt said:
    @ Arroth_Thaiel Do you know if you can use multiple filters?  I want to filter on "Rabbit" and "Egg" so only those two things show up.
    I have EXACTLY that filter.. on the hand I chose dynamic objects, then in add filter: egg, accept, then add filter : rabbits, accept... so you add filter 2 times... (then put it in the object-handle memory action for easy reinstating)
    @Archangel ;

May I ask a question ?

I can understand the filter for "egg", so as to more easily find those spawning on the ground... but why for "rabbit"?

Why would one want to look more easily and quickly for Rabbits ?

What for to do with Rabbits ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    @popps, it seems to escaped your attention, but the current event also includes strangely colored rabbits.

popps said:
    Archangel said:
    TimSt said:
    @ Archangel 

May I ask a question ?

I can understand the filter for "egg", so as to more easily find those spawning on the ground... but why for "rabbit"?

Why would one want to look more easily and quickly for Rabbits ?

What for to do with Rabbits ?
    Like Mariah told you, there's special colored rabbits spawning now.. but not too many or too often.. but the rabbit population is a plague... 

so why object handle them, you ask, ... well for me, 2 main reasons

1- you want to kill all the normal rabbits so the fancy colored ones can spawn, and with the handles, they're easier to target... otherwise its a nuisance since they're so small...

2- The colors are sometimes not so easy to differentiate from the normal bunnies, at least to my eyes... however, in the overhead object handle, the event-rabbits show the hue color (and in Pinco's also a cheeky grin face). With that you know they're special before shooting them, or you know you can shoot 'em if you already have that color. Normal rabbits display no hue when wild.
    edited March 2022
    Thank you @ForeverFun. I had seen that, copied it into my notes and never followed up on it.

For those following along, the small code change to add multiple filters to your object handles can be found here:
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/55481/#Comment_5548
    -Arroth
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mariah said:
    @ popps, it seems to escaped your attention, but the current event also includes strangely colored rabbits.

That is for taming them I assume ?

That is, to have strengely colored tamed rabbits ?

Do they also have special stats, as compared to the normal rabbits, or is the only difference in the color ?

Thank you for the Link.