Targeting

Using "Target Nearest Enemy" during these events is pretty horrendous
For those using life leech, it is especially bad, as it can cost you your life and waste your time going outside to get resurrected and such.  Especially bad when using a potion of glorious fortune, which costs actual money to even obtain.

This post comes mainly as a response to playing as an archer in the Trammel side of the dungeon, although I'm sure it affects many other templates. 

Targeting is ruined by:
  • Summons.  In an area full of EVs, RCs, etc, you have to cycle through your targets constantly.  Also, if it targets a summon from a guildmember, you'll strike it then it will chase you down everywhere you go trying to kill you.  

• Mobs that are spawning outside of the walls of the dungeon.  Why are they even spawning there?  

• Mobs that are spawning under the ground.  Again, why are they even spawning there?

• Ninjitsu mirror images.  Especially fun when there are, for example, 2 people using mirror images...that's 8 added targets that are pointless.

• Mobs that appear to be there, but apparently aren't (otherwise known as "ghost mobs").  These are especially frustrating as it is straight up a BUG that has existed for quite some time.  Making it more aggravating is the fact that these were supposedly fixed.  What happened to that?  They stand there, moving, like a living mob, but they are invalid targets.  Often with 0 health but sometimes with partial or even full health.  These fake mobs litter the dungeon sometimes before you even step inside.

• Mobs that are within the dungeon boundaries but on the other side of a wall.  You cannot attack them through the walls, so this isn't helpful.

• Mobs that are under the floor of a bridge.  I could have a mob standing right beside me but I'm targeting what is below the bridge I'm standing on, which cannot be hit.
Targeting needs to be smarter, in my opinion.  Target Nearest Enemy should target valid targets that you can actually strike, like mobs that are in your line of sight.  Not through floors or walls. 

Not sure if everyone would agree, but I also think that in facets that are not Felucca should not have Target Nearest Enemy targeting other people's summons or mirror images.  It is completely pointless.

And just to emphasize, the bug with invalid target mobs that don't actually exist needs further examining by the developers.  Above all, this might be the most pressing issue.  
Tagged:

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    @Seth ; posted the counter attack with WW macro.  I am able to target a mob with it.  But the WW turns off a lot and the Counter attack never goes off for me.  45DCI 91 Bush.

Using that macro helped me a lot tho.

I agree targeting is not great.

Would be nice to see other players macro attempts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Pawain said:
    @ Seth  posted the counter attack with WW macro.  I am able to target a mob with it.  But the WW turns off a lot and the Counter attack never goes off for me.  45DCI 91 Bush.

Using that macro helped me a lot tho.

I agree targeting is not great.

Would be nice to see other players macro attempts.
    I tried chaining several spells in the past, and there needs to be a delay between warrior specials or spells. The delay below works at just 0.5 seconds (type 0.5 not 500ms)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Targeting has been deteriorating for the last couple of years and is it’s operation is particularly frustrating at these events.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not work at all, sometimes it targets pets, sometimes it targets me and sometimes it targets things somewhere else on the shard.  It’s operation is completely unpredictable. Glad to see am not the only one frustrated with it.  I use a simple macro with just one command.  It worked great three years ago now never know what will happen.
    Arnold7 said:
    Targeting has been deteriorating for the last couple of years and is it’s operation is particularly frustrating at these events.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not work at all, sometimes it targets pets, sometimes it targets me and sometimes it targets things somewhere else on the shard.  It’s operation is completely unpredictable. Glad to see am not the only one frustrated with it.  I use a simple macro with just one command.  It worked great three years ago now never know what will happen.
    For warriors, need to move around a bit and be careful with ghost graphics due to client bug. When I press WW and it does not fire off, normally it is targeting something it cannot hit, so I move a step or so. 
    Well that sux.  I use CC so i dont know how to set delays.  But that macro targets the nearest mob and turns on  CA. I then use WW by dbl clicking on the icon.
    I have not been using CC macro since 5 years ago, and before that I was using uoassist macro all the time.

It looks like they added this function in classic.

Delay Adds a delay to the macro. (measured in ‘ticks’ 10 ticks = 1 second)

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Not sure what this is to do with the topic. 
    dvvid said:
    I was replying to Pawain. 
    edited October 2021
    dvvid said:
    We all know targeting picks up things that it is not supposed to. Just trying to get input for a macro that will help us deal with what we got.  The devs think they fixed it and the ghost mobs. Takes 10 minutes of playing to see that they did not.

If you think these are bugs, put them in that forum.  then Yoshi will point out where they were reported years ago. :)
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Honestly it’s probably pointless to even make this thread because nothing will probably change. Would be cool to get some response from a dev though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    edited October 2021
    I use Pinco's EC and use closest enemy on a pure archer, no problem.  I try to stay away from the ones I don't want to annoy.
    Sometimes you're bound to get killed but not from targeting alone, I'm in the wrong place if I'm closest to a Para, heh. 
    Agree with your points, one of the reasons for dying is due to targeting not working as intended.

Ghost targets continue to be an issue.

I recall someone posted saying targeting is not always "nearest", while we sit there surrounded and wonder why it did not fire off.

I think these are bugs... oops bugs? They have a huge list and they are now back working on Legacy. No time. :D

Seth said:
    @ dvvid
    Agree with your points, one of the reasons for dying is due to targeting not working as intended.

I recall someone posted saying targeting is not always "nearest", while we sit there surrounded and wonder why it did not fire off.

I think these are bugs... oops bugs? They have a huge list and they are now back working on Legacy. No time. :D

@ Bleak @ Misk
    I did not say it but that happens to me still, but less than it did before I put in your macro. He stands there and I wonder why the heck is he not swinging!! Sometimes I can press the macro again and he will start again.
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ dvvid

@ Bleak @ Misk
    I did not say it but that happens to me still, but less than it did before I put in your macro. He stands there and I wonder why the heck is he not swinging!! Sometimes I can press the macro again and he will start again.
    I cannot say it works perfectly, so I also moved around a bit hoping it hits the right target and get trigger off.  :#

I still wish the Dev team can spend more time on fine tuning such issues and problem with targeting is not new.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited October 2021
    Seth said:
    I have not been using CC macro since 5 years ago, and before that I was using uoassist macro all the time.

One function they need to add to macros, is the ability to use the mouse wheel in CC macros (without UOA). Mouse Wheel Up, Mouse Wheel Down, Mouse Wheel Press, etc.
    Seth said:

One function they need to add to macros, is the ability to use the mouse wheel in CC macros (without UOA). Mouse Wheel Up, Mouse Wheel Down, Mouse Wheel Press, etc.

Modern mouse comes with software that can map all the mouse key to any functions. 
    It even comes with built-in macro, though I don't use them because EC's macro is quite easy to use. 

Basically for a dungeon crawl I can operate with one hand using a MMO mouse like the above. For some events, I bring along my 4xbard which I control with a Razer Tartarus keypad with my left hand only.