trade runs and krampus and dock sitters

and odds of a drop oh my 
right now people do three runs then go camp the trade minister waiting for others to do the work and spawn krampus 
So how about doing 3 runs gets a drop but its tier one minion's hat, naughty elf armor etc. Six runs gets you tier two and so on ....
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    edited December 2021
    NO that's just stupid, when there is more then 7 people doing runs noone will ever have time to do 3 runs and you want to make it 6,then you can kill every third or 6th krampus if you need to farm up runs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Agree with Chrille.  When LS gets into it they spawn him before I can get 3 runs in.  I am glad I can do a few toons with 3 runs so I can take those when they spawn him fast.

And you are calling those stupid armors higher tier?  I just want the new stuff every time, I have the rest.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Those players are sitting there so they can see the announcement.  Some have other toons they are either running a route with or doing other stuff while they wait.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I just feel if you put in 20 runs you should have shot at better rewards if we all just do 3 then wait he'd never get spawned 
    edited December 2021
    Maybe group activities are not for you.

There is plenty of more selfish content.
    You let your dislike cloud yourself I'm doing 20 trade runs this is selfish how? 
    Because you want better stuff just because you play on a shard with no population.
    Thank you for your opinions on this matter 
  • Truth is McDougle when you go to the docks and see someone parked you don’t really know how many runs they may have gotten in that day before there were enough people on to finally get Krampus to spawn. 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    Yeah mcdougle...your anwser is so bad...for the solution so you want people to do 20 runs and what do you think they will do same all wait for krampus to spawn at dock? Maybe next time think about your thread before writting one...we all know you like to have many opens..are you in competition with pops?
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    Very bad idea. Sure, when it's slower I do more runs to get Krampus to spawn faster, but when more people are on doing them, I'm lucky to get three. The reward for doing more is he spawns faster. 
    Fortis said:
    Yeah mcdougle...your anwser is so bad...for the solution so you want people to do 20 runs and what do you think they will do same all wait for krampus to spawn at dock? Maybe next time think about your thread before writting one...we all know you like to have many opens..are you in competition with pops?

My point is that if everyone was doing runs instead of a few it would be great...
    But you do not understand the game mechanics for this event.  You could just do the runs needed to get the Best teir rewards that YOU decide upon and don't go to Krampus before that many runs.

Then go once and get the item you want, and you are done.

I can understand the frustration of being on a shard that is so dead that no one is doing runs.

But when you do something for the first time and do not understand the game mechanics of said event, and want to change how it works, you start sounding like another poster that does the same thing.
    Not sure why you keep bringing me and what shard i might play up but let me illustrate for you there's 20 people doing runs 17 of them stop after 3 while the other three do runs until Krampus spawns have the 17  sitters earned the same rewards?
    edited December 2021
    17 x 3 = 51  not counting your runs  Krampus spawns at around 25 runs on avg.  

You are exaggerating about how busy your shard is. If you did 20 runs and Krampus has not spawned.  Those sitters have done 0 runs for that round.

But yes, Krampus has worked great by allowing everyone to get a reward at 3 runs.  Some stop at 3 runs, some do 3 runs on multiple toons, some keep doing runs till he spawns.  Some have time to do 3 runs and are able to wait until their next play time to go to Krampus.  Some do 1 run a day and get to get a drop on the 4th day.

We all have the same rules.  Krampus has been one of the smoothest events and it has been around for years.
    So if there are 20 people doing runs everyone just does one and Krampus spawns?
    edited December 2021
    McDougle said:
    So if there are 20 people doing runs everyone just does one and Krampus spawns?
    Yes Last Night on LS we all killed a Krampus and went back to trade runs.  He spawned again before most of us got 2 runs in.  I took a banksitting toon so I would not waste my 2 runs I got in.

He can spawn at 21 runs.  So, if 8 players are doing it, they all wont get 3 runs.

Yes if 20 people are doing runs at the same time, nobody will get in 3 runs.

21 runs, and he has an increasing chance of spawning on the next run.

If you have done 2 runs and he spawns, you should stay away or just go and kill minions and do not damage Krampus.  It is better to have the guaranteed chance for a drop.

I have 3 accounts logged in usually.  I do runs with 2 of them and stop at 3 runs.  The guy that does not do runs will go to Krampus if he appears before any of my guys has 3 runs.  He rarely gets a drop.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I usually do my 3 in the early mornings then go do other things until the evening.

We have done krampus continuously on Origin...I missed tonight because I was not home. There are more people here then you think.

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Sometimes I find myself waiting at the docks for a while because of cancelling trade orders and waiting to get new ones. 
  • @McDougle this thread is full of people explaining why you can't be sure why anyone might be parked at the docks instead of doing another trade run. Are there some that do their 3 and that's it? Do they sit and wait for others to drive the spawn? Yes. And I suppose if you pay enough attention, you can figure out who they are. Either way, I don't want to be punished for how they play.

It's also true others sitting at the docks might have done a lot of runs and are taking a break. Or as dvvid said, they cancelled a run and are letting the timer run on getting a new one.

The other night I'd done quite a number of runs, off and on, as time allowed during the day. At this particular point the spawn was creeping up. A couple folks, recently home from work, were trying to get their three in. I said something to the effect, I was going to ride the road, holding off dropping goods. My thinking was it might give them a chance to get third run in before the pop. I could just as easily have gone and sat at a dock. Someone else in chat inferred it was a foolish waste of my time. Whatever, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. They didn't agree.

Plenty of times people do their part and miss the actual hunt because the timing is off. Real life calls. Or they struggle to find the location (that would be me). They're out in the middle of the ocean on a run, etc. So maybe they'll sit the next one out at the docks. Again, my point is, you just don't know. Other times, if enough people are playing, it can be tough to finish the three runs before the next pop. For most players it'll all even out. 

If things are going too slowly give a shout out in chat and say so. Maybe some will grab another run. Others won't. Just play your game. 
  • Larisa said:
    I usually do my 3 in the early mornings then go do other things until the evening.

We have done krampus continuously on Origin...I missed tonight because I was not home. There are more people here then you think.
    Gawd @Larisa, you're making us sound like Siege now :p  
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    @Pawain 's math checks out. If there are more than 8 people actively doing runs then Krampus should spawn (on average) around once everyone has 3 runs in. 

2 things I do want to confirm though with everyone:  

1. I think I saw above if you do 2 runs (or let's say even 3) and Krampus spawns that as long as you do not damage him those 3 runs carry over to the next spawn... I didn't think that was correct. I thought once Krampus spawns (regardless if you damage him or not) and you are logged in; that resets your trade run requirement. I once logged in and got to Krampus right after he died and only did 1 trade run afterwards before he spawned again but I didn't receive a drop.
    2. This has to be confirmed with others but might be good advice for @McDougle. I've heard that you using the moongates DOES count toward the 21+ runs required to spawn Krampus. So on less populated shards (or in the AM on other shards) you can start by doing the first 15-18 runs by moongate and then start doing actual running. I haven't been able to test this but sounds like a good solution (if true) for McDougle to shorten the amount of running.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Perhaps a review of the original publish notes will answer some of the questions:

edited December 2021
    I was doing runs on pac  i see the same 3 folks on road doing runs then all the dock sitters when Krampus spawns 

I did spawn him on Origin last night but couldn't kill myself 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080

Thanks @Mariah. I'm not sure how to interpret the 1 highlighted part.

"Krampus can only spawn when the required number of non-Moongate shortcut trade orders have been completed.  Once this requirement has been met, Krampus can spawn regardless of moongate use status."

How many "non-Moongate" shortcuts are required? Is that the 21+?? Or is that something else?

Also second part about trade orders resetting, it sounds like maybe it is based on the last time the person running killed Krampus and not what I thought which is Krampus death resetting for everyone regardless.
    Ill take a guess.  

Krampus needs an ambush to spawn. So after the initial 21 runs are done he has a chance to spawn at an ambush. 

On the way to a gate your run is valid. So he could spawn on you. But after using the gate, your run does not count toward the 3 for you.

But do you trigger a spawn after using a gate? If so you could cause him to spawn.
    Larisa said:

Gawd @ Larisa, you're making us sound like Siege now :p  
    LOL well it's true! Look what we did...

;)

Ugh now I have to do BODs there.....

LS has a star in Minoc. Come leech.

You can't count pets towards the shards population.  :p
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited December 2021
    @keven2002 my understanding has always been, your trade count status resets when you have fought krampus. If you don't fight him, your count stays.  However I am unsure whether being on screen during the fight, even if you don't hit him, will count as being 'there at the kill'

I would move the quotation marks in your intepretation, 'non-moongate shortcut' trade orders.
    Also note that phrase 'have been completed' So the trade doesn't count till it's handed in. Spawn on the way to the moongate is irrelevant.

As to how many is enough? I think that's one of the Devs 'for us to know and you to find out' They're not saying :D Devs throughout UO history have been notorious for doing that.
    Pawain said:
    Ugh now I have to do BODs there.....

LS has a star in Minoc. Come leech.

You can't count pets towards the shards population.  :p
    I haven't done any on LS, but I will come leech from Minoc.

I'll give you smalls on Origin...we will have one more tree full grown in New Mag, big celebration!

And pets are people too! ;)