KYRONIX, is it possible to get on Test Server a "SetLuck" command for Luck testing purposes ?

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Since everything we do uses our wonderful RNG in one way or another wouldn't real life luck good or bad always have a impact 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    edited February 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:

Not everyone has a luck suit to transfer over and us on Siege can´t transfer over at all.

You could always craft it on the Test Shard if you were so inclined to actually test luck.... you are given all the resources to do so.
    Yes.
    And a Set luck command would save me those hours.
    Plus with that crafted suit you suggest I would be "locked" to that specific amount of luck.
    Just like you would on a real shard.... what's your point?
    The point is, that having a "SetLuck" command on the Test Server, a player would be able to Test what Luck level actually "works" and THEN, once they are confident of what Luck actually works, replicate that precise worn Luck on the Server which they play on so as to have access to the benefits from that worn Luck.

First they "Test" if what works is 500 Luck, 1,000 Luck, 2,000 Luck, 4,000 Luck, whatever Luck, on the Test Server for that given activity they are interested in UO, and THEN, they go the length necessary to replicate that exact worn Luck on the Server which they play on.

THIS, is the point....
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:

Not everyone has a luck suit to transfer over and us on Siege can´t transfer over at all.

You could always craft it on the Test Shard if you were so inclined to actually test luck.... you are given all the resources to do so.
    Yes.
    Plus with that crafted suit you suggest I would be "locked" to that specific amount of luck.
    The point is, that having a "SetLuck" command on the Test Server, a player would be able to Test what Luck level actually "works" and THEN, once they are confident of what Luck actually works, replicate that precise worn Luck on the Server which they play on so as to have access to the benefits from that worn Luck.

First they "Test" if what works is 500 Luck, 1,000 Luck, 2,000 Luck, 4,000 Luck, whatever Luck, on the Test Server for that given activity they are interested in UO, and THEN, they go the length necessary to replicate that exact worn Luck on the Server which they play on.

THIS, is the point....
    It's should not be set luck, but a full luck suit instead. Or you can be wearing a normal mage or warrior gear with 150HP, 200 mana, full 70 defense, full damage or SDI but yet with 3500 luck. Where does this "luck" come from? Is there a Legendary skill for luck? That is not going to happen on production shard anyway.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Luck by it's nature is random so 1233 might be the TC number but not the production shard number...
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,800
    edited February 2022
    Seth said:
    Luck is item property so it should come from a luck suit in the bank. Just in case some players tested luck but forgot that they take up existing item slot and affect other abilities.
    This is the reason that a "set luck" command wont be useful. you have to be able to balance the amount of luck achievable with the rest of the Mods on the suit. and it has been overstated multiple times in this thread, luck is reliant on the infamous "streaky" RNG. how could we ever tell if it was working?  Even with Niter Deposits I feel it is useless (though i still have a high luck suit on my Miner) . I have gotten just as large of a deposit with low/no luck as I have with my really high luck suit. is it working? who the F**K knows. I play this game to have fun and relieve the stress of my job/life, not add to the Sh*t.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2022
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:
    Tjalle said:

Yes.
    More like what´s your point?

Your argument is to spend hours upon hours to achieve a single value whereas mine is to spend seconds to achieve any value I want.
    I don´t know about you but I don´t go to Test center to waste time, I go there to test. So I don´t see the point in arguing against something that would make testing more time efficient.

And here´s the real kicker. None of you nay-sayers have to even use the command. Shocker, I know but I´m telling you, it´s true! You can just skip that part and go straight to the crafting.

I think it's funny that you would rather tell me about my argument rather than defending your own... that should tell everyone what they need to know. 

I'll tell you my point since you inaccurately tried to tell me what my argument is. Btw it kind of seems like you'd rather get your feelings hurt instead of actually take a step back and think about what I'm saying. 

I don't think it's worth any of the Devs time to make this change because it doesn't translate to a production shard. That is essentially the entire point that you are missing.

Inevitably someone will say "SetLuck to 1234" or 6000 or some other non-attainable number on a production shard and say that is "the sweet spot"... and then make post after post here on the forums or email that these values need to be allowed on Prod shards. That is why you should need to craft whatever it is because you need to stay in bounds of a realistic value from a Prod shard. Or as @Victim_Of_Siege says; typically if you are going to have luck on your suit it's at the expense of other mods. So to realistically have 2k luck means you are sacrificing something else. Walking around in your max stat sampire suit with 4k luck (before honor / Fel comes into play) isn't realistic for prod shards either.

I also think it's just going to cause more issues than solutions for people understanding how luck works because what many people fail to realize (or ignore) is that loot and luck are both RNG based so it's not only about what your luck is, it's also about what you are killing and what's being rolled... for each kill. Even then when you do that for hours on end, you are still going to get some varying results and this is where people are going to complain yet again something like "well we should know that if we kill X so many times we will get the piece we want after Y tries guaranteed". 

The ironic thing here is that part of your argument is that making the suit "takes hours" but what do you think is going to happen once you set your luck? You just go out and kill 5-10 things and that's a complete data set? As you say, you don't go to TC1 "to waste time". Come on now. If anything creating your luck suit is going to be the quickest thing to do.

So in a nutshell, in case I lost anyone within my explanation of my argument, I think setting luck would simply be more work for the Devs which in return would only give them more (unproven) complaints from the handful of people who are too dense/lazy to understand how the multiple layers of RNG applies to loot/luck.Basically after they kill 5 things with 4000 luck and don't get "l33t" gear they are going to hop on this forum and create a thread saying "WHY IS LUCK BROKEN". These are the people that really just want to do away with RNG all together and make a fixed loot table for each monster (ie kill a hyrda and get a 10 SSI 35DI ring every time); that way they "can win UO". 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    Seth said:
    Luck is item property so it should come from a luck suit in the bank. Just in case some players tested luck but forgot that they take up existing item slot and affect other abilities.
    This is the reason that a "set luck" command wont be useful. you have to be able to balance the amount of luck achievable with the rest of the Mods on the suit. and it has been overstated multiple times in this thread, luck is reliant on the infamous "streaky" RNG. how could we ever tell if it was working?  Even with Niter Deposits I feel it is useless (though i still have a high luck suit on my Miner) . I have gotten just as large of a deposit with low/no luck as I have with my really high luck suit. is it working? who the F**K knows. I play this game to have fun and relieve the stress of my job/life, not add to the Sh*t.

Why do we need to test this? Why no one questioned the probability to get the rarest Cu Sidhe vs the next, pure colors. Luck is simply better chances, better Odds. If anyone want 100% sure get, play mobile games.

It's called Pay To Win. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Seth said:
    Seth said:

Why do we need to test this? Why no one questioned the probability to get the rarest Cu Sidhe vs the next, pure colors. Luck is simply better chances, better Odds. If anyone want 100% sure get, play mobile games.

It's called Pay To Win. 

I totally agree that we don't need to test this.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    Seth said:
    Seth said:

It's called Pay To Win. 

You are 100000000% right.  The problem was that when luck first came out the RNG rolled a number and the max it could roll was 99 and you were able to build a suit to get greater than a 99% luck chance but we all know that even with MAX Luck it IS NOT a 100% chance to always get a boost every time even though we were told it was and one of the DEVs even admitted that Luck does NOT work like it was designed.  They even got us to buy an item for $10 to make these suits, guess they were better used cars salesmen than we thought.  Test all you want, people that actually use Luck know that there is no guarantee with Luck no matter how muck you use.
    keven2002 said:
    I don't think it's worth any of the Devs time to make this change because it doesn't translate to a production shard. That is essentially the entire point that you are missing.

Inevitably someone will say "SetLuck to 1234" or 6000 or some other non-attainable number on a production shard and say that is "the sweet spot"... and then make post after post here on the forums or email that these values need to be allowed on Prod shards.

If that was to be the concern, it could be easily taken care of by associating the "SetLuck" command on the Test Server, with whatever boundaries Luck was to be subject to on Production Shards.

That is, from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of whatever Luck can be obtainable on Production Shards.

Since Luck IS an imbuable property, with increments of 1 Luck, players could very well, playing around with their suits and crafting, reproduce whatever Luck was to work for whatever activity they may be interested in on the Test Server.

McDougle said:
    Luck by it's nature is random so 1233 might be the TC number but not the production shard number...
    How so ?

To my understanding, the code that runs on the Test Server, is pretty much, saved when there is a patch or similar, the same of that code which runs on Production Shards.

So, I do not see why, if a given worn Luck Test was to work on the Test Server, it should then not yield same results on any Production Shard.
    Seth said:

you have to be able to balance the amount of luck achievable with the rest of the Mods on the suit.

Indeed, but that falls into the realm of "choices" and "trade offs" which the player will need to do on a Production Shard...

Test Server, is for testing, therefore, one could very well put up Luck in "addition" to high properties... of course, high Luck on production Shards, would not be possible to be had along with also high other properties...

But that is not relevant to the Luck testing....

What the player might want to figure out, for a given activity, if what precise Luck threshold was to yield the wanted result and THEN, they will go from there on a Production Shard trying to figure out what Suit they could put together that was to given them "that" Luck and a compromise of acceptable other properties which they need.

But the starting point, to my opinion, is FIRST being able to finally find out what Luck figure actually yields the wanted results..... without this Data, anything else becomes pointless....

And that Data can only be obtained throughout extensive testing on the Test Server using a "SetLuck" command, to my opinion.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,800
    edited February 2022
    popps said:   Blah Blah Blah.
    You cannot accurately test something differently than you will use it on Prodo shard and gather any useful information.

popps said:   Blah Blah Blah.
    You cannot accurately test something differently than you will use it on Prodo shard and gather any useful information.
    I do not see, frankly, why.

Test Server and Production servers share the same exact UO code other then for when patches are put there for testing purposes.

Therefore, my understanding is that any Test of Luck on the Test Server should, and I assume would, yield likewise results also on Production servers.
  • popps said: Blah Blah Blah
    You are asking them to add new code that will only exist on Test, Thereby nullifying any resemblance to what's on Prodo

popps said: Blah Blah Blah
    You are asking them to add new code that will only exist on Test, Thereby nullifying any resemblance to what's on Prodo
    New code JUST in regards to being able to set Luck from 0 to whatever Max Luck can be available on Production Shards.

Therefore, I do not see why players setting whatever Luck paramether within 0 and a MAX that DOES exist on Production Shards, would then be unable to reproduce that same Luck that they set on the Test Server, also on Production Shards.

Sure, on Production Shards they might need to make choices, compromises, trade off and give up "other" Properties in order to make room for that Luck on their suit BUT, this is an entirely different story and up to players' individual choices and decisions.

What is important, is that whatever Luck on Test Server yielded given results there, the same Luck, should, and I assume would, yield the exact same results on also Production Shards.
  • popps said:
    popps said: Blah Blah Blah
    Blah Blah Blah
    You will be testing two entirely different things and getting two entirely different outcomes

@popps you are asking for something totally random to be tested and then have the results be the same on production. Did you notice i said RANDOM that means it changes every single time .... toss in the possible effects of your real life luck and well it's an impossible thing you ask
  • TjalleTjalle Posts: 77
    keven2002 said:

I think it's funny that you would rather tell me about my argument rather than defending your own... that should tell everyone what they need to know. 

What am I, on trial? Why would I need to "defend" anything? And to whom?

I see this from time to time here where certain posters act like some self-proclaimed judges that others have to convince in order to make a suggestion to the devs.
    Well, guess what? You´re not.

keven2002 said:

I'll tell you my point since you inaccurately tried to tell me what my argument is. Btw it kind of seems like you'd rather get your feelings hurt instead of actually take a step back and think about what I'm saying. 

Oh, so you didn´t suggest I should craft my luck suit on TC?

keven2002 said:

What you or anyone else think about the devs' time is irrelevant.
    Why? Because you´re not a dev. They are big enough to make their own decisions.

keven2002 said:

The ironic thing here is that part of your argument is that making the suit "takes hours" but what do you think is going to happen once you set your luck? You just go out and kill 5-10 things and that's a complete data set? As you say, you don't go to TC1 "to waste time". Come on now. If anything creating your luck suit is going to be the quickest thing to do.

What I would do with my luck command and my time is my business.
    What I can say is this, I´d rather "waste my time" testing than prepping for a test.

So the more tools we can get on TC that would help with that is only positive.

keven2002 said:

Inevitably someone will say "SetLuck to 1234" or 6000 or some other non-attainable number on a production shard and say that is "the sweet spot"... and then make post after post here on the forums or email that these values need to be allowed on Prod shards. That is why you should need to craft whatever it is because you need to stay in bounds of a realistic value from a Prod shard. Or as @ Victim_Of_Siege says; typically if you are going to have luck on your suit it's at the expense of other mods. So to realistically have 2k luck means you are sacrificing something else. Walking around in your max stat sampire suit with 4k luck (before honor / Fel comes into play) isn't realistic for prod shards either.

You are making a problem out of something that is not a problem.
    The concept is quite simple. You set a luck value and then you test that luck value.

If someone wants to test 20000 luck and then not being able to attain that value on their own shard then that´s their problem. For anyone with a brain that would not be an issue.
    But hey, if it helps, put a cap on the luck command so it represents what´s attainable on prodo.

keven2002 said:

I also think it's just going to cause more issues than solutions for people understanding how luck works because what many people fail to realize (or ignore) is that loot and luck are both RNG based so it's not only about what your luck is, it's also about what you are killing and what's being rolled... for each kill. Even then when you do that for hours on end, you are still going to get some varying results and this is where people are going to complain yet again something like "well we should know that if we kill X so many times we will get the piece we want after Y tries guaranteed". 

So in a nutshell, in case I lost anyone within my explanation of my argument, I think setting luck would simply be more work for the Devs which in return would only give them more (unproven) complaints from the handful of people who are too dense/lazy to understand how the multiple layers of RNG applies to loot/luck.Basically after they kill 5 things with 4000 luck and don't get "l33t" gear they are going to hop on this forum and create a thread saying "WHY IS LUCK BROKEN". These are the people that really just want to do away with RNG all together and make a fixed loot table for each monster (ie kill a hyrda and get a 10 SSI 35DI ring every time); that way they "can win UO". 

Thank you for your feedback.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Kinda weird that some are against this idea.  The only issue with it is it would require programming of old code.

We all know that if they made this happen, Popps would not use it. He would have to put in the effort to play UO to see results.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Or he would test on TC and expect the same results on prodo shards or even worse he would want to build the same suit on a prodo shard with all the stats and everything else from the TC suit.  Copies max Dex/Stam/all 90s resist suit and say set luck 6000 and now damit I should be able to make this on prodo shard why can't I
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Too much effort required to build it on TC.  would want a Give Lucksuit command.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:

I see this from time to time here where certain posters act like some self-proclaimed judges that others have to convince in order to make a suggestion to the devs.

You want the Devs to spend time to change the way TC1 is because you want your way. I disagreed and gave an alternative solution. You then decided to tell me about MY argument. You are the one acting like it's a trial and that said you will need to provide support to YOUR argument. I know when you don't really have a good answer, it's easy for someone like you to say "because I said so" but sorry that's not how life works outside of your house.

Tjalle said:

keven2002 said:

What I can say is this, I´d rather "waste my time" testing than prepping for a test.

Right so you are being a hypocrite? You don't have time to make a suit but you have time to accurately test all of the combinations with enough frequency to arrive at a conclusion? That makes almost as little sense as the rest of your half baked request. 

Tjalle said:

The concept is quite simple. You set a luck value and then you test that luck value.

If someone wants to test 20000 luck and then not being able to attain that value on their own shard then that´s their problem. For anyone with a brain that would not be an issue.
    But hey, if it helps, put a cap on the luck command so it represents what´s attainable on prodo.

You are the person asking for Devs to commit time to something on a test server that is not intended to ever reach Prod shard and you don't think that's a problem? Do you read half of popps post on the forums? Again you are asking for Devs to to more work into SetLuck by putting a cap or framing it up like it would be on a Prod shard... all because you are too lazy to just do the work yourself. Again if you really want to master luck then put in the time as you say you would if they Devs did all the other work on their end. Like you said, anyone with a brain could figure out how to easy put together a luck suit on test with very minimal effort.
    edited February 2022
    Yet another one of popps threads is spiraling into a troll fest because people are getting their feelings hurt when other people disagree with them about having the Devs put effort towards something that will just cause more issues (kind of like this thread?).

So I'll just drop an IBTL now because I think it's getting close. 
    edited February 2022
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

Inevitably someone will say "SetLuck to 1234" or 6000 or some other non-attainable number on a production shard and say that is "the sweet spot"... and then make post after post here on the forums or email that these values need to be allowed on Prod shards. That is why you should need to craft whatever it is because you need to stay in bounds of a realistic value from a Prod shard. Or as @ Victim_Of_Siege says; typically if you are going to have luck on your suit it's at the expense of other mods. So to realistically have 2k luck means you are sacrificing something else. Walking around in your max stat sampire suit with 4k luck (before honor / Fel comes into play) isn't realistic for prod shards either.

keven2002 said:

I agree on all that you say, but I would like to particularly stress these words that you used : 

Now, why do these words come as important ones to me ?

Because, and I think this is under the eyes of pretty much most if not all of the usual Posters of these official UO Forums, my Threads, unusually, and quite too frequently, end up being locked because certain posters, usually recurrent ones, start being aggressive towards me, my opinions and suggestions about Ultima Online in those threads and start asking to the Moderators to lock my threads.

Now, I am always polite, never attack any fellow poster and always discuss things pertaining to Ultima Online.

Sure, I can understand that the points of views and opinions about the game might be disagreed by some, but the amount of aggressiveness towards my posts is unusually significant and, yet, my threads get locked...

Now, "why" so much insistence on wanting my Threads to get Locked, I started wondering ?

Well, perhaps, just perhaps, because other players of UO do not want any of what I am trying to discuss about on these Forums and suggest to see in Ultima Online, to be seen by the Developers and thus have a chance to, perhaps, make it to the game one day ?

The words of a Moderator of these Official UO Forums here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/71132/#Comment_71132 in closure to yet another Thread of mine getting locked, might be insightfull here...

Ask yourself exactly what terms of service rule a post breaks before you ask for a lock. Things that seem disagreeable are not necessarily breaking any of the rules of this forum. How many voices do you want to silence?

"How many voices do you want to silence ? "......

Well, if that is the concern of those Posters who so much want to see my Threads get Locked so that Developers were not to see them, I would like to stress your words and repeat : " They are big enough to make their own decisions".

Rather then asking my Threads to get Locked, let the Developers see them and decide by themselves, whether any of what I might be saying is, or not worthy, to THEIR opinion, of making into Ultima Online.
    popps said:
    Tjalle said:
    keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

keven2002 said:

I agree on all that you say, but I would like to particularly stress these words that you used : 

Now, why do these words come as important ones to me ?

Because, and I think this is under the eyes of pretty much most if not all of the usual Posters of these official UO Forums, my Threads, unusually, and quite too frequently, end up being locked because sertain posters, usually recurrent ones, start being aggressive towards me, my opinions and suggestions about Ultima Online in those threads and start asking to the Moderators to lock my threads.

Now, I am always polite, never attack any fellow poster and always discuss things pertaining to Ultima Online.

Sure, I can understand that the points of views and opinions about the game might be disagreed by some, but the amount of aggressiveness towards my posts is unusually significant yet, my threads get locked...

Now, "why" so much insistence on wanting my Threads get Locked I started wondering ?

Well, perhaps, just perhaps, because other players of UO do not want any of what I am trying to discuss about on these Forums and suggest to see in Ultima Online, to be seen by the Developers and thus have a chance to, perhaps, make it to the game one day ?

Well, if that is the concern of those Posters who so much want to see my Threads get Locked so that Developers were not to see them, I would like to stress your words and repeat : " They are big enough to make their own decisions".

Rather then asking my Threads to get Locked, let the Developers see them and decide by themselves, whether any of what I might be saying is or not worthy, to THEIR opinion, of making into Ultima Online.
    Let's say it's us the other posting members why not for everyone's sake just email the developers your many ideas
    McDougle said:

Let's say it's us the other posting members why not for everyone's sake just email the developers your many ideas
    There is always the option of restraining oneself to participate in a Thread which they not like the topic that is being discussed....

Especially, when participating can end up being aggressive towards those posting arguments and opinions which one might disagree with.

Let me better explain my point of view with a famous Quote...

popps said:
    McDougle said:

There is always the option of restraining oneself to participate in a Thread which they not like the topic that is being discussed....

Especially, when participating can end up being aggressive towards those posting arguments and opinions which one might disagree with.

Let me better explain my point of view with a famous Quote...

I don't mind our disagreements it's important to discuss even with differences but you stated you post in best interest of UO and the players if this is the case even if you are 1000% right maybe being the better person and sticking to email might be best
    popps said:

Please when was the last time you picked up a gun and stood a watch defending the Constitution of the United States and guess what this is a privately owned forum so your Free Speech doesn't apply here.
  • I still think an ideas and suggestions forum would be the best thing. then these "threads" can be limited to it.

This discussion has been closed.