Underwater bugs

ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
edited February 2022 in Bugs
  1. If you take a tamed paralithode out, you can now get stuck at the dock steps, and paging a GM/reporting stuck is the only way out.  This happens if you walk up/down the step (a single tile).  "you cannot proceed with pets under your control" loop.
  2. It appears it is not possible to take a tamed paralithode (from underwater) back into the underwater area, if you walk too far onto the dock.  Apparently some recent change affected this?  The paralithode happily goes up and down the waterfall any number of times, walks on water indefinitely, up and down the steps of the dock - but cannot be brought from the sand on the north side of the dock back to the water.  There is some sort of inconsistency at play here with the game world physics.  It doesn't seem quite right that a creature native to the area cannot re-enter.
  3. What circumstances cause the tamed paralithode to simply be deleted?

Please add the hydra to the list of tame-ables.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “ I thought these disappear when you reach the docks, what are you taking them to the docks for?
    what are you trying to do with them?”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited February 2022
    There's a place to rez there, right?

Question re: what causes them to be deleted directed at broadsword -- only ones who can confirm authoritatively.  Would be a shame for people to invest training these up, scrolls, etc, if they can just be deleted for unpublished reasons, eh?
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    They are only to be used once, or more times if you do multiple in a row. They aren't to be taken out.
    “you’ve never been able to take these out of the underwater to my knowledge, I am very confused about this thread”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited February 2022
    They can be taken out, they can be trained, and levelled up from 3 slots.  Would be a shame to lose 100s of millions of scrolls eh?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    They can be taken out, they can be trained, and levelled up from 3 slots.  Would be a shame to lose 100s of millions of scrolls eh?
    The Tamers Bible https://www.uo-cah.com/ has nothing on these.  Please provide a link to your claim.
    edited February 2022
    Just lore it frodo.  You can see it's 3 slot, and has a training button, it behaves like any other pet in this regard.  It can be tamed with overcapped wrestle, etc, not unlike a lesser hiryu,

uo-cah is not complete, there is no wolf spider entry as an example.
    So where is the link to this pet @ForeverFun
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    They can be trained but I thought you had to stay down there with them until you were finished using them and they go bye bye.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    They can be trained but I thought you had to stay down there with them until you were finished using them and they go bye bye.
    can you put scrolls on them or better yet why would you if they just go poof
    edited February 2022
    They may go poof under certain circumstances, but not all circumstances.
    See question #3 in my first post.
    UOGuide
    Paralithodes are living hidden in the sand around the Ararat shipwreck and will attack by surprise, but can be located by their typical sounds. They can be tamed, but must be beaten into subjugation first (80% of their health). They are only meant to be used within the Ararat Shipwreck and will disappear as soon as you leave the area when reaching the docks in Gravewater lake. A Paralithode uses two control slots.

UO Wiki

These can be subjugated and then tamed to provide a temporary pet, a boon to tamers who’s pets are unable to follow them into the depths. Paralithodes cannot leave their underwater home and so cannot be bonded. They require two follower slots have around 900 hp, 300+ strength, are melle fighters, do base damage of 20 -24 and eat fruit and veg.

Hidden beneath the sand and likely to ambush you are the crab-like Paralithodes. These can be subjugated and tamed as temporary replacements for tamer’s pets stabled from the dock.

They were NEVER meant to leave the sea so they fixed a bug.
    edited February 2022
    That doesn't answer my question #3, nor does it speak to the majority of what I called out in the original post and follow ons.

I will note that you can release the pet in order to get out of the loop referenced in #1 -- but that shouldn't be required.  The other practicality issues around there being a rez point at that location also still stand.  It is not uncommon to be the only person in that area, depending on what shard you are on.

According to the info you provided above, another possible bug is that paralithodes spawn as 3-4 slot pets.  If they were 2 slot pets, you'd be able to have 2 tag along to help.  Perhaps that got messed up in the pet re-leveling work?

That doesn't answer my question #3, nor does it speak to the majority of what I called out in the original post and follow ons.

I will note that you can release the pet in order to get out of the loop referenced in #1 -- but that shouldn't be required.  The other practicality issues around there being a rez point at that location also still stand.  It is not uncommon to be the only person in that area, depending on what shard you are on.

According to the info you provided above, another possible bug is that paralithodes spawn as 3-4 slot pets.  If they were 2 slot pets, you'd be able to have 2 tag along to help.  Perhaps that got messed up in the pet re-leveling work?

Where are you wanting to take this pet?  
    edited February 2022
    This pet is designed for use in the underwater scenario.
    (the speculation above about where the pet goes is not at the core of the questions here - though the dock rez location is a factor).

Update:  one not documented case where the pet goes poof is if you lose connection in the underwater scenario, and log back in (few min later).  Pet gone.  Training/etc all lost.
    “I am still unable to ascertain the problem here. Very strange thread indeed”
    edited February 2022
    Summarizing several issues I've called out in this thread, and expanding a bit:

1. Paralithodes spawn as 3 or 4 slot pets, rather than the officially documented 2 slot pets.  It used to be possible to use 2 of these pets at a time.  This appears to be a code regression, possibly stemming from other changes related to taming.  
    2. Paralithodes are trainable pets, meant to accompany a tamer in the underwater scenario.  Tamers generally skill up pets, which take time, to maximize the effectiveness of the pet.  Situations like losing connection while underwater can lead to the deletion of the pet and the associated investment.  Undoubtedly, there are other cases where this deletion can happen too (stay tuned?).

Possible fix examples:

1. Paralithodes should spawn as 2 slot pets, to once again allow 2 to be used by a single tamer.  If no plan to change this, fix the official UO documentation to reflect the change to 3-4 slot pet.
    2. Paralithodes could be tamed fully skilled up, or scaled post tame skills to the taming skill of the tamer.
    3. Paralithodes could to be changed to be stable-able at the docks, with bonding support.
    4. Fix the various unexpected cases where paralithode pets are simply deleted.
    5. Allow hydras to be tameable, to increase the diversity of pets that can be used.
    6. Allow other sea oriented pets easy entry to underwater, like tritons.  In other words, *officially* make the underwater scenario more accessible.

At a high level, obvious options for broadsword:

1. Do nothing.
    2. Make the underwater scenario more accessible (larger variety of pets allowed), make the paralithodes more usable, etc.
    3. Play a game of whack a mole fixing issues stemming from code changes that are oriented at making the underwater scenario less accessible.  Reading other posts in these forums, a few cases of this are already popping up.  Most dev teams aren't fond of this sort of tread mill.  I can imagine GM's support cycles are going to be occupied here as well.

My free advice is go with #2 - make the scenario more accessible.

As a side note, if broadsword and the GM's want to catch likely multi account scripters, watch what's happening with meelee (no pets) combat down there.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Summarizing several issues I've called out in this thread, and expanding a bit:

1. Paralithodes spawn as 3 or 4 slot pets, rather than the officially documented 2 slot pets.  It used to be possible to use 2 of these pets at a time.  This appears to be a code regression, possibly stemming from other changes related to taming.  
    2. Paralithodes are trainable pets, meant to accompany a tamer in the underwater scenario.  Tamers generally skill up pets, which take time, to maximize the effectiveness of the pet.  Situations like losing connection while underwater can lead to the deletion of the pet and the associated investment.  Undoubtedly, there are other cases where this deletion can happen too (stay tuned?).

Possible fix examples:

1. Paralithodes should spawn as 2 slot pets, to once again allow 2 to be used by a single tamer.  If no plan to change this, fix the official UO documentation to reflect the change to 3-4 slot pet.
    2. Paralithodes could be tamed fully skilled up, or scaled post tame skills to the taming skill of the tamer.
    3. Paralithodes could to be changed to be stable-able at the docks, with bonding support.
    4. Fix the various unexpected cases where paralithode pets are simply deleted.
    5. Allow hydras to be tameable, to increase the diversity of pets that can be used.
    6. Allow other sea oriented pets easy entry to underwater, like tritons.  In other words, *officially* make the underwater scenario more accessible.

At a high level, obvious options for broadsword:

1. Do nothing.
    2. Make the underwater scenario more accessible (larger variety of pets allowed), make the paralithodes more usable, etc.
    3. Play a game of whack a mole fixing issues stemming from code changes that are oriented at making the underwater scenario less accessible.  Reading other posts in these forums, a few cases of this are already popping up.  Most dev teams aren't fond of this sort of tread mill.  I can imagine GM's support cycles are going to be occupied here as well.

My free advice is go with #2 - make the scenario more accessible.

As a side note, if broadsword and the GM's want to catch likely multi account scripters, watch what's happening with meelee (no pets) combat down there.
    Maybe have special under sea stables!!
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    "okay...
    but none of this is a bug"
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The bug appears to be Paralithodes are not behaving as they were designed to do.
    edited February 2022
    Mariah said:
    The bug appears to be Paralithodes are not behaving as they were designed to do.

Can we take them to Luna or not?  

They are supposed to stay in the deep.  How do I get one in my stable?

If they go on a step can I put a hitching post in a house by the docks and stable it?
    edited February 2022
    Not sure the team wants them in luna.  They could get deleted in that area.

However, the natural place to *support* stabling (and un-stabling without deletion) is the hitching post at the underwater dock.  That would be along the lines of my #2 above (more accessible underwater scenario).

Also, don't forget the likely bug where you can get stuck on the dock steps with a paralithode in tow - if you walk to/from the step.

“Everything appears to be working as intended with these 
    (did find a weird flagging bug but need to reproduce, will create a separate thread when found)”
    edited March 2022
    “I managed to reproduce what the OP was saying, 
    I did not have to call a GM though. 

It was a real non event, i tamed a palithode and left it in the ship somewhere, (didn’t tell it to follow me) so when I went up to the surface to leave it didn’t get deleted like it should. When you get to the docks you get stuck as you can’t leave or enter with followers, so I just logged out and back in to delete the pet.

A system message tells you you cannot proceed with followers so it was the logical step.
    Everything is working completely as intended I’m sure”

edited June 2022
    "The tamed Paralithodes are attacking pretty much any player including the owner, as if they are wild, even without doing their area effect,
    it doesn't harm them if they're not guilded but makes for very difficult to control.

Very easy to reproduce, they'll attack anyone and everyone"
    "additional information: when you use macro select nearest follower
    does not pick up your tamed paralithodes"
    Yoshi said:
    "additional information: when you use macro select nearest follower
    does not pick up your tamed paralithodes"

"seems to be picking them up now hmm"