Super Slayer description

Please can super slayers also display their vulnerabilities?

EG:

Enchantress’ Cameo
Reptile Slayer (Vulnerable to Arachnid)
Strength Bonus 1
Hit Point Regeneration 2
Hit Chance Increase 10%
Swing Speed Increase 5%
Damage Increase 20%
Durability 255/255

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,348
    I kind of want to ask 'why now?'  Slayer vulnerability to the opposite group has been a part of the game forever, since one of the most desirable weapons was a silver vanq kat. 
    I did wonder if perhaps the info on that fact had fallen by the wayside over the years, but no, it's still clearly mentioned at the top of the wiki page on slayers. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/slayer-property-items/
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited May 2018

I think Mervyn's response is going to be that we have a lot of new players now, who are asking a heck of a lot of questions. We are going through it ourselves. They just don't know where to look, they don't know this is even a thing, they don't know what these things are even called, to go to look.

The data is all fantastic for us, we've been using it for 20 years, but we've evolved with all of this. We know where it is, what it's called to find it, how to reference it.

It's a huge amount of unknowns for new players.

I couldn't remember the name of the Sacred Journey quest the other day, and the second you don't have a reference point, this stuff becomes really hard to find.

Only 2 days ago, I had problems finding data on the EJ Starter Deluxe Kit.

Psycho even said the other day, we almost need Counsellors/Seers back ingame, to help them all.

It's the Vets doing it at the moment.

• AQHFAQHF Posts: 47
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, what Cookie said. This game has so many idiosyncrasies, I came back three years ago after only playing in 1999. I am a casual player. I learn  new stuff all the time, but usually by pure  chance or from old vet help. I only just learned from this board that Anatomy + Eval Int  =Wrestling Skill, for ...reasons  This info doesn't seem to be in the Wiki, at least not that I can find. I often wish there was more info inside the game itself on how things worked or how to proceed on quests. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2018
    Petra let me answer the question, with a question. Do you know all the opposites off the top of your head?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited May 2018
    let's see.
    Repond - undead - I forget how many times I died on level 3 maps with lich and ogre lords before I learned that one.
    Arachnid - reptile (that one's easy, the terathans hate the ophidians
    Daemon (ie abyss) - elemental & recently Fey too 
    will that do?

You might be surprised how much info I can manage off the top of my head :D
    I'm impressed, but not everyone is as old as you and I.

no, but we had to learn about such things from others or by experience. The new generation need to be spoon-fed everything?  Why are they incapable of learning the way we did? isn't that part of the fun?
    edited May 2018
    The game is way too complex now for beginners. Every single part of the game has grown in complexity since we started playing. This would be a minor assistance. 

Why does it harm you for new players to be given knowledge, do you feel a sense of superiority when we the elite know more than the new players?

they have more than enough to wrap their heads around. With the LMC bonus not being displayed on non med armour and trying to explain the pvp spell damage increase caps..

anat + eval = wrestling with a minus 20 somewhere in there.

When real skill is required vs non real skill,

tactics not required for infecting.

80 dex required to parry

cut them a break. 

• RockRock Posts: 567
    A side benefit to this suggestion is that it would help the super-slayers stand out from normal slayers.  "Is that thing a super-slayer?  Will I have to worry about it in a fight with something else?"  Hmm, let me rephrase:  "A direct benefit to ...".
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,085
    Mervyn said:
    The game is way too complex now for beginners. Every single part of the game has grown in complexity since we started playing. This would be a minor assistance. 

Why does it harm you for new players to be given knowledge, do you feel a sense of superiority when we the elite know more than the new players?

they have more than enough to wrap their heads around. With the LMC bonus not being displayed on non med armour and trying to explain the pvp spell damage increase caps..

anat + eval = wrestling with a minus 20 somewhere in there.

When real skill is required vs non real skill,

tactics not required for infecting.

80 dex required to parry

cut them a break. 

I agree on the complexity.  But what would the screen look like when you hover over the item?

Can you photoshop a pic of what you would want to see on a few item types?

To get this done it has to include what is needed and some things will have to not be included if it makes a giant thing on the screen.

I would like more info when you hover over your toon.  Like Mana regen and stuff like that.  Some the weapon and armor things could be in that screen.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    Pincos already has it for EC.  When you equip a super slayer, your buff bar shows the slayer and the debuff bars shows the opposite.  He even has it for Eodon Slayer :)
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    I'm with Mervyn on this one.

I also think Equipping a shield should show the Penalty to throwing hit chance as a debuff. Had a returning player who recently managed to get to 100 throwing with a shield equipped and 0 parrying, Can you even imagine.... 
    edited May 2018
    Wearing a shield affects throwing hit chance? I didn’t know that. This game is not as good as I thought it was.

• King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Mervyn said:
    Wearing a shield affects throwing hit chance? I didn’t know that. This game is not as good as I thought it was.
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious with this..  But yes, even at 120 Parrying, it still drops your hit chance by 10% at 0 Parrying, it's like -90% Chance to hit, or something ungodly. 
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    Mervyn said:
    @Mervyn, think of it as a risk/reward trade off.  Bladeweavers, like archers, receive melee damage a lot less.  So letting them use a shield without a penalty gives them a capability archers cannot have.  Thus I do not view this as a bad thing.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
    ZekeTerra said:
    Pincos already has it for EC.  When you equip a super slayer, your buff bar shows the slayer and the debuff bars shows the opposite.  He even has it for Eodon Slayer :)
    A buff and debuff is an interesting idea, however i think some players might get annoyed at having a perma extra buff and debuff. I think it's better to just put it in the description like the original example I gave.

King_Greg said:
    Mervyn said:
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious with this..  But yes, even at 120 Parrying, it still drops your hit chance by 10% at 0 Parrying, it's like -90% Chance to hit, or something ungodly. 
    No i just didn't know this, and i think it's sad that it's not obvious to people.

• SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Would be great if it did say the (opposed to *group* ) after saying Slayer, which I never knew existed (or prob just didnt care). Either way it should be done.     
    edited May 2018
    Proof that the old elite guard have an unnecessary advantage over new/returning players. Needless to say he died to spawn.

edited May 2018
    And no I didn’t tell him, we reskilled, killed the tamers and took the champ, but that’s beside the point. 

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Mervyn said:
    Proof that the old elite guard have an unnecessary advantage over new/returning players. Needless to say he died to spawn.
    Funny that they knew to put spell channel on the repond slayer for the slimes but not to use repond slayer vs undead.
    edited May 2018
    It’s funny you mentioned that actually l, just told the wiki editor to add that to properties for spell chan on the official uo wiki this morning. (Before the pic was taken)

*cough*

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    +1

Overall, it’s kind of annoying how much you have to look on websites to learn what is what in the game. When uoguide goes down, almost everyone feels it. You could say “check the official wiki” and that is almost comical because, firstly, it’s not even a real wiki...it is structured like a blog not a wiki. Secondly, only a fraction of what is on uoguide is on the wiki. Some info on the wiki is more updated but finding anything on the wiki is far more confusing than uoguide (an actual wiki). 

Anyway...yes I’m all for more info about the game mechanics to actually be in the game. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,305
    I get most of my information on this game from third party sites on the internet too.  Can't really imagine any new player without a mentor that provides them with the information on how to play the game and the assets they need to progress sticking with this game more than a few weeks before moving on.  Still remember my first day in New Haven.  The mage where I was dropped directed me to the mage shop and the avatar that appears just across from him directed me to a website where I could buy things.  That was the only instruction I have received from the game for the two years I have been playing.  Even the sprite the game sent out to help me with a problem that I had would not answer any questions I had about the game.  I don't think players need to be spoon-fed, but they do need some basic information that allows them to accomplish what they want to do.  For example, if your learning inscription maybe it might be useful to know about the scribes that sell those bulk order deeds at the British Libraries.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited August 2020
    I recall there are single player rpg and also war games that allow players to check out guides from inside the game. This is good as some prefer to play full screen.

Imagine if uo wiki and guide is accessible from within the game, it will be very helpful for both veterans and new players.

Furthermore, the moment we find a bug or error in the wiki or guide, we can have a button there to report the issue on the spot. Not many of us would take the effort to open a browser, login here and post a bug or issue with the guide etc.

You can see the number of usual active posters here. 

This is why I urge the Dev to respond to reports of bugs and issues. I hope the day will not come when no one even bother to login here to report anything  anymore. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    King_Greg said:
    Mervyn said:
    Yeah, there is a TON and a HALF of mechanics rules which can severely affect a player's gameplay which, either are nowhere stated OR, if they are written somewhere, they require extensive and serious internet search digging to be found....

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE then complexity and depth of Ultima Online, it is what makes it the great game that it is, still capable of competing with games out there with astonishing Graphics but with only a limited and short lived gameplay....

Nonetheless, and this particularly for new and returning players as it has been stated, it would be necessary to have somewhere a comprehensive list of all of the mechanics and rules which regulate players gameplay....

Sure, there is UOGuide, Stratics, the UOWiki but sometimes the informations there might be out of date, no longer current and thus add it to the confusion rather then clearing it out....

Aside from the Hit Chance penalty when using a shield with the throwing skill, how many players know or remember of the change to hiding and drops which was introduce by Publish 47 or if one is farther then 16 tiles away from when the Monster dies ?

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/previous-publishes/2007-2/publish-47-24th-september/

Publish 47 Incremental Update 1

UO Team 02 Oct 2007 00:00:00 EST You will get less credit towards the new dungeon drops if you are hidden when the monster you are fighting dies. You will get no credit if you are more than 16 tiles away from the monster when it dies.
    These are only 2 examples for the sake of the discussion, my point being, that I do not see "how" a new or returning players could possibly get aware of such mechanics (and who knows how many more there are which we either do not know or simply no longer remember they exist...) and, YET, they would affect their gameplay IMMENSELY....

I mean, they would not get drops if they were not to fullfill those mechanics..... yet, getting drops IS the point of playing, right ?

But if they are not aware of those mechanics, how could they possibly play according to them ?

So, clarity and handiness of information about all of the mechanics of the game is Paramount here, to my opinion.

We do not need LESS rules, I LOVE the complexity of the game and its depth, we just need to have all those mechanics be KNOWN and readily available !!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    dvvid said:
    +1

Overall, it’s kind of annoying how much you have to look on websites to learn what is what in the game. When uoguide goes down, almost everyone feels it. You could say “check the official wiki” and that is almost comical because, firstly, it’s not even a real wiki...it is structured like a blog not a wiki. Secondly, only a fraction of what is on uoguide is on the wiki. Some info on the wiki is more updated but finding anything on the wiki is far more confusing than uoguide (an actual wiki). 

Anyway...yes I’m all for more info about the game mechanics to actually be in the game. 
    Yeah, I am of the opinion that the day that UOGuide or Stratics will no longer be available with their massive information on Ultima Online's gameplay mechanics, Ultima Online will become way more difficult to be played as one would no longer have a place to search for answers on anything...

I mean, even veteran and experienced players at some point find themselves doing searches on something about Ultima Online's mechanics and gameplay.... and that should tell all....

If that massive source of informations about Ultima Online was to be gone for good, I think that playing Ultima Online would become way, but way more difficult.