Is Velocity worth the property slot when imbuing (Comp bow / Soul Glaive)?

I've recently dusted off my archer for krampus (needs to fill less things in a trade run) and upgraded a few pieces which has me looking to make some new bows which has me thinking if velocity is even worth adding. 

I know this is a somewhat ambiguous question because it's likely case by case but generally speaking what are you archers/throwers adding to your weapons when using one that is imbued? Is anyone really looking to fit on velocity (or reforge an overcapped velocity stat) on your weapon?

My ranged templates typically do not use the mace and shields (trying to max stats) but do try to to get the 100 DI on my suit so it frees up a property on the weapon. I also typically use a comp bow or Soul glaive. Assuming there is a slayer for whatever I'm fighting my typical weapon has mana leech /  HLD (no M&S to proc this) / hit spell / slayer / SSI. 

In the event there isn't a slayer to use or I dont need SSI (either getting enough SSI/Stam on suit or enhance with Yew wood post imbuing) would Velocity be the next choice or should I go with life leech (or stam to keep max swinging) or some other property?
  1. Is velocity worth the slot it takes on an imbued weapon?2 votes
    1. Yes - Add it as much as possible
      50.00%
    2. No - Don't waste the space when imbuing
      50.00%
  2. How much velocity should be added?2 votes
    1. Make it a priority to overcap or max it
      50.00%
    2. Whatever is leftover in points after every other property is maxed
        0.00%
    3. I don't think velocity should added at all
      50.00%

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I thought they had fixed an issue with slayers not working with velocity but my orc slayer seems to not be working...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Velocity is a damage modifier found only on archery and throwing weapons.
    physical damage is added for each tile between the attacker and the target when the arrow strikes (#tiles x3 – max 30 points), if the property is triggered.

Is supposed to  work with a slayer now.  I think Yoshi said it does.

If you are making a bunch of bows or throwing weapons for Beacon killing, Any encounter where you can stand at a distance and shoot, including group play.  I would say it is something to consider. You do not have to activate it so your guys that are just shooting will do more damage.

More specific, you can lore your intended target and see what its physical and energy resists are and choose between velocity and hit lightning.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited December 2021
    Thanks @Pawain.

I should have been more clear on my question about velocity. I know that it deals physical damage based on how many tiles away you are but since physical resist factors in to that (and most mobs have high physical resist) typically it's much less than 30 points per successful hit. If memory serves correct on the times I have used velocity; it's typically been under 10 per successful proc.

I factored that in to the question.

That said, 50% velocity takes 140 property weight to add something that does, let's say for argument purposes, 10hp per successful proc. Comp bows are already tight on points (550 total) so while I understand 10hp can add up in a long fight would this be a property people really look to prioritize given that it's 50% max proc** and that uses 140 property weight which is valuable on a bow (AND that's if you can keep max distance)?? 

**I personally think that adding other hit spells like lightning / mana leech messes with the equation and parry might come into to play because it hardly seems like it's hitting every other hit
    Just an update that from 9-10 tiles back my thrower was doing 3 damage with velocity which is far worse than my modest assumption of 10hp per proc.
    A person on the other forum speaks highly of it. 

But your test mob shows no benefit from the cost.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    With slayers?  I know max my hit lightning does 14, except some generals where it hits for 70ish
    I promise it's still broken with slayers but test for yourselves if in doubt...
    McDougle said:
    I promise it's still broken with slayers but test for yourselves if in doubt...
    The only velocity bow I have is Halawas.
    It is an Eodon slayer.
    I assume all the Dinos are Eodon.

I tried it on a Naj and a Tri.  

Normal hits on the Tri were between 18 and 22.
    Normal on the Naj was around 48.

When velocity went off it added to the damage.

I do not plan on using the property on any Bows I make.

The problem before the fix was:

When velocity hit, the damage would be non slayer damage plus a separate velocity damage.

After fix it is using the slayer damage.  As long as these 2 Mobs are considered Eodon.
    temp.bmp 282.6K
    Maybe it comes down to personal preference (and build) but during my testing against a few different higher end mobs (Krampus / Scalis / Exodus) with the 1 velocity bow I have; I did not see a clear cut reason to have it as 1 of the 5 properties.

That said, in the case of Scalis / Exodus where there is no slayer and leech life either hurts you or doesn't work there I could see adding Velocity just because that would be 2 properties that open up and there could be a slot open for velocity (but I'd argue it would simply get whatever remaining points the bow has and I wouldn't try to max it out). 
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited January 2022
    On my primary "all purpose bow", I run velocity & hit lightning. At max distance, velocity for me can hit (depending on the mob) between 9-18. If you do not normally fight near max distance, it is a waste of a property.
    On my primary "all purpose bow", I run velocity & hit lightning. At max distance, velocity for me can hit (depending on the mob) between 9-18. If you do not normally fight near max distance, it is a waste of a property.
    I think we all want to stay at max distance but unfortunately monsters swarm to us . It at times makes no sense because any monster that cast should seek to stay at max distance as well not run up to the sampire...
  • McDougle said:
    I think we all want to stay at max distance but unfortunately monsters swarm to us . It at times makes no sense because any monster that cast should seek to stay at max distance as well not run up to the sampire...
    This game ceased making any sense a decade or so ago.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    McDougle said:
    Absolutely....

This is why I see Throwing as an impossible combat skill....

The fact that, depending on the Throwing Weapon the best damage is only achieved as a "fixed" range is, basically, impossible to achieve since either the Thrower moves all the time to stay alive or the monsters swarming around the Thrower makes it impossible to be able to control that perfect range.

Basically, to my opinion it is an impossible range to be able to maintain....

Out of chance, by accident, a few throws might land at that perfect range but, most of the time it would be at a range much different as what that "perfect" range is....

Absolutely....

This is why I see Throwing as an impossible combat skill....

The fact that, depending on the Throwing Weapon the best damage is only achieved as a "fixed" range is, basically, impossible to achieve since either the Thrower moves all the time to stay alive or the monsters swarming around the Thrower makes it impossible to be able to control that perfect range.

Basically, to my opinion it is an impossible range to be able to maintain....

Out of chance, by accident, a few throws might land at that perfect range but, most of the time it would be at a range much different as what that "perfect" range is....
    Throwing itself working perfectly fine you must dance is all now gargoyles being unable to achieve the damage reduction of a swampy due to racial discrimination is another case....