Vendor Search Timing Out

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I liked the old days when you could just click exclude from Fel  and set the results high to low.

You could see every item on any shard within seconds.  Except the ones in fel.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Some nights it’s up some nights it’s down just like about everything else in this game.  Read reviews of UO from years and years ago, even before vendor search, and see exactly the same problems mentioned that people still complain about today.  It’s an old game, just accept that it has a lot of quirks that will always be there.  I use vendor search a lot and like a lot of other things in the game it frustrates me when they don’t work but I still enjoy playing the game.

They did try to fix it with a new version of vendor search a few years ago.  I thought overall it worked better than the current version although the print was so small it was hard to read.  But, after a trail period they went back to the old, now current, version of vendor search.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Note. I try it several times a night during a play session usually it’s up at least a little while at some point during the night.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Pawain said:
    I liked the old days when you could just click exclude from Fel  and set the results high to low.

You could see every item on any shard within seconds.  Except the ones in fel.
    ^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    I remember 7 years ago there was a website where I can perform vendor searches for all shards...

After the NLS project is completed, why not create a browser-based vendor system, where we can shop via browser and the purchased item will be shipped from vendor shard to player's mailbox. (Code is simply to delete the item from the vendor, and copy the item to the buyer shard)

Can such a database be more efficient if the search is not performed in-game? We can even browse  and order using our phone while traveling, taking a break at work, or during lunch. Then when we login to play in the evening, the item is already in our mailbox in our castle. 

Perhaps it can also be traded for gold or cash - to be decided by the seller. Why do we still stick to the old rules where we cannot trade digital items for cash. We have been buying digital books for years with real cash. It's time to modernise. 

Tada - problem solved, multiple wins for Dev, players, EA, shareholders, etc. 
    @Mesanna
    @Kyronix
    @Bleak

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    I remember 7 years ago there was a website where I can perform vendor searches for all shards...

After the NLS project is completed, why not create a browser-based vendor system, where we can shop via browser and the purchased item will be shipped from vendor shard to player's mailbox. (Code is simply to delete the item from the vendor, and copy the item to the buyer shard)

Can such a database be more efficient if the search is not performed in-game? We can even browse  and order using our phone while traveling, taking a break at work, or during lunch. Then when we login to play in the evening, the item is already in our mailbox in our castle. 

Perhaps it can also be traded for gold or cash - to be decided by the seller. Why do we still stick to the old rules where we cannot trade digital items for cash. We have been buying digital books for years with real cash. It's time to modernise. 

@ Mesanna
    @ Kyronix
    @ Bleak

That was SearchUO and the only vendors that were listed were the ones in Luna and he had to go to each house to ck their inventory.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Seth said:

@ Mesanna
    @ Kyronix
    @ Bleak

That was SearchUO and the only vendors that were listed were the ones in Luna and he had to go to each house to ck their inventory.
    The think the point being if a player can do it several years ago the developers should be able to do it better..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    Seth said:

@ Mesanna
    @ Kyronix
    @ Bleak

The think the point being if a player can do it several years ago the developers should be able to do it better..
    VS covers all vendors not just the ones in Luna and they search the database not go to each house individually.  I know what you are getting at but can they write/use a 3rd party program to interface with UO and extract that data (read only).
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    A few  things are certain Atlantic should have it's own database 
    Items labeled display only should never be scanned 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Imagine if we can search and buy via a shopping card in a web browser from any shard and get the items shipped to our home shard… wow…

McDougle said:
    A few  things are certain Atlantic should have it's own database 
    Items labeled display only should never be scanned 
    Every shard should have its own data base.  Display only items still have a price on them.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited February 2022
    Yep, VS is screwed up again! @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix Why can't y'all get this fixed?????????????? Isn't it your JOBS to do so? To put out a product that WORKS? Between all the bugs y'all don't bother to fix, the RMT's/scripting/cheating y'all continue to ALLOW, and current stuff that doesn't work, or is "rolled out" broken, this mess/shell of a once great game almost isn't worth playing. Much less PAYING FOR!!!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “It’s a lose lose situation for them if they improve the response time of the search. Because all this would mean is that people input more searches and place even greater demand on the service.
    Probably best to just leave it as is”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak Maybe it is time to kick EJ Accounts from VS totally, not just limit them.  Unlimited EJ Accounts equals unlimited searches no matter what time restrictions you put on them.  It is time to seriously consider your paying customers first.
    @ Mesanna @ Kyronix @ Bleak Maybe it is time to kick EJ Accounts from VS totally, not just limit them.  Unlimited EJ Accounts equals unlimited searches no matter what time restrictions you put on them.  It is time to seriously consider your paying customers first.
    My understanding is that EJ (endless scripter) accounts are no longer allowed to use vender search. If the Devs "reallowed" it, then they are very foolish! Yes, they NEED to consider their, for now, honest, paying customers. Not the ones who use UO as a JOB! 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    KHAN said:
    @ Mesanna @ Kyronix @ Bleak Maybe it is time to kick EJ Accounts from VS totally, not just limit them.  Unlimited EJ Accounts equals unlimited searches no matter what time restrictions you put on them.  It is time to seriously consider your paying customers first.
    My understanding is that EJ (endless scripter) accounts are no longer allowed to use vender search. If the Devs "reallowed" it, then they are very foolish! Yes, they NEED to consider their, for now, honest, paying customers. Not the ones who use UO as a JOB! 
    I do not have an EJ Account but it was mentioned on here that they could do a search every x amount of time spaced in-between each search so if that is true then with enough EJ Accounts you could do endless searches and I am sure that the people that write illegal programs could get the timing down.

Any body out there with an EJ Account are you allowed to do limited searches
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    edited February 2022
    Wow. Just searched, at 8:15 pm PST, for a bunch of slayer spell books on Atlantic using just the drop downs and VS was giving results within 5 seconds instead of timing out as usual.  Did a few searches for power scrolls and the results were coming back in under 20 seconds. @Bleak if you did something it was wonderful.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Search works way faster if you can avoid keywords.

Been like that for a while ;)
    edited February 2022
    VS has been working but inconsistently, and I assumed it should be affected by the number of concurrent searches or around a publish.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    I have removed a number of posts that were significantly in breach of rule one of this forum. Please re-think the way you are wording your posts.

Mariah said:
    I have removed a number of posts that were significantly in breach of rule one of this forum. Please re-think the way you are wording your posts.

ROFL Or, here is a crazy thought. How about we get some communication, and perhaps a straight answer on when/if VS will EVER get fixed properly. It's the LACK of communication that causes the "problems". As (for now) paying customers, I feel we have a right to know what is going on! My opinion of course. But a VALID one!
  • Mariah said:

I understand that you have to remove posts that bring the true facts agaisnt the poor service or communication between the paid customers and Devs. But other than post our frustrations here, how can we address the fact that something need to be done? You will say email the person responsible for it??? but she never answer the emails. 
    so please tell us, How can we address the situation? we ARE paying for a service and the minimum that we are asking is for MORE communication. But everytime we the CUSTOMERS get mad, because the lack of communication and we come here , because this is the ONLY method of communication we have, than we have to deal with posts been deleted. so Please let us know HOW can we get their attention?

They have tried to fix VS many times recently.  This last publish was supposed to do something with the data base.

But one problem is when someone says VS is not working.  Some poster will try it at 2 AM for an item that only needs 1 click menu and they will post that VS is fine.

So who are the Devs going to believe?  An angry person that disparages the devs or the calm person that says VS is working.

If you look thru this thread, I stopped posting because a couple of posters kept saying it is working every time I said it was not.

It works often if you can use the clickys  but when you need to use words it times out when things are busy.  There  are no clickys for deco items.  If you check all the boxes you get only armor and jewelry.
    OK  I just found and opened an old account, it is now an EJ Account and guess what I can use VS.  I did a search with no problem and then tried another search and it told me I had to wait 1 minute to do another search.  Well I am 10000000000% sure that there are people out there that could open multiple EJ Accounts and write a script to do searches with a time delay so no two accounts are searching at the exact time.  @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak @Misk it is time you put the people that pay your wages first and remove EJ Accounts from any and all Vendor Searches.  Remove EJ Accounts and lets see what happens.
    OK  I just found and opened an old account, it is now an EJ Account and guess what I can use VS.  I did a search with no problem and then tried another search and it told me I had to wait 1 minute to do another search.  Well I am 10000000000% sure that there are people out there that could open multiple EJ Accounts and write a script to do searches with a time delay so no two accounts are searching at the exact time.  @ Mesanna @ Kyronix @ Bleak @ Misk it is time you put the people that pay your wages first and remove EJ Accounts from any and all Vendor Searches.  Remove EJ Accounts and lets see what happens.
    THIS!!!!!! 
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Optimizing vendor search would require complete overhaul of server-code.   That would take 100 years and is never gonna happen.

Accept the fact that you're playing an almost 30 year old game or move on.

edited February 2022
    @Drago it is not the game it is who they are allowing to use VS, kick EJ Accounts out of VS and lets see if that doesn't help clean it up, sure helped with Gen Chat
    Vendor search got crowded when Commission vendors came out. It just keeps getting more crowded with items because players can put more items on vendors now.

It's funny to see the same posters blame EJ for every problem in UO.  Funny to pretend there is an army of EJ accounts on LS doing endless searches as part of this fantasy.
    Kind of funny that the same people defend EJ Accounts when a vast majority is used to cheat with and I am so glad that some people think they know how everything works.  Wait I thought LS didn't have a problem.
    Kind of funny that the same people defend EJ Accounts when a vast majority is used to cheat with and I am so glad that some people think they know how everything works.  Wait I thought LS didn't have a problem.
    I have never seen an EJ account botting anything.  Do see players using them for the very limited play tho.  Like I said YOU are saying there are bots making LS VS slow.  not me.  Keep me out of your fantasies. please.