Enhanced Client, anyone has a clue why this happens ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited January 2022 in General Discussions

I have an annoying thing which happens, but only with the Enhanced Client, not with the Classic Client.

In order to move the character, I hold the right mouse button and then drag the mouse cursor in the direction that I want the character to move.

Well, to STOP the character's movement, usually, one would only need to release the right mouse button and the character would come at a halt.

Well, sometimes, quite often, actually, this does NOT happen in the Enhanced Client....

That is, upon releasing the right mouse button, the character, but this is ONLY with the Enhanced Client, not with the Classic Client, the character as I was saying, keeps moving (even with the mouse right button NOT being pressed) as I move the mouse cursor around....

I need to repress the right mouse button a few times before the character actually stops moving.

Now, since this does not happen in the Classic Client, I think this has nothing to do with the mouse itself (i.e., for example, the right mouse button getting stuck, somehow) but, rather, with the way that the Enhanced Client interacts with the mouse right button...

That is, I suspect this being more of a software issue rather then a hardware one...

Has anyone else got this happening to them ?

Is there a way to get it fixed ?

Thanks.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    You are aware that if you hold the right mouse button down and also click the left button you will initiate 'follow cursor' in both clients? This means you need not hold the right mouse button down to keep moving. A single right click cancels this.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited January 2022
    Mariah said:
    You are aware that if you hold the right mouse button down and also click the left button you will initiate 'follow cursor' in both clients? This means you need not hold the right mouse button down to keep moving. A single right click cancels this.
    @Mariah

Thank you for the heads up.

I do prefer to hold the right button down when moving, because so, releasing it, I can better control my coming to a halt as compared to the LFT+RGHT mouse buttons follow cursor.

I just checked it out paying a whole lot of attention to NOT press the LEFT mouse button and only press the right mouse button and, indeed, there is times, in the Enhanced Client, when ONLY pressing and holding the right mouse button to move around, when I then release it, I STILL get the follow cursor movement even though, at no point, I ever pressed the left mouse button to initiate it...

What gives ?

Is there a way to deactivate the follow cursor, both in the Enhanced Client and the Classic Client ?

Thanks !
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "Actually i was missing this function in the EC the other month and had to turn it on somewhere in the options, so it can be enabled/disabled, at least in Pinco's not sure about default. 
    I'm unable to access my machine at this time to direct you to where exactly"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited January 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "Actually i was missing this function in the EC the other month and had to turn it on somewhere in the options, so it can be enabled/disabled, at least in Pinco's not sure about default. 
    If you turned the follow cursor on, I need to imagine, that this means, that you find it usefull, somehow...

May I ask why ?

Personally, I find it annoying because rather then enhancing the control of my character, I end up moving it in directions I do not want and not halting it the split tile that I want...

Bottom line, I cannot see how and in what ways follow cursor could be seen as usefull...

So, may I ask why you turned it on ? Why do you instead find it usefull ?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    popps said:
    Yoshi said:
    If you turned the follow cursor on, I need to imagine, that this means, that you find it usefull, somehow...

May I ask why ?

Personally, I find it annoying because rather then enhancing the control of my character, I end up moving it in directions I do not want and not halting it the split tile that I want...

Bottom line, I cannot see how and in what ways follow cursor could be seen as usefull...

So, may I ask why you turned it on ? Why do you instead find it usefull ?
    I use that cursor follow function when running a long distance, e.g.
    1. running trade routes.
    2. running to a champspawn by foot.
    3. running away from a pker  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    ^this

It does hurt ones hands after awhile holding the button down on ones mouse, so this feature is indeed useful, as in real live the cruise control on a car is useful so ones foot does not get weary holding the gas pedal down.

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yeah walking long distances is a chore when holding the mouse button down. I use follow cursor quite often. 

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Yoshi said:
    It would be the enable auto run option
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    When riding long distances this feature is quite useful.  You can just point your player in the direction you want it to go and then take a break while it rides cross country.  Use it all the time but to be honest did not know how it worked.  Knew the mouse had something to do with it so just kept clicking on the mouse until my character just started moving on his own.

• TimSt said:
    Yoshi said:
    It would be the enable auto run option

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• popps said:
    Mariah said:
    @ Mariah

I do prefer to hold the right button down when moving, because so, releasing it, I can better control my coming to a halt as compared to the LFT+RGHT mouse buttons follow cursor.

I just checked it out paying a whole lot of attention to NOT press the LEFT mouse button and only press the right mouse button and, indeed, there is times, in the Enhanced Client, when ONLY pressing and holding the right mouse button to move around, when I then release it, I STILL get the follow cursor movement even though, at no point, I ever pressed the left mouse button to initiate it...

What gives ?

Is there a way to deactivate the follow cursor, both in the Enhanced Client and the Classic Client ?

Thanks !
    I have the same issue.  First i thought unchecking Enable Autorun would fix it but it did not.  It's annoying when your running and want to stop only to keep going then keep clicking until you actually do stop.  @popps I know what your going thru!! 
    Reinquist said:
    popps said:
    Mariah said:
    @ Mariah

What gives ?

Thanks !
    I have the same issue.  First i thought unchecking Enable Autorun would fix it but it did not.  It's annoying when your running and want to stop only to keep going then keep clicking until you actually do stop.  @ popps I know what your going thru!! 

@Reinquist

It is really an annoying issue.... I wished they fixed it.....

In the Classic Client, though, I do not have it... so, it looks like it is something pertaining to the EC for some reasons.

Out of curiosity, are you experiencing it in the Enhanced Client without Pinco, or with Pinco's UI ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I'm not entirely sure why the two of you are seeing this problem. I don't have it, a single right click disables movement every time.
  • Once again please lock this. Question answered with big pictures so there can be NO confusion. Right on time Popps will now derail his own thread by branching off in all directions to gain post counts. Now asking about other user interfaces to add debate points 
    There are instances where unclicking the right mouse bottom doesn’t seem to register and you find yourself still moving around. I find it happens it laggy areas often. 
    YES! Have the same problem when the game is lagging.  Avatar gets difficult to control and this feature gets activated to often by accident.  But, otherwise I have no problems with it when the game is working normally.  I use EC.  I don’t use this feature when I am fighting and don’t have a problem with it accidentally activating when the game is working properly.
    I think the issue is that the lag causes a loss of information to the server (mouse button release in this case). That’s my guess. 
    Yes, when I say something there is a noticeable delay.
    To me, though, it happens also when I do not experience particular LAG.... it is not consistent, though, sometimes I experience it, sometimes not....
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Sounds like a service provider not a client problem.
    Sounds like a service provider not a client problem.
    Can you please elaborate it more ?

If it was a Service Provider problem, not a Client problem, why is it that it happens to me only with the Enhanced Client and NOT also with the Classic Client ?

If it was due to my Service Provider, it should also occur with UO's Classic Client, right ?

Yet, it does not, I only see it when I use UO's Enhanced Client....
     Not a service provider problem.