Skill gain in NL

Will we see a change in skill gain with NL sitting on a boat in haven finishing up all my characters resisting spells that didn't gain much despite the hours spent fighting casters in hythloth.  I know all the tricks i want change so the best way to gain skills is through normal use and game play 
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,286
    Think training for many UO skills is boring and repetitive with poisoning at or near the top of the list if you are a mage.  Don’t think that can be changed due to the age of the game. But, most skills you can grandmaster in a week or so if you spend all of you play time working on the skill.
    Melee skills though think you can raise by fighting spawns where you are constantly killing stuff.  Would like to see a skill based system based more on what and less on how much.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 2022
    Is it interesting to play a mmo game where your trained skills get deleted every year, after each wipe, rinse and repeat?

Why not do this on production shard now, delete and we all restart again tomorrow :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,896
    Seth said:
    Is it interesting to play a mmo game where your trained skills get deleted every year, after each wipe, rinse and repeat?

Why not do this on production shard now, delete and we all restart again tomorrow :D
    It is a different gameplay approach, to my opinion, whereas gameplay would be paramount over "accumulation" of items....

No point to spend countless hours farming higher end artifacts which would then go "poof" at the end of the Year... instead, time would be better spent by playing to make one's own character a "name", fame, notoriety.....

Basically, at least to my viewing, the Legacy Shard is the nemesis of the Production Shards...

Whereas the Production Shards are focused around items accumulation, in the Legacy Shard, I understand, playing to accumulate items will be meaningless....
  • TimTim Posts: 783
    popps said:

Whereas the Production Shards are focused around items accumulation, in the Legacy Shard, I understand, playing to accumulate items will be meaningless....
    They are ALL meaningless pretty pixels. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,186
    Seth said:

Guess you didn't get the memo that skills ARE NOT wiped.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Seth said:

I was under the impression that you had option to transfer to home shard but everything including characters was deleted or reset if only we had notes to read through..
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 508
    McDougle said:
    Seth said:

I was under the impression that you had option to transfer to home shard but everything including characters was deleted or reset if only we had notes to read through..
    Citation 112. https://www.uo-cah.com/new-legacy/everything-we-know
    This is a wonderful third party that does tremendous work for the UO community but shouldn't we have a official version...
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    Just for future reference, The official version is citation 112.... That's what the citations are, links to the source of the info (the time stamp for where the information is talked about in the official broadsword video).

You might benefit from watching the videos so you don't need to ask questions about NL that have already been officially answered and you can get those directly from YouTube if you wish not to use our webpage.
    Violet said:
    Just for future reference, The official version is citation 112.... That's what the citations are, links to the source of the info (the time stamp for where the information is talked about in the official broadsword video).

You might benefit from watching the videos so you don't need to ask questions about NL that have already been officially answered and you can get those directly from YouTube if you wish not to use our webpage.
    I use and love your website frequently violet and greatly appreciate all you do but want official versions i have watched all the YouTube videos but am not going to and it shouldn't be expected of customers to search for information that should readily be available on the official website i for the life of me can't comprehend why this somehow makes me the bad guy...
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,286
    Where are the citations?  Thanks.
    Arnold7 said:
    From the official page:
    https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard.  At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.  Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

=== 
    Is the only official written memo above? Then it did not state clearly if the character with same skills and stats can be reborn in the next season.

But it was mentioned in a so-called "citation"112. https://youtu.be/vc6cm10hPPQ?t=885 which links to the exact timestamp this was mentioned by the Dev in their video. 

As always, we need to rely on 3rd party websites for the information, such as uoguide and uo-cah. If they are closed one day, we are no longer getting full information from uo.com. Sigh...

~shrugs~

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,911
    Seth said:

As always, we need to rely on 3rd party websites for the information, such as uoguide and uo-cah. If they are closed one day, we are no longer getting full information from uo.com. Sigh...

~shrugs~

You are literally posting a question and answer from the UO website and showing a video link made by UO, which is also on the UO website. 

Does another website have to also post it to make it real?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited January 2022
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:

~shrugs~

You are literally posting a question and answer from the UO website and showing a video link made by UO, which is also on the UO website. 

Does another website have to also post it to make it real?

The video IS made by uo.com 
     https://youtu.be/vc6cm10hPPQ

This link to the time stamped at t=885s was found only at UO-CAH.
     https://youtu.be/vc6cm10hPPQ?t=885

How is someone directing you to a point in a UO video making us have to rely on a third party site? You can't understand the original without help?
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,896
    edited January 2022
    Seth said:
    Arnold7 said:
    From the official page:
    https://uo.com/ultima-online-new-legacy/

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard.  At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.  Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

=== 
    Is the only official written memo above? Then it did not state clearly if the character with same skills and stats can be reborn in the next season.

But it was mentioned in a so-called "citation"112. https://youtu.be/vc6cm10hPPQ?t=885 which links to the exact timestamp this was mentioned by the Dev in their video. 

~shrugs~

At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.

Keep in mind though, that, to my understanding, there will not be Scrolls of Power on the New Legacy Shard so, the most that players will be able to raise up skills will be 100.0.And only up to those, they will be able to transfer to a Production Shard.

And I am assuming, the same for Stats which it means that the New Legacy Shard characters will at most end up with the Base total stats of 225 (or is it 230 ?).
    That gives me an idea. I can transfer them back to any shard, so I will finally have a built character on another shard.
    Pawain said:
    That gives me an idea. I can transfer them back to any shard, so I will finally have a built character on another shard.
    Well a semi built character with non compatible equipment  ;)
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Well a semi built character with non compatible equipment  ;)
    I hate skilling that much. I can bring items to a shard.

Just need a 100 mage for making gates. So just for easy content.
    So you are going to take a year and make a character you can't use without work on LS will you not get gear for Pawain or Allen?
    McDougle said:
    So you are going to take a year and make a character you can't use without work on LS will you not get gear for Pawain or Allen?
    I have 4 accounts to take to NL. So I can build up a few guys and leave a guy on my main there and bring one back with titles and deco.
    At the moment it's 2 guys on each account that can play NL.
    NL is not final in any way. So we don't know the final mechanics.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,059
    Pawain said:
    NL is not final in any way. So we don't know the final mechanics.
    I think that's what @McDougle was saying from the start; it's been almost 2 years since they announced the "biggest announcement in UO history" and at this point there are still so many details missing that anything regarding NL is just speculation. I will also add that I think it's only that speculation that keeps NL as a talking point because personally I lost interest about 18 months ago.
    They don't need you two to return to UO. You are already here.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,059
    Fair point. That said, what was the purpose of trying to build hype around their "big announcement" if they go 2 years with minimal updates?

Fact of the matter is that realistically; only the people who currently play UO are really talking about NL (even then it's only a subset). Anyone else who was thinking about returning or people who didn't know about UO have very likely lost interest over the past 24 months. 
    I would have been embarrassed by that. Maybe they were told to do it at that time for some reason we may never know.  I guess the higher ups thought a small team could whip it out in a couple of months.

I'm sure the story behind it is interesting.
    Less than a year until 25th anniversary if they don't have solid details by now ...
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    McDougle said:
    Less than a year until 25th anniversary if they don't have solid details by now ...
    They said it’s going to be ready this year. Why not just wait and see?