Spellweaving's Gift of Life should really work like the Sacrifice Virtue....

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited March 2022 in General Discussions
What is the difference ?

With the Sacrifice Virtue, one's own character's Ghost can walk to a place they want, and THEN select the Virtue to self-resurrect....

With Gift of Life, instead, the Ghost remains "stuck", pretty much where the character died incapable of moving elsewhere....

Now, if one's own character died somewhere, chances are, that this happened because the spawn there was overwhelming.... how much sense does it thus make, to provide to players a self-resurrecting mechanics like Gift of Life which was to force one's own Ghost to only be able to get resurrected where that spawn which cause the death of that character still is ?

Obviously, the Ghost, resurrecting in the middle of the very spawn which caused the death o that character the very 1st time, would end up rez-killed again.... and loose the Gift of Life charge all for nothing....

Of course that, to my opinion, any self-resurrecting mechanics, thus Spellweaving's Gift of Life included, should permit to a character's Ghost to walk where wanted, and THEN be able to use that Gift of Life ability and self-resurrect.... in a safe spot, not in the middle of that spawn which caused that character's death in the very first place....

As I said, like it is possible to do using the Sacrifice Virtue to self-resurrect....

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    A long winded argument, but for once, one I can agree with - except I would also include gem of  salvation, which also forces you to use it while still in the place you died, virtually guaranteeing you will be killed as soon as you dare to rez. 
    I would, however, put some kind of limit on how far you can go from your body before using the spell/item.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Why do you need another Sacrifice functioning ability? You answered your own question here. Players can self resurrect with the sacrifice virtue so go build it up and use as needed. At knight, you can resurrect at least a half a dozen times. 

Too many people want to make the game solo style based on how they play the game; forgetting that it's meant to be group play. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    keven2002 said:
    Why do you need another Sacrifice functioning ability? You answered your own question here. Players can self resurrect with the sacrifice virtue so go build it up and use as needed. At knight, you can resurrect at least a half a dozen times. 

Too many people want to make the game solo style based on how they play the game; forgetting that it's meant to be group play. 
    Why ?

It is simple, because as it is, Gift of Life and the Gem of Salvation ponted out by Petra Fyde, are pretty much useless....

Self-Resurrecting in the exact one spot where one's own character died, with all of the Spawn that caused that death still around, makes ZERO sense to me, none, nada...

It is necessary to provide to Ghosts the ability to move to a safer spot, and only THEN utilize that charge from the Gift of Life or the Gem of Salvation... otherwise, the Spawn still around would just Rez-kill that character and that ability would basically show its uselessness to work as it works now....
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    popps said:
    What is the difference ?

With the Sacrifice Virtue, one's own character's Ghost can walk to a place they want, and THEN select the Virtue to self-resurrect....

With Gift of Life, instead, the Ghost remains "stuck", pretty much where the character died incapable of moving elsewhere....

Now, if one's own character died somewhere, chances are, that this happened because the spawn there was overwhelming.... how much sense does it thus make, to provide to players a self-resurrecting mechanics like Gift of Life which was to force one's own Ghost to only be able to get resurrected where that spawn which cause the death of that character still is ?

Obviously, the Ghost, resurrecting in the middle of the very spawn which caused the death o that character the very 1st time, would end up rez-killed again.... and loose the Gift of Life charge all for nothing....

Of course that, to my opinion, any self-resurrecting mechanics, thus Spellweaving's Gift of Life included, should permit to a character's Ghost to walk where wanted, and THEN be able to use that Gift of Life ability and self-resurrect.... in a safe spot, not in the middle of that spawn which caused that character's death in the very first place....

As I said, like it is possible to do using the Sacrifice Virtue to self-resurrect....
    I fully agree with you on this one! The horror of rezzing amidst a mob of foes is daunting. "can I rezz, gear up and run till I have enough mana to invis?... get another death-robe for free?"
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited March 2022
    popps said:
    What is the difference ?

This is the historical moment we have been waiting for!
    Finally, I agree 100% on this one! @popps

There should be a popup button that we can press to resurrect AFTER we moved to a SAFE place.
    If killed at a spot, that spot has to be dangerous, why force a resurrect immediately.... say in a room filled with 10 paragons because they were already there when we recalled in.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Gift of life rez at almost half health move a few steps away and have your dress and invis macro ready soon we're going to be playing wow
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    Gift of life rez at almost half health move a few steps away and have your dress and invis macro ready soon we're going to be playing wow
    Yea that's my opinion too... seems like a handful of people are on every thread wanting to take the risk out of dying between can't be looted, can't be stolen from, now wanting to change how gift of life works.

Next step is just to removing dying from the game all together; if you "die" you can just not move or attack for 30 seconds but then can get right back in it. *eye roll* 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Double click your body while dead. As soon as you res hit your last object macro.

Or invest in an undertakers staff and none of this matters.

I'm sure this is a rerun thread.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Clearly if he had nightsight on his fishing pole this wouldn't be a problem  ;)
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     :D 
    edited March 2022
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:
    Yea that's my opinion too... seems like a handful of people are on every thread wanting to take the risk out of dying between can't be looted, can't be stolen from, now wanting to change how gift of life works.

Next step is just to removing dying from the game all together; if you "die" you can just not move or attack for 30 seconds but then can get right back in it. *eye roll* 
    Take the risk out of dying, no loot, cannot be stolen? 

Whatever is insured is still on the ghost. Whatever is cursed lies with the corpse and lootable by monsters or others in Fel.

Not asking for rez on the spot with immunity to damage which could be too much to ask.

In principle, OP just asking for space and time to be decided by player like Sacrifice. It's not a completely new function.
    The thing is, the spell and the item are both already in game, but with the way they currently function, they may as well not be. What's the point of having them if you can't use them?  I've tried waiting for the surrounding mob to disperse a bit before using them, but there is only a limited time during which they are available to you.
    All my fighting characters also have Sacrifice virtue, but in the 'treasures of' events, they die often enough for them to run out of it, even though they start the event at 'knight'.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I have to agree with this suggestion it would make much more sense if we could at least to a limited extent move after we die before using gift of life. I do find use for it when in a group but otherwise it's pretty much a promise of death. 
    edited March 2022
    What's the point of having them if you can't use them?  

All my fighting characters also have Sacrifice virtue, but in the 'treasures of' events, they die often enough for them to run out of it, even though they start the event at 'knight'.

You can use the spell though (and gem). I've used them on many occasions without any issue (don't mistake that for 100% success but that's part of the risk). This doesn't mean you can just go Leroy Jenkins into a mob; you have to have a strategy (which likely should be stay on the fringe if you can't handle the spawn).

If you are talking specifically about the treasures of mobs then you are correct, I also ran low on sacrifice. I also built it back up during the event when I become low to ensure I had it when needed. That being said, every single event like this has a healer outside so the furthest you are running is to the front of the dungeon for a rez at the stationary healer (or get rezzed by a player before that). If you listen to other players, you would mark runes in various "safe" spots of the dungeon beforehand to recall close to your body and claim your corpse. Let's be honest, the people asking for this don't play Fel so that isn't an issue... and if you do play Fel that is part of the risk.

I do not say this as an insult but more as an observation; this just seems like another request by people who do not want to learn to play the game (strategy wise) and be inconvenienced when they die.
    k, I may not be the most competent player, but I'm not a novice either. Obviously I don't charge into a mob, and when I can see I'm not going to be able to heal fast enough I try to get clear. But sometimes when several things hit you at once you're left thinking 'Shhugar, what the hell happened there?' and the gem kicks in and asks if you want to rez - 'erm, not really, thanks'. 

I'm not asking to be invincible, I'm not asking not to die, and I do take myself off to the nearest healer when needed. I'm no stranger to running all the way from Shame level 5 and out to find a wandering healer. I just think the item and spell could function a little better than they currently do.

(incidentally, I'm also not a stranger to being followed to said wandering healer by a particularly hostile PK and finding myself rez-killed when in Fel.  I play ALL facets)
    edited March 2022
    k, I may not be the most competent player, but I'm not a novice either. Obviously I don't charge into a mob, and when I can see I'm not going to be able to heal fast enough I try to get clear. But sometimes when several things hit you at once you're left thinking 'Shhugar, what the hell happened there?' and the gem kicks in and asks if you want to rez - 'erm, not really, thanks'. 

I'm not asking to be invincible, I'm not asking not to die, and I do take myself off to the nearest healer when needed. I'm no stranger to running all the way from Shame level 5 and out to find a wandering healer. I just think the item and spell could function a little better than they currently do.

(incidentally, I'm also not a stranger to being followed to said wandering healer by a particularly hostile PK and finding myself rez-killed when in Fel.  I play ALL facets)

I built the SW only in recent years and soon found out the flaws as described above. 

Maybe it should be tagged to the arcane level, say
    Level 0,  same as current.

Level 3,  window pop-up but we can still run and the window stays. We can click gem anytime to rez but after 2mins if we don't rez the window disappears.

Level 6, as above but up to 5 mins.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903

To further add to how inconvenient it can be to use Gift of Life or the Gem of Salvation which do not permit, like the Sacrifice Virtue does, to move with the Ghost to a safer spot to self-res, there is places where one can die where healers are nowhere near close, and not just at the lowest level of a Dungeon, but also, for example, in Ilshenar and other places where "wasting" a Gift of Life or Gem of Salvation charge because only being able to self-res where the spawn that killed one's own character in the first place still is, and that very likely ends one rez-killed by that spawn, then one has to walk a very large distance to a healer or other place to get ressed, and then walk all the way back to where one died...

Gift of Life and Gem of Salvation should, to my opinion, work in a way that "helps" a player, not in a way that are useless most of the times, especially if playing alone, not in a group....
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    One of the rare occasions where I agree with popps…. 

There can be reasonable debate as to whether the self-res functionality should allow movement or not, but as I see it all 3 should function the same.  There are several instances in UO were we have multiple way to achieve the same outcome, like recall and sacred journey.

My opinion is that the self-res function should allow a short timer (say 30 seconds) to find a more suitable spot to res than the exact spot that just killed you.  Otherwise, as pointed out by several posters, the spell or gem have virtually no use in the majority of cases.
    edited March 2022
    Then yall would complain that you can't get to your body because it is crowded still.  

Add a mob repellent mist that sprays when you use those methods.
    edited March 2022
    popps said:
    Gift of Life and Gem of Salvation should, to my opinion, work in a way that "helps" a player, not in a way that are useless most of the times, especially if playing alone, not in a group....
    As I mentioned above (I'm sure you ignored it because it was inconvenient to you) if you are playing alone then you factor that in to your strategy (ie don't stand around casting in the middle of the dungeon). Play styles must change/evolve when depending on the scenario... I understand you specifically have a hard time accepting this but that is how UO works.

Apply what Kyronix has said before by "simply" adding recipe scrolls to make things; essentially it's more involved than you think. If it's a chore to create a recipe scroll (and ensuing changes to game mechanics of the screens etc), don't you think it's just as much of a chore to change the coding/logic on how gift of life works... especially when there is already the sacrifice virtue in place to give you exactly what you are asking for? 

Should we add that when someone cast rez on us and there is spawn around that we should also be able to pick where we get to rez?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I use Gift of Life on my pets and it lets the pet move to a safer location before I let it resurrect. It would be nice if it worked that way on myself. I've been instantly rez killed with no time to even click a mouse button.
    Since this is a spell after all and not a virtue, perhaps it should differ from Sacrifice by having a longer timer, just not not zero or a few seconds. 
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    When I remember to cast the spell it's a nice bonus if it can be used when I die, if it's in a bad spot I move away and use sacrifice virtue instead or run to a healer if it's one nearby. If you get free resurecctions wherever you like, just from using a spell, it becomes to powerfull in my opinion.
  • TjalleTjalle Posts: 77
    keven2002 said:
    popps said:
    Apply what Kyronix has said before by "simply" adding recipe scrolls to make things; essentially it's more involved than you think. If it's a chore to create a recipe scroll (and ensuing changes to game mechanics of the screens etc), don't you think it's just as much of a chore to change the coding/logic on how gift of life works... especially when there is already the sacrifice virtue in place to give you exactly what you are asking for? 

Should we add that when someone cast rez on us and there is spawn around that we should also be able to pick where we get to rez?

So we should never expect the devs to make any changes to anything ever because it might be a "chore"? Instead of the players trying to, how about we let the devs speak for the devs.

With an abundance of ways to heal, why only have one way to self-resurrect that works and two that only kind of works? It´s not gonna make the game any easier or less risky by tweaking the two to be more on par with Sacrifice. Because as you said yourself, players can just use Sacrifice anyway.
    I do however agree with you that we shouldn´t make this game any easier or less risky. This just isn´t one of those scenarios since Sacrifice already exist ingame.
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    Allowing Gift of Life or Gem of Salvation to function the same way as Sacrifice would diminish the value of the Virtue and the work it takes to level and maintain it.  

Gift of Life has multiple ways it can be used successfully. Sometimes it's not as useful. That's the risk of dying.

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Violet said:
    Allowing Gift of Life or Gem of Salvation to function the same way as Sacrifice would diminish the value of the Virtue and the work it takes to level and maintain it.  

Gift of Life has multiple ways it can be used successfully. Sometimes it's not as useful. That's the risk of dying.

Should we not delete sacred journey and eliminate the ability to use recall scrolls with no skill because it diminishes the value of having magery to recall?  Sorry, your argument is a logical fail.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Pawain said:
    Then yall would complain that you can't get to your body because it is crowded still.  

I don' need to get to my body EVER, all is insured or blessed and if it's fresh loot, I don't lose sleep over it. And even running from Shame to a healer and recalling back I always find my body, so you obviously don't get it, as usual.  I want to rez in order to either keep on fighting, or to be able to recall out of the bloody place, that simple. I certainly have no desire to rez just to be killed again. That is an exercise in futility, and futility per-se is best avoided. Even you could understand the concept if you apply to it!
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    Merus said:

Should we not delete sacred journey and eliminate the ability to use recall scrolls with no skill because it diminishes the value of having magery to recall?  Sorry, your argument is a logical fail.
    Actually it isn't.

Magery and Chivalry are both magics, both skill systems.  Magics that are targeted towards different templates.

The Virtues are a different and independent system from the skill system.  One that any player (other than murderers)  can get and achieve regardless of template (even crafters could work up and use Sacrifice, it just may be really slow).  An independent ability that requires time gated upkeep and limits to how often/much the ability can be used.  The self rez wherever you want is the only thing the Sacrifice Virtue has.

Archangel said:
    Pawain said:

I don' need to get to my body EVER, all is insured or blessed and if it's fresh loot, I don't lose sleep over it. And even running from Shame to a healer and recalling back I always find my body, so you obviously don't get it, as usual.  I want to rez in order to either keep on fighting, or to be able to recall out of the bloody place, that simple. I certainly have no desire to rez just to be killed again. That is an exercise in futility, and futility per-se is best avoided. Even you could understand the concept if you apply to it!
    You are confusing me with someone that wants the proposed change.

And if the OP got the change then .... insert my post here.

I use undertakers staff so I do not need to get my body.