Next round of ToT style event Turn In Items and Rewards Need To Be Account Bound.

2»

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    We don't really know all the motivations for introducing "shard bound" on these items.  For instance, could a reason for doing this relate to trying to drive up active user time across the UO service, across shards, active user account numbers, etc?

It's also a guess that the "abuse" around botting/etc largely originates from EJ accounts.  That's a reasonable guess to make, as there could be less risk associated with those accounts getting banned/etc.  It remains strange that EJ accounts can receive the participation drops.  Again, there could be other reasons for letting this be.

@ popps, I disagree the economy would be destroyed. You are still free to sell all the dungeon participation drops.  If you take the example of the SDI50 book, for 200 drops, you are much better off just selling 200 drops and buying a non-shard bound variant of the book, and you'll have gold leftover.  I image most casual players don't sell the claimed artifacts.

Eliminating shard bound altogether would be fine too, though curbing possible EJ account abuse, if that's the a root issue, seems like a pre-req.  Again, there may be other factors at play that prevent such moves.
    I disagree the economy would be destroyed. You are still free to sell all the dungeon participation drops.  If you take the example of the SDI50 book, for 200 drops, you are much better off just selling 200 drops and buying a non-shard bound variant of the book, and you'll have gold leftover.  I image most casual players don't sell the claimed artifacts.

With the small but quite meaningfull detail, though, that while Shard Bound items can be sold indefinitely, today, in 6 months, in 1 Year and more, the sale of the drops would only be meaningfull during the short and imited time frame of the Event...

Gone the Event, gone the guy at the Dungeon entrance, gone is the ability to sell the drops...

Sorry but no, I much prefer Shard Bound to Account Bound, and stay of my opinion that Account Bound would be detrimental to a Shard's economy.
  • popps said:
    We don't really know all the motivations for introducing "shard bound" on these items.  For instance, could a reason for doing this relate to trying to drive up active user time across the UO service, across shards, active user account numbers, etc?

It's also a guess that the "abuse" around botting/etc largely originates from EJ accounts.  That's a reasonable guess to make, as there could be less risk associated with those accounts getting banned/etc.  It remains strange that EJ accounts can receive the participation drops.  Again, there could be other reasons for letting this be.

@ popps, I disagree the economy would be destroyed. You are still free to sell all the dungeon participation drops.  If you take the example of the SDI50 book, for 200 drops, you are much better off just selling 200 drops and buying a non-shard bound variant of the book, and you'll have gold leftover.  I image most casual players don't sell the claimed artifacts.

Eliminating shard bound altogether would be fine too, though curbing possible EJ account abuse, if that's the a root issue, seems like a pre-req.  Again, there may be other factors at play that prevent such moves.
    I disagree the economy would be destroyed. You are still free to sell all the dungeon participation drops.  If you take the example of the SDI50 book, for 200 drops, you are much better off just selling 200 drops and buying a non-shard bound variant of the book, and you'll have gold leftover.  I image most casual players don't sell the claimed artifacts.

With the small but quite meaningfull detail, though, that while Shard Bound items can be sold indefinitely, today, in 6 months, in 1 Year and more, the sale of the drops would only be meaningfull during the short and imited time frame of the Event...

Gone the Event, gone the guy at the Dungeon entrance, gone is the ability to sell the drops...

Sorry but no, I much prefer Shard Bound to Account Bound, and stay of my opinion that Account Bound would be detrimental to a Shard's economy.
    There's an old saying - you snooze, you lose.  That aside, I still believe most casual players simply don't sell the claimed drops.  The "professional" players / resellers are hopefully the minority.

On the other hand, I've been a repeated proponent of bringing events like this back, on a periodic basis, e.g. a random "past event" one weekend a month.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    If it were permanent content maybe, but best in slot items available for limited time periods of play, even once a year is moronic already. Adding in Account bound on top of that just further limits it from the hands of new and returning players. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    King_Greg said:
    If it were permanent content maybe, but best in slot items available for limited time periods of play, even once a year is moronic already. Adding in Account bound on top of that just further limits it from the hands of new and returning players. 
    @King_Greg ;

Out of curiosity, is there a list somewhere of what items are considered as "best in slot", of course, depending on what Template one is talking about ?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    STOP with the shard bound BS.  Atl may suck but we are at least able to get stuff for our less populated shards there.  Not everybody has the ability to farm 24/7 to get what they want.
  • I never see these botters/scripters people always talking about. I hear about it so often, but I sure don't ever see it. Plus even if you can write your own scripts, making one that can farm for you in hythloth right now seems pretty fukking complicated.
    So I'm for sure not at all ok with this idea lol. No way in hell would I want account-bound items to stop the literally 0 instances of botting I run across.
    BTW this is gonna sound crazy, but you can always lure paragons to them. If their bots are good enough to handle paragon balrons, then someone needs to hire those dudes because that's some damn good AI. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2021
    I never see these botters/scripters people always talking about. I hear about it so often, but I sure don't ever see it. Plus even if you can write your own scripts, making one that can farm for you in hythloth right now seems pretty fukking complicated.
    So I'm for sure not at all ok with this idea lol. No way in hell would I want account-bound items to stop the literally 0 instances of botting I run across.
    BTW this is gonna sound crazy, but you can always lure paragons to them. If their bots are good enough to handle paragon balrons, then someone needs to hire those dudes because that's some damn good AI. 

"Some of the bots are actually a lot better than players. Think they can take on paragon balrons.
    They will auto redacted, auto redacted, auto redacted when disarmed, auto redacted, auto redacted, auto redacted.
    They do not use the official client"

*redacted comments so as to not promote features of third party software

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    I never see these botters/scripters people always talking about. I hear about it so often, but I sure don't ever see it. Plus even if you can write your own scripts, making one that can farm for you in hythloth right now seems pretty fukking complicated.
    Just because your 0% understanding of whatever they are doing or can't do it yourself doesn't make it 'complicated'. I don't know how to set up a tent but I am sure it's not complicated. You have no idea what foundation or program they use so that's an extremely ignorant thing to say. The ones on Atlantic that run around 23/7 seem 'chicken' when they get below a certain hp threshold and run outside.

Seems a lot of people are in agreement to ditch shard bound in favor of account bound, among with several of the improvements I have listed. Hopefully we see this next round!
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2021
    I see few players that would rather have account bound.  I see only Popps that wants shard bound.

Everyone I see on LS wants neither.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Pawain said:
    I see few players that would rather have account bound.  I see only Popps that wants shard bound.

Can we get a BIG AMEN

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Pawain said:

Yes, same with me. They don't solve any major issues but create more problem. It won't make things cheaper. It won't help returning players. It does not make the game better. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs