120 fishing and footwear

At 120 should I really still be catching shoes....I'd be ok with the fizzle rate of 8th circle spells at 120...
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

  • NorryNorry Posts: 492
    You can build an empire out of the gold you get from selling shoes alone. If anything, they should allow fishers to get enchanted footware above GM, insteaf of basic.

    Shoes with bless, str, dex, int, teleport, luck, ect
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,038
    Norry said:
    You can build an empire out of the gold you get from selling shoes alone. If anything, they should allow fishers to get enchanted footware above GM, insteaf of basic.

    Shoes with bless, str, dex, int, teleport, luck, ect
    This is great idea !!!
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • gaygay Posts: 115
    Get a goat.
    Feed them to the goat.
    Little crab things are also goats.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 144
    Very great idea Norry! 

    1-3 mods on the footwear with scaling intensity. Maybe leave the best ones for pre loot from sos chests? The very best for pre loot from the white chests?  
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,038
    gay said:
    Get a goat.
    Feed them to the goat.
    Little crab things are also goats.
    You miss the point would you accept a 40%  fizzle rate at 120 magery?
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    Great idea on the shoes. Just to ensure it's not too OP - all shoes would come with charges (ie bless - 12 charges). This would give some meaning to have 120 fishing over 100; especially when there isn't (to my knowledge) anything a player can wear to bump up fishing (ie jewelry / clothing etc); if you are 120 fishing it's going to be 120 real skill. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,448
    keven2002 said:
    Great idea on the shoes. Just to ensure it's not too OP - all shoes would come with charges (ie bless - 12 charges). This would give some meaning to have 120 fishing over 100; especially when there isn't (to my knowledge) anything a player can wear to bump up fishing (ie jewelry / clothing etc); if you are 120 fishing it's going to be 120 real skill. 
    i like the idea of 120 fishers being up to fish up special footwear
    maybe with high luck and fish bait strength.
    fishing waders

    also add the bikini bottoms to shipwreck chests
    but you can only get if you have 120 fishing
    (yes I know there are swim trunks in game, 
    but that is a different color and doesn't have the same name)

  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,038
    Ssi 5 sandals that can only be fished up in fel 
    Sdi 5 shoes that can only be fished up in dungeons 
    220 luck boots only fished up in deep water 
    Must be 120 fishing 
    Even if they are really strong with a drop rate of say cameo and 120 fishing required they would be rare..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    McDougle said:
    Ssi 5 sandals that can only be fished up in fel 
    Sdi 5 shoes that can only be fished up in dungeons 
    220 luck boots only fished up in deep water 
    Must be 120 fishing 
    Even if they are really strong with a drop rate of say cameo and 120 fishing required they would be rare..

    Lol. Well as much as I'd love those things, I think that might be a little bit OP to get best in slot items from simply casting a line in the water. That said, others have asked for non-warrior/mage toons be able to acquire some top end gear via other means (ie non-fighting) for years so maybe this would work.
  • How about Pirate boots, and if these boots have stats, they can only be equiped while on board a boat.  Maybe tie them into bounty hunting.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 161
    McDougle said:
    Ssi 5 sandals that can only be fished up in fel 
    Sdi 5 shoes that can only be fished up in dungeons 
    220 luck boots only fished up in deep water 
    Must be 120 fishing 
    Even if they are really strong with a drop rate of say cameo and 120 fishing required they would be rare..
    I really like this idea, would give more appeal to fishing and usefulness of the skill and time devoted to raising it. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    I don't want to hijack this thread but it's kind of related because I decided dust off my fisher after reading this thread and another thread about Luck (I didn't know that in game luck pieces helped with dredging hooks). Last time I recalled using the dredging hook I got zilch after fishing up SOS but I don't think I was in a luck suit at that time.

    So I equip my fisher with a max luck suit (minus the shield and 190 weapon) and hit the statue and was fishing in Fel... grand total was like 4500 luck at that point taking all of that into consideration. I use the rest of my remaining dredge hook uses to fish up some SOS... and nothing. I pop on another hook and run through another 10 chests and absolutely zero barnacle covered items were fished up before I pulled the chests. 

    So... what am I doing wrong? I have to be doing something wrong given I went through about 1.5 hooks today with 4500 luck and didn't get a single barnacled covered item. Any pointers would be helpful.

    Thanks.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,038
    Well sadly fishing for anything is realistically a waste of time...luck or no luck the fish monger rewards stink the fish cooking items are terrible toss in footwear and no name crabs and lobster outside of white nets (not even used at sea) just plain trash..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 606
    You don't have to be fishing up sos to use the dredging hooks - that may actually have been your problem. When I use them I just sail from one fishing port to another delivering orders and every use of the hook pulls up barnacle items. This is done in tram with at most 1k luck.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    Marge said:
    You don't have to be fishing up sos to use the dredging hooks - that may actually have been your problem. When I use them I just sail from one fishing port to another delivering orders and every use of the hook pulls up barnacle items. This is done in tram with at most 1k luck.
    Ah maybe that's my problem then because based on UoGuide it says specifically it's pre-SOS stuff. https://www.uoguide.com/Dredging_Hook ;

    So whenever you are sailing around and cast you pull up barnacle covered items? You don't pull up fish?
  • MargeMarge Posts: 606
    It's been a while but I don't remember getting fish or if I did it wasn't very many. I should still have some hooks - might try later tonight and see what I get.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 606
    After reading about from a few places (wiki, patch notes, & stratics) and my own experience; it seems it was maybe just bad wording. They may have meant the barnacle covered items you pull up from the deep sea are mainly re-hued and renamed pre sos loot. It is mainly painting, pillows, shells, and footwear. (Shells aren't barnacle named just pastel colors.) You also have a chance of getting barnacle covered armor pieces.(human and garg - don''t remember if I ever got elf.)
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    Thanks @Marge. Were you pulling up the barnacle stuff on just about every cast?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,118Moderator
    the wiki phrases it slightly differently, but I'll look at rewording the page to make it clearer.

  • MargeMarge Posts: 606
    I used 4 hooks and it was pretty much exactly half fish / have barnacle stuff each time. (24/50   25/50     26/50     25/50) I may try with a luck suit later just for fun - I read it helps so maybe I used to wear it when fishing. I use to switch the suit around but now it just stays on the tmapper.)

    Out of the 100 items - 32 were shells; 10 were portraits; 22 equipables; 13 pillows; 3 broken clocks; 4 stools; 5 globes; 2 barrels; and 9 barrel staves. 2 items were labeled Error (TID) - a garg shield and a garg leggings.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    Thanks Marge! Please let me know if luck helps with pulling up items.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 606
    I did test luck today. With the luck suit and the statue; I had 3543 luck. I fished in fel aslo. (Don't get excited pk'ers - my boat and myself are long gone from that place!) I again used 4 hooks. I forget to add last time that the first 2 were used sailing around and the second 2 were used stationary. The four hooks gave me    20/50     26/50      27/50     28/50 for a total of 101 items. (The first hook I hit a few server lines and pulled up a few sos serpents which do not net a fish even without the hook. The second sailing hook  I made sure I was in a clear sailing line.) It averaged pretty much the same but the difference was in the equipables. I actually got human armor pieces this time. The first time it was all garg except for one tricorne hat. 

    Out of the 101 ittems - 29 were shells; 12 were portraits; 26 equipables; 21 pillows; 6 barrel staves; 2 barrels; 3 candelabras; 1 stool; and 1 globe. 3 Items were labeled Error (TID) - a bow and 2 human bracelets.

    Luck may not seem to work but if you are after human armor - it seemed to help a lot.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 407
    Marge said:
    I did test luck today. With the luck suit and the statue; I had 3543 luck. I fished in fel aslo. (Don't get excited pk'ers - my boat and myself are long gone from that place!) I again used 4 hooks. I forget to add last time that the first 2 were used sailing around and the second 2 were used stationary. The four hooks gave me    20/50     26/50      27/50     28/50 for a total of 101 items. (The first hook I hit a few server lines and pulled up a few sos serpents which do not net a fish even without the hook. The second sailing hook  I made sure I was in a clear sailing line.) It averaged pretty much the same but the difference was in the equipables. I actually got human armor pieces this time. The first time it was all garg except for one tricorne hat. 

    Out of the 101 ittems - 29 were shells; 12 were portraits; 26 equipables; 21 pillows; 6 barrel staves; 2 barrels; 3 candelabras; 1 stool; and 1 globe. 3 Items were labeled Error (TID) - a bow and 2 human bracelets.

    Luck may not seem to work but if you are after human armor - it seemed to help a lot.
    very nice, thank you for sharing your findings!  :) 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    Yes thanks @Marge!
  • Speaking of 120 Fishing...

    Finally got one myself a couple weeks ago. What a grind.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,193
    Congrats!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,028
    Speaking of 120 Fishing...

    Finally got one myself a couple weeks ago. What a grind.
    Congratulations !

    Personally, though, I like that it is hard this way to get a 120 Fishing scroll.

    This is one of the very few ways that players not interested in combat, can obtain an item of value which they can then sell to get gold to purchase other things which they may need.

    If getting 120 Fishing powerscrolls was to be made easier, they would loose their value a whole lot and, thus, UO players not interested in combat would loose a good way to get an item of value to make some gold off, in the game.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,184
    popps said:
    Speaking of 120 Fishing...

    Finally got one myself a couple weeks ago. What a grind.
    Congratulations !

    Personally, though, I like that it is hard this way to get a 120 Fishing scroll.

    This is one of the very few ways that players not interested in combat, can obtain an item of value which they can then sell to get gold to purchase other things which they may need.

    If getting 120 Fishing powerscrolls was to be made easier, they would loose their value a whole lot and, thus, UO players not interested in combat would loose a good way to get an item of value to make some gold off, in the game.
    I think it's weird that you want to keep the "toughness" and RNG of getting a 120 fishing powerscroll for the sake of allowing people to make gold yet you make a post during every single event that essentially requests to water them down and make them easier. 

    At least that's how I see it....
Sign In or Register to comment.