Multiclient vs Boxing response

2»

Comments

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Sorry, I play in EC so I was going by rough memory about the CC message. In any case, there are people who take that lil window to mean that it is actually illegal to run 2 accounts simultaneously. Once upon a time, it was illegal (or rather, the program that could make it happen was illegal) and just like many other things in UO, the folks who have been around awhile will insist the times have not changed and they spread their belief to others. They do not distinguish between multi-clienting and multiboxing because in their mind both are illegal, and so they page.

I personally do not believe the 2 clients have to be on the same screen within sight of each other, performing their actions, to be legal. As long as they are monitored regularly and manually commanded, the in-game mechanics (such as backpack getting too heavy from crafting potions or semi-AFK artifact farmer timing out after 15 minutes) are enough. The characters really can't get very far without an outside program to monitor them unless their owner pops in. I have been paged on before for doing this (you might be surprised how many citizen police do not take the time to ask their suspect if they are actually ''there'' or wait very long for an answer) but the GM was fine with it once I answered.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I'm on your side.  Petra brought up the box.

How can someone see that pop up box and think logging in two accounts is illegal? I am paying for those accounts.  If I were somehow logging in two toon from the same account, that would be different.

My screen is large enough to have both side by side if I wanted to.  I could have them on separate PCs.  I have 2 at my desk.

Controlling two accounts with the same keystroke is what is illegal.  They said it a t a meet and great.  How many time do they have to answer the same question?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    In this case, the original question was more about what the multi-cliented characters can be doing without direct supervision, and for how long, rather than the simple act of logging in 2 accounts.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Your pc is old, get a new one and you wont see that message.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • All you need is Multi Monitors and You can Multi-Client with No problem at all, This is only 12 Clients that I used for example!!

• stevensteven Posts: 74
    i page on people who were multi boxing loot bots at idoc's but gm dont care. one player useds 10 bots lol. places bots all round home i page ever idoc noting happens lol
  • DarkLorderDarkLorder Posts: 1
    Funny @steven , were you paging on Idocxxxy???  or on that guy that don't know how to proper spell? oh wait, never mind, We all know who Dar.....l  is and who he is here as well.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Tanager said:
    Quote:  "If you log in 2+ clients  but do not use one input stream to control all your clients that is multi-clienting and it is legal.  In other words, if you are running multiple clients and are moving between each window one by one to independently control the characters you are good to go."

The original poster's example is legal. He is moving between each window one by one to independently control the characters. Just because that character does not need a lot of button smashing to control does not make it illegal.

If I take two characters hunting, have one "all kill" and then go stand in a corner then tab to my main character for the active combat - this is legal. I am moving between each window to control them. I am just not moving very often.

If I set one character at my house to make a stack of potions using the vet alchemy station, then manually switch to a different character who is out sailing his ship to the next SOS location via tillerman's map, and a 3rd character is actively farming Miasma - this is legal.

In these examples, I could get paged on by a zealous player who does not get an immediate response from me if I am not paying attention to that particular window at that particular time. But I AM sitting here at my PC, I am not Away From the Keyboard. There are no illegal scripts - or, indeed, ANY outside program at all being used. I would be moving between each window one by one to independently control the characters.

I did not even know you could run two accounts at the same time on one computer. Learn something everyday. Just this morning I soloed my first Champ Spawn after years of playing, thanks to all of the people giving input on this forum.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    You can, but its not "supported" odd bugs can happen, and gm's are as quick to action accounts for using auto follow as other players are for reporting it.

It is very helpful to have a bard on auto follow using the provo mastery. You have to make sure to check that screen often tho.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Norry said:
    gm's are as quick
    I giggled at that. 
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Its the reason i have 4 monitors, 1 for each account. You can really tell so.eone uses auto follow when their non main character gets attacked and they panic like i do, and get all accounts killed. Lol
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2022
    "I have a question,

If multiboxing is bannable,

Why is sync scripting not bannable?
    It's same thing, one person controlling actions of all characters...

The usual guilds have script where one person disarms and it sends signal to all to attack disarmed target, it's all automatic,

the individual players do almost nothing,

It's same as multiboxing no? "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Yoshi said:
    "I have a question,

If multiboxing is bannable,

Why is sync scripting not bannable?
    It's same thing, one person controlling actions of all characters...

The usual guilds have script where one person disarms and it sends signal to all to attack disarmed target, it's all automatic,

the individual players do almost nothing,

It's same as multiboxing no? "
    Sounds the same. When you are doing this, call the GM to watch.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2022
    "it's not actionable offence for a GM to do anything, people are allowed to use any script they want so long as they're attended, same people been doing the same thing for over a decade, one script controls whole guild"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "...same people been doing the same thing for over a decade, one script controls whole guild"

When you put it that way, it is time for the Developers to clean house. UO is an historic icon and mantle piece for EA. At this time they are not going to put any large investment into the game, nor are they willing to let it go. They can afford to piss a few people off. Most players do not script or do so on such a scale and it takes away the fun in the game for most. Richard's initial premise for the development of the game was to build a community based on player interaction. Anything that does not contribute to that does not meet that standard.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    This isn't a difficult concept. It baffles me that you're all supposed to be functioning adults yet struggle with something worded in a way that literally cannot be explained much clearer.